Keon Tyrese Ellis

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know this thread is about Keon, but I'm also excited and hopeful about Colby next season. Could we have hit on two hidden gems? Would be so awesome if he turns into a solid consistent contributor.
If you had asked me when each came out of school, I would have guessed that Colby would be the better NBA player. Given what we saw from Keon at the end of last year I don't know if I can still hold out hope for Colby to be better than that, but definitely I think he's got a shot at being a rotation player. Might take another year, we'll see.

I know this thread is about Keon, but I'm also excited and hopeful about Colby next season. Could we have hit on two hidden gems? Would be so awesome if he turns into a solid consistent contributor.
Colby is a very cerebral player who tends to make the right play. He has very strong situational and court awareness and with some work on his jumper could be a solid bench player. With some serious development to his game it's not out of the realm for Him to crack the rotation and be a solid contributor.

That being said, I'm a big fan of Ellis. I wish he was 2" taller because he has SO much Doug Christie in his game he could be the second coming. I hope the Kings run the "Huerter off the bench" experiment as Huerter could be the second unit sniper we need.

I really don't think the Kings are that far off where they need to be to contend. Growth from Keegan, the proper fit next to him and Domas on the front line, and a solid bench unit that gels is pretty much the foundation they need.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you had asked me when each came out of school, I would have guessed that Colby would be the better NBA player. Given what we saw from Keon at the end of last year I don't know if I can still hold out hope for Colby to be better than that, but definitely I think he's got a shot at being a rotation player. Might take another year, we'll see.
I continue to be high on Colby. I think he can be a very good 3&D wing (SG/SF) who always seems to make the right play and offers the bonus of being a very good secondary playmaker. I don't think he'll have the impact that Keon did, just because Keon is elite defensively but he's very good in so many aspects of the game.

Keon also found himself in a pretty ideal situation IMO. Yes, he absolutely put in the hard work and has earned everything he's gotten, but the Kings are a great fit for him, and the team using him as a PG (both in the GLeague and as Fox's backup in the NBA) paid big dividends in terms of improving his handle and overall game. I absolutely love Ellis and what he brings and couldn't be happier to see him thriving now. IMO he should be the unquestioned starter at SG next season.

I continue to be high on Colby. I think he can be a very good 3&D wing (SG/SF) who always seems to make the right play and offers the bonus of being a very good secondary playmaker. I don't think he'll have the impact that Keon did, just because Keon is elite defensively but he's very good in so many aspects of the game.

Keon also found himself in a pretty ideal situation IMO. Yes, he absolutely put in the hard work and has earned everything he's gotten, but the Kings are a great fit for him, and the team using him as a PG (both in the GLeague and as Fox's backup in the NBA) paid big dividends in terms of improving his handle and overall game. I absolutely love Ellis and what he brings and couldn't be happier to see him thriving now. IMO he should be the unquestioned starter at SG next season.
I agree on Colby. High IQ guy, makes good decisions, versatile. I think the biggest thing with Colby is how his shot develops.

I think Colby is a very similar (and even a little younger) player than Devin Carter, who seems locked to be a lottery pick this year or even a top10. How good could be Colby stat sheet if he still played at college this past season? Could he be chosen in the top15?

Devin Carter looks like a good and ready NBA role player but I think with Davion, Colby and Keon we should go for a more ofensive and higher potential guard if we take that route (Carrington? McCain?). I like those guys around our pick. More than the frontcourt options.

That being said, I'm a big fan of Ellis. I wish he was 2" taller because he has SO much Doug Christie in his game he could be the second coming.
Funny thing is, Keon did measure 2 inches taller in the official NBA draft combine results. I remember when we signed him, he was considered a 6'"4 or 6'5" combo guard. For some reason he has "shrank" down to 6'3" in the NBA.

Keon Ellis SG 3.80% 8.00 9.25 w/o shoes 6' 3.50'' with shoes 6' 4.75'' 8' 6.00'' 167.4 lbs wingspan 6'8.50''

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2022-23

Same thing happened with Davion, where he was measured at 6'1-6'2" in the combine and now he is listed at 6'0". Go figure, somehow the Kings players keep shrinking? :p

Funny thing is, Keon did measure 2 inches taller in the official NBA draft combine results. I remember when we signed him, he was considered a 6'"4 or 6'5" combo guard. For some reason he has "shrank" down to 6'3" in the NBA.

Keon Ellis SG 3.80% 8.00 9.25 w/o shoes 6' 3.50'' with shoes 6' 4.75'' 8' 6.00'' 167.4 lbs wingspan 6'8.50''

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2022-23

Same thing happened with Davion, where he was measured at 6'1-6'2" in the combine and now he is listed at 6'0". Go figure, somehow the Kings players keep shrinking? :p
It's the just the "in shoes" vs without confusion. I've noticed that many tend to use the "in shoes" height for guys who play big enough,...while then using the "without" for guys they view as needing more size.

Along with some players who might prefer a "rounded down" listed height, so they can be low key and sneaky with their length. Keon being one of these

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The sensible way to measure NBA playing height is to take the w/o shoes combine measurement (if there is one), then add 1" for shoes and round up. At least that way gets you a consistent basis for comparing player heights to each other. That makes Keon Ellis 6' 4.5". I'd just call that 6' 5" and be done with it.

But I also want to point out that a lot of prospects have come into the NBA and been out of the league after their rookie contract despite having ideal size for their position and stellar athletic testing results. Ultimately measurements aren't what define how good a player is (though oddly they still seem to have a lot of influence over how highly players are rated in the draft process). Case in point, Draymond Green is a 6' 7" PF who everyone passed on in the first round and he's probably going to end up in the Hall of Fame.

I think Colby is a very similar (and even a little younger) player than Devin Carter, who seems locked to be a lottery pick this year or even a top10. How good could be Colby stat sheet if he still played at college this past season? Could he be chosen in the top15?

Devin Carter looks like a good and ready NBA role player but I think with Davion, Colby and Keon we should go for a more ofensive and higher potential guard if we take that route (Carrington? McCain?). I like those guys around our pick. More than the frontcourt options.
My take is you just can't have enough players like that on your team. Looks at Bos; white, jrue, Pritchard, horf, KP, etc. They surrounded their stars with incredibly intelligent, high level defenders that take pride in their play on that end.

I think the thing about Keon and it may so weird, but his effort seems effortless. Not that he doesn’t put in effort, it’s just a normal part of his game. It’s not like he is out there pressing or forcing things. He isn’t trying to be MJ every time he is in, so the coach notices him.
and I guess that’s the thing, the only way to really see if guys can rise to that level is getting consistent minutes or more likely earning confidence in practice when only the coaches and teammates are watching. I like Colby and hopefully he follows the Ellis blueprint.

I think the thing about Keon and it may so weird, but his effort seems effortless. Not that he doesn’t put in effort, it’s just a normal part of his game. It’s not like he is out there pressing or forcing things. He isn’t trying to be MJ every time he is in, so the coach notices him.
and I guess that’s the thing, the only way to really see if guys can rise to that level is getting consistent minutes or more likely earning confidence in practice when only the coaches and teammates are watching. I like Colby and hopefully he follows the Ellis blueprint.
Keon is one of the few guards who will actually state in an interview that his goal on offense is to get the best shot for the team and not force anything. One of the reasons the team plays well with him, is that he doesn't try to do too much and is always focused on the right play for the team.

Sometimes less is more

Keon is one of the few guards who will actually state in an interview that his goal on offense is to get the best shot for the team and not force anything. One of the reasons the team plays well with him, is that he doesn't try to do too much and is always focused on the right play for the team.

Sometimes less is more
Keon has fully bought into his role; he knows he's out there to be a defensive stopper, move the ball on offense, hit the c&s 3s when they come and just be efficient in his 5-7 shots a game. Can't underestimate how valuable it is that he doesn't try be something he's not.

His time as a PG in the G League is what I think really made him a playable offensive player and thus letting his defense on the floor. He's just a good secondary ball handler and playmaker that moves the ball. I don't think he's ever a primary offensive option, akin to a Jrue Holiday type, but he doesn't need to be. He's absurdly valuable if he just does exactly what he did last season

Keon has fully bought into his role; he knows he's out there to be a defensive stopper, move the ball on offense, hit the c&s 3s when they come and just be efficient in his 5-7 shots a game. Can't underestimate how valuable it is that he doesn't try be something he's not.

His time as a PG in the G League is what I think really made him a playable offensive player and thus letting his defense on the floor. He's just a good secondary ball handler and playmaker that moves the ball. I don't think he's ever a primary offensive option, akin to a Jrue Holiday type, but he doesn't need to be. He's absurdly valuable if he just does exactly what he did last season
I was impressed by the fact that he didn't take time to evolve into this....and get the impression Brown and McNair were as well. It was clear that he had already committed to it in his own mind, before getting regular playing time in the NBA. There's not many guys with that kind of iQ, from the start of their time in the league

I was impressed by the fact that he didn't take time to evolve into this....and get the impression Brown and McNair were as well. It was clear that he had already committed to it in his own mind, before getting regular playing time in the NBA. There's not many guys with that kind of iQ, from the start of their time in the league
And guess what? Dude is very likely on a path to make at least 100+ mil in his career because of it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I know people like to be critical about lots of things high up the chain, but Keon is probably the biggest exemplar that some of the year to year synergy between G-League, a coach and FO on the same page, and a long term plan will pay dividends. And I think that's why I am high on keeping 13 and even potentially adding a second pick this year.

What most impressed me was how Keon improved the team’s communication on defense. Talking matters. After he became a starter he looked like the captain of the defense/coach on the floor. This made everyone better defenders.
I don't think it can be quantifiably measured how important what you said was to the starters.

The defense needed a QB and Fox (for better or worse) was looked at as the primary option for that, a role he is not really suited for.

Brown tried to make Keegan step into that role but Keegan is too quiet, and too much of a point of attack and weak side defender. Keon on the other hand is not only a point of attack and weak side defender, he also knows passing lanes really well. He can point players in the right direction when he sees them either out of position for a C&S or a potential back cut they might be out of position for.

I'm all in on Keon as the starting 2. I think his intangibles raise the floor of both the offense and defense as he takes what he can get offensively without trying to do too much, and he quarterbacks the defense.

And his contract is gorgeous. The Kings knew what they had with him signing him to that contract before fully unleashing him. I just can't help but think the plan was not to compete for a championship this year, but to build a long term contender over the next couple of years.

OK, so this is actually tricky.

We had Keon on a Two-Way last year. We have him currently on a two-year deal with a team option for a third year. Since Keon did play in the NBA (16 games) last season, he established a year of service time. This year is year two of service time. Next year is year three of service time.

The team option year would be year four of service time. After that season, Keon would be an UNRESTRICTED free agent, because only players with three years of service time or less, or players coming off of a first-round rookie contract can be restricted. Keon would not qualify.

That means that if we want to make Keon a restricted free agent, we have to DECLINE the third year option, and let him enter free agency in the summer of '25.

Since Two-Way deals DO count for Bird Rights, we would have Keon's Bird Rights if we declined the team option.

So things could get very interesting, with the Kings possibly declining the option for year three in order to ensure that they can resign Ellis as both an RFA and with no effective cap restrictions.
in other words it is a well done contract. As bad a the Davion pick was the Keon pick was genius. I’m guessing his name is coming up a lot in trade talks.

in other words it is a well done contract. As bad a the Davion pick was the Keon pick was genius. I’m guessing his name is coming up a lot in trade talks.
And I wouldn’t be shocked if we decline the 3rd year option with some sort of message to the league that we are matching. That’s sort of how Herb Jones ended up on his amazing deal (if I’m not mistaken). He was a 2nd round pick and they declined his last year (preventing him from hitting UFA and thus making him an RFA) and they were able to resign him to a bargain, long term contract.

That would be great if it works out like that for us as well.

Even with Monk resigning, Keon should absolutely be our starting SG next year. The way he elevated our defense was insane and the Fox/Ellis backcourt is a nightmare for the opposition defensively, very very active hands. Lot of steals and deflections.
Fox, Keon, and Murray is a hell of a defensive force. It's kind of how the Timberwolves can play two slower bigs, because they are pretty damn good on the perimeter.

Even with Monk resigning, Keon should absolutely be our starting SG next year. The way he elevated our defense was insane and the Fox/Ellis backcourt is a nightmare for the opposition defensively, very very active hands. Lot of steals and deflections.
Why does that necessitate starting? Why is it somehow more important than putting the ball in the hole and playmaking?

To me, this is a “tomato tomahto” situation. A personal preference.

I think more important than starting is who is playing the more important minutes. And that is all situational. Does the team need an offensive spark? Does it need a defensive spark? That depends upon the opponent, the matchups, and how a particular game is trending.

There’s really no definitive answer other than to go with the flow and adjust.

And I wouldn’t be shocked if we decline the 3rd year option with some sort of message to the league that we are matching. That’s sort of how Herb Jones ended up on his amazing deal (if I’m not mistaken). He was a 2nd round pick and they declined his last year (preventing him from hitting UFA and thus making him an RFA) and they were able to resign him to a bargain, long term contract.

That would be great if it works out like that for us as well.
Oh, we're 100% declining the option next year, assuming Keon is who we think.

You never risk him getting to UFA. Keep the RFA rights and lock him down.

Fox, Keon, and Murray is a hell of a defensive force. It's kind of how the Timberwolves can play two slower bigs, because they are pretty damn good on the perimeter.
We need one more to be serious about defense. Thybulle should be considered especially if Huerter is outgoing in a transaction.

Why does that necessitate starting? Why is it somehow more important than putting the ball in the hole and playmaking?

To me, this is a “tomato tomahto” situation. A personal preference.

I think more important than starting is who is playing the more important minutes. And that is all situational. Does the team need an offensive spark? Does it need a defensive spark? That depends upon the opponent, the matchups, and how a particular game is trending.

There’s really no definitive answer other than to go with the flow and adjust.
I believe it is important to start a game with a defensive intensity. It is always harder to cool a team down once they have started heating up. That is why I would start Ellis. Also, it is important to have a good scorer off the bench who can initiate his own offense, and Monk fits that to a tee.

I believe it is important to start a game with a defensive intensity. It is always harder to cool a team down once they have started heating up. That is why I would start Ellis. Also, it is important to have a good scorer off the bench who can initiate his own offense, and Monk fits that to a tee.
If monk wants to start and did us all a solid the guy will start

This guy gets it. Monk will still play starter minutes and will be in the closing lineup.