Welcome Jalen McDaniels

This transfer system i will never understand , couldn't we directly sacked sasha and mitchel , instead of moving player around to finaly do the same :confused:
i mean if you say i player isn't needed and will not spend any playing minute he will move out for sure ...

This transfer system i will never understand , couldn't we directly sacked sasha and mitchel , instead of moving player around to finaly do the same :confused:
i mean if you say i player isn't needed and will not spend any playing minute he will move out for sure ...
Guaranteed contracts. If a team releases a player - usually they still have to pay that player until the contract is over - and the player’s salary still counts against the salary cap.

What Monte did is going to look really good if he brings in a big or big wing the can play D and fit into the offense. A lob threat would be nice.

I also think that Orlando Robinson is a playable guy too, once he is healthy. There is enough evidence that he can play an 8-12 minute per game role, if needed.
I like Robinson too, but he's more of projection type play still. If we're talking just guys we feel absolutely confident can be in a playoff rotation:

Fox
Keon
DDR
Keegan
Domas

Jmac
Monk
Huerter
Lyles
Len

And while I'm extremely confident Carter's skill-set translates, I suppose you could leave him off for now since he hasn't played an NBA minute. But this is 100% the most talented/most depth the Kings have had since that 02 squad. Not even really all that close. Our bench now would wipe out those "Beno Udrih was somehow our best player" teams in the late 00's.

Of course, we still could use a defensive wing off the bench. But everything is here for us to push being a 48-52 win team this season and be in that top 6.

Ham said that vets who get the minimum are paid like a second year player, something in the 2 mill dollar range. So we could just be dumping Mcdaniels (a guy we may have had no intention to use) for a cheaper version (Crowder). The thing is, if we liked Jae why didn’t we sign him right away as opposed to risking him signing elsewhere. He worked out here over a month ago. Just weird.

I like Robinson too, but he's more of projection type play still. If we're talking just guys we feel absolutely confident can be in a playoff rotation:

Fox
Keon
DDR
Keegan
Domas

Jmac
Monk
Huerter
Lyles
Len

And while I'm extremely confident Carter's skill-set translates, I suppose you could leave him off for now since he hasn't played an NBA minute. But this is 100% the most talented/most depth the Kings have had since that 02 squad. Not even really all that close. Our bench now would wipe out those "Beno Udrih was somehow our best player" teams in the late 00's.

Of course, we still could use a defensive wing off the bench. But everything is here for us to push being a 48-52 win team this season and be in that top 6.
I generally agree but we NEED to add one more big forward, don’t think it’s optional. If either Keegan or Lyles missed time we literally don’t have a back up. Jones isn’t ready yet, shot is rough. At least with Mcdaniels we had real nba experience, could have worked in a pinch. That’s why they must have one lined up, either big splash or the more likely move on the margins.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ham said that vets who get the minimum are paid like a second year player, something in the 2 mill dollar range. So we could just be dumping Mcdaniels (a guy we may have had no intention to use) for a cheaper version (Crowder). The thing is, if we liked Jae why didn’t we sign him right away as opposed to risking him signing elsewhere. He worked out here over a month ago. Just weird.
The Kings were right at the first apron after signing Len and Jmac. IIUC, they had to shed salary to even add any more veteran miinimum guys.

I generally agree but we NEED to add one more big forward, don’t think it’s optional. If either Keegan or Lyles missed time we literally don’t have a back up. Jones isn’t ready yet, shot is rough.
Isaac Jones also does not jump very well, which means he gets stuffed at the basket a lot and may be limited in defensive rebounding. His standing vertical leap at the 2024 NBA combine was 29". I know a few posters are high on him, but Devin Carter had a 35" vertical leap, tied for first this year. It would have qualified for second last year. I looked it up because Jones was not elevating very well in games.

Jalen only saw a few minutes of preseason action, but presumably Coach Brown and Co. were not impressed with his work in practices.

Isaac Jones also does not jump very well, which means he gets stuffed at the basket a lot and may be limited in defensive rebounding. His standing vertical leap at the 2024 NBA combine was 29". I know a few posters are high on him, but Devin Carter had a 35" vertical leap, tied for first this year. It would have qualified for second last year. I looked it up because Jones was not elevating very well in games.

Jalen only saw a few minutes of preseason action, but presumably Coach Brown and Co. were not impressed with his work in practices.
Looks like 29 is somewhere in the middle of this class. I personally am not worried about his athleticism I think he is find there and the super long wingspan helps. I’m high on him as a bench big I just don’t think he is ready to contribute day one. I’d like to see him down in Stockton for most of the season and maybe see some action in the second half of the year if the shot is looking better.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I'm really not sure why we're comparing Isaac Jones's combine numbers to Devin Carter's when (a) they don't play remotely the same position (Isaac's numbers are comparable to most of the forward/bigs in his class) and (b) Devin Carter had possibly the best combine performance since the combine was a thing excluding Keon Johnson shattering records in his year.

Nothing about Jones's game suggests that he's going to have a big problem getting airborne given that literally every single game since summer league has feature the dude either blocking a shot at the rim or dunking on someone's head. Laterally the guy moves really well for his size, which is probably more important to the Kings than having the leaping ability of Blake Griffin or not.

I agree with the rebounding concerns to an extent but that probably won't be a huge concern out of a guy who (once developed) is never going to play more than 8-12 minutes in a game in a perfect world barring a sudden unforeseen bump in his growth trajectory.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I made the comparison was because, as iowamcnabb points out, he was right in the middle of his class, and both were signed by the Kings at the same time. Also, as I stated, it looks like he is getting blocked a lot. I respect your opinion, so I will keep watching! If he were from Missouri, I would say "Show me!" There is another game tonight at 6:00 PT.
Isaac Jones has only had one shot blocked this preseason and it was a dunk that got blocked by TJD because Skal led him directly under the basket.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CF...on&TeamID=1610612758&flag=3&sct=plot§ion=game

Not gonna get my hopes up for a legit transaction after this.
Making a move with any real assets at this point would be a mistake IMO, or at least too much of a gamble. See what the roster looks like, then figure it out. That might be a thing where you reassess in the summer. Finishing off his cap in the interim by going plan B and bringing almost his entire 1st round exit squad back the summer before last before really knowing what his team was yet was a stumbling block for Monte. Luckily the stars aligned in the draft and in FA so that Monte was able to correct it in some fashion this summer. As we've seen from previous GM's, it's not always that simple. Also thankfully Monte didn't sign any truly bad deals. If Barnes got even a fair market contract DeRozan for sure isn't here.