Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The draft heads keep moving Carter higher and higher up their draft boards, I’ve even seen as high as top 5. The intel on his workouts has been that he is killing it. Seems like a lot of people are coming to a similar conclusion and he probably won’t be available when we pick.

I’ve re-visited Holmes a bit lately and a local guy (Sac) from No Ceilings was on Deuce and Mo discussing him as an option. He was in the 90th percentile on several offensive Synergy stats. Sounds like he is an A plus character type of guy (according to many who know him) and has had roles as a complimentary piece and as the main cog. Sounds a lot like Keegan Murray. With all the rumors of our interest in big men, don’t think I’ll be shocked if his name is called. I’m still not convinced he can play the 4 but who knows

Getting a look at Tristan da Silva and coming away with the notion that this dude has to be incredibly high on Monte's board. He's everything Monte looks for in a draft pick:

-Upper classman
-2-way player with defensive versatility. I think he'll be a very good wing defender at the NBA level, at the 3 or 4.
-elite shooter that's comfortable in spot-up and DHO scenarios. With his huge sample over the last 3 seasons of consistently great shooting, has a case as one of the better shooters that we can feel confident will translate to the NBA level. I think he's a perfect fit for our motion happy offense running DHO's off Domas, cutting, etc.
-Not to be a buzz-word guy here, but he's a good "connective" passer in the same vein as a Huerter. He'll never be a primary playmaker or initiator, but he'll make the right read over and over again.
-Super intelligent with high bball IQ. Understands how to be impactful on the floor, even if he's not a focal point of the offense. Rotates well on defense, gets a lot of verticality's on defense, can stay in front of his man.
-I don't think he's just a shooter either. Colorado ran him in quite a few DHO type scenarios, but he's got enough on-ball skill to keep the possession alive and create. Again, kind of like HB and Huerter, there's enough on-ball game where he won't just be a shooter at the NBA level.

Not the best athlete, bit on the skinnier side and while the wingspan is good "6'10", it's not overwhelming for a wing. His stat profile did stagnate too, this past year, which I don't love, although his role did change a bit where he wasn't as much a feature option. I think he understands his role on the floor though and he's just really worked to perfect it. He's a lights-out shooter with secondary self-creation and playmaking potential that's impactful as a versatile wing defender and KNOWS that's his role on a team. Seems like someone who could step in tomorrow and help a playoff team win games.

Will continue scouting through some of these guys, but if I had to rank the guys I've gotten through so far:

Carter
Knecht
Da Silva
Holmes
Bub
I honestly think da Silva is the pick if we stay at 13. Agree with everything you say here. This screams a Monte pick. I think da Silva can come in and make a Jaime Jaquez like impact. Different player, but I think that level of impact on a playoff team.

I honestly think da Silva is the pick if we stay at 13. Agree with everything you say here. This screams a Monte pick. I think da Silva can come in and make a Jaime Jaquez like impact. Different player, but I think that level of impact on a playoff team.
If the Kings make a move for LaVine and Caruso then even less reason to consider another guard. da Silva should be sitting there at 13 and adresses that position of need with maturity, and of course Baja makes a good case for him.
Bleacher Reports comp for him is Trey Lyles which I wish was a little more exciting but that’s often useless information anyways.

The draft heads keep moving Carter higher and higher up their draft boards, I’ve even seen as high as top 5. The intel on his workouts has been that he is killing it. Seems like a lot of people are coming to a similar conclusion and he probably won’t be available when we pick.

I’ve re-visited Holmes a bit lately and a local guy (Sac) from No Ceilings was on Deuce and Mo discussing him as an option. He was in the 90th percentile on several offensive Synergy stats. Sounds like he is an A plus character type of guy (according to many who know him) and has had roles as a complimentary piece and as the main cog. Sounds a lot like Keegan Murray. With all the rumors of our interest in big men, don’t think I’ll be shocked if his name is called. I’m still not convinced he can play the 4 but who knows
The Holmes at the 4 possibility with Sabonis has me intrigued. And the lineup versatility as a back up 5. He does check a ton of boxes if you believe in the shot (which I do). Can play the dunkers spot, be a lob threat, weak side shot blocker, put pressure on the rim, make quick reads as a passer, add length to the team, and help space the floor.

If someone can convince me that he can guard on the perimeter when switched, he’d be high on my list for #13.

Suddenly all the mocks have us taking Ron Holland at 13 which I would be absolutely thrilled by but he is yet again not a Monte pick by any sense of the word
If he's there and teams are interested, it might be a great move the pick candidate. Let someone else take the gamble.

If the Kings make a move for LaVine and Caruso then even less reason to consider another guard. da Silva should be sitting there at 13 and adresses that position of need with maturity, and of course Baja makes a good case for him.
Bleacher Reports comp for him is Trey Lyles which I wish was a little more exciting but that’s often useless information anyways.
Trey Lyles is a horrible comp for him lol.

Think more on the vein of a Caleb/Cody Martin, Deni Avdija, our very own HB with better defensive chops and before father timr took his athleticism. Just a good wing that should impact winning basketball

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Holland, Holmes, DaSilva are probably my three picks in order of likely to be there.

Would love to get a second pick in the 20s. Surely we can buy one.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Everyone is downplaying this draft I don't get what we are going to deal. We still have potential to add a piece at a higher level than we will if we routinely make the playoffs from this point forward. Who is making this call? I guess Brown reluctant to play rookies but you draft your Barnes replacement because I just don't see how we have enough to put together an adequate package to upgrade that spot. But we probably have the pieces to take a few reclamation projects on while we develop a pick.

That's just me.

Everyone is downplaying this draft I don't get what we are going to deal. We still have potential to add a piece at a higher level than we will if we routinely make the playoffs from this point forward. Who is making this call? I guess Brown reluctant to play rookies but you draft your Barnes replacement because I just don't see how we have enough to put together an adequate package to upgrade that spot. But we probably have the pieces to take a few reclamation projects on while we develop a pick.

That's just me.
Could be smokescreen szn.
Could be a team wanting a reset on money. Like a hunter or a avdjia type contract

I also think HB and Huerter aren't as worthless as some on this forum think

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The Monk situation both escalates the need to do something drastic and also shows why we should probably just take the opportunity to add another cost controlled contract while we sort things out. It's why I'd actually like to add a pick or two. It's far too late to do an OKC stunt but adding another pick in this class, Keon and Keegan hopefully continuing their leaps, and hope that Colby can play on the big kid's team will allow us to grow and develop trade pieces.

Would love to flip Duarte and Sasha (separately) for a pick in the 15-30 range to teams trying to get away from that second apron.

If we can move Huerter and HB to the bench over the next 2 seasons while the others take their place and eventually trade them as they expire that helps too.

That's just me.
They want to try to become a contender this next season. I think "patience" has been pulled back and there is a sense of urgency to move the chips in

They want to try to become a contender this next season. I think "patience" has been pulled back and there is a sense of urgency to move the chips in
I mean, there should be. We have two years of data of what this basic roster looks like. It's good enough on its very best day to make the second round and it's bad enough to lose in the play in. That's not the ceiling/floor you are looking for with two max guys in their prime on your roster.

All that being said, and this will always be the case, this franchise will need to be very cautious on taking risks, much more so than maybe 25 other teams.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The Celtics and Denver weren't built in a day and they seem to be the only teams aside from OKC that might have a sustainable path with the new CBA.

The fact is we don't actually have two max contracts yet but we will very soon so we have to be very careful about how we get to that second apron because once you are there you basically can't even tweak the roster.

Which is why draft picks and cost controlled contracts are essential.

That's just me.
Upper-tier talents are always going to command massive trade packages, but high-end role players and even lower-tier stars are going to be increasingly gettable at less than a kings' ransom as a result of the new CBA and the specter of the first and second aprons. Teams that have been running in place are likely going to be looking to get off contracts that aren't meeting value expectations. This doesn't necessarily mean the Kings will have an easier time upgrading the Barnes spot in the starting lineup, but with the new CBA in mind, and with the play-in tournament having the unintended consequence of defanging the trade deadline, there are going to be a lot of GMs prepared and willing to deal in the offseason. I have no idea what Monte has in mind, but if the reporting across the last few days is to be believed, he and many other GMs are already feverishly working the phones, and it's not even draft day yet.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Upper-tier talents are always going to command massive trade packages, but high-end role players and even lower-tier stars are going to be increasingly gettable at less than a kings' ransom as a result of the new CBA and the specter of the first and second aprons. Teams that have been running in place are likely going to be looking to get off contracts that aren't meeting value expectations. This doesn't necessarily mean the Kings will have an easier time upgrading the Barnes spot in the starting lineup, but with the new CBA in mind, and with the play-in tournament having the unintended consequence of defanging the trade deadline, there are going to be a lot of GMs prepared and willing to deal in the offseason. I have no idea what Monte has in mind, but if the reporting across the last few days is to be believed, he and many other GMs are already feverishly working the phones, and it's not even draft day yet.
Fox has declined an extension as he plays towards supermax qualifications. That could play to our favor (if we ever considered moving on), but in the meantime it also gives us some leeway as other teams realize the ramifications of that second apron. Let's not forget that as disappointing as our elimination was there are a dozen or so other teams that got wiped out in pretty humiliating fashion in the post season. A lot of teams are going to be more desperate than we are so it's not that I don't want to make moves I just don't want to rush into it so we can take advantage of teams more desperate in worse salary cap position than we are.

I illustrated the other day that even though we are pushing against the first apron (probably not since I don't see Monk returning but still crossing my fingers) even if we retain all our talent that puts us at 22nd in the league. (truthfully Monk's cap hold is about 4 million less than the early bird will be so not sure if that pushes us into the mid-teens when it's all said and done) Either way, we aren't big spenders and as "bad" as we have it 2/3rds of the league is in a worse spot.

I guess bottom line for me is I don't mind taking on a bad contract with some upside as long as we aren't shipping out 3-4 players to take it on because we'll never be able to replace that depth with the CBA ramifications. Cheap depth is going to be far more valuable in the next 2-3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.