SKAL BACK

But for real, anyone know what he's been up to the last few years? Hopefully tearing it up overseas? Whiteside 2.0, but we actually benefit this time?
Not much on record but seems like he was last tracked in Puerto Rico, after spending a few years post-Portland in G-league.

Maybe they like his motor to help push our kids in practice?

Random af.

I think the issue with Skal that I noticed was that I think he lacked confidence.

His shot was wet and I think his post game was ok?

Him being able to hit that midrange off a pick and roll would be a pretty nice asset.

This is such a random pickup there must have been something in the advanced stats that management picked up

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We have officially reached "somebody's gotta get cut in training camp" territory, because we're up to 16 NBA contracts (three I believe are unguaranteed, or at least not fully guaranteed):

Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk/Colby
Barnes/Duarte/Edwards
Keegan/Vezenkov/Lyles
Sabonis/Len/Queta(U)/Noel(U)/Skal(U)

Looks like we've sacrificed the third-string point guard in favor of a shootout at the backup C position. I guess we're mostly counting on running our offense through Domas (and maybe Sasha?) if we end up having a injury? I guess there's Monk/Colby/Ellis(2-way) but they may not be ideal floor generals. Not that Delly did much for us last year, so...

We have officially reached "somebody's gotta get cut in training camp" territory, because we're up to 16 NBA contracts (three I believe are unguaranteed, or at least not fully guaranteed):

Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk/Colby
Barnes/Duarte/Edwards
Keegan/Vezenkov/Lyles
Sabonis/Len/Queta(U)/Noel(U)/Skal(U)

Looks like we've sacrificed the third-string point guard in favor of a shootout at the backup C position. I guess we're mostly counting on running our offense through Domas (and maybe Sasha?) if we end up having a injury? I guess there's Monk/Colby/Ellis(2-way) but they may not be ideal floor generals. Not that Delly did much for us last year, so...
I mean, Delly was a great Ast coach/locker room guy, but fairly cringy every time he actually stepped on the floor. I would have much rather we just turned the PG duties over to Monk in those minutes instead.

I like the bet of us really trying to nail back-up C. Which was by far the weakest spot on the team last year. If Fox goes down, we can tap Davion/Monk/Jones, bring up Keon, give Huerter more ball-handling etc. Not super ideal obviously, but about as good as you could hope if your star player goes down.

Think it comes down to that Noel/Queta/Skal are far more likely to see important minutes if Domas gets hurt than would a Jordan Ford. That makes it more valuable to get that decision right to me.

Last edited:
I feel like Skal could have been better than what he has become. He’s just always been further down than a 4th scoring option or worse. Again, huge fan of his presence on the court.
I do agree confidence has been his biggest downfall, because he definently has the skill set.

I hope he has gained some strength over the years, my memories of him are largely unfavorable as a basketball player. Surprised he is still even in the league, props to him for sticking around.

6' 10", long arms and big hands. Nice shooting stroke. I hope his body has filled out and he has developed a little nasty attitude around the rim. He has the skills, here is to hoping he can bring it all together playing for this version of the Kings.

Has he improved to be better than Metu? Same game right, Stretch 4? I guess he'll be cheaper.

I went to a game back in I think his 2nd season(?). I think he had 20 points without seeming to be the focus.

Not sure whats the plan with him here.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
It sounds like this is an Exhibit 10 contract and the expectation is that he'll play in Stockton next season.

If that's the case I'm absolutely on board with seeing if there's still something to develop with Skal.
The Bee has now reported exactly that. I suppose he could break onto the main squad with a great preseason, but it seems unlikely. I know the guy in that video above is a valuable player, but at this point Skal hasn't proven the ability to be even a quarter of that guy with any consistency.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bee has now reported exactly that. I suppose he could break onto the main squad with a great preseason, but it seems unlikely. I know the guy in that video above is a valuable player, but at this point Skal hasn't proven the ability to be even a quarter of that guy with any consistency.
Labissiere has been out of the League the last couple seasons. I think for him these are baby steps in trying to get his NBA career back on track.

The fact that he's willing to take this offer when it likely means he plays in the GLeague all season means he's hungry. Hopefully with a solid coaching and support staff he can make the most of this opportunity.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
The fact that he's willing to take this offer when it likely means he plays in the GLeague all season means he's hungry.
He was actually in the G-League last year as well. So it's kind of a lateral move if he doesn't make the NBA roster - unless he gets that last two-way deal I think we have left - Edit: never mind, I totally blanked that he's already got 4 years of NBA service and isn't eligible for a two-way.

Labissiere has been out of the League the last couple seasons. I think for him these are baby steps in trying to get his NBA career back on track.

The fact that he's willing to take this offer when it likely means he plays in the GLeague all season means he's hungry. Hopefully with a solid coaching and support staff he can make the most of this opportunity.
He tore up the G-League with Stockton before. I would expect to see the same thing happen now. Hopefully he'll get a better chance in the NBA this time around, with a coaching staff and front office that know what they're doing

6' 10", long arms and big hands. Nice shooting stroke. I hope his body has filled out and he has developed a little nasty attitude around the rim. He has the skills, here is to hoping he can bring it all together playing for this version of the Kings.
Funny they list him at 6'10. He's the tallest at that listed height that I remember seeing. He looks closer to 7' than he does 6'10