Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few interesting blurbs from Amick's latest piece in the Athletic:

1. As expected, the Kings are open to trading the 13th pick for win now players
  2. Even though there was a major concern that he wouldn't re-sign, there is some lingering regret in the Kings FO that they didn't complete the Siakam trade, even with no assurances.
  3. Monk re-signed with apparently no guarantees about his role going forward.
  4. The Kings were close to trading for Caruso. Sounds like the 13th pick would have been involved, but no indication what the full proposal might have been.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Oh really? I get the concerns with Holland, but man. Maybe in a different draft, I could see why he'd fall, but I don't think there's many better ceiling cases in this draft than him. Maybe he's got a lower floor, but in terms of a home-run swing? This would be insane
This is such a weird draft year. I look at the mock drafts and I have very little interest in about 10 of the players mocked to be picked above us. Topic, Risacher, Salaun, Cody Williams, Buzelis, and Knecht are all easy passes for me and I won't shed any tears about missing out on Sheppard, Clingan, Castle, or Edey either. My short list is Sarr (obviously will be taken early) then Dillingham and Holland with Ron Holland very close to being my #1 prospect in this draft. Seeing him fall to us at #13 would be like Haliburton all over again. Just a dream scenario which seemed implausible 3 months ago.

2. Even though there was a major concern that he wouldn't re-sign, there is some lingering regret in the Kings FO that they didn't complete the Siakam trade, even with no assurances.
  4. The Kings were close to trading for Caruso. Sounds like the 13th pick would have been involved, but no indication what the full proposal might have been.
I'm just real curious what the buying power of a Huerter or HB+13 has around the league. If 13 for Caruso was considered, that's excellent news for us in terms of being competitive for quality role guys.

-Cam Johnson
-Okongwu
-Kuzma? (ugh)
-Hunter
-Isaiah Stewart
-Grant Williams

I think this tier of player is probably where we're going to be living with Huerter/Davion/13/HB as our main trade assets.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m still convinced we’re not making this pick. It’s the least I’ve been invested in a draft in quite some time. I’ll study our new guy if we make the pick, and best part? I’m not “IN” on anyone. So no matter what, I won’t be let down. Lmao

I’m still convinced we’re not making this pick. It’s the least I’ve been invested in a draft in quite some time. I’ll study our new guy if we make the pick, and best part? I’m not “IN” on anyone. So no matter what, I won’t be let down. Lmao
thats where im at. SF/PF/C either way. if Monte picks one im sure he did his due diligence if he trades the pick we will probably get somebody he thinks we need

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I can understand that attitude with this year's draft class. It ruffles my feathers a bit though because Monte also traded out of his first round pick last year and we know Atlanta is getting the 2025 pick. Going three years in a row without a first round pick is rough, regardless of team standing. Teams stay relevant (and affordable) by constantly finding and developing rotation players in the first round more often than not. I'm also not sold on Colby Jones being anything other than end of the bench fodder. Unfortunately guys like Keon Ellis who rise out of second round and undrafted obscurity to become solid contributors are few and far between.

no guarantees about role for monk sounds like we could still be in the Lavine trade

I get this for McCain who can handle the ball a bit but will mostly be looked at in the NBA as a shooter. But Dillingham only played off the ball as much as he did because he was on a Kentucky team with a million other guards. He's one of the most (if not the most) dynamic off the dribble shot creator in this draft. To call him a smallish shooter is baffling to me. That's almost like calling Kyrie Irving a smallish shooter.
I should have spaced that out better. I said prior that Dillingham was a better Monk replacement before. I was only talking about McCain in that sense.

I can understand that attitude with this year's draft class. It ruffles my feathers a bit though because Monte also traded out of his first round pick last year and we know Atlanta is getting the 2025 pick. Going three years in a row without a first round pick is rough, regardless of team standing. Teams stay relevant (and affordable) by constantly finding and developing rotation players in the first round more often than not. I'm also not sold on Colby Jones being anything other than end of the bench fodder. Unfortunately guys like Keon Ellis who rise out of second round and undrafted obscurity to become solid contributors are few and far between.
Yeah, I think people wholly underrate the value of cost-controlled rookie talent. Of course there's a chance for a huge spike in them becoming a star or just completely busting out, but even if a guy is just a good quality rotation player on a cheap deal, that matters a ton too. Otherwise, you have to turn to FA and spending 10+mil for the same sort of production.

Eh, going from should have traded for Siakam anyway to a role guy? Yes, Caruso would have helped but there had to be more to this.

fourth mock today to have us take Holland. At this point so many people are slotting him to us that it absolutely won’t happen and Sheppard is going to fall to our pick or something instead.
Yeah, gotta wonder if there's some serious chatter about this out in smokescreen city right now. Or is Holland trying to force his way to Sac?

Oh really? I get the concerns with Holland, but man. Maybe in a different draft, I could see why he'd fall, but I don't think there's many better ceiling cases in this draft than him. Maybe he's got a lower floor, but in terms of a home-run swing? This would be insane
It would be great to see what a home-run swing could also do in a stable/winning environment. Something we've never had when taking those swings in the past, it was just - please be our savior lol

I have some concerns about Holland - mostly involving his shot and feel on offense. And I don’t think he’d help the Kings next year. And I think the Kings are trading the pick.

But I would not be mad if the Kings took a swing on him. I love his motor. And he’s got the tools.

Got a chance to look a bit closer at Edey, since it does seem he's on our radar.

-Think there's virtually no chance he busts as an NBA player. He's too big and his mobility is good enough that he'll be able to stay on an NBA floor at least as a rotation player. Both on offense as post player and a defensive rim protector
-He's loves that left shoulder bump/right hook move. He spams it, but hey. It's so damn successful, why wouldn't you? Will need to see more creativity at the NBA level to really trust as an NBA starter.
-Can use the left hook, but clearly not as comfortable as he is with the right
-One of the most statistically dominant stat profiles I've ever seen from a college player:

65.9% TS
33.4% USG
10.8% TOV
14.6% Ast
22% TRB
.808 FTr (wut)

Absurdly efficient with the biggest workload in the country, doesn't turn the ball over, dominant rebounder, and shows he's a good passer out of the post. I get the contextual factors of him being so much bigger than everyone else, but 2 things: That's going to continue to be the case in the NBA and... these numbers still have to count for something. He just played the NCAA on rookie mode the last 2 seasons with these video game numbers.

-Defensively, he's an absolute wall at the rim. Very hard to move him off his spot and he really just has to get a hand up to get a good contest on any drive or shot. Again, he's such a smart player that he fully understands how to contest shots without getting into foul trouble.
-In space, he gets slow footed and will have possessions he just gets smoked. This will be one of his biggest hurdles in the NBA to prove; I think everyone knows he'll be a good-great rim protector, but the modern NBA requires bigs to at least have some ability to defend in space.

Overall, I think he's going to be a good pro, but I think he's a case where I would consider fit with us as a reason to knock him down a few slots. Unless we trust Domas to just go full C-Webb and transition as a 4 man, there's no chance both of them will be able to share the floor together. I don't know if Edey is a great stylistic fit either with Fox/Monk as a slower big that's not trying to get up and down the court. Purdue, as an example, was 204th in the country in possessions per game.

Carter
Knecht
Holmes
Da Silva
Edey
Bub

Is my ranking of guys I've taken a closer look at. Bub vs Edey is a real interesting conversation on shorter-term value of Edey locking up that back-up C slot and being able to contribute to winning right away vs Bub as an upside play, 2 years down the road.
Givony described him as a six inches taller version of Jonas. That’s a pretty intriguing player

Holland makes me nervous. This is supposed to be a weak draft up top, why is a guy that was mentioned as a possible first pick in the draft before the season being mocked at the end of the lottery? I know we have heard some non basketball related concerns but what else? Vecenie is not particularly high on him. Said his defense was bad this year which is odd given he is known for that. Who knows

On the one hand, I can understand the appeal of moving the pick. We have a "window" with Fox and Sabonis at their supposed peak, the west is really tough, and rookies don't often contribute much to winning. But on the other hand we aren't good enough to only be short sighted. And if we pick someone at 13 who produces their value increases substantially. We got Sabonis because teams overlooked Hali in a supposedly weak draft. Sometimes I talk myself around to decisions after the fact - but I'll be a little frustrated if we don't draft someone.

Holland makes me nervous. This is supposed to be a weak draft up top, why is a guy that was mentioned as a possible first pick in the draft before the season being mocked at the end of the lottery? I know we have heard some non basketball related concerns but what else? Vecenie is not particularly high on him. Said his defense was bad this year which is odd given he is known for that. Who knows
A lot of the draft twitter nerds have him at the top of their lists. My understanding is that he was a great complementary player in high school but wasn't suited to the high usage / primary creator role he had in the G league. Someone also pointed out that, with the function of the ignite being to showcase guys, and the team generally being poor, there was never any real consequence for poor defence etc.

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
Honestly, every player in this draft makes me nervous in one way or the other. Even the ones in the top 5. This is a pretty weak draft as advertised.

Not even the highlight packages are getting me especially excited for anybody. Seems a couple of the YouTube draft profile guys have even taken the year off from doing profiles this draft is so weak.

Surely there will be some good players available though.

I think the BPA’s in our range are Collier, Dillingham, Butler, and McCain. Thats unfortunate. I really want to be to wowed by the bigger wings.

Guys like da Silva seems very unspectacular.

Cody Williams doesn’t look that good either, but I think his brothers game looks terrible as well but he’s pretty damn good obviously. So perhaps he is somebody to look at.

Holland and Salaun seem like guys that will be immediately stashed in the g-league. They are the ideal prototypes though…but too green. I do hope to get an immediate rotation player out of this pick

I almost want them to just take Edey lol

Givony described him as a six inches taller version of Jonas. That’s a pretty intriguing player
If he found a way to add a 3, like Jonas and Brook did, a lot of teams are going to feel very very dumb for passing on him.

Easier said than done, but I think he's skilled enough to do it. Super high volume FT shooter at 70%+ is very impressive for a big

I have some concerns about Holland - mostly involving his shot and feel on offense. And I don’t think he’d help the Kings next year. And I think the Kings are trading the pick.

But I would not be mad if the Kings took a swing on him. I love his motor. And he’s got the tools.
if he can play defense, stand in the corner and make a 3, he could be very helpful. And he wants to play defense.

This is such a weird draft year. I look at the mock drafts and I have very little interest in about 10 of the players mocked to be picked above us. Topic, Risacher, Salaun, Cody Williams, Buzelis, and Knecht are all easy passes for me and I won't shed any tears about missing out on Sheppard, Clingan, Castle, or Edey either. My short list is Sarr (obviously will be taken early) then Dillingham and Holland with Ron Holland very close to being my #1 prospect in this draft. Seeing him fall to us at #13 would be like Haliburton all over again. Just a dream scenario which seemed implausible 3 months ago.
Agree about Holland. He's been my #1 for a long time. For me, it goes Holland, Sarr, and Topic. Topic would also be in the top convo if it wasn't for his injury and even then I'd probably take him 3rd in this draft

Status
Not open for further replies.