Guess as to rotation.

Okay the summer is over.

what is your prediction on the final roster.
Point: Fox, Monk, Mitchell
2 Guard: Huerter, Duarte, Jones
Small For: Edwards, Barnes, FA (Johnny Juzang)
Power For: Murray, Lyles, Vezenkov
Center: Sabonis, Len, Queta

2 way: Ellis, Slawson, J Ford

what is your prediction on rotation.
Primary Ball handler: Fox (32), Monk (14), Davion (2)
Wing 1: Huerter (18), Davion (10), Monk (10) Duarte 4
Wing 2: Edwards (18), Barnes (18), Huerter (6)
Wing 3: Murry (32), Barnes (6), Vezenkov (4)
Big: Sabonis (32), Lyles (8), Queta (2)

I think one of Vezenkov or Monk gets moved for a 3 and D wing FA gets cut…..

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No way is Sasha is here to play 4 mpg. I guess in the end someone is likely going to be disappointed though, there's too many bodies but 9 that stand out over the rest for sure. Not sure about the minutes but I think the 9 main guys are Fox, Monk, Huerter, Davion, HB, Murray, Sasha, Domas, and Lyles. I agree that Monte will probably look to condense the roster at some point this season as well unless the Kings take the league by storm.

The Kings have players who can fill in at multiple positions, which makes it tough to assess how it will work in practice. Even Mike Brown will not know until training camp, although he has last season as a template.

Starters: Sabonis, Murray, Barnes, Huerter or Monk, Fox

Primary backups: Lyles, Vezenkov, Kessler, Monk or Huerter, Mitchell

The basic rotation will not go beyond ten players. After that, the most likely player up is Len, who will be needed against the giants like Adams.

Fox 34 || Davion 14
Huerter 24 || Monk 24
Keegan 32 || Duarte 12 || HB 4
HB 25 || Vezenkov 20 || Lyles 3
Domas 34 || Lyles 14

Fox 34
Domas 34
Keegan 32
HB 29
Huerter 24
Monk 24
Vezenkov 20
Lyles 17
Duarte 12

I think Duarte gets the first crack at the back-up 3 minutes. Monte went and out traded 2 real seconds for him, so it's not like we just took him for free. There's a bit of skin in the game. And just his history with Domas and very likely the pedigree we had him at in that draft class. If it's to be believed, he was third on our list according to that report.

Of course can be versatile with positions and move guys around. Or just cut Duarte's minutes in games where we need to and distribute those out throughout the squad. But in general, I do think we're going to try and be conscious of guys workloads and keep them dialed back as much as we can. Really don't want to see another 3+ month stretch where Domas has to go run 38 minutes a night because we can't hold the line without him on the floor.

And just a bit of a read, I think we're going to almost full platoon Huerter and Monk this year. Maybe even lean Monk, especially in closing minutes. That playoff performance has to be stuck in everyone's mind on the team and my guess is we're going to give him every shot to earn that role in the regular season too.

All I know is Fox, Sabonis and Keegan get the minutes. I don’t care about where else the minutes go for the simple fact it’s different any given matchup. I just know I prefer Monk over red velvet. Hell I prefer Lyles over red velvet.
I guess this leads me to say. Trade red velvet.

which has nothing to do with this topic :)

Markdown (GitHub flavored):
PG    Fox        34    Monk.       14      
SG    Huerter    28    Davion      10    Monk        10
SF    Keegan     32    Vezenkov    12    HB           4
PF    HB.        25    Lyles       15    Vezenkov     8
C     Domas      32    Len         16
I'm skeptical of the idea of Lyles as backup C

No way is Sasha is here to play 4 mpg. I guess in the end someone is likely going to be disappointed though, there's too many bodies but 9 that stand out over the rest for sure. Not sure about the minutes but I think the 9 main guys are Fox, Monk, Huerter, Davion, HB, Murray, Sasha, Domas, and Lyles. I agree that Monte will probably look to condense the roster at some point this season as well unless the Kings take the league by storm.
map them out. The problem is where is Sasha going to play? He isn’t playing over Keegan. NFW he can guard the 3. Don’t think he can play small ball 5 over Lyles.

we have 2 impacted spots. What I would call Quad 2 and Quad 4 guys. Somebody isn’t getting the playing time you think because no one you listed is either long enough or quick enough to defend the 3.

definately not long enough: Davion, Fox, Monk
Not long enough generally: Huerter
Not quick enough generally: Barnes, Keegan
NFW quick enough: Sasha, Domas, Lyles.

Monte saying Davion could guard the 3 was Vlade level stupid.

Markdown (GitHub flavored):
PG    Fox        34    Monk.       14     
SG    Huerter    28    Davion      10    Monk        10
SF    Keegan     32    Vezenkov    12    HB           4
PF    HB.        25    Lyles       15    Vezenkov     8
C     Domas      32    Len         16
I'm skeptical of the idea of Lyles as backup C
well I’m more skeptical of Sasha standing any chance in hell of guarding what is often the other teams best player. No way are we playing Sasha and Lyles at forward unless we want to be completely cooked.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Fox 34 || Davion 14
Huerter 24 || Monk 24
Domas 34 || Lyles 14

Fox 34
Domas 34
Keegan 32
HB 29
Huerter 24
Monk 24
Vezenkov 20
Lyles 17
Duarte 12

I think Duarte gets the first crack at the back-up 3 minutes. Monte went and out traded 2 real seconds for him, so it's not like we just took him for free. There's a bit of skin in the game. And just his history with Domas and very likely the pedigree we had him at in that draft class. If it's to be believed, he was third on our list according to that report.

Of course can be versatile with positions and move guys around. Or just cut Duarte's minutes in games where we need to and distribute those out throughout the squad. But in general, I do think we're going to try and be conscious of guys workloads and keep them dialed back as much as we can. Really don't want to see another 3+ month stretch where Domas has to go run 38 minutes a night because we can't hold the line without him on the floor.

And just a bit of a read, I think we're going to almost full platoon Huerter and Monk this year. Maybe even lean Monk, especially in closing minutes. That playoff performance has to be stuck in everyone's mind on the team and my guess is we're going to give him every shot to earn that role in the regular season too.
I see this as the most likely breakdown on opening day.

Duarte and Sasha will get opportunities to earn more time, with HB and Huerter most in jeopardy of losing PT.

I think Colby Jones has at least a fringe crack at getting some minutes in the back stretch of the season depending on Duarte's performance and how he shows early.

Fox 34 || Davion 14
Huerter 24 || Monk 24
Domas 34 || Lyles 14

Fox 34
Domas 34
Keegan 32
HB 29
Huerter 24
Monk 24
Vezenkov 20
Lyles 17
Duarte 12

per the scouting report on Duarte…..

Duarte is a bit undersized to guard 3s and 4s with his slender frame and 6'7 wingspan.

Im not sure Duarte and Monk or even Duarte and Huerter can stop many players.

I’m not even sure Keegan and Huerter have the defensive chops to stop many of the 2-3 combos in the league. Assuming health which could be a stretch:
Booker / Durant ?
George / Leonard ?
Reaves / James ?
Thompson / Wiggins probably
Alexander / Giddey ?
Edwards / McDaniels ?
McCollum / Ingram maybe
KCP / Porter Probably
Doncic / G Williams. Maybe
Clarkson / Markannan yes
Sharpe / Simons yes
Bane / Smart yes
Green / Brooks Probably
Vassell / Johnson Probably

In season we might be okay. Depending on play-off match-up it could a problem and a first round exit.

Honestly the breakdown seems pretty obvious to me:
Fox 32/ Davion 16
Huerter 22/Monk 26
Keegan 32/Duarte 12/ Huerter 4
HB 28/ Sasha 20
Domas 32/ Lyles 16

I put a few minutes for Huerter at the 3 because we will run some small ball, but the small ball minutes could also be something like Davion/Fox/Duarte or any combo of our guards.

Honestly everything seems set rotation wise except that 10th guy. I could see it being Duarte, Kessler, Jones or even Keon. And it might rotate. And those 12 or so minutes are also the ones that get consolidated if we shorten the rotation. I could also see Barnes dropping another 4-6 minutes if Sasha is the real deal, or we want to play Keegan at 4 and find more minutes for a Duarte/Kessler type at 3

Appreciate all the takes.

Here's my fantasy lineup - which will probably never happen:

Fox
Monk
Huerter
Keegan
Sasha

(there's more rebounding there than you think)

Scoring 50 in a quarter.

:cool:

OR

Davion
Monk
Edwards
Sasha
Len

Scoring 40 in a quarter while holding the opposition to 20.

Surprised so many think Len won’t get the backup center minutes … so basically Mike Brown will make the same mistake back to back seasons? I think they need the rim protection & defense from that slot. I’m of the firm belief you never downsize “Center” when you are deep (especially when you’re not a good defensive team to begin with). You can mix/match other positions but have to be careful to do that with center. It would be different if Kings had dynamic defensive forwards but they don’t. Defense would suffer a lot if they commit to going small.

Dont change what’s not broken. Len excelled as the backup at the end of last season. Don’t agree he’s just for “big centers” either - he had the worst possible matchup in the playoffs with Warriors and still excelled & was a major plus in that series. Shouldn’t drop him. This will be the rotation when everyone’s healthy I think

pg - Fox 32, Mitchell 16
Sg - Huerter 22, Monk 26
Sf - Murray 30, Huerter 4, Barnes 14
Pf - Barnes - 10, Lyles 20, Sasha 18
C - Sabonis 32, Len 16

2nd half of season may cut it more.

duarte & Edwards will play when any 1 of the non-centers are injured. Surely someone will get hurt so they’ll get their minutes.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the takes.

Here's my fantasy lineup - which will probably never happen:

Fox
Monk
Huerter
Keegan
Sasha

(there's more rebounding there than you think)

Scoring 50 in a quarter.

:cool:

OR

Davion
Monk
Edwards
Sasha
Len

Scoring 40 in a quarter while holding the opposition to 20.
what makes you think Sasha would be on the defensive team?

from the limited tape on him and @serbiangoat and others comments I have never seen defense as a strength. Yes he can shoot the **** out of the ball but he has Luka’s defensive chops.

Having watched Mike start KZ to open the season and play Kessler big minutes later, I think those who don’t have Kessler with rotation minutes are off.

Keegan is going to be a primary offensive option, likely becoming the 2nd or 3rd offensive option. He won’t have energy to be the primary defensive option. It’s Barnes role as the primary defensive option / corner 3 guy you are trying to replace/upgrade. Currently we have only one person in the entire system who can be that guy: Edwards.

(he didn’t play as much as GS because the primary defensive match up was Curry and Davion is a better choice).

Maybe at some point, but barring an injury I'd be shocked if Barnes isn't in the starting lineup when the season starts.
I get it but where else are you going to upgrade as a team? Keegan has shown he is going to move past Barnes as an offensive option. That 4th or 5th option guy ideally is a great defender and that isn’t Barnes.

offensive options are likely:
1) Fox
2) Murray
3) Monk/Huerter
4) Sabonis
5) Barnes.

that 5th guy is ideally a 2/3/4 stopper defender whom you have to honor with the corner 3.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get it but where else are you going to upgrade as a team? Keegan has shown he is going to move past Barnes as an offensive option. That 4th or 5th option guy ideally is a great defender and that isn’t Barnes.

offensive options are likely:
1) Fox
2) Murray
3) Monk/Huerter
4) Sabonis
5) Barnes.

that 5th guy is ideally a 2/3/4 stopper defender whom you have to honor with the corner 3.
It might be logical to consider having HB come off the bench, but it won't happen. He's the most veteran player on the team, the only one with championship experience, just re-signed as the third highest paid player on the team, and has started every game he's played in for the last seven years.

If the team struggles I could see Brown experimenting with replacing him in the starting lineup, but again, I'd be shocked if he's not in the starting lineup for the first game next season.