All things Woods ...updated (merged)

U

Ultimate_Kings_Fan

All of you are over reacting. Woods will be just fine, all he needs to do is give us 10-15 good minutes to give Brad a rest.

Who cares about his offensive game? That is not his role with this team and his offense is not needed in any way. Geoff has already said what he'll do - REBOUND AND BLOCK SHOTS.

Another point about this signing is that they feel, as with Salmons, that he hasn't really been given a full opprotunity and can improve on what he has done.

I think Loren Woods fits much better on this team than any other considering our needs at the moment.

R

Rome

Who cares about his offensive game? That is not his role with this team and his offense is not needed in any way. Geoff has already said what he'll do - REBOUND AND BLOCK SHOTS.

Another point about this signing is that they feel, as with Salmons, that he hasn't really been given a full opprotunity and can improve on what he has done.

I think Loren Woods fits much better on this team than any other considering our needs at the moment.
I agree with you. I just hope we give Woods at least 15-20 minutes per game. Just to let him show us how he can perform in those kind of minutes. He's got the body and size to be a real defensive center much like Chandler. Only question is will he put the effort and focus towards his game.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14298103p-15157036c.html

New big man for Kings wants to stick around

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:01 am PDT Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Story appeared in Sports section, '+ppn);
Story appeared in Sports section, Page C1

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]One interesting side note about Loren Woods: His son is one perceptive young fellow.

The elder Woods is the newest King, a 7-foot-2 center who came aboard via free agency Tuesday to shore up a front line that could use some size, experience, bulk, resistance and rebounds.

The five-year veteran also is the father of a 4 1/2-year-old, Kholin, who knows the best player around when he sees one.

"He said his favorite player in the NBA is me," Woods said, grinning while at the Kings' practice facility. "He's got to say that. I'm the one paying the bills."

Woods, 28, is hoping for some financial security, with the Kings representing his fourth team, and he's not exactly conceding to a vagabond career. He signed a one-year, $950,000 deal, though it is not known how much of that is guaranteed. What Woods can say for certain is that he's ready to stick around for a bit. "It's my fourth team," he said. "I don't know how many more chances I'll get. I'm like a cat with nine lives."

He's more of a Caterpillar-brand bulldozer -- wide-bodied and sturdy. Though Woods hasn't been compared to Shaquille O'Neal since entering the league as a second-round pick of the Minnesota Timberwolves out of Arizona in 2001, he has proven to be a solid player when he gets minutes.

Woods' best season was with the Toronto Raptors in 2004-05, when he averaged 3.9 points and 4.9 rebounds in 45 games. Last season, he averaged 2.3 points and 4.1 rebounds in 27 games for the Raptors.

"I like his length, and he's athletic and he can block shots," said Kings vice president of basketball operations Wayne Cooper, a former NBA post himself. "He's had some moments in this league. His upside is still there."

Cooper also noted that there simply is not a surplus of 7-footers with skills bouncing around the free-agent want list. Not this summer or ever.

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said "a lot of big guys develop later" in their careers. Petrie also said the Kings likely are finished with offseason upgrades, barring unforeseen trades.

Sacramento has 17 players under contract entering training camp. Teams are allowed to keep 15.

"It's pretty unlikely that we're going to sign any more players," Petrie said. "We're pretty well tapped out on our (player salary) exceptions."

Petrie said he is pleased with the summer additions, from first-round pick Quincy Douby, a guard, to free-agent signee John Salmons, a swingman, to Woods.

"I like the draft pick, I like John in absence of Bonzi (Wells), and Loren gives us depth," Petrie said. "And I was encouraged with our young guys in summer league."
Eager to impress at training camp, Woods already has met with coach Eric Musselman, and he has a friend in swingman Kevin Martin, who has the same offseason conditioning coach as Woods.

A St. Louis native, Woods was a high school McDonald's All-American. He had his growth spurt in middle school, shooting up nearly a foot in two years, and he joked that the rest of his body still is trying to catch up.

"I came into the sixth grade at 5-10, and people said, 'That kid's tall!' to leaving eighth grade at 6-8 and people saying, 'Wow.' "

Woods yearns for more wows. He thought he was earning some of that praise during his two seasons in Toronto. But he said he came away understanding it was a "learning experience" with a lot of "frustration" of losses and playing time.

"I can fit in here," the soft-spoken Woods said. "I can help this team. I can do a little bit of everything. I can rebound and run, and I can put the ball in the hole a little. I'm 7-2, and the basket is right next to me. I'm very excited about this. It's a new start."

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"I can fit in here," the soft-spoken Woods said. "I can help this team. I can do a little bit of everything. I can rebound and run, and I can put the ball in the hole a little. I'm 7-2, and the basket is right next to me. I'm very excited about this. It's a new start."[/FONT]
Well, there it is. Rebound, run and put the ball in the basket right next to you.:D
Woods- do it every time you're in the game is all we ask..:D

Exactly, he would have done close to the same things as Wright, Cato, or Etan Thomas for far, far less money. Getting a backup C who has a pulse for under 1 Million is a good signing IMO.
Etan Thomas isn't a center, his main position is PF. He can play C sometimes. Also isn't a free-agent. Different situation.

Also, Cato/Olowokandi are LLE bigs. As predicted, and has indeed been determined this off-season. Both wouldn't of been and won't be on long deals either.

Regardless, Woods I think can be pretty solid for us.

Last edited:
Etan Thomas isn't a center, his main position is PF. He can play C sometimes. Also isn't a free-agent. Different situation.

Also, Cato/Olowokandi are LLE bigs. As predicted, and has indeed been determined this off-season. Both wouldn't of been and won't be on long deals either.

Regardless, Woods I think can be pretty solid for us.
Etan Thomas is a C who can play PF sometimes, you have it flip-flopped. Anyways we just would have traded KT for Etan and essentially gotten less talent for an extra .75 blocks a game and more injuries, but it was mentioned countless times as a scenario that we should discuss.

Cato thinks he is worth more than he actually is.

Olowokandi doesn't fit the description of being a backup C with a pulse.

I agree with you on Woods though, I think he can be a solid backup for us.

You're right on Etan. I still like Etan as a defensive big though, also depends on what situation he'd have in Sac if he were traded for KT. I'm still up for the deal, but would say KT probably stays in the end.

With Olowokandi, he isn't relevant to us anymore, and think if he came here, he would of had a "pulse" or at least played decently as a defensive big man. Cato would of been similar, but wouldn't of had to question his "pulse". Both are LLE-material. I'll be surprised if they get part of someone's MLE.

Last edited: