Fanfare: Fans need new phrase of solidarity

News

Hot off the presses...
Published 12:01 am PDT Sunday, September 3, 2006

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/monarchs/story/14316574p-15231509c.html

At the Monarchs-Los Angeles Sparks playoff game Aug. 24 at Arco Arena, I was very annoyed by the constant "Beat L.A." chants. Although the enthusiasm of Monarchs fans is inspiring and noteworthy, don't they realize this chant is tired and ineffective? Every arena chants "Beat L.A." when the Sparks or the Lakers come to play. Therefore, the chant is meaningless. In fact, it might even be comforting to Los Angeles players because they have come to expect it. Also, by chanting this, aren't we saying the Los Angeles teams are the ones to beat? We're giving them the power instead of owning it. Let their fans chant "Beat Monarchs," instead.
I was so proud to see all the fans in Anaheim supporting the Monarchs, but I rolled my eyes when I saw some of them carrying "Beat L.A." signs. Come on, Sacramento, let's move on. It's time to come up with something new and fresh to let everyone know we have the teams to beat, not Los Angeles.

-- Mark Jacobson, Sacramento

WNBA needs more support

I just sent a complaint to ESPN2 about its lack of high-definition coverage of the WNBA Finals. I am thinking of firing one off to the City of Sacramento, as well as to as all of the lame-brained sports fans who do not support the Monarchs because they are women. It is a shame that the WNBA does not rate the coverage and support of its egotistical male counterpart. I guess for the average Jane and Joe to follow a team, its players need to dunk. And why don't Kings players show up at the games? Maybe they could learn a thing or two from a team with championship experience. I even noticed that during registration, sacbee.com had a check box for Kings alerts, but not one for Monarchs alerts.
To all of the so-called sports fans in Sacramento, support all of your teams, not just the Kings and River Cats. The WNBA has quality teams and great players who play for the love of the game, without all of the ego and money.

Gee, kind of reminds you of the NBA decades ago.

-- Charles Shinn, Sacramento

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...and to the guy writing about "Beat LA"....that's a universal. That chant was not invented in Sacramento and is almost as universal as Yankees ****. True, THAT chant is not all that original, but its sorta an obligation to all us Yankee haters.

Why doesn't someone write to the folks @ Stanfords athletic department and tell them that "beat cal" is played out and they need to get another chant for solidarity? :rolleyes:

Now..."Houston, You Have a Problem" THAT lacks originally and has little luster to it. And I was glad to not see signs in ARCO with that slogan on it during that round of the playoffs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was a Celtics fan before the Kings game to Sacramento. We used to chant BEAT LA at every opportunity. I am a 49er fan. Same thing...

BEAT LA is like "Have a nice day."

;)

The Kings players have been pretty good at showing up at Monarchs games. Sure not ALL of them do, but that's not to be expected. It will be interesting to see who does tomorrow night.

Francisco Garcia had been the most regular of the Kings to show up this season and I'm not sure any other Kings had shown up until Sunday. We usually see the new draft pick introduced at a game over the summer too.

But by far the biggest fans this team has had over the years were Jason Williams and Gerald Wallace, both of them showed up for nearly all home games when they were with the Kings. Wallace still regularly shows up for the Sting games in Charlotte. Bobby Jackson still comes often to ARCO.

Yeah, I can't stand "Beat LA" either. It is old and tired. But what am I suppose to do. I despise the Lakers, Dodgers, Sparks, so I tolerate it.:eek:

Francisco Garcia had been the most regular of the Kings to show up this season and I'm not sure any other Kings had shown up until Sunday. We usually see the new draft pick introduced at a game over the summer too.
Ron Artest has been at a couple of games I think. He's apparently a big fan of the league, just doesn't seem to be in town that much to watch the Monarchs. Quincy Douby also came to at least one, which I believe was the week after he was drafted.

Back when Webber was here , he came to some games. I was able to get my Dada shoe signed, by sending one of the HIP-HOP kids over with it & Webber signed. That was fun...I guess it's just 1 advantage to courtside seats!