ESPN's coverage of the NBA is terrible

Somebody brought up Van Gundy earlier and i agree, i cannot stand him. I wouldn't say i respected him as a coach, but now as a commentator, i realize that he is an idiot. He is like cotton mcknight on Dodgeball. he never has anything relevant to say and he just irritates me.

And mike tirico is great. how can you not like him? he could read the dictionary and i would buy the recording. Not really, but im just saying, i enjoy his commentating.

Somebody brought up Van Gundy earlier and i agree, i cannot stand him. I wouldn't say i respected him as a coach, but now as a commentator, i realize that he is an idiot. He is like cotton mcknight on Dodgeball. he never has anything relevant to say and he just irritates me.

And mike tirico is great. how can you not like him? he could read the dictionary and i would buy the recording. Not really, but im just saying, i enjoy his commentating.
He's pretty good on NBA broadcasts, to be fair. One of the best in the current field, in fact. I'm being honest.

My dislike of him has more to do with his football broadcasts, and all he does anymore is Monday Night Football, where I think he's just atrocious. He talks too much, drowning out the analysts who I actually enjoy, unlike a lot of fans. He gives dozens of meaningless statistics per game; when I say meaningless, I mean TRULY meaningless, like "this is a guy who led the ACC in yards from scrimmage in games played in a dome with a retractable roof from '99-'03, but he hasn't shown that dominance on the professional level". Who gives a good GD? Just tell us what the down and distance are, set up the play, and give us the results. Your team will do the rest.

(And I wish he would just cut his hair.)

He's pretty good on NBA broadcasts, to be fair. One of the best in the current field, in fact. I'm being honest.

My dislike of him has more to do with his football broadcasts, and all he does anymore is Monday Night Football, where I think he's just atrocious. He talks too much, drowning out the analysts who I actually enjoy, unlike a lot of fans. He gives dozens of meaningless statistics per game; when I say meaningless, I mean TRULY meaningless, like "this is a guy who led the ACC in yards from scrimmage in games played in a dome with a retractable roof from '99-'03, but he hasn't shown that dominance on the professional level". Who gives a good GD? Just tell us what the down and distance are, set up the play, and give us the results. Your team will do the rest.

(And I wish he would just cut his hair.)
I like Mike Tiricos sound on football and basketball, i think his commentating is way better than the Tony and Jaws on MNF

They are there to provide color commentary, and he's there to provide play by play. I know that most people don't like Tony and Jaws, but I do (Jaws more than Tony). I liked Theismann, too, and haven't watched as much since he left.

Tirico's job, as a play by play man, is to give us down and distance, set up the play, and give us the results. Letting us know yardages and other numbers relevant to the game and the players in the game is all well and good, but I think he goes overboard more often than not, and it comes at the expense of the other guys who I would rather hear anyways.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's funny to me to hear people suggest that Kornheiser is the worst part of MNF since, as a non-football fan, Kornheiser is the only reason I would even consider watching Monday Night Football.

I like Van Gundy. Not afraid to say what he thinks.

I like Van Gundy. Not afraid to say what he thinks.
Thats his problem. lol.

Does anyone watch cold pizza or whatever it is call now? i absolutely hate Skip Bayless. I feel that he is one of the worst sports analysis people of all time. He is always wrong and hardly ever admits to being wrong. They swear like he is a genius on that show when he is really a complete idiot. I cannot stand him or anybody on Around the horn. I just pretty much hate everyone on ESPN except for Chris Berman, Greenie, Golic, and Erin Andrews because she is hot.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Berman stinks. He's a preening schmoe that doesn't comprehend anything but football. He would be greatly improved by a dead rat in the mouth.

if only NBA on NBC would come back.
AGREED!!! That theme music and the intros with Bob Costas narrating could make a Clippers/Bucks game in November sound interesting!!!

The closest thing to the NBA ON NBC that we have is TNT's coverage which is actually quite respectable! Marv Albert, Kevin Harlan & co. do a great job with play-by-play, and Ernie, Kenney & Chuck are the best in-studio NBA show in a long time!!!

As for ESPN, I like some of their analysts (Legler and Greg Anthony mainly). Everyone else is right though... their game coverage sucks royally!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
"Quite respectable?" It's bad enough that people think that NBC's coverage was better than ABC/ESPN's coverage, which I personally don't agree with, but anybody who thinks that NBC was better than TNT, to quote my favorite media personality, needs a dead rat in the mouth. TNT has the best NBA coverage that the NBA has ever had, anywhere. "Quite respectable," indeed.

"Quite respectable?" It's bad enough that people think that NBC's coverage was better than ABC/ESPN's coverage, which I personally don't agree with, but anybody who thinks that NBC was better than TNT, to quote my favorite media personality, needs a dead rat in the mouth. TNT has the best NBA coverage that the NBA has ever had, anywhere. "Quite respectable," indeed.
Please...ESPN dials down the volume on the crowd and focuses it more on the announcers! There were so many times I watched the NBA on NBC, and the crowd was so loud that I couldn't even hear the announcers!!! They made you feel like you were there!!! ABC/ESPN could turn a game between Jordan's Bulls against Ewing's Knicks at the Garden in April into a boring and mundane event!!! I agree that TNT does an excellent job, and when it was them AND NBC doing the NBA, it was WAY more interesting!!! Now we have the 40 games in 40 nights to enjoy before the anti-climactic finish of the Finals on ABC! It's been that way since 2003!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Please...ESPN dials down the volume on the crowd and focuses it more on the announcers! There were so many times I watched the NBA on NBC, and the crowd was so loud that I couldn't even hear the announcers!!! They made you feel like you were there!!!
You say that like it's a good thing!!! If the announcers weren't meant to be heard, they wouldn't be there!! I've been to games live, and I personally prefer hearing the announcers! I think that ESPN/ABC announcers are better than NBC's announcers! Maybe if I use exclamation points after each sentence, you'll see that I really mean it, and maybe you'll change your mind!!!

You say that like it's a good thing!!! If the announcers weren't meant to be heard, they wouldn't be there!! I've been to games live, and I personally prefer hearing the announcers! I think that ESPN/ABC announcers are better than NBC's announcers! Maybe if I use exclamation points after each sentence, you'll see that I really mean it, and maybe you'll change your mind!!!
I also quite enjoy hearing the announcers call the game. I mean, if they weren't telling me what was happening, how would I understand any of what is going on? I mean, rebound, foul, field goal, what the hell does any of that mean? I seriously have to have constant play-by-play and retellings of players life history game in game out for me to comprehend these massive events. Also, maybe if I write in green and a different font all the time people will realize I am a very important person, completely unique from the menagerie of other posters, and above all, be more likely to read my posts.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
But... that last sentence is true, except for the "green" part. I mean, I could just put an ode to me, and how great I am, in my signature instead, but that would take up too much space.

Last edited: