Chad Ford's draft report Card

K

king07

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-080627

Round 1: Jason Thompson (12)

Round 2: Sean Singletary (42), Patrick Ewing Jr. (43)

Analysis: A team should not be criticized just for doing the unexpected. But the Kings made a huge reach for Thompson at No. 12. He's going to be a solid rotation player at best. But it looks like he might be the Shelden Williams of this draft. With solid players like Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur and Mario Chalmers and upside guys like Anthony Randolph and Marreese Speights on the board, I think the Kings blew it.
Singletary could be a nice second-round pick. But I have a hard time believing Ewing has a spot in the league.

Grade: C-

It's really fun to go back and look at past draft grades. It has to be the stupidest draft tradition. How in the heck does anyone know how good any team did the night after the draft?

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wouldnt have minded Speights....But Ford is way off saying Arthur is better then Thompson. I'm pretty sure Jason is going to do better in the league then Darrel 'rebounds scare me' Arthur

It's really fun to go back and look at past draft grades. It has to be the stupidest draft tradition. How in the heck does anyone know how good any team did the night after the draft?
The idea of basically grading the future right now is pretty funny.:)

Yes!

why don't we grade chad fords draft analysis and grades?
Brilliant idea. I will never believe that any sports writer understands basketball (or evaluates telent) better than the average team's scouting team. It's not an exact science, granted, but Chad Ford doesn't know any better than anyone else who is going to pan out and who isn't.

Players from smaller schools don't get the coverage/hype that players from larger schools get, in much the same way that the Kings themselves don't get the coverage that teams from markets with larger populations get. The fact is that we drafted someone who hadn't been hyped like the better-known choices. That doesn't mean that it's a bad pick. It might mean that we could have gotten him later, but I don't think that's guaranteed.

When it comes to the future of the Kings, I'm just not that concerned with what ESPN thinks about the subject. I don't think it would be very difficult to go down the years and find lots and lots of players that Chad Ford completely whiffed on...so who gives a damn about his grade? I want to see how the new guys play before grading anything.

Last edited:
chad ford? two words: darko milicic.
Two more: Macej Lampe.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Round 1: Dwyane Wade, G, Marquette (No. 5)
Round 2: Jerome Beasley, C, North Dakota (No. 33)
It's tough to criticize Pat Riley for passing on Lampe when 24 other teams did the same thing. Wade was the most ready to contribute now, and that was important to Riley.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The Heat got an A-.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1573414

2003 Draft report card for the Pistons....wow this is hilariously ironic:

"Given their need for help in the frontcourt, it’s hard to argue with Joe Dumars for taking Milicic over Anthony. If he is as good as advertised, the Pistons could be in the NBA Finals next season. Delfino, meanwhile, could be another Manu Ginobili when he finally gets to the NBA -- probably after next season."

Because it's fun. Everyone saying "I don't know about that pick, could be good could be bad" about everything would be boring and stupid. Why even have commentators at the draft? Hell, why even watch the draft? All anyone would say is, "let's wait 3 years before we judge this one."

ESPN's love of the small market

Because it's fun. Everyone saying "I don't know about that pick, could be good could be bad" about everything would be boring and stupid. Why even have commentators at the draft? Hell, why even watch the draft? All anyone would say is, "let's wait 3 years before we judge this one."
I see your point, but fun or no fun, the truth is that we're not going to know for a while whether these guys are any good or not. Boring? Maybe. Stupid? Not at all.

Besides, I'm an optimist and a Kings fan...if I'm going to try and make a completely premature evaluation of our latest player like Chad did, it's going to be on the side of "Jason Thompson, surprise candidate for Rookie of the Year." :D

It's all about hype, capturing the interest of the biggest demographic/market and showing those viewers/readers the most advertising possible...everything else, including the potential of a mid-major player being a good NBA player, is secondary to those guys.

I see your point, but fun or no fun, the truth is that we're not going to know for a while whether these guys are any good or not. Boring? Maybe. Stupid? Not at all.

Besides, I'm an optimist and a Kings fan...if I'm going to try and make a completely premature evaluation of our latest player like Chad did, it's going to be on the side of "Jason Thompson, surprise candidate for Rookie of the Year." :D

It's all about hype, capturing the interest of the biggest demographic/market and showing those viewers/readers the most advertising possible...everything else, including the potential of a mid-major player being a good NBA player, is secondary to those guys.
I don't see what the harm is in making grades based on subjective projections, that's what GM's do, why shouldn't we? That's what sports is all about, we all like to play armchair GM; and why shouldn't we? That's the game, trying to project what players are going to do, that's the most important job in all of sports.

I don't see what the harm is in making grades based on subjective projections, that's what GM's do, why shouldn't we? That's what sports is all about, we all like to play armchair GM; and why shouldn't we? That's the game, trying to project what players are going to do, that's the most important job in all of sports.
Very true but that doesnt mean that this draft grade stuff isnt ridiculous.

"With solid players like Brandon Rush"

He lost me there.
Brandon Rush is a solid player. Not a star, but well worth a near mid-1st rounder IMO.

I think Jonathan Givony, who gave us a C- over at DraftExpress, said it best: we just didn't get value for our picks. While I'm willing to give Thompson a chance because of the latent talent and potential he possesses, I'm just not sure about Singletary and Ewing, Jr.--at all.

Brandon Rush is a solid player. Not a star, but well worth a near mid-1st rounder IMO.

I think Jonathan Givony, who gave us a C- over at DraftExpress, said it best: we just didn't get value for our picks. While I'm willing to give Thompson a chance because of the latent talent and potential he possesses, I'm just not sure about Singletary and Ewing, Jr.--at all.
I may be biased, but I don't think Rush will do anything in the NBA.
And I agree with you, but 2nd round picks are quite the crapshoot anyway. Shoot the 27th pick was traded for cash alone.