Ex-Kings GM Vlade Divac: 'Time will tell' if drafting Marvin Bagley over Luka Dončić was right decision

View attachment 12823
The worst GM by a mile. Not mentioning Doncic, that draft talent pool was so deep, he could have drafted Mikal Bridges, SGA, Michael Porter Jr, Jalen Brunson, Trae Young, or even Kevin Hueter over Marvin freaking Bagley III.
If reports are to be believed, Vlade wanted MPJ. The pick was Bagley though, can’t rewrite history. It’s Darkoesque. No need to wait for more time. It was bad. However, in Vlades defense, many draft experts were still high on Bagley.

"I had De'Aaron Fox at that position, whom I drafted a year earlier. At that moment, I thought that Fox was a player who could become a franchise player in the next period. Time will tell if I was wrong. As things stand now, it looks like I am, but I have faith in little Fox that he will have a better career."
seems close to an admission that Fox’s camp was anti-Doncic but also too old of news to care

seems close to an admission that Fox’s camp was anti-Doncic but also too old of news to care
Yeah, I took it to mean that as well. Obviously the jury isn’t still out on Bagley so in Vlade’s mind it will be judged by the totality of Fox’s tenure with the Kings when it’s all said and done.

I’m not putting that weight on Fox personally. I also don’t think it was from Fox’s camp. As he was coming off his rookie season and a pretty lackluster one at that. I don’t think he really had a camp nor held any sway. I think there was some Brandon Williams and maybe some personal animosity between Vlade and Luka’s camp.

We can just say Vlade blew it

It’s a testament to how beloved those Adelman teams were that Vlade can still be a regular at Kings games and still generally be In good standing with the fans.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Luka was in the Finals last year with ball-dominant PG Kyrie Irving as his teammate. I don't want to wade into the "what-if" waters again other than to say... the kid was already 6'6" or 6'7" as an 18 year old. The whole "he can't play with Fox cause they're both PGs" take has never made any sense to me dating all the way back to 2017. Luka is a "Point Guard" in the same way that Lebron James has been for most of his career. Basketball players who can self-create and pass the ball creatively make their teammates better, period.

Yeah, it just blows my mind some fans can't comprehend "BPA over all" in the draft and still think need is important. Vlade drafted a big over Luka because it was a bigger "need" with Fox on board. And the only reason it's not the worst draft decision in professional sports is because someone drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Now if Vlade actually thought Bagley was better than Luka... Fine. But that quote very much indicates he drafted Bagley with need in mind.

I'm appalled Vivek swoons when around Vlade endlessly, allows him to sit along side Kings owner in those prime court side seats. Most fans don't like that picture every season knowing Divac arguably cost franchise one NBA championship at the hands of Robert Horry and highly likely more titles at some point if taken future NBA HOFer Luka Doncic instead of long gone from Sac, the one and only Marvin Bagley.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, it just blows my mind some fans can't comprehend "BPA over all" in the draft and still think need is important. Vlade drafted a big over Luka because it was a bigger "need" with Fox on board. And the only reason it's not the worst draft decision in professional sports is because someone drafted Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Now if Vlade actually thought Bagley was better than Luka... Fine. But that quote very much indicates he drafted Bagley with need in mind.
I wanted Luka. I've grown to dislike him but I wanted Luka.

All that said, there were a lot of people arguing that Luka would bust, that he had reached his ceiling early, that he wasn't athletic enough to play in the NBA. A lot of people mocked him to the Kings and then mocked the Kings for making that pick, sure to be a bust.

Also I think Brandon Williams was the biggest driving factor for Bagley.

In any event, people in the front office fell in love with Bagley to the extent they didn't work out the rest of the top 6.

Phoenix kind of blowing his development and/or Ayton turning out to be a lazy bum has also let us off the hook some. Still what maddens me more than anything was not drafting Luka and trading his rights for the guy we wanted after the fact like ATL did with the next pick.

It was a bad pick regardless. JJJ would have been a perfect fit next to Sabonis and he was available. But I still maintain the 10 pick in one of the best drafts ever was a bigger miss. Random chance was better than JJ and Giles.

It was a bad pick regardless. JJJ would have been a perfect fit next to Sabonis and he was available. But I still maintain the 10 pick in one of the best drafts ever was a bigger miss. Random chance was better than JJ and Giles.
why?

Luka is on a first ballot HoF trajectory. The start of his career statistically is basically only matched by LeBron and MJ.

Guys like Don Mitchell and Bam are massive misses, of course, but they aren't Luka

I shouldn’t, but I too always let the 2017 draft flop bother me more even though at the time I considered Zach Collins right up there with Bam etc. 2016 was also a colossal misjudgment, especially after so much potential with his Belinelli trade and 8th pick trade back.
Fan favourite or not Vlade had no business being a GM.

I absolutely adored vlade for his time here. I didn't hold that 2002 tip to horry against him at all however, him screwing up what was probably the easiest draft choice in NBA history has forever soiled his name in my book. Vlade did what 28 years of kings ineptitude couldn't do, kill my kings fandom. Now I'm just a casual observer.

Last edited:
Even worse., at first he passed on BPA, then he missed on his need; failed twice.
McNair has always drafted BPA and figured it out after.

Probably why he is a better GM. Crazy to think it took Vivek THAT long to find a good GM.

Let's not forget Vlade gave us Puke Walton without interviewing anyone else. Even with the drama associated with Walton that offseason too....

why?

Luka is on a first ballot HoF trajectory. The start of his career statistically is basically only matched by LeBron and MJ.

Guys like Don Mitchell and Bam are massive misses, of course, but they aren't Luka
Luka is a fabulous offensive player who gives no effort on defense. I’m not convinced you can win a Chip with Luka.