Wells, Nuggets eye sign-and-trade deal

Sure it does.

Denver can't get rid of Kenyon Martin.
So they are just going to up and get rid of a 23 year old F/C they just signed because they can't trade Martin? That makes little sense.

They happen to have one of the best trio of bigs in the league while having a hole at the Off Guard position that's the size of Texas. Having a back up big is nice and all, but it's not as much of a priority than having a Shooting Guard that can play.
By "best" do you mean "most expensive?"

Or having one at all, for that matter.
JR Smith.

So, since Camby's contract is too big and most likely won't fit with Bonzi's... that leaves only one logical option possible. Some sort of deal involving Bonzi and Nene. Plus fillers if needed here and there.
Camby makes $9M next year. That would fit into Bonzi's desired salary. No fillers needed. Logic would dictate that Denver is likely more willing to trade a 32 year old before they thought about trading a 23 year old.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Denver wants Bonzi. He's not a shooter, they have absolutely no good/proven/reliable jumpshooters. Their last one was Lenard in 03-04. Also, if they don't commit to JR Smith, that may lead to JR complaining about oppurtunities and PT again.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Career: 10 points and 6 rebounds.

Last year: One minute, then major sugery.

Not worth the risk...Especially at 10mil a year.
Yeah...I dont really think those numbers are anything to get excited about. And everyone says he can defend the paint. Can he? I know he isnt much of a shotblocker, he got less blocks (and barely more rebounds) then Jamal Sampson a few seasons back, with twice the minutes.

So they are just going to up and get rid of a 23 year old F/C they just signed because they can't trade Martin? That makes little sense.
quote]

Let's see.

The Nuggets have 2 good Power Forwards in Nene and K-Mart (who by all means isn't who he used to be, but still good). One of them is wanted by pretty much every team in the league, and the other by virtually none. Both have to somewhat share minutes in the post. And THEN you have a gigantic hole at Shooting Guard.

Geez, I wonder how you fill that damn hole? Hmmmmmm

Why not Camby you ask? Oh, if they wanna give us one one of the best Centers in the league (something incredibly rare) who can block shots with the best of em (even more rare) then by all means let em do it. I just didn't consider that they might be that crazy.

And I'll admit, I didn't know Nene's contract was that high. Nor did I know that Camby's was that "low". Doesn't really change how i think though.

And as far as their shooting problem goes. JR freaking Smith? Mr. 18 minutes a game on the AWESOME 05-06 Hornets? ROFL. You made my point when you typed JR Smith as an argument to prove that Denver didn't have shooting problems. That's like saying, the Kings don't have a rebounding problem, cause we got Brad Miller!

Last edited:
Career: 10 points and 6 rebounds.

Last year: One minute, then major sugery.

Not worth the risk...Especially at 10mil a year.

What, do you really think he's gonna continue on a 1 injury per 3 minutes of PT ratio? He can play for the next 4 years and only miss a handful of games a year just like he can re-aggravate his injury in the opening 30 seconds of this year's opener. The guy was unlucky...

Last edited:
Strange thing is they want Bonzi. But he's not a shooter or someone to rely on for jumpers either. Yet, Eddie House/Rush/Pargo/KVH/Ju. Jones are all out there still. From a Denver stand-point, they should split the MLE on two of those guys.

If we can get Camby for Bonzi - I'd be all over it . :)

Yes, Camby's 32, but the guy can still go, even if it's at 60-65 games a year. I'll take that for what he brings to both sides of the basketball. Camby/Artest would be an incredible force on defense and energy. Camby's decent offensively as well.

Last edited:
Did you miss the part where Nene is a center? Or the fact that he is younger? And they just committed loads of cash to him?

I responded to your "...having a Shooting Guard that can play. Or having one at all, for that matter." when I mentioned JR Smith. I never said he could shoot.

Bonzi Wells is your answer to Denver's "shooting problem?" That's like saying, "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Did you miss the part where Nene is a center? Or the fact that he is younger? And they just committed loads of cash to him?

I responded to your "...having a Shooting Guard that can play. Or having one at all, for that matter." when I mentioned JR Smith. I never said he could shoot.

Bonzi Wells is your answer to Denver's "shooting problem?" That's like saying, "I have no idea what I'm talking about."
He's a PF and a C! Either way he shares time with Camby and Kenyon Martin. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Bonzi isn't MY answer to Denver's shooting problem. Im not the freaking Denver Nuggets. THEY are interested in acquiring him. Not me. I look at it from a Kings standpoint. If they want something, I don't question why or how it would fit for them. That's their freaking problem. The freaking Celtics could wanna trade for another PG for all I care.

Bottom Line, they have a shooting problem and they want Bonzi Wells. They got no good Shooting Guards. Bonzi isnt a good shooter yet they still want him. And if you know SO much about the NBA, because like you said, I clearly don't, you think a guy that played 18 minutes a game for the HORNETS is the solution at shooting guard for a team hoping to contend like Denver? You said it so you must believe so. And if that's the case like it clearly seems to be, I don't think im the one that doesnt know what he's talking about between me and you...

Nice arguing with ya, I got other things to do. Take care.

Last edited:
He's a PF and a C! Either way he shares time with Camby and Kenyon Martin. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
I wasn't aware this was anything more than academic.

Bonzi isn't MY answer to Denver's shooting problem.
Fine. You haven't made that all too clear up until now.

Im not the freaking Denver Nuggets.
I know.
THEY are interested in acquiring him. Not me. I look at it from a Kings standpoint. If they want something, I don't question why or how it would fit for them. That's their freaking problem. The freaking Celtics could wanna trade for another PG for all I care.
Freaking!

Bottom Line, they have a shooting problem and they want Bonzi Wells. They got no good Shooting Guards. Bonzi isnt a good shooter yet they still want him. And if you know SO much about the NBA, because like you said, I clearly don't, you think a guy that played 18 minutes a game for the HORNETS is the solution at shooting guard for a team hoping to contend like Denver? You said it so you must believe so.
Did you read what I wrote? I'll make it easy for you:
I never said he solved their "no good Shooting Guards" problem either. You may infer that JR Smith can play shooting guard and is currently employed by the Denver Nuggets from the statements I have made. And that is about all.

And if that's the case like it clearly seems to be, I don't think im the one that doesnt know what he's talking about between me and you...
Clearly.

Nice arguing with ya,
I'm glad it was good for one of us.
I got other things to do. Take care.
Have fun.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nene or Camby?

I really think you're both arguing about who's gonna win the snowball fight - in Jamaica.

If the Nuggets were that interested in Bonzi, and were willing to offer Nene or Camby, this would be a done deal already.

Let's play nice, okay?

Nene or Camby?

I really think you're arguing about who's gonna win the snowball fight - in Jamaica.

If the Nuggets were that interested in Bonzi, and were willing to offer Nene or Camby, this would be a done deal already.
You're right, of course. This has devolved from a hypothetical salary cap deal to 'who would the Nuggets be more willing to give up?' Nature of the internet...

Grant mentioned anything on his show today about a possible sign and trade or any talks at all on Bonzi? Just wondering
He had Jerry Reynolds on who said a sign and trade was highly unlikely. They'd have to get a real stud to even consider going over the luxury tax threshhold, and that most likely isn't gonna happen.

I don't see a sign and trade happening re: Bonzi. I think his agent is talking out of his rear end to be honest.;)

Nene or Camby?

I really think you're both arguing about who's gonna win the snowball fight - in Jamaica.

Let's play nice, okay?
Exactly....and now especially, why trade anything for Bonzi if you can just sign him to the MLE?

He had Jerry Reynolds on who said a sign and trade was highly unlikely. They'd have to get a real stud to even consider going over the luxury tax threshhold, and that most likely isn't gonna happen.
I don't see a sign and trade happening re: Bonzi. I think his agent is talking out of his rear end to be honest.;)
Since no stud is coming to Sacramento in exchange for Bonzi his only chance is if Kings find a way to move Kenny and it will be combined with Bonzi's S&T in one deal.

Denver wouldn't even do that. They don't want Bonzi THAT badly.
:D
That's pretty funny... and a burn on KT. On a side note, it sure is going to be difficult to be excited about KT on the Kings next year as most of us have taken turns bagging on him... oh well... I guess we should all root for him to do really well so Geoff can trade him.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm excited about KT! He whines and is not a team player...But the guy sure can rebound! He's a pesky defender too, cant really cover the big PFs, but knocks the ball away from em every now and then.

I'd rather Miller gets traded away then Thomas.

because he can play
No, he really, really can't. Not on offense, not on defense. Nene's best case scenario is to eventually develop into a player who puts up Kenny Thomas numbers. The extra height and bulk means squat considering the guy can't block a shot, and doesn't do anything special in defending the post. He's got no game away from the basket and picks up garbage points inside. He was a downright embarassment against SA in the playoffs last time he played, and I don't see why that's going to all of a sudden change now that he's coming off a major surgery. There are a dozen big men who would play for the league minimum who would put up the Nene numbers if they had similar minutes. The guy is a waste of space, just because it's A LOT of space doesn't make him worth coveting.

One of them is wanted by pretty much every team in the league
Where did you hear this?

I would let Bonzi walk a thousand times before I even remotely considered taking on Nene at $10M a year.