The Kings lied....

Just watched a piece on Gilbert Arenas and his dad and how they said Gilbert would be nothing and wouldn't make it at Arizona etc... and how before the 2001 NBA Draft the Kings told him if he was at pick 25 they would pick him and he wouldn't slip past pick 25 and instead the Kings of course picked Gerald Wallace.

Hey...Gerald Wallace wasn't that bad ;) .

But, in all due seriousness, I don't know whether the Kings "lied." Information gets passed around, some of it true, some of it false, and this kind of thing just seems rather commonplace in the draft. I mean, it does happen all the time...guarantees, reneging on the guarantee because the draft is that unpredictable, etc...fact of the matter is, I believe Gilbert got a lot of promises from many different teams. Otherwise why would he hold such a grudge about the situation? It can't just be one team, and he definitely had the talent alone to be a 1st rounder.

I heard about this about 2 years ago. In all fairness during this time we were heavy contenders. He most likely would have been riding the bench just like GW.

I've heard this a thousand times... Gil's "woah is me" story about this Kings is old. Gilbert is one of my favorite players and has great character and personality. But I'm so tired of hearing the whole "The Kings and everyone else passed on me, and now look at me..." story.

I've heard this a thousand times... Gil's "woah is me" story about this Kings is old. Gilbert is one of my favorite players and has great character and personality. But I'm so tired of hearing the whole "The Kings and everyone else passed on me, and now look at me..." story.
Teams passed on him when he was in HS, even the hometown team (UCLA).

The whole chip on my shoulder is a boring story. Arenas is a undersized shoot first guard with a "quirky" personality, and that's why teams passed on him, us included. We had no need for him when we had Bobby and Doug on the team and both players played defense. He has said that the Kings questioned his shooting, but still picked the non-shooting Wallace ("a monkey could shoot better" said Arenas in Slam Magazine) but Wallace was ideally a better fit for us at the time. He should be thanking us for passing on him, and allowing him to be drafted by the Warriors. His career could've gone very differently under a more experienced coach.

Gilbert's beef with the Olympic coaching staff probably stemmed partly from his Arizona days, when they lost the Championship game to Duke. If I remember correctly, Arenas was playing hurt, and Duke's backcourt was playing very physical defense. Can’t feel too good to lose out again, because of an annoying injury.

McMillan saw Gilbert’s whining for what it was and shut his butt up and left him blaming his coach for his own big mouth.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I liked Gilbert Arenas until recently. He is opening his mouth and whining a bit too much for my taste. And, he is turning out to be someone who is always blaming others. What a shame!

I liked Gilbert Arenas until recently. He is opening his mouth and whining a bit too much for my taste. And, he is turning out to be someone who is always blaming others. What a shame!
i think most of his comments are made tongue in cheek, but i could be wrong.

Oh good grief.

Waaaaa... the Kings lied. Waaaaa...

Suck it up, Arenas. It's a business. Deal with it.

:rolleyes:
I fully agree, it would be one thing if Gilbert had come out of college early and lost eligibility because a team made him a promise and then changed their minds. However, Gil came out after his senior year, so what was the alternative, if the Kings hadn't said they would take him at #25 was he going to abandon basketball and take a job doing financial analysis or starting a ranch?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, if we had taken Arenas instead of Wallace, the expansion draft selection sure might have been more interesting. And I can pretty much guarantee Arenas, had he been the one exposed to the draft, would have handled it with much less maturity than Gerald Wallace did...

Gilbert Arenas is one of my favorite players in the NBA, so right now I don't really want to think too much about what could've been.

Petrie's track record the past few season has taken a definate hit.
He's never been a great drafting GM, in my opinion, so I think his track record's fine. He's good at making trades; some GMs, like Isiah Thomas, are great at drafting players, but horrible at making beneficial trades, for example. Drafting isn't Petrie's strength.

I think he's still in the top echelon in the league when it comes to ability as a GM.

He's never been a great drafting GM, in my opinion, so I think his track record's fine. He's good at making trades; some GMs, like Isiah Thomas, are great at drafting players, but horrible at making beneficial trades, for example. Drafting isn't Petrie's strength.

I think he's still in the top echelon in the league when it comes to ability as a GM.
Agreed...with the exception of his first 5 or 6 years here, he wasnt that bad in the draft...Grant, Smith, Williamson, Peja, Hedo, Wallace...not THAT bad, IMO.