Thank you Davion

I just wish either his three point shot was consistent (it always looked pretty when he got it going) or he was a little bit longer. Love his tenacity and effort but I just don’t think his defense was as impactful as we hoped. Unfortunately, similar to Marvin, my favorite moment of Davion’s was summer league rookie year, completely locking up James Bouknight.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think my favorite Davion memories were the times he went one-on-one with Big Bro over the years.

Not my favorite player here but it was never close to personal, I have nothing against him like I have had for others and hopefully he proves me wrong some more at his next stop.

I know little about the Raptors' Serbian coach. I bet he knows what to do with Vezenkov, more so than with Mitchell.
A bit off topic but Raptors coach and Sasha were both at a recent congress in Athens that was hosted for Euroleague coaches, so perhaps the first contact between them happened there 4 days ago. According to Greek media the Raptors intend to keep him (despite the rumors about Euroleague teams offering him much money) but then again their #31 pick plays in the same position.

On topic, I really liked Davion all those years since before Keon he was the only one trying so hard in the defensive part and he had this "thug" attitude (in a good way) sometimes when he was cooking in offense even though he doesn't have a bag full of offensive skills in a way. The last couple of years with the Kings having become much more competitive it was numerous times that I was frustrated with him mostly when missing open shots. But it was many times he was the "unsung" (is this how it's written?) hero, especially when stepping up filling for Fox the times that Swipa was out with injury. He had a couple of big performances as a starter. I wish him the best and I will be keeping an eye for both him and Sasha at the Raptors, not watching their full matches though.

Will definitely miss Davion and thank you for bringing that dawg mentality every single day. Some of the best on ball defending I've seen and remember his first summer league game when he shut down Bouknight fondly. At the end of the day, I'd still call this pick a success. Showed flashes his rookie year when he got his chance to start, then solidified himself as a top 8-10 rotation option for a playoff team and made a big jump in his true shooting last year.

Unfortunately, guards his size just won't have much value as backups. I still think he'll have a long career in the NBA. It's easy to say "Monte should of taken XX" when looking back at the entire draft, but I like to look at the 5 picks after him as more realistic draft picks who were rated similarly and those 5 players are Ziaire Williams, James Bouknight, Josh Primo, Chris Duarte, and Moses Moody. Definitely one of the top 2 players amongst that bunch. Best of luck Davion, I'll be rooting for you in TOR.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
unfortunate way to sell off a former 9th pick with nothing to show for, while his value was not very high to begin with and with Carter being available, Monte made the move for cap space purposes. Seems as if this front office likes to pick from the scrap heap and just sell off 2nd rounders

Davion and Sasha get a change of scenery. I hear Toronto is nice and I expect both will thrive there.

Davion had some good games for the Kings but with Swipa and Monk in front of him did not get much run. Best of luck to off night going forward.

Sasha never seemed to get comfortable with the Kings. I think he can play much better than we saw.

I think Monte did both Davion and Sasha a solid by moving them to Toronto.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
A bit off topic but Raptors coach and Sasha were both at a recent congress in Athens that was hosted for Euroleague coaches, so perhaps the first contact between them happened there 4 days ago. According to Greek media the Raptors intend to keep him (despite the rumors about Euroleague teams offering him much money) but then again their #31 pick plays in the same position.

On topic, I really liked Davion all those years since before Keon he was the only one trying so hard in the defensive part and he had this "thug" attitude (in a good way) sometimes when he was cooking in offense even though he doesn't have a bag full of offensive skills in a way. The last couple of years with the Kings having become much more competitive it was numerous times that I was frustrated with him mostly when missing open shots. But it was many times he was the "unsung" (is this how it's written?) hero, especially when stepping up filling for Fox the times that Swipa was out with injury. He had a couple of big performances as a starter. I wish him the best and I will be keeping an eye for both him and Sasha at the Raptors, not watching their full matches though.
I think Sasha will do well in Toronto. That's a team which has an immediate need for his skillset and a great city which is probably more his speed than the mostly-suburban Sacramento.

I'm sad to see Davion go. He was an absolute pest on defense but it's hard to justify keeping him on a second contract when Fox, Ellis, Monk, and now Carter are all ahead of him in the rotation. Quickley just got a huge raise so it's unlikely Davion earns a starting spot there either, but if he plays well he'll earn himself a decent second contract somewhere. I'll be rooting for him!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
His work ethic will make him into a very good backup point guard I believe. It's hard to take that we had to give up two 2nd round picks (one very high 2nd rounder) for the cost of Toronto gaining his services.

His work ethic will make him into a very good backup point guard I believe. It's hard to take that we had to give up two 2nd round picks (one very high 2nd rounder) for the cost of Toronto gaining his services.
He should start tbh I think he'd be an excellent starting pg

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I knew there wasn't much of a path forward but I am sure gonna miss him.

A little bummed that the path in Toronto isn't as wide open as I assumed as it looks like Quickley will be starting at PG and they have a pretty crowded back court rotation that isn't wanting for size and also seems to push Scottie into SF despite the alleged insistence he is also the PG.