Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Yeah, I just don't think Kuzma is good. Maybe he's an upgrade on HB, but I'm not confident on that. And I don't think Grant is good either. I get it, they've been on bad teams, but if you're a winning/impact player, shouldn't that at least show up SOMEWHERE positively in either individual stats/team stats/wins? That's where the non-starter is for me with those 2 and LaVine. You're paying a massive salary to guys I don't think impact winning anymore. So what's really the gamble there?

I'm very confident Isaac is good and impactful to winning. Not at all confident in his health and then if he does work out how we want, we're competing again in the UFA in 2025. At least we'll have his full bird rights though.
Kuzma is iffy for sure but wasn't the same thing said about Fox for years? Monte has to look at skill needs and the biggest ones are whatever helps the team become less reliant on their system and physicality. Isaac probably helps the latter but not so much the former. Just saying but if LaVine is actually cheap enough trade asset wise getting both he and Isaac to compelete a very balanced roster is plausible.

He just got done playing 58 games in a 15 MPG role and all 7 Magic playoff games in a 21 MPG role. That's the gamble here; again, if we knew he could play 28+ MPG, he'd be a 150 mil player with how good he is defensively. Even in his limited role, he basically WAS the reason the Magic were one of the better defensive teams last season. Just absolutely absurd impact. Also might be the only true 1-5 versatile defender in basketball.

There just isn't a better fit to cover for what Domas can't do on the defensive end. A full season of Keon and him being able to stay healthy in a 25ish MPG role, I'd easily bet on us being a top 8 defense next year. I think he's that good and that impactful.
Issac would be an ideal fit, but he hasn’t played more than 16/minutes per game since the 2019-20 season and has only played more than 60 games in a season once in his career. We don’t even know if his body can hold up to 20/min per game, let alone starter minutes of 30+ per game.

IMHO, I’m not gambling a big bag in a trade in hopes he all of the sudden can stay healthy. Maybe a Huerter or HB swap for Issac, but I’m not going to include #13.

Issac would be an ideal fit, but he hasn’t played more than 16/minutes per game since the 2019-20 season and has only played more than 60 games in a season once in his career. We don’t even know if his body can hold up to 20/min per game, let alone starter minutes of 30+ per game.

IMHO, I’m not gambling a big bag in a trade in hopes he all of the sudden can stay healthy. Maybe a Huerter or HB swap for Issac, but I’m not going to include #13.
Sounds like you're just not up for much of a gamble at all. If he had all the things you want, he wouldn't be available, or would require Murray in trade.

The big swing that this team likely needs soon, is going to require an unsafe gamble that could potentially fall apart.

Sounds like you're just not up for much of a gamble at all. If he had all the things you want, he wouldn't be available, or would require Murray in trade.

The big swing that this team likely needs soon, is going to require an unsafe gamble that could potentially fall apart.
Yes, but if a player is chronically injured, he’s not going to help the team win. I’d rather trade for someone like Grant Williams or Patrick Williams to help fill the defensive front court spot next to Domas.

Last edited:
Yes, but if a player is chronically injured, he’s not going to help the team win. I’d rather trade for someone like Grant Williams to help fill the defensive front court spot next to Domas.
Sure, but he just showed last year he can somewhat stay on the floor.

If Isaac were able to play 2000+ minutes, he would not be even remotely available to acquire in a trade. Not even sure if he is now. But the upside case for Isaac exactly fills what we want next to Domas. Like to a T

Sure, but he just showed last year he can somewhat stay on the floor.

If Isaac were able to play 2000+ minutes, he would not be even remotely available to acquire in a trade. Not even sure if he is now. But the upside case for Isaac exactly fills what we want next to Domas. Like to a T
I remember last summer there was debate in Orlando if they were going to exercise the Out clause on Issac’s contract due to injuries. So I think he would be attainable.

Like I said, I would swap a solid starter like Huerter or HB and a 2nd round pick for him, but I’m not giving up a huge haul (adding #13 or Davion) to get him, especially him being a UFA next summer.

Last edited:
I would not keep posting here if I did not respect the opinions of the other posters. And I like reading different opinions.

I like Kuzma because the Kings could not guard players like Kuzma last year. I would much rather have Kuzma guarding Banchero, Tatum, Grant, BI, Larry Nance Jr, KD, and PJ Washington than Barnes. But I’d like Barnes as a backup to Keegan and Kuzma.

I also think Kuzma is a good secondary playmaker. And I don’t think he will cost that much to obtain and his contract is easy to place another piece around.

A player like Isaac - that is more dependable - would be an even better fit. But if you have the real Isaac, you need to have a good back up (like Boston has Horford to back up Porzingis). So if it was something like Isaac and DFS - I’d take that over Kuzma. But then you are paying 2 guys and paying for 2 trades.

Huerter for Jalen Smith is something that would be down with as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would not keep posting here if I did not respect the opinions of the other posters. And I like reading different opinions.

I like Kuzma because the Kings could not guard players like Kuzma last year. I would much rather have Kuzma guarding Banchero, Tatum, Grant, BI, Larry Nance Jr, KD, and PJ Washington than Barnes. But I’d like Barnes as a backup to Keegan and Kuzma.

I also think Kuzma is a good secondary playmaker. And I don’t think he will cost that much to obtain and his contract is easy to place another piece around.

A player like Isaac - that is more dependable - would be an even better fit. But if you have the real Isaac, you need to have a good back up (like Boston has Horford to back up Porzingis). So if it was something like Isaac and DFS - I’d take that over Kuzma. But then you are paying 2 guys and paying for 2 trades.

Jalen Smith was like the 13th man on the Pacers roster post-deadline. There is no reason we should be moving a proven NBA starter in Huerter for him unless the Pacers are giving up more.

Jalen Smith has a player option for only 5 M. I don't see him staying in Indiana with Turner, Jackson, Siakam, Toppin and now possibly Jarace Walker ahead of him. He can earn more money testing the FA market and even if he he can't get more money he should invest in himself and try to earn a important rol in another team so he can be paid next season.

just reading a Bleacher Report proposed trade. that I assume works and shouldn’t spark much debate about quality of player, injury history, or team fit.
Kings send Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, and a 2027 top ten protected pick for DFS.
I like the idea of keeping this years 13th. With our improved forward positions we can go a variety of directions in the draft. Another guard especially if Monk bolts or someone like da Silva to bring along slowly.
Not sure what Brooklyn plans are, but works for me.

just reading a Bleacher Report proposed trade. that I assume works and shouldn’t spark much debate about quality of player, injury history, or team fit.
Kings send Davion Mitchell, Chris Duarte, and a 2027 top ten protected pick for DFS.
I like the idea of keeping this years 13th. With our improved forward positions we can go a variety of directions in the draft. Another guard especially if Monk bolts or someone like da Silva to bring along slowly.
Not sure what Brooklyn plans are, but works for me.
I would do that in a second for 2021-2022 DFS. It seems rich for the current version. But I’m not hanging up the phone if Brooklyn calls asking for that trade.

I would do that in a second for 2021-2022 DFS. It seems rich for the current version. But I’m not hanging up the phone if Brooklyn calls asking for that trade.
I'm hanging up. He's 31 and coming off two straight down years where he's been below average. He's in the scrap heap, take a flyer on category these days. Not the send a FRP + other assets category.

Fair enough. The protected FRP would convert to seconds the next year in this scenario but DFS is over thirty and one year left on his current contract.
I was a bit intrigued and the proposal didn’t include Kuzma or LaVine, two frequently mentioned players that many have problems with.

If the Kings move any future picks it can't be for a role player at this point. Too risky. Monte is much better off blowing his cap out with a LaVine NOW than that. The reality is the Kings flexibility windows without significant trades were last offseason and 2025. After that? Just like almost any other playoff/contender team, YOU WILL HAVE A BLOATED CAP unless you just let key pieces walk. Trying to escape that is almost a guarantee you're a mediocre team or will have a very brief ascension. Look at the two teams in the finals this year. Boston and the Mavs are both either luxury tax teams or with the Celtics a big time apron team. This offseason either Monte needs to make a big move or cut cap and look at FA in 2025 before his cap explodes anyway just keeping Fox and Murray on the team. Minnesota is in that position now. They either save $$$ and fall off, make a huge trade themselves (which probably doesn't actually save money), or keep course. Their prove it year was last year, they proved it, now they pay. If they traded for Gobert not thinking about the eventual reality then they are simply incompetent.

I just worry about the cost of 13+Huerter on an expiring Isaac headed to UFA after next season. But maybe that's the gamble worth making because if it DOES work, he's actually the best 4 you can put next to Domas in the entire NBA (maybe JJJ?).

I will say, I'd gladly do this than any deal for Kuzma/Grant. At least I know if Isaac works out, he's actually going to be worth the 150 mil currently owed to Grant and will make us one of the best defenses in the NBA. I don't have to worry about the fit, the impact, anything. It's only a matter if his body can hold up to starter minutes.
Yeah, I'm way, WAY more interested in trading for Isaac than Kuzma or especially Grant.

Sam Vecenie (and Bryce Simon) recently did their Kings off-season preview as part of the Game Theory podcast and they had Monk leaving in free agency and the Kings trading Barnes, Huerter, Lyles, Vezenkov, Duarte, Davion, #13 and Portland's 2nd rounder in 2025 to get back LaVine, Kuzma and a lottery protected Trailblazers pick.

That would be an incredibly depressing offseason IMO. But sadly, I could see it happening.

My hope would be to trade for Isaac, see if you could pry Robert Williams and Thybulle out of Portland for ending contracts, ideally hold on to #13 and re-sign Malik.

Maybe Huerter, Sasha and a protected future first to Orlando for Isaac and then Lyles, Duarte, and Vezenkov to Portland for Thybulle and WIlliams. I'd prefer to send out Barnes & Duarte, but I think Portland likely prefers ending contracts. Maybe you also send them back their 2nd rounder for 2025.

C Sabonis/Williams
PF Isaac/Barnes
SF Murray/Thybulle
SG Ellis/Jones
PG Fox/Monk

Grab a potential piece at #13 and ideally a rotational player at #45 (I'd definitely look to trade up higher in the 2nd this year), fill in the holes with budget signings and that's a pretty solid roster.

I’m getting overwhelmingly “nos” from the ORL fanbases on a Huerter/#13/2025 POR 2nd for Isaac/#18 trade and it still seems like the vast majority of ORL fans wouldn’t even do a Huerter/#13 for Isaac trade.

I’m becoming more and more pessimistic that Isaac is actually a realistic option for us coming out of these conversations. Nobody wants to be the team that trades away a ~$40 mil per season player (if healthy). He’s a really difficult player to trade for because his impact on the floor is elite but he’s a major injury risk at the same time.

If Huerter/#13 isn’t enough to get a “yes” from ORL, we may have to look at other options which has me defaulting back to Grant again (referencing my long post a page or two ago). Or we go the “potential” route and pull off a trade like…

John Collins
Taylor Hendricks

for

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

Collins gives us a different look at PF who might work out well next to Sabonis considering his size, athleticism, rim protection, shooting, and being a lob threat but we also get Hendricks who projects as essentially an ideal fit next to Sabonis long term.

I’d love to maybe figure out a way to snag #29 or #32 from them and take Chomche. Hendricks and Chomche would be a great set of young PFs to develop as our ideal PF of the future.

Last edited:
I’m getting overwhelmingly “nos” from the ORL fanbases on a Huerter/#13/2025 POR 2nd for Isaac/#18 trade and it still seems like the vast majority of ORL fans wouldn’t even do a Huerter/#13 for Isaac trade.

I’m becoming more and more pessimistic that Isaac is actually a realistic option for us coming out of these conversations. Nobody wants to be the team that trades away a ~$40 mil per season player (if healthy). He’s a really difficult player to trade for because his impact on the floor is elite but he’s a major injury risk at the same time.

If Huerter/#13 isn’t enough to get a “yes” from ORL, we may have to look at other options which has me defaulting back to Grant again (referencing my long post a page or two ago). Or we go the “potential” route and pull off a trade like…

John Collins
Taylor Hendricks

for

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

Collins gives us a different look at PF who might work out well next to Sabonis considering his size, athleticism, rim protection, shooting, and being a lob threat but we also get Hendricks who projects as essentially an ideal fit next to Sabonis long term.

I’d love to maybe figure out a way to snag #29 or #32 from them and take Chomche. Hendricks and Chomche would be a great set of young PFs to develop as our ideal PF of the future.
I think that pack don't give us both Collins and Hendricks, maybe Collins alone? And I don't think that they value higher our #13 in a worse draft than the #9 of 2023.

But I insist with Clowney and the Nets. We can try to get DFS and Clowney for that package. He was #21 last year, not a top10 like Hendricks, they receive a lottery pick in a draft with no picks for them and he is also a good potential partner for Sabonis who could sustitute directly DFS when his deal end in 2 years.

I rather include in that case HB and not Huerter.

I think that pack don't give us both Collins and Hendricks, maybe Collins alone? And I don't think that they value higher our #13 in a worse draft than the #9 of 2023.

But I insist with Clowney and the Nets. We can try to get DFS and Clowney for that package. He was #21 last year, not a top10 like Hendricks, they receive a lottery pick in a draft with no picks for them and he is also a good potential partner for Sabonis who could sustitute directly DFS when his deal end in 2 years.

I rather include in that case HB and not Huerter.
Oh Collins has negative value. No way he’s returning #13 by himself. Also, Hendricks didn’t exactly take the league by storm last year and now has 1 less year on his rookie deal. I don’t think he maintained his pick value considering the season he had.

As for Clowney, he’s really not the floor spacer we need next to Sabonis, and his .364 3P% this season is not impressive to me considering it’s on 33 3PA. If he missed one more 3, he would have had a .333 3P%. If he missed two more 3s, he would have had a .303 3P%. The sample size is really small and his much larger college sample sizes suggest his shooting potential is limited.

Oh Collins has negative value. No way he’s returning #13 by himself. Also, Hendricks didn’t exactly take the league by storm last year and now has 1 less year on his rookie deal. I don’t think he maintained his pick value considering the season he had.

As for Clowney, he’s really not the floor spacer we need next to Sabonis, and his .364 3P% this season is not impressive to me considering it’s on 33 3PA. If he missed one more 3, he would have had a .333 3P%. If he missed two more 3s, he would have had a .303 3P%. The sample size is really small and his much larger college sample sizes suggest his shooting potential is limited.
What’s in it for the Jazz. Dont say getting rid of Collins contract because the pieces we have all have more years.

What’s in it for the Jazz. Dont say getting rid of Collins contract because the pieces we have all have more years.
Collins has 2 years left on his deal (no way he doesn’t pick up that option). Huerter has 2 years left on his deal as well but Vezenkov and Duarte can all act as expirings (thus freeing up money the following season). However, the real prize is the lottery pick while still having a strong frontcourt of Markkanen/Kessler.

Even when offering Huerter & #13 for Isaac, many ORL fans still wouldn’t bite: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2385364
Question here. What teams actually have any interest in Huerter. I've read reports that Chicago might but thats to unload LaVine. Washington might as a possible piece to a Kuzma trade and Huerter is s a Maryland guy.

Anyways, curious what value he has to other teams because we keep throwing his name out to improve our team, and it’s beginning to feel like a pointless exercise.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Question here. What teams actually have any interest in Huerter. I've read reports that Chicago might but thats to unload LaVine. Washington might as a possible piece to a Kuzma trade and Huerter is s a Maryland guy.

Anyways, curious what value he has to other teams because we keep throwing his name out to improve our team, and it’s beginning to feel like a pointless exercise.
If anything I think most of the trade proposals coming from Kings fans are under-selling Huerter's value league-wide. He's 25 years old and a career 38% shooter from three point range. He also posted a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio this past season, rebounds well for a guard, and is improving as a defender. And with his above-average size for a SG, he's also a natural fit for spot minutes at the SF position as a shooting specialist. He's not a flashy name to form a "super team on paper" but smart GM's should appreciate what he brings to a roster.

I've come around to where I think he would be an asset for us coming off the bench if we keep him. That's likely going to depend on what happens in the draft and with Malik Monk's free agency. Ellis should be the starter and if we bring Monk back that doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Huerter at the SG position. If we don't draft a guard and Davion Mitchell gets traded though, I could see Monk/Huerter working well as a bench duo.

If anything I think most of the trade proposals coming from Kings fans are under-selling Huerter's value league-wide. He's 25 years old and a career 38% shooter from three point range. He also posted a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio this past season, rebounds well for a guard, and is improving as a defender. And with his above-average size for a SG, he's also a natural fit for spot minutes at the SF position as a shooting specialist. He's not a flashy name to form a "super team on paper" but smart GM's should appreciate what he brings to a roster.

I've come around to where I think he would be an asset for us coming off the bench if we keep him. That's likely going to depend on what happens in the draft and with Malik Monk's free agency. Ellis should be the starter and if we bring Monk back that doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Huerter at the SG position. If we don't draft a guard and Davion Mitchell gets traded though, I could see Monk/Huerter working well as a bench duo.
Thanks. I also like the idea of them as a bench duo but management would likely find that pricey.

Even if we draft another guard Ellis, for now, is my preference for starting with Fox. Monk is great off the bench but not sure if thats how he sees his future. Huerter might just be more productive as a bench player. So going off your evaluation, probably best not sell him short.

Thanks. I also like the idea of them as a bench duo but management would likely find that pricey.

Even if we draft another guard Ellis, for now, is my preference for starting with Fox. Monk is great off the bench but not sure if thats how he sees his future. Huerter might just be more productive as a bench player. So going off your evaluation, probably best not sell him short.
Ellis is a diamond in the rough. Great play and great contract. The Kings have to start him. It really couldn’t have worked out any better for us.

Yep.

I've been on this train all year too. He was pretty easily our 3rd best player 2 years ago and while he did regress last year, his role drastically shifted too, with the rise of Keegan and Monk's role. And no one expected Keon to be a rising defensive star either.

I think Brown missed a big opportunity not playing Huerter and Monk together more. Monk's drive and kick is a natural fit with Huerters off ball movement and spacing. I love the idea of him in a bigger USG role off the bench where he's a focal point of the 2nd unit. Him being the 5th option with the starters just doesn't make a ton of sense. While he was vastly improved as a defender and rebounder, his main source of on court impact is his shooting, scoring and secondary playmaking.

And ESPECIALLY if Monk walks, Huerter becomes significantly more important to us again. I don't trust Davion, Colby, Keon to be anywhere close to handle a 20% USG.

Yep.

I've been on this train all year too. He was pretty easily our 3rd best player 2 years ago and while he did regress last year, his role drastically shifted too, with the rise of Keegan and Monk's role. And no one expected Keon to be a rising defensive star either.

I think Brown missed a big opportunity not playing Huerter and Monk together more. Monk's drive and kick is a natural fit with Huerters off ball movement and spacing. I love the idea of him in a bigger USG role off the bench where he's a focal point of the 2nd unit. Him being the 5th option with the starters just doesn't make a ton of sense. While he was vastly improved as a defender and rebounder, his main source of on court impact is his shooting, scoring and secondary playmaking.

And ESPECIALLY if Monk walks, Huerter becomes significantly more important to us again. I don't trust Davion, Colby, Keon to be anywhere close to handle a 20% USG.
If monk leaves, I honestly don’t see a way of this team being better next year. We would be left empty handed while our third best player and the guy that can take over when fox and Sabonis are on the bench. It’s not like we have the assets to replace him and get a third star to play in the starting lineup. IMO that is asking way too much of Huerter or the other current bench players.

If monk leaves, I honestly don’t see a way of this team being better next year. We would be left empty handed while our third best player and the guy that can take over when fox and Sabonis are on the bench. It’s not like we have the assets to replace him and get a third star to play in the starting lineup. IMO that is asking way too much of Huerter or the other current bench players.
Huerter was just 15-3-3 on 61.7% TS 2 seasons ago. It might look different than how Monk does it, but you can't say Huerter isn't capable. He's already proven he can.