Garnett to the Celtics (merged)

Apparently this just might happen.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7073708

EDIT - I meant to add a question mark to the title, it's not a done deal at all. Sources are just reporting it as very likely.

Sources: Celtics close to deal for Garnett
Jeff Goodman
FOXSports.com, Updated 7 minutes ago

The on-again, off-again deal with the Boston Celtics acquiring Kevin Garnett apparently is back on.

According to sources, the current deal on the table has the 6-foot-11 Garnett heading to Boston and the Celtics dealing away Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff's hefty expiring contract and Rajon Rondo. There may also be other players and draft picks involved.

It's not quite done, but three industry sources — including one close to the Celtics — told FOXSports.com that it's extremely close and could become official within the next 48 hours.

"It's basically done," one source said. "If it does happen, this will make the Celtics relevant again."

Celtics boss Danny Ainge attempted to trade for the Minnesota Timberwolves star forward prior to the NBA Draft, but the 31-year-old perennial All-Star had no interest in heading to Boston.

However, things may have changed now that Ainge and the Celtics pulled off the draft day deal with Seattle for Ray Allen.

There have been numerous discussions during the last week between Ainge and Wolves vice president Kevin McHale, who are good friends dating back to their days playing together on the Celtics.

Garnett has the option to get out of his contract — which pays $22 million next season — after the 2008 campaign and become a free agent. He averaged 22.4 points and 12.8 rebounds per game last season — his 12th in the NBA.

Garnett is a 10-time NBA All-Star and was the league's MVP in 2004. He is also one of the better defensive players in the NBA.

The deal would give Ainge a team that could compete with anyone in the Eastern Conference with the trio of Paul Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The Celtics would also have nearly $60 million in salaries between the three players for next season alone.

The Wolves would get one of the league's top young players in the 22-year-old Jefferson, who averaged 16 points and 11 boards in 69 games a year ago, and a second-year point guard in Rondo with plenty of potential. They would also get Ratliff's $11.7 million salary, which will come off the books after this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The idea of Danny Ainge actually pulling this off makes me throw up in my mouth just a little.

A

AriesMar27

damn... if that goes thru... damn... allen, pierce and kg. lebron who? that would be game over for the eastern conference.... but its not gonna happen so who cares...

A

AriesMar27

Care to share why you think it won't happen?
no way ainge pulls that off... no one is that lucky... they bomb the season, miss out on the number 1 pick and still end up with ray allen and kg without trading greg oden...

if that trade goes thru im going to email danny ainge and have him pick my lottery tickets....

I think if this trade happens it could trigger a lot of other trades. You got to remember that when a superstar is on the block like KG is, teams are holding out to see if they might be able to get that player. Once that opportunity is gone teams might go ahead with smaller deals they had already decided on.

btw I see what you mean VF.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Forget the Celtics, this could actually make the T-Wolves relevant again in a few years. Garnett is as good as gone anyway. If they've got Al Jefferson and Corey Brewer and Rajon Rondo and all that cap space back from Ratliff's contract, that's a heck of a foundation to build off of. Meanwhile the Celtics become the next Miami. They'll compete for a few more years, probably win a championship, and then they'll be back at square one again. I don't know, I think it's got to be more rewarding winning a championship with players you've developed instead of going out and selling off your future to buy one. I liked what the Celtics were doing until that stupid Ray Allen trade. In three years Jeff Green will be better than Ray Allen and he'll be playing for another 10 years once Allen retires.

Forget the Celtics, this could actually make the T-Wolves relevant again in a few years. Garnett is as good as gone anyway. If they've got Al Jefferson and Corey Brewer and Rajon Rondo and all that cap space back from Ratliff's contract, that's a heck of a foundation to build off of. Meanwhile the Celtics become the next Miami. They'll compete for a few more years, probably win a championship, and then they'll be back at square one again. I don't know, I think it's got to be more rewarding winning a championship with players you've developed instead of going out and selling off your future to buy one. I liked what the Celtics were doing until that stupid Ray Allen trade. In three years Jeff Green will be better than Ray Allen and he'll be playing for another 10 years once Allen retires.
If they win a championship, then this trade is worth it, end of story...

And Jeff Green has Shane Battier written all over him. A guy who will be good, play hard, and will give you all the intagibles but will never be a superstar. And I love Shane Battier as a player, but he's no superstar and neither will Jeff Green.

If Boston pulls this off, then damn I'd be scared if I'm in the East. Props to Danny Ainge if he can pull this off.

And Jeff Green has Shane Battier written all over him. A guy who will be good, play hard, and will give you all the intagibles but will never be a superstar. And I love Shane Battier as a player, but he's no superstar and neither will Jeff Green.

If Boston pulls this off, then damn I'd be scared if I'm in the East. Props to Danny Ainge if he can pull this off.

Yeah, I agree. Green is more a pretty good role player IMO. I think he'll get like 15/7/4 in his prime, but he's never going to be great.

if boston pulls this off, they'll be the new beast of the east. a few small trades here and there... maybe pull off what the rockets did n get some of those foreign players (JC navarro) and they could be contending for a title.

if boston pulls this off, they'll be the new beast of the east. a few small trades here and there... maybe pull off what the rockets did n get some of those foreign players (JC navarro) and they could be contending for a title.
They still won't have any bench to speak of, and their bench might actually be worse than the Clippers :eek:. But in the East it will be good enough.

They still won't have any bench to speak of, and their bench might actually be worse than the Clippers :eek:. But in the East it will be good enough.
they still have their midlevel exception. all they need are some solid role players to come off the bench to spell some of their starters.

PJ brown, cwebb are still available and possibly would sign cheap to play with these guys

Last edited:
Garnett is not going to the Celtics, it's just another rumor since nothing "exciting" is going on anymore for the offseason, atleast that is MY opinion. But, if "magically" Garnett does go to Celtics, their definently Eastern Conference Finals material.

Out

If the Celtics get KG, IMHO the trio of KG, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce will be a dominant force in the Eastern Conference, making probably Eastern Conference 2nd Round, haha maybe the East won't be so boring to watch in the upcoming season. :)

A

AriesMar27

i tried looking at the trade on realgm and it doesnt even add up moneywise those 3 combined only make up about 2/3 of kg's salary... how will this get done with the pieces that they have...

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

I'm just saying, you're basically trading the next three years for the seven years after that. There's more to sports than winning a championship. I'd rather have a really good team for 10 years and come close than to win one championship and then fade into obscurity for the next 10 years. There's 82 games in a season, the championship will feel pretty great and then it will fade into memory. It'll just be another banner you hang in the rafters. Not to mention that championship will feel a lot better as the reward at the end of a long period of drafting and developing your own players than it will feel with a bunch of mercenaries who will always be remembered best in someone else's jersey.

I'm not saying Boston shouldn't do this, but giving up Al Jefferson, Rajon Rondo, and Jeff Green? Let's see where everyone sits in 5 years and then judge whether Boston's getting away with a steal. Al Jefferson is already turning into a monster, Rondo's barely scratched the surface of his potential, and Ray Allen's going to be looking to retire in 5 years. As a fan, I'd be a lot more excited about watching a bunch of young guys making a name for themselves and trying to win it all every year than I would be about watching a cluster of stars who're bound to be a disappointment unless they win it all. A lot can happen in the playoffs. Remember the Lakers with Karl Malone and Gary Payton? You're setting yourself up for a letdown and selling off your future to do it. For Garnett, it's probably worth it. I'm just saying it's less of a slamdunk deal than people are making it out to be. I've got to like the guys I'm rooting for. I like seeing guys exceed expectations. I like underdogs. That's been a lot of the joy of being a Kings fan all these years. That's what differentiates us from teams like the Lakers and Yankees. I'd expect you guys to understand that.

i just moved to Boston this summer. and i want this to happen, so i can at least mildly care about the "home team" when they aren't playing the kings.

but...who the heck would play point guard for the celtics after this? i want someone to get kg the ball.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the trade happens. The Wolves were willing to make a similar deal before and it was Garnett that nixed it (reportedly). Obviously Allen was brought in to show KG they are in win now mode. McHale is only sticking around long enough in Minnesota to trade KG and provide cover to whoever the eventual successor is. He may as well help out his former team as his exit move, I guarantee Ainge will never be viewed as the architect of this thing and since this is a complete mortgage your future to win now move Ainge and Rivers are going to be on an extremely short clock - if it doesn't happen right away I'd wager they both go.

>I'm just saying, you're basically trading the next three years for the seven years after that. There's more to sports than winning a championship. I'd rather have a really good team for 10 years and come close than to win one championship and then fade into obscurity for the next 10 years. There's 82 games in a season, the championship will feel pretty great and then it will fade into memory. It'll just be another banner you hang in the rafters. Not to mention that championship will feel a lot better as the reward at the end of a long period of drafting and developing your own players than it will feel with a bunch of mercenaries who will always be remembered best in someone else's jersey.

this a difficult decision to make for ainge. it was either rebuild or trade pieces to win now. they had a cap chewing player in pierce and a bunch of young bucks. you know pierce is not going to be there when the others finally develop to contend for a ring.
rings matter not good/great teams. do we talk about ohhh how great the blazers were when adelman was coaching them? not really, i don't even remember them. only their fans do... do we talk about how great the utah jazz team was when sloan was coaching them? not really...
do they make videos for teams that come close but get snubbed? not that i'm aware of. the game is played with one goal in mind.. that is to win a championship. what the heck is the point of going to the playoffs every yeare and getting knocked out. how irritating is it to watch your team come close and know they don't have enough to get over the hump (think the nets when they had kmart, rj, kidd).

I'm not saying Boston shouldn't do this, but giving up Al Jefferson, Rajon Rondo, and Jeff Green? Let's see where everyone sits in 5 years and then judge whether Boston's getting away with a steal. Al Jefferson is already turning into a monster, Rondo's barely scratched the surface of his potential, and Ray Allen's going to be looking to retire in 5 years. As a fan, I'd be a lot more excited about watching a bunch of young guys making a name for themselves and trying to win it all every year than I would be about watching a cluster of stars who're bound to be a disappointment unless they win it all. A lot can happen in the playoffs. Remember the Lakers with Karl Malone and Gary Payton? You're setting yourself up for a letdown and selling off your future to do it. For Garnett, it's probably worth it. I'm just saying it's less of a slamdunk deal than people are making it out to be. I've got to like the guys I'm rooting for. I like seeing guys exceed expectations. I like underdogs. That's been a lot of the joy of being a Kings fan all these years. That's what differentiates us from teams like the Lakers and Yankees. I'd expect you guys to understand that.[/quote]

if boston has a chance to win it all, they should gamble on it. they were wishy washy with what they had before. pierce and all those young bucks... not going to work, no way, no how. pierce would be past his prime when the others were ready to contribute on a consistent basis.

you ask how good will these players be in 5 yrs.. does it matter? will they bring a championship to boston? they have a chance in one offseason to go from the gutters of the eastern conference to becoming a legitimate title contending team. that reference with malone and payton aren't even close to comparing garnett and allen. both of them are considerably younger than malone and payton. KG and ray will be contributing not just riding the coat tails of 2 superstars unlike malone and payton.

I think the trade happens. The Wolves were willing to make a similar deal before and it was Garnett that nixed it (reportedly). Obviously Allen was brought in to show KG they are in win now mode. McHale is only sticking around long enough in Minnesota to trade KG and provide cover to whoever the eventual successor is. He may as well help out his former team as his exit move, I guarantee Ainge will never be viewed as the architect of this thing and since this is a complete mortgage your future to win now move Ainge and Rivers are going to be on an extremely short clock - if it doesn't happen right away I'd wager they both go.
yeah, both gms are on the hot seat to do something right. it's actually a win win situation for both teams. wolves are in a transition period and moving KG to get a young PF isn't a bad move. you really believe they would fire ainge after bringing over KG and Ray Ray? imagine them all expiring all in the same offseason. LOL they would be seriously under the cap ;)

I love this trade for both teams. For min this will finally mean they will start to rebuild something that they should have done a long time ago. And it was pretty obivous that KG can no longer bring that team further then he has and it would be a waste of talent for him to stay. If the Wolves could get some talent, draft picks, and a expring contract out this trade it would be great for the rebuilding process (something the kings should looks at, lol)

For boston, that Ray Allen move would sneak them into the playoffs but if they combine this with a move to get KG and keep Paul Pirece this will make them the top dogs in the east. If Lebron and Sucbs could make the finals, i really could see a KG, Ray Ray, and PP as future champions.

And at some point Boston had to choose to Keep Paul or their young guys and it seems as if they choose Paul and I think they made the right decison. True they could have had 10 good years of Jefferson, G.Green, J. Green and Rondo who MIGHT become good players and good team some day. But likely then not I think that a team of Ray, Paul, and KG could achieve more then whatever that younger team could have ever then. We are talking about 3 possible hall of famers playing on one team, in a weak east. Sure the Cetics could build a great young team but if they can't win a title at the end of the day its pretty much all for nothing.

And from what i heard from draftexpress the deal would not include Rondo but Greald Green which would make sense for both teams. But i think the deal would be something like Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ratilft, Brain Scabine, 1 or 2 future draft picks for KG. And I think the lineups would look like this:

Minn

Foye
Green
Brewer
Jefferson
Blout

Boston

Rondo
Allen
Pirece
KG
Perkins

i tried looking at the trade on realgm and it doesnt even add up moneywise those 3 combined only make up about 2/3 of kg's salary... how will this get done with the pieces that they have...
Here's the trade as DraftExpress.com is reporting it:

This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.
Boston Celtics

Incoming Players
Kevin Garnett
Salary: $22,000,000 Years Remaining: 2

Outgoing Players: Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff
Minnesota Timberwolves

Incoming Players
Gerald Green
Salary: $1,440,960 Years Remaining: 1
Sebastian Telfair
Salary: $2,562,426 Years Remaining: 1
Al Jefferson