Artest pushing for Bonzi Still?

From a Sam Smith Mailbag on MSNBC:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14709066/from/ET/[FONT=&quot]

I particuarly enjoyed the mystery GM's quote at the beginning of Smith's article. I think it is probably indicative of most GM's impression of Bonzi and is probably why he can't get a contract. I know that Bonzi coming back on the cheap is already being discussed here, but thought it was interesting that Artest might be trying to pressure the Kings into doing something with Bonzi still.
[/FONT]
Q: Where is Bonzi Wells going to end up? I'm thinking the Kings actually have a chance to win the championship. What do you think?
— Joey, Roseville, Calif.

A: As one general manager said to me, "That's why he's Bonzi Wells." He turned down about $35 million from the Kings because he — or his agent — started comparing his stats to other players and demanding equal salary. Your market value is not what someone gets who is a comparable player but what someone is willing to pay you. Wells and his agent made a huge miscalculation. There's not much money left around the league at this point, and the Kings' offer is off the table. I hear Artest is pushing the Kings to do something, but Wells will get nowhere near what he was first offered.
That said, I don't see the Kings quite at the level of the Spurs, Suns (assuming Stoudemire can return), Mavs and perhaps the Clippers. They've done a great job retooling on the fly and why Geoff Petrie may be the best, unsung general manager in the game. But there's the honeymoon-is-over period for Artest and not quite enough talent. Though Brad Miller should be rested after not playing much for USA Basketball.

Makes sense because Bonzi and Artest were great together. They led our team last year and I'm still hoping somehow Bonzi can be resigned cheap.

were better than the clips, we beat them four outta four last years, plus i think we have a fat home winning sreak aganst them, they're not better than us.

plus we beat them in differnet ways, we beat them with peja, we beat them with ron, and im pretty sure we beat them once when peja was injured and it was just cisco and kmart, and even when bonzi was injured?

In general I'd say the Clippers are some better, but versus us we still had their number. Could still have it, as well.

Far as Artest supposedly pushing for Bonzi? I'm fine with that, and it's not impossible. Just a matter of our ultimate decision. Bonzi Wells would make the Kings better, but without him, I don't believe it's a really big loss for us.

Last edited:
Hopefully the kings will listen to Ron and sign Bonzi back. If we sign Wells back, were contenders for the title and I don't care what anybody says or thinks. We will also be a very deep team, and it will be very interesting watching the Kings, Suns, and Clippers battle for the division title.:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Artest also wanted the Kings to keep Adelman, remember?

I think Petrie has done everything but take out billboards to make it clear the Kings have moved on. It's inevitable that people will chatter about Bonzi and the possibility of him returning to the Kings, but I don't think any of the chatter is between Petrie and Phillips.

Though i would be incredibly happy to somehow resign Bonzi and maybe even trade him to another team for a 2nd string C, the chances of this happening are 0.

I disagree. I don't think that he "had" to go. It was the Maloofs decision to let him leave. I would have liked to see Rick stay since many of our players got used to him and his strategy. I like Muss, but he is unproven compared to Rick. We could seriously regret this decision.

I disagree. I don't think that he "had" to go. It was the Maloofs decision to let him leave. I would have liked to see Rick stay since many of our players got used to him and his strategy. I like Muss, but he is unproven compared to Rick. We could seriously regret this decision.

I really don't think Adelman's strategy would've worked as well with the team we have now. The players the Maloofs and Petrie are bringing in require a ceertain style of play, and Adelman's wide-open Princeton-cut offense just didn't seem to be cutting it against the Spurs in the playoffs. Most of our success was found in the post with Artest and Bonzi on the block agaist their smaller guards. I think a more traditional style is what was needed, and Adelman didn't bring that. It was sad to see him go, but I thought it was about time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My intention wasn't to revisit the Adelman situation. It was to point out that the Maloofs do not run their business based on what one employee might publicly state a preference for.

I don't think Artest is pushing for Bonzi. I think that was speculation. NBA players are used to seeing teammates come and go; it's part and parcel of the job. Artest is, I hope, looking forward. Working with the guys who ARE still wearing the uniform of the Sacramento Kings and getting ready for training camp.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I really don't think Adelman's strategy would've worked as well with the team we have now. The players the Maloofs and Petrie are bringing in require a ceertain style of play, and Adelman's wide-open Princeton-cut offense just didn't seem to be cutting it against the Spurs in the playoffs. Most of our success was found in the post with Artest and Bonzi on the block agaist their smaller guards. I think a more traditional style is what was needed, and Adelman didn't bring that. It was sad to see him go, but I thought it was about time.
A. The Princeton as we knew it has not been used for a while.

B. If our success against the Spurs came with Rick as the coach, how can you say Rick didn't bring a style that worked? I assume you mean he didn't bring it enough. He has said that he can run any offense in the league (as he's played in, used, or defended against them all) and his methods kept us in the PO for years. I personally think it was more personnel than coaching....

Artest also wanted the Kings to keep Adelman, remember?

I think Petrie has done everything but take out billboards to make it clear the Kings have moved on. It's inevitable that people will chatter about Bonzi and the possibility of him returning to the Kings, but I don't think any of the chatter is between Petrie and Phillips.
Agreed. But at the eleventh hour I would think Petrie would at least listen. Maybe not chatter, but listen. If we can swoop up Bonzi and not pay the luxury tax then you can't sit here and tell me that we won't do it. Veteran depth is never a negative especially for cheap. We have a track record of injuries over the last 5 years and there are likely to be other SG/SF injuries throughout the league. You can never have too much insurance, unless if you are paying too much I guess.

Hopefully the kings will listen to Ron and sign Bonzi back. If we sign Wells back, were contenders for the title and I don't care what anybody says or thinks. We will also be a very deep team, and it will be very interesting watching the Kings, Suns, and Clippers battle for the division title.:D
ROFL not even. our front court gets abused over and over again. any team with some decent bigs would have a field day grabbing boards and scoring on us.

ROFL not even. our front court gets abused over and over again. any team with some decent bigs would have a field day grabbing boards and scoring on us.
this is not new, though. it's not "any team with some decent bigs would have a field day grabbing boards against the kings." it's "any team with some decent bigs has had and will continue to have a field day grabbing boards against the kings." the situation has not changed AT ALL. we made a couple of minor moves this offseason as far as player personnel is concerned, but none if it addressed our most dire needs in the front line. that's not to say that it would have been easy to address those needs. i'm just saying that people need to wake up and realize that this kings team will not be competitive until they rebound with a sense of urgency. losing bonzi definitely hurts the kings on the boards. no one can look at his numbers from last season and tell me otherwise without sounding foolish. if the kings had a super-stud rebounder to recover those lost boards, then it might even out.

but who's gonna pick up the slack? miller? thomas? rahim? these guys aren't up to the challenge. or are they? this is what i hope the new kings coaching staff chooses to address. given that kings management was unsuccessful in acquiring more rebounding this offseason, the new coaching staff is gonna have to put the fear of God into everyone who suits up in a kings uniform this coming season. the coaching staff will know just as well as we do that height is a major factor in rebounding, and they will know just as well as we do that the kings front line is thin to begin with. that shouldn't stop the players from rebounding as if their lives depended on it, though. the numbers may not always be there, but if people are boxing out more aggressively this season, with more urgency, and hustle after every board as if the entire season hinged on that single rebound, then i will be a much happier kings fan. the same goes for defensive hustle in general. get these guys defending like it matters...cuz it really does matter.

a new coaching regime is in town, and while i still don't agree with letting adelman go, there is still room to improve, and a new head coach is in a unique position to set a positive tone of hustle and commitment on defense. that is musselman's charge. i hope he and his players follow through...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
a new coaching regime is in town, and while i still don't agree with letting adelman go, there is still room to improve, and a new head coach is in a unique position to set a positive tone of hustle and commitment on defense. that is musselman's charge. i hope he and his players follow through...
And I hope the fans will give Muss a decent amount of time to get it done and not expect perfection in November.

^alright. he's got till christmas then. :p

i'm giving musselman his time, but i hope that if it's rough waters through feb/march, people won't be telling me to calm down and that it's a learning year (logically i know that's true, but i still want an entertaining product on the floor!!!).

And I hope the fans will give Muss a decent amount of time to get it done and not expect perfection in November.
there certainly will be a hefty transitional period, and that's one of the reasons i was not for the adelman firing. there is no sense in "rebuilding on the fly" if you're going to change the few constants that keep the team together. if you're gonna dump a coach who has only brought a winning culture to sacramento every single season he's been here, then scrap the whole project and start over, i say. but, it ain't my decision. the one thing the kings have going for them is youth with potential. unfortunately, none of that youth has the potential to fill the kings most glaring holes, so much more must still be done. i guess i'm just really uncomfortable with this season being what i consider a "throw-away season." we have the same problems that we had last season, and a new coaching staff to address those problems. unless petrie pulls off a major mid-season trade, we're left waiting until next season to see real progress....with an arena deal hanging in the balance. its all very poor timing, in my opinion.

In the end, Petrie is going to do anything he can that will make this team better and if that means getting Bonzi for a one year deal or something and shipping off some salary for draft picks, etc., then he's going to do it. I realize that he has said that they have moved on, but if he wants to come back and they can find a place for him and if they think that will make them a better team then they'll do it.

Muss hasn't shown any ability to lead a basketball team. I don't think he was the right person for the job and he will more than likely lead this organization to lower depths than most of the people here realize. It's going to be a very, very long year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Muss hasn't shown any ability to lead a basketball team. I don't think he was the right person for the job and he will more than likely lead this organization to lower depths than most of the people here realize. It's going to be a very, very long year.
Well, he's the one we've got so we might as well wait and see what happens before we decide to run him out of town on a rail.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The problem is that now you have to worry about Bonzi's head again. Last year he had his head screwed on right for us, and he was flat out potent. For much of the year better than any Kings player not named Artest. In the playoffs better than any Kings player period. Heck, any Spurs player as well. But now...if he had to come back on the cheap, where would his head be?

A properly motivated Bonzi wiht his head on straight again? Any day of the week, and ask me if I bleeping care if that means Douby or Salmons don't get their bleeping minutes. They can go fetch the doughnuts. But now if you get back the pissed off, sullen Bonzi thinking he's been screwed by the world...and on top of that you've lost a coach who was really good with those kinds of personalities and replaced him with an intense guy who has had problems with players in the past and last knew Bonzi the last time he was a sullen Bonzi...then that becomes a real risk. Oddly enough, the best chance at it working might be having our even badder boy (Ron) reembrace him. The blind leading the blind.

Last edited: