Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a number of guys projected around the Kings pick that I either like more and/or am less worried about than some of the consensus top 10 guys.

Bub Carrington is definitely one. And on the other side, I wouldn't want any part of Reed Sheppard, Donovan Clingan, Rob Dillingham, or especially Matas Buzelis. Which isn't to say that they won't be successful - it would just make me really nervous to take them with a high draft pick.

I would really have loved to see 1 on 1 with Bub and Trey Alexander in that Kings workout. Imagine if Monte landed Carrington in the 1st round and Trey in the 2nd round? I think Trey might be a riser though. That would be a pretty sweet draft IMO. Bub as your Monk replacement and Trey as kind of a Bazemore type that does a little bit of everything.

I would really have loved to see 1 on 1 with Bub and Trey Alexander in that Kings workout. Imagine if Monte landed Carrington in the 1st round and Trey in the 2nd round? I think Trey might be a riser though. That would be a pretty sweet draft IMO. Bub as your Monk replacement and Trey as kind of a Bazemore type that does a little bit of everything.
Trey has Monte 2nd round pick written all over him.

Iv’e thought about this, but Gay would have to be pretty short sighted to not recognise this is a different team.
I like what Bub could bring to this team, and recon we could be a pretty good opportunity for him but that’s complicated by rather or not Monk returns.
I was just joking, it’s a non-factor.

I was just joking, it’s a non-factor.
yeah I saw your lol, still Sacramento has a history where some draftees, players, or their agents have wanted to stay clear.
I don’t know in what context Gay said this is basketball hell, but it’s kind of ridiculous considering what many people have to put up with for a pay check.

Last edited:
There are a number of guys projected around the Kings pick that I either like more and/or am less worried about than some of the consensus top 10 guys.

Bub Carrington is definitely one. And on the other side, I wouldn't want any part of Reed Sheppard, Donovan Clingan, Rob Dillingham, or especially Matas Buzelis. Which isn't to say that they won't be successful - it would just make me really nervous to take them with a high draft pick.
I would disagree on Reed Sheppard. I think he is going to be a really good player.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good stuff. Definitely my take away with him too; it's super exciting he's capable of being such a good on ball player so young, but... he he didn't shoot well at all. And with his athleticism, he just has to be a lights out shooter to really make it.
I do think some added lower body strength will help his shooting from deep.

Good stuff. Definitely my take away with him too; it's super exciting he's capable of being such a good on ball player so young, but... he he didn't shoot well at all. And with his athleticism, he just has to be a lights out shooter to really make it.
He didn't shoot well the C&S 3s but he was good at the rest. And he was the best shooter at the combine I think. He has the tools to be a good shooter at the max level. My only concern is his ability to attack the rim. If he gets stronger and is capable of doing it more frequently and better... The new SGA? I can't understand how he is not in the top5 talks. Everyone has clear weaknesses this year. I think his are ones of the most easiest to be fixed soon. And he is still 18.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
He didn't shoot well the C&S 3s but he was good at the rest. And he was the best shooter at the combine I think. He has the tools to be a good shooter at the max level. My only concern is his ability to attack the rim. If he gets stronger and is capable of doing it more frequently and better... The new SGA? I can't understand how he is not in the top5 talks. Everyone has clear weaknesses this year. I think his are ones of the most easiest to be fixed soon. And he is still 18.
I don't know how his shooting drills at the combine went, but his numbers at Pittsburgh were basically atrocious - for his first 27 games he shot .281 from three on high volume (6 attempts a game) which resulted in him having a .505 TS%. In his last six games he turned that around sharply - .476 from three and a .624 TS% which look eminently draftable...but that's six games. You have to believe in that hot spot being real to give him a look. That's a bit of a gamble. We did work him out so obviously there's a chance...

Bub is a young hooper. Seems to think the game at a high level. Said he has been working on his catch & shoot game because that is where he struggled last year. And that is what team’s are seeing in work outs.

If a team is going to take a swing - Bub is a pretty good bet. Outside of Carter and maybe Holmes or Edey - I don’t really see a player that I like having much impact on the Kings next year anyway.

the thing is that Bub is not a Monte pick in any sense. Obviously we’re starting to see his name attached to us in mocks and stuff but we’re probably still just taking whichever older-ish guy is falling the most
Yeah, Monte has drafted exactly 1 freshman (with a 2nd round pick) in his tenure with the Kings. Certainly dictates that their draft model greatly values college production and probably showing an improvement at the college level is vitally important to our staff. Bub would be a pretty big leap in draft philosophy from his past picks. But again, who knows, it's a wild draft this year with not a whole lot established.

Getting a look at Tristan da Silva and coming away with the notion that this dude has to be incredibly high on Monte's board. He's everything Monte looks for in a draft pick:

-Upper classman
-2-way player with defensive versatility. I think he'll be a very good wing defender at the NBA level, at the 3 or 4.
-elite shooter that's comfortable in spot-up and DHO scenarios. With his huge sample over the last 3 seasons of consistently great shooting, has a case as one of the better shooters that we can feel confident will translate to the NBA level. I think he's a perfect fit for our motion happy offense running DHO's off Domas, cutting, etc.
-Not to be a buzz-word guy here, but he's a good "connective" passer in the same vein as a Huerter. He'll never be a primary playmaker or initiator, but he'll make the right read over and over again.
-Super intelligent with high bball IQ. Understands how to be impactful on the floor, even if he's not a focal point of the offense. Rotates well on defense, gets a lot of verticality's on defense, can stay in front of his man.
-I don't think he's just a shooter either. Colorado ran him in quite a few DHO type scenarios, but he's got enough on-ball skill to keep the possession alive and create. Again, kind of like HB and Huerter, there's enough on-ball game where he won't just be a shooter at the NBA level.

Not the best athlete, bit on the skinnier side and while the wingspan is good "6'10", it's not overwhelming for a wing. His stat profile did stagnate too, this past year, which I don't love, although his role did change a bit where he wasn't as much a feature option. I think he understands his role on the floor though and he's just really worked to perfect it. He's a lights-out shooter with secondary self-creation and playmaking potential that's impactful as a versatile wing defender and KNOWS that's his role on a team. Seems like someone who could step in tomorrow and help a playoff team win games.

Will continue scouting through some of these guys, but if I had to rank the guys I've gotten through so far:

Carter
Knecht
Da Silva
Holmes
Bub

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Kings brought in Edey and Ware today, along with a slate of names that could be looking at #45.
Mogbo is an intriguing name at #45. He has an intriguing set of skills and tools, but I don't know if he's playable on the NBA level without any semblance of a shot.

I wouldn't be happy with Edey or Ware at #13, but I'd be okay-ish with either in a trade down scenario. Edey will very likely be a useful NBA player, albeit situationally. My understanding is that Ware has shot it really well in the pre-draft process, but his wavering effort in games REALLY concerns me.

I think the other three guys mentioned in that tweet likely go undrafted.

Mogbo is an intriguing name at #45. He has an intriguing set of skills and tools, but I don't know if he's playable on the NBA level without any semblance of a shot.

I wouldn't be happy with Edey or Ware at #13, but I'd be okay-ish with either in a trade down scenario. Edey will very likely be a useful NBA player, albeit situationally. My understanding is that Ware has shot it really well in the pre-draft process, but his wavering effort in games REALLY concerns me.

I think the other three guys mentioned in that tweet likely go undrafted.
Not a fan of Ware myself but he could do well in the league. Don't get the Brook Lopez comps, but he does look very much like Christian Wood.

Forget the 13th pick, only 1 guy we need in this draft. Ryan Dunn. 6'7" SF with a 7'1" wingspan. Dude is a diamond in the rough
I go back and forth on Dunn, daily. On one hand, I'm very confident he's a unicorn NBA defender that can defend the perimeter and protect the rim. His athleticism/lateral movement, hustle, timing with contests, playmaking, everything. It's all incredible and a damn near perfect defensive plug-in for what we want next to Domas.

But man, I think it's hard to see the path where he's like...even PJ Tucker or Danny Green offensively. And man, his defense is so good that if all I got was 35% from 3 on 3 3PA... I'd take it.

I'd certainly understand the idea if we took him at 13. Sure, it's a "reach", but his defense is probably the best overall skill in the entire draft. Would be tremendous trust in our development team to get his offense to passable, but that'd be a game-changing type swing we might need.

And the thing is, you can hide wings offensively a lot more than you can hide guards. He'd be the clear 5th option on the pecking order anyway, it'd literally just be trusting him to not throw up all over himself in his 5-7 shots a game.

I go back and forth on Dunn, daily. On one hand, I'm very confident he's a unicorn NBA defender that can defend the perimeter and protect the rim. His athleticism/lateral movement, hustle, timing with contests, playmaking, everything. It's all incredible and a damn near perfect defensive plug-in for what we want next to Domas.

But man, I think it's hard to see the path where he's like...even PJ Tucker or Danny Green offensively. And man, his defense is so good that if all I got was 35% from 3 on 3 3PA... I'd take it.

I'd certainly understand the idea if we took him at 13. Sure, it's a "reach", but his defense is probably the best overall skill in the entire draft. Would be tremendous trust in our development team to get his offense to passable, but that'd be a game-changing type swing we might need.

And the thing is, you can hide wings offensively a lot more than you can hide guards. He'd be the clear 5th option on the pecking order anyway, it'd literally just be trusting him to not throw up all over himself in his 5-7 shots a game.
I can't help but think of KZ Okpala and Kessler Edwards. Seemingly just hasn't worked with Brown, if they don't have enough offensive game

I can't help but think of KZ Okpala and Kessler Edwards. Seemingly just hasn't worked with Brown, if they don't have enough offensive game
I think Dunn's on another planet over those guys in terms of his defensive prowess/upside, but yeah, this is the exact right counter-argument to why Dunn would flail out. Doesn't matter if he's a generational defender, if he brings nothing on the offensive side of the floor, he won't be anything more than a niche stopper off the bench.

On the flip side though, everyone was very confident Herb Jones had no offensive game and couldn't shoot either. That's turned out especially well for NOP and they now get to reap the rewards of one of the best defensive players in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.