Following Potential *2024* Draftees

I'm starting to question some of the measurements coming out so far... I took a look at last years combine and this year's combine (admittedly, these are pulled from random sources and not the official NBA.com since that's not out yet) and focused on players that were measured in both combines. This is the result...

1715718675061.png

Heights and wingspans increase or stay the same which makes sense. There are a couple measurements that decrease only 0.25" year over year, but I would chalk that up to a margin of error while measuring since they round to the nearest quarter inch.

Interestingly enough, the standing reaches are down across the board with the exception of Trey Alexander. In some cases, players lost 2-2.5" inches off of their standing reach which is just...unfathomable to me. Then you have a guy like Reed Sheppard who is almost 6'2" barefoot but has a standing reach of only 7'9.5"? That would have been the smallest standing reach in last year's combine by 2.5"! Then you have a guy like Da Silva who measured 6'8.25" barefoot with a 6'10.25" wingspan and somehow his standing reach is 8'5.5"?

Does anyone know if standing reaches were typically done in shoes in the past and now this year they are doing them barefoot? That's the only thing that makes sense to me right now.

I think there's something up with the standing reaches this year. While fans harp on length, I think it's obvious that GM's must be looking at athletic ability moreso because I mean, it's obvious some of these 42 inch verts are inflated and it's the standing reach once again being the trick.
Yeah you beat me to it a bit. I just posted again an analysis showing that something seems off with their standing reach measurements this year. The max vertical measurements is another data point to suggest something seems off considering only two players last year had a max vertical of 42" or higher last combine.

But even the shuttle run measurements look different this year. There are 27 players this year that would have had the fastest shuttle run time in last year's combine. What the hell is going on out there? haha

Da Silva with a 8’5.5” standing reach is really rough… That’s the same standing reach as Harrison Barnes which is not only below average for a PF but below average for a SF. Keon Ellis has a 8’6” standing reach for example. However, his max vertical at 35.5" is not too bad and his shuttle run at 2.82 sec is really fast. Will be interested to see how his lane agility shakes out.

I haven't seen any measurements for Chomche yet, but his shuttle run of 2.84 sec is really fast. If that's any indication of how fast/agile he is, that's quite the athletic freak combined with his size, length, and strength at his age.

Dalton Knecht seems to be having a great combine from a measurement standpoint:
  • Height w/o Shoes = 6'5.25"
  • Wingspan = 6'9"
  • Standing Reach = 8'7.5"
  • Shuttle Run = 2.79 (1st at the combine)
  • Lane Agility = ??? (Saw it reported that it was 2nd at the combine)
  • Max Vertical = 39"
We obviously know about his offensive talent, but those measurement make me wonder what his defensive potential could be.

The one thing that seems to be popping out to me is that I'm not really seeing many players who are measuring out with PF size. There does seem to be many players measuring out with SG/SF size:
  • Dalton Knecht
  • Ron Holland II
  • Cody Williams
  • Matas Buzelis
  • Ja'Kobe Walter
  • Kevin McCullar Jr.
  • Terrence Shannon Jr.
  • Kyshawn George
  • Tristan Da Silva
  • Ryan Dunn
  • Jaylon Tyson
The only guys that seem to be measuring out with PF size are:
  • Tyler Smith
  • Bobi Klintman
  • Alex Karaban
I'm sure Chomche will be included in that list but his measurements aren't out yet, and I didn't include Kyle Filipowski or DaRon Holmes II as I see them more as Cs than PFs.
Update alert!

I see NBA.com now has the measurements on their site and Da Silva does not have a 8'5.5" standing reach as initially reported...it says he has a 8'8.5" standing reach which seems much more reasonable/realistic (although considering my conspiracy theory about the standing reaches this year, that might be closer to 8'10" if he was measured last year ;)).

I’m a bit skeptical on the numbers but if Chomche is that quick he could be a defensive monster.

Dunn supposedly had a Barnes like standing reach which, if true, will impact his defensive ability in the NBA. Go Go Gadget arms matter.
Chomche's measurements are listed on NBA.com now:

Height w/o Shoes = 6'10.25"
Wingspan = 7'4"
Standing Reach = 9'1"
Weight = 232.4 lbs

Lane Agility = 11.74 sec
Shuttle Run = 2.84 sec
3/4 Sprint = 3.10 sec
Standing Vert = 29.0"
Max Vert = 35.5"

That lane agility is not particularly wowing but I can live with it for a guy that has great defensive reactions/instincts.

Man...Devin Carter's athletic measurements are pretty darn impressive:
  • Lane Agility = 3rd at the combine
  • Shuttle Run = 10th at the combine
  • 3/4 Sprint = 1st at the combine
  • Standing Vert = 1st at the combine
  • Max Vert = 1st at the combine
Add in the fact that his wingspan is 6.5" more than his height, and it's pretty easy to see why he's such a menacing defender and rebounder.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Update alert!

I see NBA.com now has the measurements on their site and Da Silva does not have a 8'5.5" standing reach as initially reported...it says he has a 8'8.5" standing reach which seems much more reasonable/realistic (although considering my conspiracy theory about the standing reaches this year, that might be closer to 8'10" if he was measured last year ;)).
For reference:

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2024-25

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility

For the time being, it does appear that the URL for the height/wingspan etc. measurements has to have the '24-'25 bit on it, but the strength and agility does not.

Add in the fact that his wingspan is 6.5" more than his height, and it's pretty easy to see why he's such a menacing defender and rebounder.
Devin Carter is starting to remind me of a blend between Marcus Smart & Donte DiVincenzo. Finding that player at #13 would be pretty good value.

Devin Carter starting to shape up 1000% as the dude everyone wonders why he fell to 17 in a weak draft after he makes 3 all-defensive teams.

He's just an impressive player. Love the shooting leap he took this year and he just looks like he takes pride in playing defense. To me, that matters just as much as the physical tools (which are all there too), because very few NBA guys actually want to go play tough defense like that on nearly every possession. Him and Keon hounding guards? Cmon now.

I did the exercise with Herb Jones a few years back, when he was one of my favorite talents in the 2nd round. If he were 19 and put up the same season, he'd probably go #1 overall. I think he's another pretty clear victim to it here and whoever takes him is going to get a damn good player.

I actually see a lot of Keon in his anticipation/ability to contest shots and quick hands swiping for steals. He's a defensive playmaker that not only gets stops but often turns it into a positive play on the other end.

Checks a lot of boxes that Moonte looks to draft:

-At least one year of school while showing significant improvement year over year
-Showed a huge leap with his shooting
-High Steal rate and block rate

And for people who think we don't need another guard... Did OKC need one when they took Cason Wallace last year in the draft? And that's now looking like an outstanding decision because he'll end up supplementing Josh Giddey next season and he's been a rock-star role player for them this season off the bench. You find a way to get quality talent, especially defenders, into the lineup and on the floor.

For all our "depth" I think we're in more of precarious situation than people want to think:
-Keon broke out and was incredibly productive, but for 25ish or so games. Can he sustain that for a whole season?
-Davion same thing. Was unplayable till the all-star break and had an awesome final 25ish games of the year. Who's the real Davion
-Huerter regressed and is very likely actively being shopped. Clear all around we need to go a different direction
-Malik Monk a UFA. I think we're still the betting favorite to keep him, but nothing guaranteed.
-Colby Jones showed promise, but we have no NBA film on him to evaluate. Just can't pencil him into a rotation spot next season.

Could very easily be in a situation where by game 40 next season, a Devin Carter or Jared McCain are the 2nd best guards on the team behind Fox.

I'm still looking into players, of course, but Devin Carter is near the top of my list. His profile just screams impact player at the NBA level. I don't see a weakness in the stat profile:

-Huge jump in USG from 21.5% to 28.1%, but managed to drastically improve his efficiency from 53.1% TS to 59.7% TS. That's damn hard to do.
-9% jump in Ast rate from 14.3% to 23.3%
-Rebounding ball-hawk with a massive jump from 8.9% TRB to 14.0% TRB. But shows year over year been an impressive rebounding guard.
-Decline in FTr, but became an absolute 3pt launcher while drastically improving his 3pt %. Shows why his efficiency was so much better.

Like, what's the weakness here? That he's 22 years old?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I would say more that he's 6'3". We've got our fair share of players who aren't all that big already - Fox, Davion, Keon, Monk if he returns. One of the basic complaints that has been pretty common this year is that we're small at every position, Carter only exacerbates that.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would say more that he's 6'3". We've got our fair share of players who aren't all that big already - Fox, Davion, Keon, Monk if he returns. One of the basic complaints that has been pretty common this year is that we're small at every position, Carter only exacerbates that.
I saw him listed as 6'5 but after some googling I see 6'3 as the more universally promoted number. So yeah I can see that too.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I saw him listed as 6'5 but after some googling I see 6'3 as the more universally promoted number. So yeah I can see that too.
His official at the combine was 6'2.25" barefoot, so that's 6'3.25" - 6'3.5" playing height.

(Edit to remove height typo)

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
His official at the combine was 6'6.25" barefoot, so that's 6'3.25" - 6'3.5" playing height.
6'2.25" I think you mean although I am finding his official measurements missing at many sources. Also see him listed as longest wingspan of any point guard. So I guess he only makes sense if we move Davion.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
6'2.25" I think you mean although I am finding his official measurements missing at many sources. Also see him listed as longest wingspan of any point guard. So I guess he only makes sense if we move Davion.
Yes, gonna edit that.

If you added 4 inches to Carter he'd be an entirely different prospect, of course.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tankathon has us with Cody Williams today, I would like that one better.
Tankathon also has Risacher as the 2nd best player in this draft. I mean, this is one of the weakest drafts I can remember, but anyone who watched how far he fell off in the last few months has to find it hard to believe he's the 2nd best option for a team overall.

But as Cap't and I discussed, I think if Cody Williams is there at the Kings pick you take him, but his shot mechanics and lack of a bankable NBA skill really concern me. But I think OKC nabs him to play with his brother if he's still on the board when Presti & co are on the clock.

Chomche's measurements are listed on NBA.com now:

Height w/o Shoes = 6'10.25"
Wingspan = 7'4"
Standing Reach = 9'1"
Weight = 232.4 lbs

Lane Agility = 11.74 sec
Shuttle Run = 2.84 sec
3/4 Sprint = 3.10 sec
Standing Vert = 29.0"
Max Vert = 35.5"

That lane agility is not particularly wowing but I can live with it for a guy that has great defensive reactions/instincts.
yeah what is strange is the shuttle run is near the top and the Lane agility is near the bottom. I don’t quite know what to make of it.

Tankathon also has Risacher as the 2nd best player in this draft. I mean, this is one of the weakest drafts I can remember, but anyone who watched how far he fell off in the last few months has to find it hard to believe he's the 2nd best option for a team overall.

But as Cap't and I discussed, I think if Cody Williams is there at the Kings pick you take him, but his shot mechanics and lack of a bankable NBA skill really concern me. But I think OKC nabs him to play with his brother if he's still on the board when Presti & co are on the clock.
his crappy shot mechanics excite me. If he is making shots .714 FT% based on depth perception only with no help from ball rotation sign me up. Shot mechanics can be fixed whereas depth perception just is.

that being said I don’t think he around when we pick.

Devin Carter starting to shape up 1000% as the dude everyone wonders why he fell to 17 in a weak draft after he makes 3 all-defensive teams.

He's just an impressive player. Love the shooting leap he took this year and he just looks like he takes pride in playing defense. To me, that matters just as much as the physical tools (which are all there too), because very few NBA guys actually want to go play tough defense like that on nearly every possession. Him and Keon hounding guards? Cmon now.

I did the exercise with Herb Jones a few years back, when he was one of my favorite talents in the 2nd round. If he were 19 and put up the same season, he'd probably go #1 overall. I think he's another pretty clear victim to it here and whoever takes him is going to get a damn good player.

I actually see a lot of Keon in his anticipation/ability to contest shots and quick hands swiping for steals. He's a defensive playmaker that not only gets stops but often turns it into a positive play on the other end.

Checks a lot of boxes that Moonte looks to draft:

-At least one year of school while showing significant improvement year over year
-Showed a huge leap with his shooting
-High Steal rate and block rate

And for people who think we don't need another guard... Did OKC need one when they took Cason Wallace last year in the draft? And that's now looking like an outstanding decision because he'll end up supplementing Josh Giddey next season and he's been a rock-star role player for them this season off the bench. You find a way to get quality talent, especially defenders, into the lineup and on the floor.

For all our "depth" I think we're in more of precarious situation than people want to think:
-Keon broke out and was incredibly productive, but for 25ish or so games. Can he sustain that for a whole season?
-Davion same thing. Was unplayable till the all-star break and had an awesome final 25ish games of the year. Who's the real Davion
-Huerter regressed and is very likely actively being shopped. Clear all around we need to go a different direction
-Malik Monk a UFA. I think we're still the betting favorite to keep him, but nothing guaranteed.
-Colby Jones showed promise, but we have no NBA film on him to evaluate. Just can't pencil him into a rotation spot next season.

Could very easily be in a situation where by game 40 next season, a Devin Carter or Jared McCain are the 2nd best guards on the team behind Fox.

I'm still looking into players, of course, but Devin Carter is near the top of my list. His profile just screams impact player at the NBA level. I don't see a weakness in the stat profile:

-Huge jump in USG from 21.5% to 28.1%, but managed to drastically improve his efficiency from 53.1% TS to 59.7% TS. That's damn hard to do.
-9% jump in Ast rate from 14.3% to 23.3%
-Rebounding ball-hawk with a massive jump from 8.9% TRB to 14.0% TRB. But shows year over year been an impressive rebounding guard.
-Decline in FTr, but became an absolute 3pt launcher while drastically improving his 3pt %. Shows why his efficiency was so much better.

we aren’t playing in a 6’ 4” and under league????

And he's a combo guard in a league stocked with combo G's. Good, let teams make the mistake in a G draft and pass on some of the G talent available. Ask Brown and he'd likely say the Kings need physicality and to get more athletic. Carter is probably the most physical in this draft. Yes, a G but for sure physical. I can't see any more than 3 of the current G's on the team sticking long term, maybe even just Keon and Fox so there's potential fit down the line.

This is a league where if you can play both sides of the ball and are elite athletically, it would be very hard for you not to find a solid footing at the NBA level. Find the right situation and you might be a star.
Sure and if you give up 4” in length at every position you are going to spend a lot of time in the lottery. Something with which we are very familiar.

And he's a combo guard in a league stocked with combo G's. Good, let teams make the mistake in a G draft and pass on some of the G talent available. Ask Brown and he'd likely say the Kings need physicality and to get more athletic. Carter is probably the most physical in this draft. Yes, a G but for sure physical. I can't see any more than 3 of the current G's on the team sticking long term, maybe even just Keon and Fox so there's potential fit down the line.
Lu Dort is pretty much the same measurements other than weight and he is guarding BI and Doncic in the playoffs. If he be anything like him that’s a huge win for us

Sure and if you give up 4” in length at every position you are going to spend a lot of time in the lottery. Something with which we are very familiar.
How were we in one of the best defensive teams in the NBA to close the year then? The only change we made was little shrimpy 6'3 Keon Ellis into the rotation and even shrimpier 6'1 Davion? Surely because they don't have a ton of length, we would have gotten worse right?

Passing on Carter because you like somebody better is absolutely acceptable. Passing on Carter solely because he's not a wing is dumb process.

I don't know yet if he's a top my list. I really like Knecht and DaRon Holmes too. Diving into a few more names in the next week.
do you think Holmes can play the 4? He did a joint combine working with Sanford and he looked pretty robotic and stiff even though he is skilled. He also added a bunch of weight so it seems he is pretty committed to center.