Welcome Jalen McDaniels

I watched his brother play at the U of Washington. Jayden has always been an immature punk with emotional problems. He has started to grow up. Now we get his brother with sexual assault issues. Not my favorite family.

Character matters. Just ask the Celtics.

I see all you homies on this forum look at this trade in a vacuum and hence say "You can’t have it both ways, you can't expect to make a trade without having cap space". Clearly, that is the wrong perspective. You have to look at this move as a whole. Yes, under the new cba the team above the tax is extremely limited at making a transfer. That is why under the new cba rules only smart and inventive front offices (like Mavs and Pacers) prosper. Monte clearly isn't adept at playing at the margins.

I agree you cannot blame him for ditching Davion and Sasha for cap space. But you can blame him for bringing over Vezenkov, signing him to such a contract and not being able to foresee: 1. that given his playing style we didn't need him (his offense translates perfectly, but without a dominant weak side help rim protector to insulate him defensively (like Robert Williams III), he wouldn't get much time on the court and wouldn't get ahead of Lyles, who is a better or more nba ready player and hence his contract would become a negative value; 2. that in case Monk stayed, Sasha's contract would put you above the cap and limit your flexibility in trades, hence ridding it means sacrificing more assets that this team (compared not to OKC, but to a team like the Pelicans) does not have in abundance. Should anyone in front office foresee this? Abso****inlutely.

Comparison with the Denver situation is not entirely the same. Denver badly needed point guard depth behind often injured Murray and so took a risk with Jackson to secure depth in that position. We didn't have that urgency, at least not with the type of player Vezenkov is.

He already did this last year and it hurt. Because he signed Holmes to a long contract in a time when the team wasn't competitive. And again this year with Vezenkov. At this rate, it doesn't look we are becoming even a low tier playoff team. I really like how Indiana does business. When they were bad, they signed Miles Turner to a short contract and overpayed him. When they got competitive, they signed him to a long better value contract. I also really liked their business with Bruce Brown, signing him to a two year contract and overpaying him, with second year team option, and then using this contract in a transfer for salary matching purpose. That is smart.

It is a tough pill to swallow losing this year's 45 and next year's portland second rounder. If we kept this year's 45 and drafted Chomche, this draft would be a win for me. Carter is an OK pick at 13. Even if Crawford becomes a steal like Keon did, this doesn't really change the negative outcome of Monty's antics with the second rounders in this draft. The best way to raise ceiling of this team is to find steals in the draft, because teams don't really want to trade two way wing players. And we don't really have enough assets to compete for the elite wings.

[...] I really like how Indiana does business. When they were bad, they signed Miles Turner to a short contract and overpayed him. When they got competitive, they signed him to a long better value contract. I also really liked their business with Bruce Brown, signing him to a two year contract and overpaying him, with second year team option, and then using this contract in a transfer for salary matching purpose. That is smart.
You might like how they do business, but this isn't accurate. They gave Myles a rookie extension of 4/72 in 2018, and then gave him a 2/60 extension in 2023 that added 18 mill to the last year of his rookie extension and then pays him 20 per for each of last year and next season.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You might like how they do business, but this isn't accurate. They gave Myles a rookie extension of 4/72 in 2018, and then gave him a 2/60 extension in 2023 that added 18 mill to the last year of his rookie extension and then pays him 20 per for each of last year and next season.
And they were only able to do this because the Suns matched the massive contract they offered to Ayton. Sometimes it’s better to have someone save you from yourself than to actually be smart from the get-go

I see all you homies on this forum look at this trade in a vacuum and hence say "You can’t have it both ways, you can't expect to make a trade without having cap space". Clearly, that is the wrong perspective. You have to look at this move as a whole. Yes, under the new cba the team above the tax is extremely limited at making a transfer. That is why under the new cba rules only smart and inventive front offices (like Mavs and Pacers) prosper. Monte clearly isn't adept at playing at the margins.

I agree you cannot blame him for ditching Davion and Sasha for cap space. But you can blame him for bringing over Vezenkov, signing him to such a contract and not being able to foresee: 1. that given his playing style we didn't need him (his offense translates perfectly, but without a dominant weak side help rim protector to insulate him defensively (like Robert Williams III), he wouldn't get much time on the court and wouldn't get ahead of Lyles, who is a better or more nba ready player and hence his contract would become a negative value; 2. that in case Monk stayed, Sasha's contract would put you above the cap and limit your flexibility in trades, hence ridding it means sacrificing more assets that this team (compared not to OKC, but to a team like the Pelicans) does not have in abundance. Should anyone in front office foresee this? Abso****inlutely.

Comparison with the Denver situation is not entirely the same. Denver badly needed point guard depth behind often injured Murray and so took a risk with Jackson to secure depth in that position. We didn't have that urgency, at least not with the type of player Vezenkov is.

He already did this last year and it hurt. Because he signed Holmes to a long contract in a time when the team wasn't competitive. And again this year with Vezenkov. At this rate, it doesn't look we are becoming even a low tier playoff team. I really like how Indiana does business. When they were bad, they signed Miles Turner to a short contract and overpayed him. When they got competitive, they signed him to a long better value contract. I also really liked their business with Bruce Brown, signing him to a two year contract and overpaying him, with second year team option, and then using this contract in a transfer for salary matching purpose. That is smart.

It is a tough pill to swallow losing this year's 45 and next year's portland second rounder. If we kept this year's 45 and drafted Chomche, this draft would be a win for me. Carter is an OK pick at 13. Even if Crawford becomes a steal like Keon did, this doesn't really change the negative outcome of Monty's antics with the second rounders in this draft. The best way to raise ceiling of this team is to find steals in the draft, because teams don't really want to trade two way wing players. And we don't really have enough assets to compete for the elite wings.
What?

Why would we blame Monte for Sasha not working out? FA signings bust all the time. And, even still, he was a solid depth piece for us last season. Not what we wanted, obviously, but he still contributed.

I'll bash the move properly, depending on the rest of the summer. If this let's us get a quality role player in FA or facilitate a bigger trade, I don't care at all about 45 or the Por second rounder. If it turns out those were just money saving moves... then yeah. Oof.

Hey, look. KB02 created a new account lolol.

You are all good, we are not poking fun of you at all! When the trade was first announced, I was extremely happy to see that we traded for JaDen McDaniels, but when I realized it was actually JaLen McDaniels, I just went "oh."

I think that's the same reaction everyone had
And that said, Jalen has had some moments in the NBA. Hopefully he can carve out a role for himself in Sac.