Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Huerter was just 15-3-3 on 61.7% TS 2 seasons ago. It might look different than how Monk does it, but you can't say Huerter isn't capable. He's already proven he can.
Huerter was just 15-3-3 on 61.7% TS 2 seasons ago. It might look different than how Monk does it, but you can't say Huerter isn't capable. He's already proven he can.
he started 60 games his last year with the hawks. He was not the primary focus off the bench. Monk average 15-5-3 coming off the bench. Is Kevin a legit scorer? Yes. Can he be the focal point of the offense? No, he cannot create for his teammates like monk.

he started 60 games his last year with the hawks. He was not the primary focus off the bench. Monk average 15-5-3 coming off the bench. Is Kevin a legit scorer? Yes. Can he be the focal point of the offense? No, he cannot create for his teammates like monk.
He was pretty securely a #3 option with us 2 seasons ago and our DHO set was one of our most used plays. I'd call that a focal point.

And no, he's not an ISO baller or lead playmaker, but he's absolutely capable of being a 12+ FGA guy in a higher USG role off the bench. Maybe you adjust things where Domas rotates out first so you get him lined up with Huerter in the 2nd unit while you extend Fox in the 1st quarter.

I'm also not saying he can replace Monk. We just don't have an option for that this off-season. Would be a devastating blow. I'm on record I think he's just as good as a Lavine/Beal.

But I do think you can find a way to maximize Huerters offense, especially if you move him to the bench unit. That was one huge mistake from Brown this year; instead of finding a way to keep him heavily involved, he had far too many games he just got left in the dust. Huerter is too good offensively to just be left on the he bench the whole 2nd half

He was pretty securely a #3 option with us 2 seasons ago and our DHO set was one of our most used plays. I'd call that a focal point.

And no, he's not an ISO baller or lead playmaker, but he's absolutely capable of being a 12+ FGA guy in a higher USG role off the bench. Maybe you adjust things where Domas rotates out first so you get him lined up with Huerter in the 2nd unit while you extend Fox in the 1st quarter.

I'm also not saying he can replace Monk. We just don't have an option for that this off-season. Would be a devastating blow. I'm on record I think he's just as good as a Lavine/Beal.

But I do think you can find a way to maximize Huerters offense, especially if you move him to the bench unit. That was one huge mistake from Brown this year; instead of finding a way to keep him heavily involved, he had far too many games he just got left in the dust. Huerter is too good offensively to just be left on the he bench the whole 2nd half
No doubt Huerter can win you games when he gets going, but his consistency is what has been his greatest enemy. It may be injury related, but who knows. I really can’t fault brown if kevin’s shot isn’t falling, especially over several games,he really doesn’t impact the game in other ways like say Keegan can.
Also, I think we disagree with what focal point means. To me it means the offense runs through a player. Not a DHO secondary option.

That's why I think drafting Bub makes sense. We keep Huerter as the 6th man scorer but he can't create by himself the way Monk did. Carrington has the tools to do for him though. We draft him, let him improve as the creator of our second unit and who knows what happens in the future. But I like him.

No doubt Huerter can win you games when he gets going, but his consistency is what has been his greatest enemy. It may be injury related, but who knows. I really can’t fault brown if kevin’s shot isn’t falling, especially over several games,he really doesn’t impact the game in other ways like say Keegan can.
Also, I think we disagree with what focal point means. To me it means the offense runs through a player. Not a DHO secondary option.
I think Huerter is a pretty interesting case of how to value off ball gravity and just what his presence was last season compared to 2 years ago. His USG fell about 3% last year, but a lot of games it felt like significantly more where he just wasn't apart of the game plan at all. So where I'm saying focal point with him, we made it a priority 2 years ago that he stayed involved in the offense and again, the DHO set was probably our most used play all year. And I haven't fact checked this, but I'd bet he was far and away the most used player in that set with Domas.

He did regress last year, no doubt. 2 years ago, he was an above average starter. Last year, he was closer to a replacement level good rotation player. I think the goal has to be, if we don't trade him, is how you work him in with the new defensive focus that Keon/Davion brought to end the year. That's what was really frustrating to me about how we closed the season; we didn't get to see a healthy Monk and Huerter play with the good versions of Davion and Keon. Their offense was sorely missed

Even if Huerter reverts back to his play a couple years ago, he still isn't as valuable to this team as Monk is. Monk is the only guy off the bench that can run the show. We saw how badly the bench stalled out when he was no longer out there running the pick and roll.

Like even if the advanced stats say Huerter is better than Monk, that just means that Huerter was better in the particular role he was playing. He doesn't have nearly as much responsibility as Monk does and if he did, he would surely be much worse than Monk.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's why I think drafting Bub makes sense. We keep Huerter as the 6th man scorer but he can't create by himself the way Monk did. Carrington has the tools to do for him though. We draft him, let him improve as the creator of our second unit and who knows what happens in the future. But I like him.
I'm 100% on board here. So many mock drafts seem to want to have the Kings take Dillingham or McCain as a "Monk replacement". While I've already said countless times that no rookie (especially in this class) will be able to effectively replace Malik next season, I think Bub is much closer than Dillingham or McCain because of his ability to create for himself and others. I also think he's a perfect 3rd guard with Fox and Ellis.

If Huerter is still on the team you give him minutes at the 2&3 off the bench and look to upgrade the starting PF spot and backup center.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Can somebody explain to me why the nba and player union doesn’t allow teams to match offers on players in monks situation? It just doesn’t make sense to me.
The only "match" situation is RFAs which are first contracts after being drafted.

Why we can't offer Monk anything is pretty simple, it would be far too easy for teams to skirt the salary cap by offering a one or two year contract with a handshake agreement. So they arrived at three years for the Bird exception. If you think about it, even three years isn't that long to suddenly ignore the salary cap.

It sucks in Monk's case where he was a reclamation project. It would be nice if there were avenues to reward such situations, but there's not, and again if there were they would certainly be exploited by the big market teams. Also if we could bid whatever on Monk today, the Lakers would have probably done so two years ago, the whole reason we got him is because they couldn't afford to make a second offer to him.

The only "match" situation is RFAs which are first contracts after being drafted.

Why we can't offer Monk anything is pretty simple, it would be far too easy for teams to skirt the salary cap by offering a one or two year contract with a handshake agreement. So they arrived at three years for the Bird exception. If you think about it, even three years isn't that long to suddenly ignore the salary cap.

It sucks in Monk's case where he was a reclamation project. It would be nice if there were avenues to reward such situations, but there's not, and again if there were they would certainly be exploited by the big market teams. Also if we could bid whatever on Monk today, the Lakers would have probably done so two years ago, the whole reason we got him is because they couldn't afford to make a second offer to him.
I just don’t see why Monk would stay. I get he likes it here and trust me it’s important to be in a place you like to work, but then again it’s 25 million more not 25k more lol.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I just don’t see why Monk would stay. I get he likes it here and trust me it’s important to be in a place you like to work, but then again it’s 25 million more not 25k more lol.
We can offer a deal starting at 17.2 and give him a Bird contract in 2 years. I figure he's worth about 20m per season and it would be a real shame if we can't retain him over the difference and some type of make up plan. If someone is going to pay 25 let them. We're already going to be in cap trouble in between cap aprons if we get near 20m and still have work to do on our roster.

There are several things for him to consider. First, someone has to offer him a contract that big ( there is no guarantee of that). Depending on the deal, he would consider the difference in the amount (likely in the $3-8 million range). Then there is the situation. Does he want to be the man of a team likely to be near the bottom of the league or a team that will likely be above .500? Many of the teams likely to offer a big contract will probably be bad teams (not all). We will have to wait and see.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are the teams (at least per spotrac.com) that are projected to have enough cap space to offer Monk a deal bigger than what the Kings can:

Pistons ($64.4M)
76ers ($55.5M)
Magic ($49.5M)
Jazz ($38.1 M)
Thunder ($35.2M)
Spurs ($21.3 M)

• Monk would be a nice fit next to Cade, but I just don't see him going to the Pistons. With or without Malik, they are likely to be bad again next season.
  • The 76ers likely wouldn't look to pair Monk and Maxey and will spend their capspace elsewhere.
  • The Magic are a real threat. They need shooting and improved guard play and are a playoff team with a pretty bright future.
  • I don't see Ainge making a big play to land Monk in Utah. Likewise I don't think Presti breaks the bank to pair SGA and Malik
  • The Spurs are an interesting team. They'll be good very soon with Wemby but (a) would Monk leave the Kings for an offer that is only slightly higher than what Sacramento can offer? and (b) would Pop make that type of push for Monk? He doesn't seem like a Pop player per se.
All of that to say, if the Magic decide Monk is their choice as a starting PG, I think he's gone. Otherwise, I think there's a decent chance he stays.

My hope is that the Magic sign Klay Thompson or Paul George to a huge deal. That would not only weaken a team in the West but also make it more likely he's a King next season. In an ideal world, the Sixers sign PG13, the Magic sign Klay, and the Kings re-sign Malik with a slightly easier path to the playoffs.

Last edited:
Here are the teams (at least per spotrac.com) that are projected to have enough cap space to offer Monk a deal bigger than what the Kings can:

Pistons ($64.4M)
76ers ($55.5M)
Magic ($49.5M)
Jazz ($38.1 M)
Thunder ($35.2M)
Spurs ($21.3 M)

• Monk would be a nice fit next to Cade, but I just don't see him going to the Pistons. With or without Malik, they are likely to be bad again next season.
  • The 76ers likely wouldn't look to pair Monk and Maxey and will spend their capspace elsewhere.
  • The Magic are a real threat. They need shooting and improved guard play and are a playoff team with a pretty bright future.
  • I don't see Ainge making a big play to land Monk in Utah. Likewise I don't think Presti breaks the bank to pair SGA and Malik
  • The Spurs are an interesting team. They'll be good very soon with Wemby but (a) would Monk leave the Kings for an offer that is only slightly higher than what Sacramento can offer? and (b) would Pop make that type of push for Monk? He doesn't seem like a Pop player per se.
All of that to say, I think if the Magic decide Monk is their choice as a starting PG, I think he's gone. Otherwise, I think there's a decent chance he stays.

My hope is that the Magic sign Klay Thompson or Paul George to a huge deal. That would not only weaken a team in the West but also make it more likely he's a King next season.
This is 100% accurate.

Pistons ($64.4M)
76ers ($55.5M)
Magic ($49.5M)
Jazz ($38.1 M)
Thunder ($35.2M)
Spurs ($21.3 M)

All of that to say, if the Magic decide Monk is their choice as a starting PG, I think he's gone. Otherwise, I think there's a decent chance he stays.

My hope is that the Magic sign Klay Thompson or Paul George to a huge deal. That would not only weaken a team in the West but also make it more likely he's a King next season. In an ideal world, the Sixers sign PG13, the Magic sign Klay, and the Kings re-sign Malik with a slightly easier path to the playoffs.
If you had to choose between monk, Klay, and George. Which way would you lean? I’d definetly take monk. I would actually be surprised they wouldn’t do the same, unless they want a one year rental of George.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you had to choose between monk, Klay, and George. Which way would you lean? I’d definetly take monk. I would actually be surprised they wouldn’t do the same, unless they want a one year rental of George.
Here's the thing about Malik Monk - the Kings want to re-sign him to be their sixth man, in a role and on a team where he's had the two best years of his career.

Any other team that wants to sign him for more than the Kings can offer presumably wants to make him a starter, either at point guard or as an undersized shooting guard. This isn't often mentioned when discussing Monk's free agency. Any team that signs him away from Sacramento is gambling that he'll be just as good or better in a starting role than he has been as a super sub. That's not nothing.

If the Magic know they need shooting and championship experience, they can sign Klay Thompson and know pretty much what they'll get. Similarly with Paul George. Paying Monk big money as a starter has some risk to it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It depends on if Magic wish to invest in the players they already have.

The appeal of Klay is he's a 2 year deal, helps mentor the guys they will have to be making decisions on over the next few years, and then they keep those guys in a cost-controlled fashion.

If they sign Monk, they'll have to let some of their homegrown talent go.

Gone are the days you can just recklessly sign your own talent with Bird rights because the new cap aprons severely take away your other team building options. No MLE, no taking on players on buyouts, minimum contracts only once you hit that second line. It is going to change the landscape of the league in ways we don't know yet.

Oh - another one I forgot - second apron teams have to take less $$$ in trades, no more ~10% rule.

Spurs are interesting team to chase Monk. If they can land a top guard like Garland for Johnson/picks, adding Monk behind Garland/Vassell would setup their guard rotation to be pretty elite going forward.

Kings would really take a step back without Monk; they’d have to replace him with a legit shot creator somewhere.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spurs are interesting team to chase Monk. If they can land a top guard like Garland for Johnson/picks, adding Monk behind Garland/Vassell would setup their guard rotation to be pretty elite going forward.

Kings would really take a step back without Monk; they’d have to replace him with a legit shot creator somewhere.
That's a bit of a hard sell for me if I'm the Spurs front office. You have $21 million in cap room and want to spend it all on a guy who won't start? Not to mention, that's not much of a raise from what the Kings can offer and he'd be in the same role as a 6th man. I wonder if Monk would want that.

Why would Monk do this? His main goal in signing elsewhere would be stepping into a starting role. Why would he sign elsewhere to continue to be a be a backup?

Why would Monk do this? His main goal in signing elsewhere would be stepping into a starting role. Why would he sign elsewhere to continue to be a be a backup?
Simply if he gets enough of a pay increase that it's worth it to him, as compared to any other offers he gets. This is his guaranteed chance to cash in, before any more injuries happen

I think for the Magic, George and Klay actually make a lot more sense because you can swing them down to the 3. We've gone over this quite a bit, but the Magic have a lot of draft capital tied into their guard slots.

-Suggs guaranteed starter, but Magic fans think he's basically locked in at the 2. Do they trust Monk to be a full-time lead guard?
-They have their own version of Monk in Cole Anthony. Do they give up on him?
-They have a pick 6 invested in Anthony Black and pick 11 invested in Jett Howard. Do they not trust these guys to develop? Signing Monk to a huge deal would block these guys pretty heavily.
-Fultz is a UFA this off-season. Is he someone they want to keep in their plans?

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
^^^ Plus it would likely be a 2 year commitment vs. 4. Big deal especially if things don't go perfect to plan. And after 2 years Banchero will be on the designated rookie max (assuming they haven't given it to someone else - they have to extend Franz next year and he will get the normal max on a 2nd deal I assume).

Or Bub at 13. Unfortunately it’s looking less likely that Carter will still be around.
Holmes or da Silva at 21 would be a score, start talking Monte with the Pels.
Got a chance to finally look at Bub. First impression is he's super fluid and moves at his own pace. He's not explosive at all attacking the rim, but he's able to pretty much create space at will to pull a jumper. His ability to create without overwhelming athleticism is super super intriguing. Guys with on ball ability that can control the pace of a play are generally vty successful.

I like the form on his jumper quite a bit, but don't love how inefficient he was shooting. I will give him a bit of a pass because he had to create A LOT off his own bounce. That's damn tough for an 18 year old in the ACC. If you adjust his attempts to way less on ball 3pa, I think there's a quality NBA shooter there.

He's more a combo guard than a primary initiator to me. While I like his feel and instincts, I don't think he's wired to be a playmaker like he is to look for his own shot and be a secondary creator. I'd rather he play the 2 than try and be a PG at the nba level.

Fun to dream what he could develop into 2 years down the line. There's a lot of high level NBA skills here, it's just a matter how he continues to develop them. 18 year Olds that are comfortable creating their own shot on ball and for others in the ACC don't grow on trees

Got a chance to finally look at Bub. First impression is he's super fluid and moves at his own pace. He's not explosive at all attacking the rim, but he's able to pretty much create space at will to pull a jumper. His ability to create without overwhelming athleticism is super super intriguing. Guys with on ball ability that can control the pace of a play are generally vty successful.

I like the form on his jumper quite a bit, but don't love how inefficient he was shooting. I will give him a bit of a pass because he had to create A LOT off his own bounce. That's damn tough for an 18 year old in the ACC. If you adjust his attempts to way less on ball 3pa, I think there's a quality NBA shooter there.

He's more a combo guard than a primary initiator to me. While I like his feel and instincts, I don't think he's wired to be a playmaker like he is to look for his own shot and be a secondary creator. I'd rather he play the 2 than try and be a PG at the nba level.

Fun to dream what he could develop into 2 years down the line. There's a lot of high level NBA skills here, it's just a matter how he continues to develop them. 18 year Olds that are comfortable creating their own shot on ball and for others in the ACC don't grow on trees
He’s also the archetype that could either help you if he develops or could be a desirable trade piece in a big swing trade. I would be pretty surprised if Monte takes him but I’d be willing to roll the dice on him.

Yeah that seems to be likely.

After gauging other fan bases on how much they value their SFs/PFs and after looking at our assets (removing Fox, Ellis, Murray, Sabonis, and future 1sts from consideration), I think the list of SFs/PFs we could trade for are:
  1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Bobby Portis
  3. Brandon Ingram
  4. Cameron Johnson
  5. De’Andre Hunter
  6. Dorian Finney-Smith
  7. Grant Williams
  8. Isaiah Stewart
  9. Jalen Smith
  10. Jerami Grant
  11. John Collins
  12. Jonathan Isaac
  13. Kyle Kuzma
  14. Naz Reid
  15. Taylor Hendricks
All of those guys have cons. All of them. So it comes down to who you/McNair would be willing to take a risk on. Some of those risks will cost more than others (e.g., Collins/Smith shouldn’t take assets to acquire while guys like Grant/Isaac would).

For me, I’d much rather target a PF and keep Murray at SF. He’s shown that he’s good at defending quicker wings and his extra size & length at SF will be much needed considering we have Sabonis at C. That leaves me with the following list:
  1. Bobby Portis
  2. Dorian Finney-Smith
  3. Isaiah Stewart
  4. Jalen Smith
  5. Jerami Grant
  6. John Collins
  7. Jonathan Isaac
  8. Kyle Kuzma
  9. Naz Reid
  10. Taylor Hendricks

In addition to being able to matchup and defend the larger PFs in the league, I think it’s also very important to be versatile enough to be able to defend SFs at a good level. For me, that leaves…
  1. Dorian Finney-Smith
  2. Jerami Grant
  3. Jonathan Isaac
  4. Kyle Kuzma
  5. Taylor Hendricks

Dorian Finney-Smith
I like me some DFS. Really good, long, versatile defender whose interior defense & rotations are underrated IMO. However, his shooting has taken a dip the last 2 seasons (.343 3P%) but that also might be a product of the team he’s on and not getting as good of looks as before. He’s also not going to give you much in terms of scoring so you’re really going to need to rely on Murray becoming that type of player (and also hope you bring Monk back). Lastly, he’ll be 31 at the start of next season and will be an expiring contract. Do we want to be in a position to risk losing him for nothing or signing him to a decent sized deal ending in his mid 30s?

Jerami Grant
In a way, Grant can provide almost everything we’re looking for. He’s a very long, athletic, versatile forward who has shown that he can be a plus defender and pretty good rim protector. He’s also a really good shooter and an efficient secondary scorer to give us another option when defenses clamp down. The cons are that you’re hoping that he can get back to being a plus defender since his offensive load will be less and that he’ll be 30 years old at the start of the season with 4 more years left being paid like a top end starter (not a star). He’s also not a good rebounder but Sabonis should help negate that a bit. You’re basically banking on him tapping back into the defensive ability he showed a few years ago but now that player is also a better shooter and secondary scorer today. Combine all of this attributes, and you got a hell of a fit next to Sabonis.

Jonathan Isaac
Isaac actually may be the best fit in the league next to Sabonis. He plays defense at a DPOY level and can easily anchor a defense. His versatility, length, IQ, rim protection, ability to defend without fouling, and ability to defend the perimeter are outstanding. The defensive fit doesn’t get much better than that. Offensively, he shot the 3 ball at a good rate on decent volume this year which should still keep defenses honest but unlike Finney-Smith, he does have more of an offensive arsenal and can help a bit more in the scoring department. He’s also a tremendous rebounder and I’m salivating at the idea of a team trying to keep both Sabonis and Isaac off the glass all game long. He’ll be 27 at the start of next season which puts him right on the same timeline as our core. The only cons is that he’ll be UFA after next season and that he’s a MAJOR injury risk.

Kyle Kuzma
He’s got the size, length, athleticism, versatility to be (theoretically) what we want at PF and he gives us another secondary scoring option to help when defenses clamp down. He’s a good rebounder and has a really good declining contract which will likely look better and better each year. My concerns are that he’s never been an efficient scorer at any point in his career, he seems like a “me” guy and would be more prone to chucking vs. playing within the flow of the team, he doesn’t strike me as a good defender, and he’s not that good of a floor spacer. Kuzma’s one of my least favorite options. I think he has too many question marks on his fit to take that risk.

Taylor Hendricks
Theoretically, he’s a tremendous fit next to Sabonis. He’s got great size, length, and athleticism. He projects as a good defender, shot blocker, rebounder, and shooter (and will only be 20 at the start of next year). The downside is that he is still mostly potential at this point and he may not help us win right away.

In regards to who Is take that gamble on, I think at this point I lean towards Jonathan Isaac or Jerami Grant. Both are risks for different reasons, but their risks seem the smallest when assessing the type of player we want to put between Murray and Sabonis.

To land one of these two guys, we’re probably looking at the following trades (or something close to it):
  1. Grant, #34, & #40 for Huerter, Vezenkov, Duarte, & #13
  2. Isaac & #47 for Huerter & #13

That seems like a steep price for Isaac, but I think it’s going to take a steep price for ORL to surrender Isaac’s massive potential (even with the injury concerns). This seems to be how the large majority of the ORL fanbase feels so take that for what it’s worth.

SIDE NOTE: I didn’t include Eason or Avdija in this list because their fan bases seem to have them valued more than what we can offer (if I’m taking Fox, Ellis, Murray, Sabonis, and future 1sts off the table). Also, Markkanen is excluded for similar reasons but he comes with his own defensive question marks and isn’t technically a perfect fit. Bridges was left off as well for similar reasons but I don’t think BKN would trade him for picks and rebuild since they don’t own some of their own 1sts. I think they would only let him go if someone like Murray was included.
The other good thing about the following trade I mentioned in my post (on top of getting an immediate upgrade at PF)…

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

For

Jerami Grant

…is that it gives us 3 swings (#34, #40, & #45) on players that may fall. Guys like…
  1. Ulrich Chomche
  2. Bobi Klintman
  3. Terrence Shannon Jr.
  4. Daron Holmes
  5. Ryan Dunn
  6. Jaylon Tyson
  7. Jalen Bridges
  8. Dillon Jones
  9. Kevin McCullar
  10. Bub Carrington
  11. Tyler Smith
  12. Kyshawn George

I’d be pretty happy coming away from this draft with 2-3 of those guys.

The other good thing about the following trade I mentioned in my post (on top of getting an immediate upgrade at PF)…

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

For

Jerami Grant

…is that it gives us 3 swings (#34, #40, & #45) on players that may fall. Guys like…
  1. Ulrich Chomche
  2. Bobi Klintman
  3. Terrence Shannon Jr.
  4. Daron Holmes
  5. Ryan Dunn
  6. Jaylon Tyson
  7. Jalen Bridges
  8. Dillon Jones
  9. Kevin McCullar
  10. Bub Carrington
  11. Tyler Smith
  12. Kyshawn George

I’d be pretty happy coming away from this draft with 2-3 of those guys.
I think they can get better for Grant. I don’t see this package being enough for a youngish, impactful starter. Basically you are offering Huerter and#13 in a weak draft for Grant.