Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Brown likes to play a 3 guard lineup, so theoretically Lavine can play SF. But any trade to get Lavine after Malik walks free is going to put the Kings in a precarious situation. Getting Caruso in the deal would have helped. I'm not so sure it makes sense to get Lavine by himself.
LaVine was always the score. He's the talent (and risk). Caruso could be more in the right situation but he's every bit a role player. And then again, don't the Kings already kind of maybe have their Caruso in Keon? 3-4 guards especially with a 3 guard lineup at times is easily doable.

I think the best we can do with our assets right now and the other teams possible trade candidates (except Isaac) is to be patient and wait a year. Draft the player who we think has the highest upside while being able to play 20+ minutes in his rookie season and then make the big trade the next off-season when Huerter and Barnes will become in a near 40M of expiring contracts. And even maybe we can allow ourselves to include this young guy after his rookie season and make of him an appealing asset beside the 40M.

A player like Jaquez or Podziemski and 40M of expiring deals + 2 1st picks can give us a 3rd star with real positive value and not the players that are being discussed right now. Or at least a real good complement without the picks.

Trade our expiring deals, Duarte, Vezenkov and Lyles/Mitchell (depend if Monk is gone or he stays) for a starter caliber PF (DFS? Portis? Stewart?). And try to get 2 of Jalen Smith, Naji Marshall, Lonnie Walker, Goga Bitadze or FA like those to complete the rotation and still being competitive.
Expirings just don't seem to have the value anymore because teams usually just want them to fall off their own books. We'll see if Simmons can land a haul. He's another guy I wouldn't mind Monte looking at. I'm not sure the Nets want long term salary though. IMO, Monte either makes a move that pushes his team forward in terms of the talent level now, or he starts wiggling dollars off his cap for 2025. The more I look at the Kings cap situation I wonder why Monte didn't see he was possibly walling off the only potential opportunity he'd have to make a move by signing Barnes to that many years. Even if the value is nil if Monte can get Huerter and Barnes off his books he has one LAST legit shot in FA to make a splash before his cap explodes just keeping Fox and Murray. Of course, if he re-signs Monk that's pretty much it anyway. This team either just had an off year, or they fade.

Expirings just don't seem to have the value anymore because teams usually just want them to fall off their own books. We'll see if Simmons can land a haul. He's another guy I wouldn't mind Monte looking at. I'm not sure the Nets want long term salary though. IMO, Monte either makes a move that pushes his team forward in terms of the talent level now, or he starts wiggling dollars off his cap for 2025. The more I look at the Kings cap situation I wonder why Monte didn't see he was possibly walling off the only potential opportunity he'd have to make a move by signing Barnes to that many years. Even if the value is nil if Monte can get Huerter and Barnes off his books he has one LAST legit shot in FA to make a splash before his cap explodes just keeping Fox and Murray. Of course, if he re-signs Monk that's pretty much it anyway. This team either just had an off year, or they fade.
Vivek needs to spend money if he wants to win.

I may be in the minority here, but I think OKC will regret trading low on Giddy. While Caruso is a nice role player, I don't think he puts them over the top.

If Giddy is given the reigns of his own team to run, like Hali was in Indy, your going to see a player capable of putting up 20 pts and close to 8-10 assists per game. Just like Presti gave up on Harden too soon when he was sharing the ball with Westbrook, I think Giddy will flourish in Chicago if they have a smart enough coach to gives him the reigns of the team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I may be in the minority here, but I think OKC will regret trading low on Giddy. While Caruso is a nice role player, I don't think he puts them over the top.

If Giddy is given the reigns of his own team to run, like Hali was in Indy, your going to see a player capable of putting up 20 pts and close to 8-10 assists per game. Just like Presti gave up on Harden too soon when he was sharing the ball with Westbrook, I think Giddy will flourish in Chicago if they have a smart enough coach to gives him the reigns of the team.
Giddey was in a bit of a Haliburton situation in OKC, stuck playing on a team with SGA at his position. The Kings managed to sell Tyrese at value, the Thunder didn't. Caruso is a nice complementary player, but I agree this could look really bad in a few years. That said, Coby White isn't going to go down easy, either. But at least he's no SGA to compete with.

He just spent 78 million to resign Monk. Don’t really want oft injured Lavine with his inflated contract. Hoping we trade Barnes and Huerter and a draft pick to get Brandon Ingram, Kuzma, or Jonathan Isaac. Need that length.
Also I think Grant becomes a much better option now. Monte is out on any potential FA signings now might as well go all the way with it and see how it shakes out.

I don't get the talk for replacing Len. I thought he did a great job as backup. Is it because hes a FA? Are they looking for someone to stretch the floor more and provide more backup minutes then Len so not to wear down Domas? I just think we have more pressing needs, like a 4! Disclaimer: I am a big Len guy lol

Meanwhile no teenage girl in the windy city is safe...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
how cheap could we get Miles Bridges?
I'm already on record as not wanting any part of Miles Bridges. But just from a cap perspective, we can't get him "cheap". If reports are to be believed, Charlotte is interested in signing him to a contract starting around $20M per year. If he wants more than that, they'll explore sign-and-trade options.

If that's really the case, the Kings wouldn't have any possibility of signing him outright and would have to get him via sign-and-trade on a deal that pays more than $20M per season.

Bridges could definitely fill the starting PF/SF need we have, just have to deal with the scrutiny that comes with the move, but maybe that’s something you have to think about as a small market team.

I’d guess we could dangle some kind of combination of Barnes, Sasha, Heurter, & Duarte + picks in a S&T.

Also, with a bunch of teams looking to move their picks I’d be looking into getting another early 20s/teens picks. There’s a lot of talent in that range for this draft. If we could get a higher prospect that falls at #13, then can grab someone like De Silva with our 2nd 1st round pick that would be huge.

Bridges could definitely fill the starting PF/SF need we have, just have to deal with the scrutiny that comes with the move, but maybe that’s something you have to think about as a small market team.

I’d guess we could dangle some kind of combination of Barnes, Sasha, Heurter, & Duarte + picks in a S&T.

Also, with a bunch of teams looking to move their picks I’d be looking into getting another early 20s/teens picks. There’s a lot of talent in that range for this draft. If we could get a higher prospect that falls at #13, then can grab someone like De Silva with our 2nd 1st round pick that would be huge.
I agree with you that Bridges could easily fill those spots on our roster in terms of fit, but I have to reject the idea that domestic abuse is something the Kings fans should be willing to overlook in order to get a quality player. Hard pass on Bridges for character reasons.

Last edited:

Yeah, on the floor Miles is probably the most perfect player out there for the Kings. He, Monk, and Fox? The team goes from a bit groundbound to flying the skies immediately! haha.

Haven’t seen this name floated out but Howard Beck says Jimmy Butler will be traded. I’d think at his age, $ and injury history he won’t demand a ton back.
It's Riley so who knows. The only thing is at his age and declining impact on W's whether or not that would be worth the risk for Sac. I think he'd cost a lot more than PG13 in a sign and trade for sure. Not sure the Kings have the assets to get Butler. Or at least want to sink the future for him. I'm sure the Heat would want Murray and for anyone that age that's a heck no. If the Kings were in the discussion last season maybe. They were a 46 win team after peaking at 48 with no clear MVP level talent on the roster. Nope.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
He plays the same position as their best player and their second best player’s brother
If he wasn't getting minutes last year it would make more sense, was Mo out a good chunk of the year or what? He officially joined the team at the same time or after all the other big men on their roster.

It's Riley so who knows. The only thing is at his age and declining impact on W's whether or not that would be worth the risk for Sac. I think he'd cost a lot more than PG13 in a sign and trade for sure. Not sure the Kings have the assets to get Butler. Or at least want to sink the future for him. I'm sure the Heat would want Murray and for anyone that age that's a heck no. If the Kings were in the discussion last season maybe. They were a 46 win team after peaking at 48 with no clear MVP level talent on the roster. Nope.
Wouldn’t give up Keegan for him, but if they would take expirings, fillers and draft capital that could be an interesting fit.

I’m enjoying all the possibilities and appreciate that we have a competent FO. With Monk locked in, the direction is somewhat clearer, but still so curious if the 13th will be part of a trade for an established forward or should I stay enthusiastic about this years 1st round.

I like Bajas suggestion in the second round. Freeman should be there and sounds an intriguing option for much needed wing depth.