Mikki Moore Q & A

This deal might also prevent us from front loading KM's contract, which is due for extension next year. Not sure if this was planned by the front office, but I always thought front loading his contract, the way Chicago did with BW and Kirk Heinrich might give us more cap space 2 or 3 years down the line when lot of our big contracts come off the books. That won't be happening now.

We have Kevin's bird rights, so none of this stuff has any impact on his contract.

We have Kevin's bird rights, so none of this stuff has any impact on his contract.
No, I am not saying we shall let him go. What I am suggesting is that if we were to be well below the LT next year, we could have front loaded his contract. That would have given additional cap space, and helped sign free agents as well as give extensions to Cisco, QD, Justin, Hawes etc., when we went below the cap.

No, I am not saying we shall let him go. What I am suggesting is that if we were to be well below the LT next year, we could have front loaded his contract. That would have given additional cap space, and helped sign free agents as well as give extensions to Cisco, QD, Justin, Hawes etc., when we went below the cap.

Not if it's a 6 year extension. Then we'd be paying him like 14 million in 09 and like 12 million 5 years later instead of 12 million now and more 5 years later.

Not if it's a 6 year extension. Then we'd be paying him like 14 million in 09 and like 12 million 5 years later instead of 12 million now and more 5 years later.
Here is a link to Bulls salary page
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/salaries/bulls.html

Hinrich's salary starts at 11M, and goes down to 8M (not sure if his extn is for 5 or 6 years, with the final not listed on the link above).

Was just thinking aloud that such a model might suit us, as we are looking for cap space in 2009-10 and beyond. Have no idea that the front office was even contemplating it. Just that signing Miki to MLE reduces flexibility.

Here is a link to Bulls salary page
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/salaries/bulls.html

Hinrich's salary starts at 11M, and goes down to 8M (not sure if his extn is for 5 or 6 years, with the final not listed on the link above).

Was just thinking aloud that such a model might suit us, as we are looking for cap space in 2009-10 and beyond. Have no idea that the front office was even contemplating it. Just that signing Miki to MLE reduces flexibility.

Yeah but if we do that on Kevin's deal he gets paid more in 2 years than he does in 4. We're trying to have cap room in 1-2 years apparently. That doesn't help us at all.

Yeah but if we do that on Kevin's deal he gets paid more in 2 years than he does in 4. We're trying to have cap room in 1-2 years apparently. That doesn't help us at all.
See your point. Even the first year would have helped though.

Also, it doesn't seem like we shall have much cap after two years anyway (unless we are able to offload some of our longer contracts for shorter ones). As of now, that stage is three years away.