Iverson traded to Denver

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess the root of my issue is this: another big trade oppurtunity that we have missed. I am well aware that this is not a video game. However, our GM has been sitting on his hands way to long, with a terrible product on the floor.

Are you happy with the direction of this franchice over the last 3 years?
Am I happy the team is losing more than winning? No.

Am I happy we don't look like a real team out there? No.

Do I think this was "another big trade opportunity that we have missed"? No.

Do I think Petrie has been sitting on his hands? Nope.

I accept that sometimes teams have to get worse before they can get better. That knowledge comes easily, as others and I have mentioned elsewhere, when you're a lifelong 49er fan.

This team attempted the impossible IMHO and they're paying the price now. They tried to rebuild on the fly so they wouldn't have to endure the seasons of the suckage. Well, look around. This is the result. I don't like to watch my team lose any more than the next fan. But it's gonna happen. I choose to accept that in the hope that it is, in fact, part of the transition.

I believe things may well start to turn around more dramatically when we can move some of those flexible pieces and expiring contracts.

It isn't a matter of you having to believe the same thing, of course. My main point in this particular discussion is that I think a lot of people had false hopes about Iverson all along. And now, to over-react because he didn't come to the Kings is just a waste of effort to me. Bottom line? I don't think he would have been the answer here and I strongly suspect he's not going to be the answer in Denver.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

:)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just a note by the way -- while I have many doubts about A.I.'s ability to work with other offensive players, ANY other offensive players, Melo and A.I. are apparently friends and Melo was pushing to get him in Devnver the same way Pierce and Garnett were in Boston and Minny. So until it actually backfries on court. this isn't something Melo is going to be resentful about.

Y

y2kings

Am I the only one who thinks this will work? George Karl has coached a lot stubborn players (melo, Gary Payton, Kemp, Sam Cassell). He should be fine in Denver. They will mesh and play well together. REMEMBER, GEORGE KARL HAS CHANGED MELO'S GAME. he's averaging 30+ pts by going to the line and taking it Strong inside. He'll do the same with AI by forcing him to take it inside more. This will the first time AI's on a team where he's surrounded by talent. The only other time he was around such talented players was Team USA...and i remember correctly...he was considered one of the best team players on team usa!!! He plays well with talent around him. Denver will be a top 4 team in the west now with SA, Phx and Dallas.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Just a note by the way -- while I have many doubts about A.I.'s ability to work with other offensive players, ANY other offensive players, Melo and A.I. are apparently friends and Melo was pushing to get him in Devnver the same way Pierce and Garnett were in Boston and Minny. So until it actually backfries on court. this isn't something Melo is going to be resentful about.
And to go with that, Melo is a THIRTY point scorer...This is probably the first temamate that AI has had where he can actually trust to help him carry the load.

Then you potentially have Iverson playing the good-guy role to try and either make, A: Philly look stupid, B: Ender himself to his team/fanbase, C: Porve a point to the rest of the league.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And, in a way, that will make the explosion - if and when it comes - even more painful. Nothing worse than helping a friend get a job and then having him/her push you out of yours.

At least this time bomb, IMHO, doesn't involve the Kings. In fact, I actually think the ticking from Denver just got a lot louder than the ticking from Sacramento. We might even have to start a poll -

Which bomb will explode first?

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That was the Maloofs not Petrie.

Geoff was against it and the Maloofs forced his hand....Thats why that trade was so goofy and drawn out until it finally happened.
The trade was "so goofy and drawn out" because Artest's agent made a comment indicating Artest wouldn't come to Sacramento.

We don't know if the Maloofs forced Petrie's hand or not. It's pure speculation.

Y

y2kings

The trade was "so goofy and drawn out" because Artest's agent made a comment indicating Artest wouldn't come to Sacramento.

We don't know if the Maloofs forced Petrie's hand or not. It's pure speculation.

Is Ron Artest a "geoff petrie kinda player?" The answer is no. The maloofs, who think the know basketball heavily persued and wanted Artest and thought Petrie and the kings should get involved.

Y

y2kings

Petrie had a chance to trade for Artest a year earlier and didnt make the deal...why? because he's an offensive handicap. He's a player who flows in the offense.

Denver is in for a fun ride.

Melo and AI will create fireworks either good or bad.

Im jealous.
..Much..
I am jealous too!

At least they are going to have some fun in Denver one way or another. Either this will blow up into a championship or blow up into a soap opera. As a Kings fan, I don't mind losing, but I would at least like to have a little fun and be entertained while losing. Right now we are losing and boring.:(

I am jealous too!

At least they are going to have some fun in Denver one way or another. Either this will blow up into a championship or blow up into a soap opera. As a Kings fan, I don't mind losing, but I would at least like to have a little fun and be entertained while losing. Right now we are losing and boring.:(

That is exactly how I feel. The Kings right now have no direction, it would be atleast fun to watch if things were interesting. Oh well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Be careful what you wish for, PR. There are rumors floating all over the place that Iverson is, as I've hinted at above, carrying a C-5 full of baggage with him. Denver is a much smaller town than Philly and might not be quite as accepting of some of his activities, if the rumors are in fact true. I won't repeat them but they're out there for anyone who cares to take the time to dig for them.

My personal thought is that the Kings have enough drama going right now. We don't need any more...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I guess the root of my issue is this: another big trade oppurtunity that we have missed. I am well aware that this is not a video game. However, our GM has been sitting on his hands way to long, with a terrible product on the floor.

Are you happy with the direction of this franchice over the last 3 years?
Yeah, us and 27 other teams, almost all of which tried to shoehorn in somehow.

It isn't that simple, no matter how easy you seem to think it is, to wave a wand and bring in good players without giving up something you want to keep.

Yeah, us and 27 other teams, almost all of which tried to shoehorn in somehow.

It isn't that simple, no matter how easy you seem to think it is, to wave a wand and bring in good players without giving up something you want to keep.
Of course it isnt that simple. But over 3 years or so, something could be done.

Now I ask the question to you, are you happy with the direction of this organization? That is my frustration, another big deal in the NBA not involving us. This is a bad team right now, with little hope for the future.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So Philly trades AI for 4 more years of Andre Miller and a couple low draft picks? This is what they held out for? And Denver exchanges Miller's 9 assists per game for Iverson's 30 points? It's not like this is a team that had any trouble scoring. They may as well have included JR Smith in the deal for all the shots he's going to get there now. I think they both get worse. The only thing that makes sense about this deal is cap room for Philly (which they could have gotten from anyone) and PR for Denver -- who probably pulled the trigger for the idiotic reason that Carmelo just got himself suspended for 15 games. Let's see how they like this one in a year. Maybe I'm wrong.

Y

y2kings

AI will make the a much better team and a dream mismatch at point guard with any team in the west...nash cant guard anyone....neither can parker.

I'm going to go out on a real long limb right now and predict HUGE fireworks between George Karl and Iverson before St. Patrick's Day. And I can't even begin to imagine the possible conflicts between Iverson and Melo.

And the people of Denver are not going to embrace Iverson and his antics, IMHO. This has "potential for catastrophe" written all over it... in really big letters.
It pays to be a pessimist here. I think most good players don't really like playing with ball-hog Iverson. Whether Karl can coach his way through the inevitable turmoil, whether with Melo or whomever, remains to be seen. Iverson is Iverson.

I'm glad he's not with the Kings, especially at the kind of price the Nuggets paid!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Of course it isnt that simple. But over 3 years or so, something could be done.

Now I ask the question to you, are you happy with the direction of this organization? That is my frustration, another big deal in the NBA not involving us. This is a bad team right now, with little hope for the future.
Am I happy with the direction of the organization?

Well, that covers a LOT of territory, and I don't have time to go into it all now (trying to get a project done at work and will be here late tonight trying to finish it all up).

The team has been bleeding talent (I think because of the uncertainty of the ARCO situation and inability to break even many years), so no, I don't like that.

Not sure if it is Muss or the players, but there is some disfunction here. Not liking that.

I'd like to have KG, so I'm not liking that.

Do like the trade for Artest in retrospect, getting Martin and Garcia and Salmons recently. Props there.

Rather have Williams than Taylor, Hart, or Pot. Not liking that either.

We have some expirings and maybe Bibby's contract up or gone soon, so that is nice. Wish Bibby was playing better, though.

Got a lot of guys banged up with injuries, but what's new there....

I think Petrie is being forced to operate within certain economic parameters which hogties any expensive acquisitions. But it's not my money so I can't complain.

The overriding factor though is that I am a Kings fan. I am glad they're here and trying to work out a deal to stay. That is priority #1 in my book right now, the rest will take care of itself eventually. I seriously think that Petrie and MSE want to win and are doing the best they can to do so. Maybe their best isn't good enough, but I'm not sure I am qualified to gaze into a crystal ball or video game screeen and call them out on it without having all the details and limitations they are privvy to.

And, in a way, that will make the explosion - if and when it comes - even more painful. Nothing worse than helping a friend get a job and then having him/her push you out of yours.

At least this time bomb, IMHO, doesn't involve the Kings. In fact, I actually think the ticking from Denver just got a lot louder than the ticking from Sacramento. We might even have to start a poll -

Which bomb will explode first?

:p
They have alot more to lose than us

it's gotta be exciting to be a sixer fan right now! cwebb's $$$ will come off the cap soon, joe smith at the end of the year, a competent PG who will distribute the ball and 4 first round picks in a loaded draft. WoW! i was hoping petrie would pull something like this off...... guess he's saving something closer to the trade deadline ;)

Sorry, I will not believe AI is not coming to the Kings Unti............Oh wait. {bangs his head against wall}

Guess that it was not meant to be.

I think it could actually be a really strong team depending on how AI and Carmelo gel. All of a sudden it's a very, very well-built team, with AI and Carmelo sharing the scoring, JR Smith knocking down outside jump shots, and defense/shotblocking/dirty work with Evans/Najera/Camby.
On paper it sounds wonderful - but on paper the Kings should be winning.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, and how's that working out?

Every other night it's another comment. It's only a matter of time ... tick tock tick tock tick tock.
How's it working out? Pretty good, all things considered.

And the "every other night it's another comment" statement is pretty much without any kind of relevance. At least he puts his heart and effort where his mouth is...

I'm not gonna fault him for his passion or commitment. At least he has a pulse.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am jealous too!

I have real doubts about how A.I. works with another megascorer, but I think the above is largely ttrue. We are a crushing bore with no future. Fans are staying away in droves, and nobody even wants to watch us on the road. Its like we are back to 1997 again or something and roughly as exciting to watch as paint dry. I think A.I. leading Denver into the elite is a longshot, but either way, they are going to have a lot of fun and drama watching it play out, all the media attention, national TV, real playoff drama etc.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
And then there were five...

Code:
[COLOR="Teal"]Active players that have been with the same team their entire careers (ten years or more):

Kevin Garnett		12
Kobe Bryant		11
Zydrunas Ilgauskas	11*
Tim Duncan		10
Adonal Foyle		10

* Zydrunas Ilgauskas missed the entire 1996-97 and 1999-00 seasons due to injury.

And two players that are likely to join the 10+ club next season:

Dirk Nowitzki		9
Paul Pierce		9[/COLOR]