Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Man, Kuzma would really be the pits. Not only would it cost 13, but we'd be trading better players currently on our team to get him.

Deni Avdija on the other hand? I'm sending 13 and whatever else they want outside our top 4.
I still don't get the Kuzma infatuation. He's had essentially one season as a role player on the Lakers where he contributed to winning basketball. I keep hearing that the advanced metrics love him, but most advanced stats I've seen paint the same picture as what I get watching him. Okay scorer, pretty decent rebounder, okay defensively when he wants to be (which isn't all that often), 33% shooter on higher volume than you'd like, and overall a guy who looks content to put up numbers on a bad team.
The recent Kuzma trades have only gotten worse from my angle.

Like HB & Kevin meant we were replacing two starters (likely Kev will be coming off the bench if he is back next year) but now we're sending out Lyles and our pick and DM who I think may actually have value in a trade OR have a key role if Monk is not back and he winds up pairing with Huerter in a second unit.

I don't think Kuzma is a winning player who should cost real assets. Not saying Washington should pay us to take them off their hands either, but expiring contracts and bench players is all I'm willing to give up, and I guess HB just because he'd be a 1:1 replacement.

The recent Kuzma trades have only gotten worse from my angle.

Like HB & Kevin meant we were replacing two starters (likely Kev will be coming off the bench if he is back next year) but now we're sending out Lyles and our pick and DM who I think may actually have value in a trade OR have a key role if Monk is not back and he winds up pairing with Huerter in a second unit.

I don't think Kuzma is a winning player who should cost real assets. Not saying Washington should pay us to take them off their hands either, but expiring contracts and bench players is all I'm willing to give up, and I guess HB just because he'd be a 1:1 replacement.
If it was HB+matching contract....I still don't like it, but ok, fine. That's a cost you can gamble where you might be able to fix Kuzma. His contract isn't great, but it's descending and it's not the same egregious money that's owed to Grant.

But hell no to Huerter, Davion, 13, Colby, being included in any iteration. That's a horrid deal.

Not sure why the Warriors would release Looney to get out from the luxury tax. That either means they are keeping Paul or giving Klay a reward for time served pay day. I'm not sure how much Paul is guaranteed but it sounds like if they just cut him and they don't way overpay Klay they'd be fine.

loved* him might be the operative word. I do remember that after his Lakers season as the 6th man, he was popping on a lot of the impact metrics and was a huge contributor to why they won that year. But again, we keep trying to wish-cast guys like him and Grant on who they were 4-5 years ago now.

Nuggets Grant would be perfect for this team at the 4. I don't think he's anywhere close to that guy anymore and we'd have to pay him 30+mil to gamble if he could find that form again. Same with Kuz.
Grant hasn't played on a good balanced roster since he left Denver. I think that has a lot to do with it and wouldn't be surprised at all, if he could still do the things he did then. No major injury concerns and doesn't feel like he's about to let go of or leave his prime.

He's a better playoff piece than Kuzma, with a good roster fit and team that is serious about becoming a contender

Laker Malik wasn't even Kings Malik, or else we'd never have been able to sign him. I imagine if Monte knew how good Monk would be he'd have paid an extra million or two and put a third year on that contract to get Bird rights and everyone would be happy.
I still think not signing a third year as an option was an oversight by Monte as Laker's version of Monk was darn good. His fearless shot making at big moments was evident. His playmaking really flourished in our system though.

He has no leverage but it might nuke a trade if he said he wouldn't report.

It kind of also depends what a team would hope to maybe get out of Sasha. There was some hope that even if he didn't pan out for the Kings that he now had increased value just by converting draft rights to an actual contract. While he seems to have crushed that, there is potentially salary value that is a trade asset, especially if a team is content to waive him or meet a salary/roster minimum, or thinks that they could get something back if the player quits on his own active contract. I'm still honestly totally unsure of what the salary cap impact of Sasha flat out quitting and not being paid would be. I honestly think the NBAPA would never allow this because it is against everything they stand for.
One thing to note is that Sasha's contract is effectively an expiring contract as the third year is a team option. Teams do love that.

Grant hasn't played on a good balanced roster since he left Denver. I think that has a lot to do with it and wouldn't be surprised at all, if he could still do the things he did then. No major injury concerns and doesn't feel like he's about to let go of or leave his prime.

He's a better playoff piece than Kuzma, with a good roster fit and team that is serious about becoming a contender
Again, wish-casting. He left Denver because he didn't want to play that same role anymore. That was 4 years ago now. He's been an overpriced chucker on offense since and his defense isn't nearly the same either.

I'm not trying to gamble with a giant contract that a guy COULD be something he was 4 years ago. No thanks.

What about Jalen Smith if we don't select Daron Holmes? He has a 5M player option with the Pacers. But Carlisle didn't count with him in the playoffs because he preferred Isaiah Jackson. They also have Obi Toppin as a RFA and Siakam as FA and is probable that they can't afford the 3 extensions. He can play the PF and backup C positions if needed, had a great 3p shooting season this last year and is a good weak side defender and shot blocker. And he has the same age of Keegan. Maybe with a Lyles esque contract he might be interested in coming here and fighting for the weakest starting position on the team. And we still would have some money left of the MLE to sign another bench player like Lonnie Walker IV or Jordan Nwora.

My take might just be go all-in our young guys. Davion/Keon/Colby and let them step up into that role. Or if we end up with a guard like Carter in the draft, just full commit to the stud defender types around Fox. Spend your resources upgrading the HB slot and bet on big internal growth from where most of our developmental prospects are.

Trying to strike gold twice with a Monk archetype seems a bit sketchy to me. Very few have been able to claw their way out of the "chucker" bias like he has over the last 3 years. And I think Huerter might be a guy you can tap to fill that role, if he's not dealt elsewhere. He's just flat out better in all facets than Bones.
Well it depends on what Hyland would cost.

He’s coming off a down year where his role was reduced and he’s entering the last year of his rookie deal. I can’t imagine the price would be very high (which would still allow us to address the 4 spot).

For instance, perhaps they’d be interested in a Vezenkov for Hyland swap. They don’t have a lot of SF/PF depth but have guys like Harden, Westbrook, Mann, Powell, and Coffey at guard. Vezenkov’s size & shooting could be very attractive to put next to their star talent.

Hyland is more of a buy low candidate that could turn into gold, but if he doesn’t, it’s not like we gave up much to get him.

Again, wish-casting. He left Denver because he didn't want to play that same role anymore. That was 4 years ago now. He's been an overpriced chucker on offense since and his defense isn't nearly the same either.

I'm not trying to gamble with a giant contract that a guy COULD be something he was 4 years ago. No thanks.
To me it looks like McNair is going to have to gamble big, to get the piece that this team needs to become a contender. The question is who is available now or really soon, for a possible gamble. The list seems rather small

What about Jalen Smith if we don't select Daron Holmes? He has a 5M player option with the Pacers. But Carlisle didn't count with him in the playoffs because he preferred Isaiah Jackson. They also have Obi Toppin as a RFA and Siakam as FA and is probable that they can't afford the 3 extensions. He can play the PF and backup C positions if needed, had a great 3p shooting season this last year and is a good weak side defender and shot blocker. And he has the same age of Keegan. Maybe with a Lyles esque contract he might be interested in coming here and fighting for the weakest starting position on the team. And we still would have some money left of the MLE to sign another bench player like Lonnie Walker IV or Jordan Nwora.
big Jalen Smith fan. I think you're right where he's just not in their future plans and as a UFA, they'll likely prioritize keeping Obi over him because of his RFA rights. He was awesome this year and has pretty much proven with his time with the Pacers that he's a legit spacer.

I haven't gone through all the 2024 Free agent class yet, but he's been on my radar for years. Absolutely someone worth putting a MLE towards.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
To me it looks like McNair is going to have to gamble big, to get the piece that this team needs to become a contender. The question is who is available now or really soon, for a possible gamble. The list seems rather small
Yeah that seems to be likely.

After gauging other fan bases on how much they value their SFs/PFs and after looking at our assets (removing Fox, Ellis, Murray, Sabonis, and future 1sts from consideration), I think the list of SFs/PFs we could trade for are:
  1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Bobby Portis
  3. Brandon Ingram
  4. Cameron Johnson
  5. De’Andre Hunter
  6. Dorian Finney-Smith
  7. Grant Williams
  8. Isaiah Stewart
  9. Jalen Smith
  10. Jerami Grant
  11. John Collins
  12. Jonathan Isaac
  13. Kyle Kuzma
  14. Naz Reid
  15. Taylor Hendricks
All of those guys have cons. All of them. So it comes down to who you/McNair would be willing to take a risk on. Some of those risks will cost more than others (e.g., Collins/Smith shouldn’t take assets to acquire while guys like Grant/Isaac would).

For me, I’d much rather target a PF and keep Murray at SF. He’s shown that he’s good at defending quicker wings and his extra size & length at SF will be much needed considering we have Sabonis at C. That leaves me with the following list:
  1. Bobby Portis
  2. Dorian Finney-Smith
  3. Isaiah Stewart
  4. Jalen Smith
  5. Jerami Grant
  6. John Collins
  7. Jonathan Isaac
  8. Kyle Kuzma
  9. Naz Reid
  10. Taylor Hendricks

In addition to being able to matchup and defend the larger PFs in the league, I think it’s also very important to be versatile enough to be able to defend SFs at a good level. For me, that leaves…
  1. Dorian Finney-Smith
  2. Jerami Grant
  3. Jonathan Isaac
  4. Kyle Kuzma
  5. Taylor Hendricks

Dorian Finney-Smith
I like me some DFS. Really good, long, versatile defender whose interior defense & rotations are underrated IMO. However, his shooting has taken a dip the last 2 seasons (.343 3P%) but that also might be a product of the team he’s on and not getting as good of looks as before. He’s also not going to give you much in terms of scoring so you’re really going to need to rely on Murray becoming that type of player (and also hope you bring Monk back). Lastly, he’ll be 31 at the start of next season and will be an expiring contract. Do we want to be in a position to risk losing him for nothing or signing him to a decent sized deal ending in his mid 30s?

Jerami Grant
In a way, Grant can provide almost everything we’re looking for. He’s a very long, athletic, versatile forward who has shown that he can be a plus defender and pretty good rim protector. He’s also a really good shooter and an efficient secondary scorer to give us another option when defenses clamp down. The cons are that you’re hoping that he can get back to being a plus defender since his offensive load will be less and that he’ll be 30 years old at the start of the season with 4 more years left being paid like a top end starter (not a star). He’s also not a good rebounder but Sabonis should help negate that a bit. You’re basically banking on him tapping back into the defensive ability he showed a few years ago but now that player is also a better shooter and secondary scorer today. Combine all of this attributes, and you got a hell of a fit next to Sabonis.

Jonathan Isaac
Isaac actually may be the best fit in the league next to Sabonis. He plays defense at a DPOY level and can easily anchor a defense. His versatility, length, IQ, rim protection, ability to defend without fouling, and ability to defend the perimeter are outstanding. The defensive fit doesn’t get much better than that. Offensively, he shot the 3 ball at a good rate on decent volume this year which should still keep defenses honest but unlike Finney-Smith, he does have more of an offensive arsenal and can help a bit more in the scoring department. He’s also a tremendous rebounder and I’m salivating at the idea of a team trying to keep both Sabonis and Isaac off the glass all game long. He’ll be 27 at the start of next season which puts him right on the same timeline as our core. The only cons is that he’ll be UFA after next season and that he’s a MAJOR injury risk.

Kyle Kuzma
He’s got the size, length, athleticism, versatility to be (theoretically) what we want at PF and he gives us another secondary scoring option to help when defenses clamp down. He’s a good rebounder and has a really good declining contract which will likely look better and better each year. My concerns are that he’s never been an efficient scorer at any point in his career, he seems like a “me” guy and would be more prone to chucking vs. playing within the flow of the team, he doesn’t strike me as a good defender, and he’s not that good of a floor spacer. Kuzma’s one of my least favorite options. I think he has too many question marks on his fit to take that risk.

Taylor Hendricks
Theoretically, he’s a tremendous fit next to Sabonis. He’s got great size, length, and athleticism. He projects as a good defender, shot blocker, rebounder, and shooter (and will only be 20 at the start of next year). The downside is that he is still mostly potential at this point and he may not help us win right away.

In regards to who Is take that gamble on, I think at this point I lean towards Jonathan Isaac or Jerami Grant. Both are risks for different reasons, but their risks seem the smallest when assessing the type of player we want to put between Murray and Sabonis.

To land one of these two guys, we’re probably looking at the following trades (or something close to it):
  1. Grant, #34, & #40 for Huerter, Vezenkov, Duarte, & #13
  2. Isaac & #47 for Huerter & #13

That seems like a steep price for Isaac, but I think it’s going to take a steep price for ORL to surrender Isaac’s massive potential (even with the injury concerns). This seems to be how the large majority of the ORL fanbase feels so take that for what it’s worth.

SIDE NOTE: I didn’t include Eason or Avdija in this list because their fan bases seem to have them valued more than what we can offer (if I’m taking Fox, Ellis, Murray, Sabonis, and future 1sts off the table). Also, Markkanen is excluded for similar reasons but he comes with his own defensive question marks and isn’t technically a perfect fit. Bridges was left off as well for similar reasons but I don’t think BKN would trade him for picks and rebuild since they don’t own some of their own 1sts. I think they would only let him go if someone like Murray was included.

Yeah that seems to be likely.

After gauging other fan bases on how much they value their SFs/PFs and after looking at our assets (removing Fox, Ellis, Murray, Sabonis, and future 1sts from consideration), I think the list of SFs/PFs we could trade for are:
  1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Bobby Portis
  3. Brandon Ingram
  4. Cameron Johnson
  5. De’Andre Hunter
  6. Dorian Finney-Smith
  7. Grant Williams
  8. Isaiah Stewart
  9. Jalen Smith
  10. Jerami Grant
  11. John Collins
  12. Jonathan Isaac
  13. Kyle Kuzma
  14. Naz Reid
  15. Taylor Hendricks
All of those guys have cons. All of them. So it comes down to who you/McNair would be willing to take a risk on. Some of those risks will cost more than others (e.g., Collins/Smith shouldn’t take assets to acquire while guys like Grant/Isaac would).

For me, I’d much rather target a PF and keep Murray at SF. He’s shown that he’s good at defending quicker wings and his extra size & length at SF will be much needed considering we have Sabonis at C. That leaves me with the following list:
  1. Bobby Portis
  2. Dorian Finney-Smith
  3. Isaiah Stewart
  4. Jalen Smith
  5. Jerami Grant
  6. John Collins
  7. Jonathan Isaac
  8. Kyle Kuzma
  9. Naz Reid
  10. Taylor Hendricks

In addition to being able to matchup and defend the larger PFs in the league, I think it’s also very important to be versatile enough to be able to defend SFs at a good level. For me, that leaves…
  1. Dorian Finney-Smith
  2. Jerami Grant
  3. Jonathan Isaac
  4. Kyle Kuzma
  5. Taylor Hendricks

Dorian Finney-Smith
I like me some DFS. Really good, long, versatile defender whose interior defense & rotations are underrated IMO. However, his shooting has taken a dip the last 2 seasons (.343 3P%) but that also might be a product of the team he’s on and not getting as good of looks as before. He’s also not going to give you much in terms of scoring so you’re really going to need to rely on Murray becoming that type of player (and also hope you bring Monk back). Lastly, he’ll be 31 at the start of next season and will be an expiring contract. Do we want to be in a position to risk losing him for nothing or signing him to a decent sized deal ending in his mid 30s?

Jerami Grant
In a way, Grant can provide almost everything we’re looking for. He’s a very long, athletic, versatile forward who has shown that he can be a plus defender and pretty good rim protector. He’s also a really good shooter and an efficient secondary scorer to give us another option when defenses clamp down. The cons are that you’re hoping that he can get back to being a plus defender since his offensive load will be less and that he’ll be 30 years old at the start of the season with 4 more years left being paid like a top end starter (not a star). He’s also not a good rebounder but Sabonis should help negate that a bit. You’re basically banking on him tapping back into the defensive ability he showed a few years ago but now that player is also a better shooter and secondary scorer today. Combine all of this attributes, and you got a hell of a fit next to Sabonis.

Jonathan Isaac
Isaac actually may be the best fit in the league next to Sabonis. He plays defense at a DPOY level and can easily anchor a defense. His versatility, length, IQ, rim protection, ability to defend without fouling, and ability to defend the perimeter are outstanding. The defensive fit doesn’t get much better than that. Offensively, he shot the 3 ball at a good rate on decent volume this year which should still keep defenses honest but unlike Finney-Smith, he does have more of an offensive arsenal and can help a bit more in the scoring department. He’s also a tremendous rebounder and I’m salivating at the idea of a team trying to keep both Sabonis and Isaac off the glass all game long. He’ll be 27 at the start of next season which puts him right on the same timeline as our core. The only cons is that he’ll be UFA after next season and that he’s a MAJOR injury risk.

Kyle Kuzma
He’s got the size, length, athleticism, versatility to be (theoretically) what we want at PF and he gives us another secondary scoring option to help when defenses clamp down. He’s a good rebounder and has a really good declining contract which will likely look better and better each year. My concerns are that he’s never been an efficient scorer at any point in his career, he seems like a “me” guy and would be more prone to chucking vs. playing within the flow of the team, he doesn’t strike me as a good defender, and he’s not that good of a floor spacer. Kuzma’s one of my least favorite options. I think he has too many question marks on his fit to take that risk.

Taylor Hendricks
Theoretically, he’s a tremendous fit next to Sabonis. He’s got great size, length, and athleticism. He projects as a good defender, shot blocker, rebounder, and shooter (and will only be 20 at the start of next year). The downside is that he is still mostly potential at this point and he may not help us win right away.

In regards to who Is take that gamble on, I think at this point I lean towards Jonathan Isaac or Jerami Grant. Both are risks for different reasons, but their risks seem the smallest when assessing the type of player we want to put between Murray and Sabonis.

To land one of these two guys, we’re probably looking at the following trades (or something close to it):
  1. Grant, #34, & #40 for Huerter, Vezenkov, Duarte, & #13
  2. Isaac & #47 for Huerter & #13

That seems like a steep price for Isaac, but I think it’s going to take a steep price for ORL to surrender Isaac’s massive potential (even with the injury concerns). This seems to be how the large majority of the ORL fanbase feels so take that for what it’s worth.

SIDE NOTE: I didn’t include Eason or Avdija in this list because their fan bases seem to have them valued more than what we can offer (if I’m taking Fox, Ellis, Murray, Sabonis, and future 1sts off the table). Also, Markkanen is excluded for similar reasons but he comes with his own defensive question marks and isn’t technically a perfect fit. Bridges was left off as well for similar reasons but I don’t think BKN would trade him for picks and rebuild since they don’t own some of their own 1sts. I think they would only let him go if someone like Murray was included.
I do think Isaac is attainable, just because their franchise pillars are at his spot. Isaac can small-ball 5, but I don't think that's anywhere close to a long-term option for them. If they could get a lotto pick and quality shooting in return for him, they would 100% bite.

I almost don't think you'd need to trade 13 though. Huerter for Isaac seems very fair straight up.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do think Isaac is attainable, just because their franchise pillars are at his spot. Isaac can small-ball 5, but I don't think that's anywhere close to a long-term option for them. If they could get a lotto pick and quality shooting in return for him, they would 100% bite.

I almost don't think you'd need to trade 13 though. Huerter for Isaac seems very fair straight up.
I think Orlando will demand some sweeteners. But IF they miss out on Klay (and possibly PG13) in free agency, then I think Huerter becomes a more attractive piece for them. One thing that works in the Kings favor is that Isaac didn't have a great postseason, especially when added to the starting lineup in a smallball 5 role.

Yeah I don’t think that cuts it. Isaac is one of those guys that you’ll need to overpay to get IMO. If he’s healthy, he’s a $30-$40 mil a year player and is a perennial contender for DPOY while also not being a sieve on offense. Nobody wants to be the team that traded Isaac away and then he puts together a relatively healthy string of seasons.

Trading #13 for Isaac is definitely risky but there’s also no guarantee that #13 pans out and I don’t see a player at #13 that I like as our long term PF. Instead of drafting a question mark, we shift that question mark to a player’s health who we know is basically a perfect fit.

Just to give you a sense for how the ORL fanbase views Isaac’s trade value, here’s a thread that proposed Huerter, #13, & 2025 POR 2nd for Isaac & #18: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2378426

If someone like Dillingham is there at #13 maybe they agree the pick swap to get him. I think he would fit great with Suggs or Black and gives them a good prospect with some upside.

I want to keep a first in this draft. We send out the 2023 and if we are good the next year also. We need some players with rookie salaries also who can develop while we try to win.

I think Orlando will demand some sweeteners. But IF they miss out on Klay (and possibly PG13) in free agency, then I think Huerter becomes a more attractive piece for them. One thing that works in the Kings favor is that Isaac didn't have a great postseason, especially when added to the starting lineup in a smallball 5 role.
I just worry about the cost of 13+Huerter on an expiring Isaac headed to UFA after next season. But maybe that's the gamble worth making because if it DOES work, he's actually the best 4 you can put next to Domas in the entire NBA (maybe JJJ?).

I will say, I'd gladly do this than any deal for Kuzma/Grant. At least I know if Isaac works out, he's actually going to be worth the 150 mil currently owed to Grant and will make us one of the best defenses in the NBA. I don't have to worry about the fit, the impact, anything. It's only a matter if his body can hold up to starter minutes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just worry about the cost of 13+Huerter on an expiring Isaac headed to UFA after next season. But maybe that's the gamble worth making because if it DOES work, he's actually the best 4 you can put next to Domas in the entire NBA (maybe JJJ?).

I will say, I'd gladly do this than any deal for Kuzma/Grant. At least I know if Isaac works out, he's actually going to be worth the 150 mil currently owed to Grant and will make us one of the best defenses in the NBA. I don't have to worry about the fit, the impact, anything. It's only a matter if his body can hold up to starter minutes.
Yeah, I'm way, WAY more interested in trading for Isaac than Kuzma or especially Grant.

Sam Vecenie (and Bryce Simon) recently did their Kings off-season preview as part of the Game Theory podcast and they had Monk leaving in free agency and the Kings trading Barnes, Huerter, Lyles, Vezenkov, Duarte, Davion, #13 and Portland's 2nd rounder in 2025 to get back LaVine, Kuzma and a lottery protected Trailblazers pick.

That would be an incredibly depressing offseason IMO. But sadly, I could see it happening.

My hope would be to trade for Isaac, see if you could pry Robert Williams and Thybulle out of Portland for ending contracts, ideally hold on to #13 and re-sign Malik.

Maybe Huerter, Sasha and a protected future first to Orlando for Isaac and then Lyles, Duarte, and Vezenkov to Portland for Thybulle and WIlliams. I'd prefer to send out Barnes & Duarte, but I think Portland likely prefers ending contracts. Maybe you also send them back their 2nd rounder for 2025.

C Sabonis/Williams
PF Isaac/Barnes
SF Murray/Thybulle
SG Ellis/Jones
PG Fox/Monk

Grab a potential piece at #13 and ideally a rotational player at #45 (I'd definitely look to trade up higher in the 2nd this year), fill in the holes with budget signings and that's a pretty solid roster.

Yeah, I'm way, WAY more interested in trading for Isaac than Kuzma or especially Grant.

Sam Vecenie (and Bryce Simon) recently did their Kings off-season preview as part of the Game Theory podcast and they had Monk leaving in free agency and the Kings trading Barnes, Huerter, Lyles, Vezenkov, Duarte, Davion, #13 and Portland's 2nd rounder in 2025 to get back LaVine, Kuzma and a lottery protected Trailblazers pick.

That would be an incredibly depressing offseason IMO. But sadly, I could see it happening.

My hope would be to trade for Isaac, see if you could pry Robert Williams and Thybulle out of Portland for ending contracts, ideally hold on to #13 and re-sign Malik.

Maybe Huerter, Sasha and a protected future first to Orlando for Isaac and then Lyles, Duarte, and Vezenkov to Portland for Thybulle and WIlliams. I'd prefer to send out Barnes & Duarte, but I think Portland likely prefers ending contracts. Maybe you also send them back their 2nd rounder for 2025.

C Sabonis/Williams
PF Isaac/Barnes
SF Murray/Thybulle
SG Ellis/Jones
PG Fox/Monk

Grab a potential piece at #13 and ideally a rotational player at #45 (I'd definitely look to trade up higher in the 2nd this year), fill in the holes with budget signings and that's a pretty solid roster.
Good god. I could see Vlade doing something like that for "win-now" vets, but thankfully, I think Monte is much more controlled with his vision and planning. Lavine AND Kuzma would be a damn disaster.

The more I think about it, the more I just pay whatever ORL wants for Isaac (outside of our top 4). That's the somewhat realistic piece where if it lines up, we all of a sudden have top 5 team potential. Again, as TWslam brought up, Isaac would never be available under normal circumstance, but just the semi-weird spot ORL has found themselves in with him being on an expiring and him basically never having a path to starting because their two best players block him+all his health concerns give a window to buy him before he (potentially) erupts as one of the best defensive players in basketball.

If he walks after next season.. well, at least you the shot you took actually had a chance of a huge reward and pay-off. I just don't see that with the Grant/Lavine/Kuzma tier of player.

Isaac is hella busted. If he was a 65 game/season player and a bit less of a weirdo, I’d agree he’d be an optimal fit. But I don’t bet on dudes that are busted.

I’d trade Davion and 13 for Kuzma and Washington’s late first round pick. Kuzma’s contract is perfect and the Kings would be set up to take a huge swing after the pick conveys to the Hawks in 2025.

Isaac is hella busted. If he was a 65 game/season player and a bit less of a weirdo, I’d agree he’d be an optimal fit. But I don’t bet on dudes that are busted.

I’d trade Davion and 13 for Kuzma and Washington’s late first round pick. Kuzma’s contract is perfect and the Kings would be set up to take a huge swing after the pick conveys to the Hawks in 2025.
He just got done playing 58 games in a 15 MPG role and all 7 Magic playoff games in a 21 MPG role. That's the gamble here; again, if we knew he could play 28+ MPG, he'd be a 150 mil player with how good he is defensively. Even in his limited role, he basically WAS the reason the Magic were one of the better defensive teams last season. Just absolutely absurd impact. Also might be the only true 1-5 versatile defender in basketball.

There just isn't a better fit to cover for what Domas can't do on the defensive end. A full season of Keon and him being able to stay healthy in a 25ish MPG role, I'd easily bet on us being a top 8 defense next year. I think he's that good and that impactful.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I just can't imagine the cost of acquiring Isaac is worth the risk - I get the pro argument. I just don't actually know what it would take to acquire him and don't think we have whatever it is. It does not help that he seems to love it there and they seem to love him.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good god. I could see Vlade doing something like that for "win-now" vets, but thankfully, I think Monte is much more controlled with his vision and planning. Lavine AND Kuzma would be a damn disaster.

The more I think about it, the more I just pay whatever ORL wants for Isaac (outside of our top 4). That's the somewhat realistic piece where if it lines up, we all of a sudden have top 5 team potential. Again, as TWslam brought up, Isaac would never be available under normal circumstance, but just the semi-weird spot ORL has found themselves in with him being on an expiring and him basically never having a path to starting because their two best players block him+all his health concerns give a window to buy him before he (potentially) erupts as one of the best defensive players in basketball.

If he walks after next season.. well, at least you the shot you took actually had a chance of a huge reward and pay-off. I just don't see that with the Grant/Lavine/Kuzma tier of player.
Orlando is also in the odd position of having a bunch of cap room this summer but needing to pay Franz and Paolo the next two offseasons. So say they splash a bunch of money this summer. Now their odds of re-signing Isaac next off-season become somewhat lower still.

Yeah, it's high risk in terms of Isaac's injury history and potential to leave after next season. But it's low risk in terms of the long term capsheet and likely the cost to acquire him because of his history and upcoming FA status. Kuzma is a safer bet in terms of his contract being team friendly and there likely being less variance in potential outcomes. Barring injury I think at worst he is a slight upgrade to Barnes but at best I don't think he's still enough to move the needle. And it seems like Washington is asking a lot for him.

To me, Grant is riskier than both. You're counting on him to return to a form he hasn't shown in years AND you're making that bet against a massive contract with at least 3 and possibly 4 years remaining since the last year is a player option. LaVine could be a worse option unless Chicago views him as a negative asset and the Kings are just having to put in enough salary to make the numbers work, which is less than I originally thought.

Orlando is also in the odd position of having a bunch of cap room this summer but needing to pay Franz and Paolo the next two offseasons. So say they splash a bunch of money this summer. Now their odds of re-signing Isaac next off-season become somewhat lower still.

Yeah, it's high risk in terms of Isaac's injury history and potential to leave after next season. But it's low risk in terms of the long term capsheet and likely the cost to acquire him because of his history and upcoming FA status. Kuzma is a safer bet in terms of his contract being team friendly and there likely being less variance in potential outcomes. Barring injury I think at worst he is a slight upgrade to Barnes but at best I don't think he's still enough to move the needle. And it seems like Washington is asking a lot for him.

To me, Grant is riskier than both. You're counting on him to return to a form he hasn't shown in years AND you're making that bet against a massive contract with at least 3 and possibly 4 years remaining since the last year is a player option. LaVine could be a worse option unless Chicago views him as a negative asset and the Kings are just having to put in enough salary to make the numbers work, which is less than I originally thought.
Yeah, I just don't think Kuzma is good. Maybe he's an upgrade on HB, but I'm not confident on that. And I don't think Grant is good either. I get it, they've been on bad teams, but if you're a winning/impact player, shouldn't that at least show up SOMEWHERE positively in either individual stats/team stats/wins? That's where the non-starter is for me with those 2 and LaVine. You're paying a massive salary to guys I don't think impact winning anymore. So what's really the gamble there?

I'm very confident Isaac is good and impactful to winning. Not at all confident in his health and then if he does work out how we want, we're competing again in the UFA in 2025. At least we'll have his full bird rights though.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I hear you. And I understand your perspective. I'm just that high on Isaac's fit and that low on Kuzma's impact.

To be clear, as long as it isn't a drastic overpay, I wouldn't be horribly upset at a Kuzma deal. Decending contract, shores up some rebounding, adds more shot creation - all good things. I just don't think he moves the needle and I think Washington is asking too much for him.

My bigger disappointment would be essentially gutting the entire team to add Kuzma AND LaVine. Now you have no bench, no draft picks, and you're locked in to that roster for at least 2-3 years. At it's best that roster isn't a contender. At worst you get a constantly injured LaVine and an inefficient Kuzma and you're lucky to be a play in team. I just don't see the upside. And the downside is having to blow it all up and rebuild in a couple years.

No thank you.

Good call, both pretty much look like the same basic role player.