[PHX/SAS] -- series discussion (merged)

Who will win?

• Total voters
ergo the Duncan situation?

In the SAME FRIKIN GAME?

You could argue the points for Amare/Diaw to be suspended...
you could argue the points for Duncan not to be suspended...
but to agrgue them both SIMULTANEUSLY in the SAME game, is hogwash. You simply cannot split hairs so fine when the end result is to REWARD THE TEAM THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE for the mess. Period. the league could've chosen to recognize that Amare/Diaw didn't do anything to actually excalate the situation (unlikely) OR chosen to recognize that Duncan did MORE to escalate THAT situation (but still very little to escalate) (more likely). But to drop the cards where they did was just plain bullskit.
the league and many posters here have pointed out that in the duncan situation, there was no altercation, so the rule never went into effect. in the horry situation, there was an "altercation" seeing as how raja and nash reacted afterwards.

i agree with you, that rewarding the instigating team is unfair, but the league apparently is concerned with "correctness" and not "fairness."

what is REALLY eye-opening is that in the duncan situation, james jones should've shoved francisco elson afterwards, and then duncan and bowen would've been suspended for a game. a rule that actually incentivizes such an act is one that is clearly broken.

Nah, I can't go there with you... I mean, if Utah beat the Spurs, that would suit me just fine.

Unfortunately, like I've been saying for a couple of weeks, I think that the only team that could've beaten the Spurs laid down for the Warriors in the first round.
A full Suns squad could beat them. Even a depeleted one almost did.

Also, probably the only reason why you root for the Spurs is so that you dont look stupid for saying that Suns have no chance. Suns had and still have a really good chance. They are a better team.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Also, probably the only reason why you root for the Spurs is so that you dont look stupid for saying that Suns have no chance.
That's a pretty lame comment, IMHO. Slim isn't going to look stupid. He's backed up his comments with pretty in-depth reasoning. And this is all opinion anyway...

I'm not a Suns fan either, but for me, it's a case of which team do I hate more and in this series, it's the Spurs.

Slim, you didn't give your reasons for hating the Suns. Is there something particular if it's not just Pacific Division rivalry? D'Antoni's whining face? Nash always getting the MVP? Marion's ugly shot? :rolleyes:

what is REALLY eye-opening is that in the duncan situation, james jones should've shoved francisco elson afterwards, and then duncan and bowen would've been suspended for a game. a rule that actually incentivizes such an act is one that is clearly broken.
Nice take.

Suns will squeak out game 6 and completely trash the Spurs in game 7.

Another thing to watch for will be how the refs call it. Tight I would imagine. Should favor the Suns...except that Kurt Thomas absolutely cannot get into foul trouble and has always been very very foul prone.
I thought the suns got the favourable calls all night just like they have been getting all season barring a few games. Kurt Thomas fouled duncan a lot in the first quarter but the zebras swallowed their whistle, it led to many fumbled posessions for duncan.

I have no complaints either way, the champs are coming from the east anyways

I thought the suns got the favourable calls all night just like they have been getting all season barring a few games. Kurt Thomas fouled duncan a lot in the first quarter but the zebras swallowed their whistle, it led to many fumbled posessions for duncan.

I have no complaints either way, the champs are coming from the east anyways

As I see it if the Suns were getting favorable calls then Bowen should have fouled out in at least one game. Nash must have saddle sores, as Bowen has ridden him up and down the court all five games so far.:)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
the message is that the spurs can keep thier heads in the game but the immature suns cannot. i believe that horry did that to cause a stir on the suns bench and it frikkin worked. now whether or not the spurs knew it was comming is one thing but they (aside from horry) kept thier heads on straight. what would have happened if amare got there and began shoving people and a spurs fan threw a cup of beer at him... he should be suspended and the spurs "win" game 4

just stay on the bench
No, the message is that the 9th man on the Phoenix bench should clothesline Parker in front of the Spurs bench, while Duncan & Ginobli are sitting there. 9 times out of ten those guys come out on the floor to protect the "little guy". Then, they get suspended. The only message here is that in order to win Phoenix needs to play dirtier than the Spurs.

The Suns is gonna be pumped up and steal Game 6 in San Antonio.

Then Cheapshot Rob will get his title back by hitting the big shot to kill the Suns in Game 7.

That was my dream last night......
:p

i'm still stunned that the spurs actually won that game last night. i mean how the heck did they do that??? they kept chucking up brick after wide open brick... but that last 3 seconds. how mad do you think the suns and their fans were that BRUCE freaking BOWEN hit the game winning shot! i LOVED it!

i pick them in game 6 because they will be at home and they have proven that they can take away the 3 point shot for the suns. that is the key. they've also done a great job cutting off their running game. no running and no 3's= hard time for the suns to score points.

i really hope the spurs can close them out.i despise the suns. they are a bunch of whiny babies. nash is the only one on that team with any sense of class and dignity. amare is such a punk. d'antoni is so unprofessional. i've never liked that team ( ok just when they were playing the lakers ;)) i won't feel confident if the spurs have to play a game 7 in phoenix. they've won 2 games there, i'm not sure they can win 3.

on the flip side, how sweet would it be if there was a game 7 and robert horry hit a dagger 3 on their court to win the series for the spurs ;) it would be nice, but screw it. i don't want a game 7!

go spurs go!

i'm still stunned that the spurs actually won that game last night. i mean how the heck did they do that??? they kept chucking up brick after wide open brick... but that last 3 seconds. how mad do you think the suns and their fans were that BRUCE freaking BOWEN hit the game winning shot! i LOVED it!

i pick them in game 6 because they will be at home and they have proven that they can take away the 3 point shot for the suns. that is the key. they've also done a great job cutting off their running game. no running and no 3's= hard time for the suns to score points.

i really hope the spurs can close them out.i despise the suns. they are a bunch of whiny babies. nash is the only one on that team with any sense of class and dignity. amare is such a punk. d'antoni is so unprofessional. i've never liked that team ( ok just when they were playing the lakers ;)) i won't feel confident if the spurs have to play a game 7 in phoenix. they've won 2 games there, i'm not sure they can win 3.

on the flip side, how sweet would it be if there was a game 7 and robert horry hit a dagger 3 on their court to win the series for the spurs ;) it would be nice, but screw it. i don't want a game 7!

go spurs go!
Yuk. And hmm...I've always considered the Suns to be NOT so whiny. I think the Spurs are much worse in that regard. And I can't understand liking the idea of Bowen and HORRY (of all people) hitting game winning shots. Again, yuk.

Oh well...to each his/her own...

;)

Perhaps I was pessimistic, but ever since the 1st quarter that game had a strong feeling that Spurs were going to win. Suns were dodging bullets all night with the Spurs missing some shots they normally make and it was only a matter of time before they were going to take the lead.

Yuk. And hmm...I've always considered the Suns to be NOT so whiny. I think the Spurs are much worse in that regard. And I can't understand liking the idea of Bowen and HORRY (of all people) hitting game winning shots. Again, yuk.

Oh well...to each his/her own...

;)
whiny is clearly in the eye of the beholder, at least if Duncan is not considered whiny (imho).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was really enjoying this series. Emphasis on the "was." Now, however, I simply couldn't care less because IMHO the Spurs were handed the pivotal game 5. I'm actually watching a "House" rerun...

I hope the Suns can manage to find a way to win and get this to a one game, winner take all series. If that happens, I might actually find the enthusiasm to watch again.

If not, DIE SPURS SCUM!!!!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Pistons/Spurs, a rematch of my second favorite Finals ever (the only one I liked better was when Detroit beat the dog**** out of LA)... I can't wait!

Well, there's the new NBA champion. Nonetheless their season will have an asterisk from me.

Also, Pistons - Spurs was a great finals last time and it could be an interesting one again, although I would expect the Spurs to win in 5.

Last edited:
let's see the spurs bully someone who will actually fight back...

I'd have preferred to play the Suns if we got to the finals, but the Spurs will do just fine. I don't fear anybody in the western conference.

Last edited:
I'd have preferred to play the Suns if we got to the finals, but the Spurs will do just fine. I don't fear anybody in the western conference.
Haha! San Antonio will eat the Pistons alive.
Detroit could barely beat the team which has approximately 2.5 capable offensive players, no inside presence and whose best defender was not fit for the last few games.

same here....the season is over.....spurs/pistons slow, boring and every possession, every play will be painfully predictable....i don't hate any of these two teams just don't like their style....

and while I feel bad for the Suns, they lost game 6 because of the same reason I was HOPING they'd make the finals: they don't play any defense, and they can be taken advantage of by any smart team that does.

You want to run the fun and gun? OK. But eventually you're actually going to have to play like men and shut someone down. Phoenix never did in game 6.

nor have the pistons, but I'd consider both the pistons and spurs heavy favorites...

Both teams have already gone through their toughest conference opponent.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Uh, can I still root for Utah at this point?

Spurs haven't made it there yet....
Indeed, Utah might be the most appealing team left int eh palyoffs from an aesthetic sense. And they certainly aren't going to back down from anybody in a physical war. But this really should end up being San Antonio/Detroit again, thrilling as that may seem. Just the better, more experienced teams barring major chokage.