[Game] Kings @ Phoenix Suns, 1/16/2024,6:00 PST/9:00p EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We just lost to the 28-12 Bucks on a logo three in OT and the Suns scored the winning points at the Free Throw line on a foul with 1.1 left on the clock. Yes these are painful losses but hardly cause for a "sky is falling" freak out. I still think there's an easy solution to our problem -- trade some spare parts for a defender or two and actually play our defenders in the fourth quarter. This only-scoring-all-the-time brinksmanship thing going on the NBA right now is not a viable winning strategy.

The reality is what it is. With where the Kings are at this point Fox has to play pre Pippen Bulls Jordan. Just flat out be cruel to his own teammates. He got waaay too friendly at the end of this one.
He’s deferring to Monk too much to end the games and he seems too willing to be an observer. We need “Clutch Player of the Year” Fox back. He needs to impose his will at the end especially when a team is going on a 32-8 run to end the game. At that point, he needs to step up, take over, and say this isn’t happening on my watch. Too nonchalant.

it's a demoralizing loss... but this a developmental season, so no panic trades yet. I hope monte and more so vivek understands the long game.
This is not a developmental season are you crazy. We were are a piece or two from being a contender. Monte decided to do nothing and is now forced to salvage this season.

No he doesn’t. He messed up by not making any moves in the offseason and is now trying to course correct by trying to trade players nobody wants that he chose to resign.
He put his eggs in on Beal, it is what it is. What was the alternative, overbid for Kuzma? It was pretty clear after the salary cap was set, Monte tried to create tradeable contracts. Did he overpay for some players? Yes, but compared to some other players at similar values it balances out.

this team just doesn't have the confidence when they get rattled. it's the opposite of last year they just fall apart when they get hit in the mouth.
The front office needs to step in and ask the coaching staff as well as the players, what it is they need to be better focused and poised. There’s no trade we can possibly make to remedy this lack of focus and fight, and that’s what really disheartens me the most. If we could point at one specific thing to make sense of this, I’d feel a little better. SMH

Yes we will make it. But we won't get far like this. We really need a reality check. We have not made it just because we made playoffs last year. Team need to stay hungry,we didn't win a championship
We’re 7th right now. And I’m not confident we’ll climb over any of those 6 above us and not confident we’re gonna fend off the Suns and Lakers. We have the 5th toughest schedule remaining too. We need Fox to start acting like a leader who holds himself and the team accountable for fixing the same mistakes it keeps making. Fox is a stud but we need him to play a bigger leadership role

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The front office needs to step in and ask the coaching staff as well as the players, what it is they need to be better focused and poised. There’s no trade we can possibly make to remedy this lack of focus and fight, and that’s what really disheartens me the most. If we could point at one specific thing to make sense of this, I’d feel a little better. SMH
I think the weight of expectations is catching up to them.

I actually don't think a panic move will solve it. But if there is actually truth that Houston wants Barnes I think you see what they are willing to part with.

Two straight collapsed in epic proportion. I blame Mike Brown somewhat for just letting the guys roll with it. He should have tell Sabonis to dominate inside...if Suns go small, it means Sabonis should be dominating inside. But no, they didn't go to Sabonis instead they're trying to do the pick n roll with Monk. Look, KD cannot guard Sabonis...Sabonis is much stronger. There are time even Gordon was guarding Sabonis and what did he do? Pass the ball out. Like really? He should be licking his chopsticks when a small guy is on him. I can't believe what I am seeing. On top of that Sabonis didn't run back to guard leaving Phoenix wide open for 3s. Sabonis IS the problem in this game and IS the big reason why Phoenix were able to come back. Mike Brown was trying to go small as well but it didn't work...he quickly sub in Sabonis. I wasn't comfortable without Sabonis either but man...like I said, if they're going small....it means you got to go to Sabonis and let him dominate, that's the key, the reason is they're switching everything.

How am I supposed to believe in this team anymore? How am I supposed to think they can win IN ANY GAME even if they're UP by 20? They may squander again. What's the point of watching? Just dumb basketball overall.

Fox should have never fouled KD at the end...and before that, they let KD shoot 2 pts to give them the lead. How pathetic. It's one thing to play hard, it's quite another to play dumb. This team play some of the dumbest basketball I ever seen. Brown should never play Barnes, he doesn't do anything great beside showing flash here and there....not very consistent. His defense is always soft.

Last edited:
We just lost to the 28-12 Bucks on a logo three in OT and the Suns scored the winning points at the Free Throw line on a foul with 1.1 left on the clock. Yes these are painful losses but hardly cause for a "sky is falling" freak out. I still think there's an easy solution to our problem -- trade some spare parts for a defender or two and actually play our defenders in the fourth quarter. This only-scoring-all-the-time brinksmanship thing going on the NBA right now is not a viable winning strategy.
Agreed.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It is what it is. This team is extremely flawed and needs fixing. Losses like that hopefully speed up the process of the fix, whatever that may be. I trust Monte at this point and I trust he sees ”Run it back” as unviable anymore.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This is definitely part of young team building but it's probably the most frustrating part.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It is what it is. This team is extremely flawed and needs fixing. Losses like that hopefully speed up the process of the fix, whatever that may be. I trust Monte at this point and I trust he sees ”Run it back” as unviable anymore.
I'm only laughing because I'm imagining your reaction if this had happened against Golden State.

You must be trolling or not watch a lot of Kings basketball. Fox is our best player. C'mon now.
yes Fox is our best player but wouldn’t you want someone even better, like Haliburton who makes everybody around him better with crazy assist numbers? Oh wait, we had him once didn’t we?

Joking aside, Kings will not get any better or worse with trading for bench. Barnes and Huerter won’t bring any big difference makers either. Unless we make a blockbuster move we’ll probably be a no better than 6-8 seed team with first round exits in years to come. Only star players can bring superstars in a trade.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm only laughing because I'm imagining your reaction if this had happened against Golden State.
I’ve been saying this team isn’t anything other than first round fodder all year. Golden State broke me last year; and honestly I’m not bought in and fixed yet. Don’t think I’ve had too many OTT freak outs this year because I find it hard to fully care about this team as built.

There was a loss in Dallas toward the end of last year's regular season that comes to mind. Fox had a breakaway dunk and was jawing a bit at the Mavs before we unraveled and lost. If we're going to make it to the next level, we need our most clutch player to be focused from start to finish. You wanna be anything like Kobe and the other greats, you need to finish strong. We don't need our guys to be perfect, but, great stretches and moments aren't enough to become a great team. We're decent to pretty good right now, and in January we're just below mediocre. This feeling sucks so i pray we can get a few games in a row to restore some sort of good morale, cuz this sure as hell ain't it.

I feel like games like this one will happen from time to time. It's just the way the kings play. If they don't suddenly make their 3's and fox goes cold for a period of time.. it's basically game. Sabonis is great for what he does and is a triple double machine, but he isn't that guy u can go to and be like go get me a basket. We need more variation in our offense and defense needs to improve if nothing else.

yes Fox is our best player but wouldn’t you want someone even better, like Haliburton who makes everybody around him better with crazy assist numbers? Oh wait, we had him once didn’t we?

Joking aside, Kings will not get any better or worse with trading for bench. Barnes and Huerter won’t bring any big difference makers either. Unless we make a blockbuster move we’ll probably be a no better than 6-8 seed team with first round exits in years to come. Only star players can bring superstars in a trade.
This team doesn't need a blockbuster every season to get better and sure up certain issues. That's not how basketball works. The suns are worse than they were when it was CP3, Booker and parts. Big names don't mean squat if you plan on building a team strictly on paper. No way! Let's not let these inexplicable losses make us lose sight of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.