Kings sign Keon Ellis to 3-year deal

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d like to see that 3 guard lineup as well. The bench has been bad, less McGee, more Ellis and Vezenkov.
Definitely. I don't know why Brown won't experiment more with Lyles as a smallball C and Sasha at PF. And Monk & Ellis as the guards off the bench offers a lot of versatility.

I have to think part of why Davion got more opportunities lately was in part showcasing him for a potential trade, but also because the Kings were limited by the number of games Keon could play with the big club.

Post trade deadline and with Ellis signed long term, we'll see how Brown distributes the bench minutes among the guards.

Definitely. I don't know why Brown won't experiment more with Lyles as a smallball C and Sasha at PF. And Monk & Ellis as the guards off the bench offers a lot of versatility.

I have to think part of why Davion got more opportunities lately was in part showcasing him for a potential trade, but also because the Kings were limited by the number of games Keon could play with the big club.

Post trade deadline and with Ellis signed long term, we'll see how Brown distributes the bench minutes among the guards.
Sabonis, Lyles, Vezenkov, Ellis, Monk; Len/McGee, Lyles, Kessler, Ellis, Fox. Just all kinds of potentially effective lineups are available, depending on the opponent. Coach Brown has been experimenting with the bench all year. Now is the time to put it together.

I just hope he takes back his role now. I know I posted this in another thread, but he’s just simply been more impactful than Mitchell this year:

DPM / ODPM / DDPM
K. Ellis: -0.7 / -1.6 / +0.9
Mitchell: -2.4 / -1.3 / -1.0

EPM / OEPM / DEPM
K. Ellis: -2.2 / -1.6 / -0.6
Mitchell: -5.6 / -4.1 / -1.5

RAPM / ORAPM / DRAPM
K. Ellis: -1.6 / -1.1 / -0.5
Mitchell: -2.0 / -1.9 / -0.1

RAPTOR / ORAPTOR / DRAPTOR
K. Ellis: -0.9 / -1.7 / +0.9
Mitchell: -7.3 / -4.7 / -2.7

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Smart move. Not sure the kings were going to be able to or willing to keep Mitchell and quite frankly I think Keon can bring more energy and more offense off the bench.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is one of those moves that almost has to be foresight. In the midst of a number of complaints about deadline inaction, Monte does this - which he had obviously been preparing for.
It's quite possible Monte envisions Davion as an upcoming free agent and hopes / might be able to trade him as an expiring contract.

Keon seems like a player that if you put him in the starting lineup along side Keegan, all of the sudden the Kings would become a good defensive team overnight. You would have a Guard and a Forward defensive stopper on the floor starting the game to put the other team out of rhythm from the get go. He seems to me to be a perfect fit next to Fox in the starting unit.

I'm surprised that a defensive minded coach like coach Brown hasn't made better use of a defensive stud like Keon.

Keon seems like a player that if you put him in the starting lineup along side Keegan, all of the sudden the Kings would become a good defensive team overnight. You would have a Guard and a Forward defensive stopper on the floor starting the game to put the other team out of rhythm from the get go. He seems to me to be a perfect fit next to Fox in the starting unit.

I'm surprised that a defensive minded coach like coach Brown hasn't made better use of a defensive stud like Keon.
After last night's performance, I expect to see a lot more of Keon the rest of the season.