Chris Duarte to Kings

Duerte is a good pickup. I thought at one time during the season, Duerte is going to turn into a hell of a player but for some reason he dropped off. His defense and ability to attack the basket is going to allow him to get minutes in the Brown system. Davion Monk and Duerte off the bench is better defensive lineup because now you have another guy that actually play defense and not a liability. This is of course assuming the rookies are struggling.

Well I dont think the SF spot is as barren as your depth chart looks because we have lots of players who can flex there, if Vezenkov is cooking at PF we can flex more of Barnes minutes to SF and then the minutes dry up quickly for the 3rd string SF's, we did see some Keegan at SG last season too, he can be flexed down more than most fans realize I think.. there's even the bizarre but true fact that Davion can guard some SF's.

Sabonis/Lyles/Queta
Barnes/Vezenkov/Murray/Edwards/Lyles
Murray/Barnes/Huerter/Jones/Duarte/Edwards
Huerter/Monk/Duarte/Jones/Ellis
Fox/Mitchell/Monk/Jones

But rather than a depth chart, what I see is we have a healthy competition brewing for shots and minutes, which is good going into camp.

Duarte and Colby Jones and Kessler Edwards... someones gonna get the lions share of those minutes... thats gonna be a battle, but also there's gonna be moments where each of their talents are best suited to help us, so its nice to have them all, we have control of these 3 guys too.. These players should be upgrades (I know Edwards was here but he should be better with a full offseason n some experience) n they should be complimentary and interchangable all 3 can defend multiple positions.
the bolded part is pure Kings homerism. Davion isn’t close to long enough to guard the 3 and we watched longer players rise up and shoot over him repeatedly unencumbered.

Duarte and Jones are battling for TD backup 2 guard minutes. It’s Slawson and Edwards who are long enough to guard 3 and will be trying to move Barnes to the bench.

the bolded part is pure Kings homerism. Davion isn’t close to long enough to guard the 3 and we watched longer players rise up and shoot over him repeatedly unencumbered.

Duarte and Jones are battling for TD backup 2 guard minutes. It’s Slawson and Edwards who are long enough to guard 3 and will be trying to move Barnes to the bench.
Pure homerism?

It is clearly stated "some SFs". Are you here trying to tell us he can't guard "ANY" SFs in the league?

Sometimes I just can't with this board... I'm counting my blessing every day that my team is running with professionals these days and not "homerism" hiring of ex-players or fans.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think I like Huerter more than most, but it makes some sense if the team wants to keep Monk long term to open up a starting spot for him.
The Peter Principle at work. This team is already challenged by height. Leave Monk where he is. In fact, if Monte were to trade Monk for a lengthy quality 4/5 I'd do it.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Interesting. Duarte was beloved in Indiana last season -- he really fell off quickly. I'm starting to see a pattern with these "boomerang" deals. Vlade didn't pick Doncic in the 2018 draft and then swooped up Harrison Barnes in a salary dump a year later when the chemistry wasn't working in Dallas. Monte trades Haliburton to Indiana in 2022 and then picks up Duarte for nothing a year later after his value tanked. I don't think it's intentional in these cases but it's got me wondering how many of these boomerang deals there have been and if anyone can think of a really good one?

I'm all for sifting for value.....if contract terms follow the Kings have a team option next year followed by a player option if he doesn't work out.

Improving the lower bench is important and probably somewhat overlooked.

Edwards is pretty close to Duarte athletically, although Duarte looks like a more polished shooter.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would seem that Colby Jones has a block ahead of him, after this trade. I wanted to see him get a good chance this upcoming season. Might be a while now
Maybe. I mean, it looks like Indiana just dumped Duarte to free up salary. He's a low risk flier for the Kings, not a definite foundational piece. I think whoever earns minutes will get them.

Maybe. I mean, it looks like Indiana just dumped Duarte to free up salary. He's a low risk flier for the Kings, not a definite foundational piece. I think whoever earns minutes will get them.
I wonder if teams have some type of telegram to let others know that certain players are available… I think Indy probably did us a solid with Duarte? Not sure his value is high at all, but the Sabonis trade probably made us their first call

This is the type of move Vecenie said we should be doing with the cap space if a swing isn’t there. We get a cost controlled young wing for 2 more years for 4 mil bucks. He will likely be a better player this year than anyone at #24. Certainly not a long term huge upside swing a lot of would like Monte take a crack at but this is his MO.

Monte has a habit of getting something of value for nothing. Terrence Davis, Delon Wright, Trey Lyles, DD, Kessler Edwards, and now Chris Duarte. Like it a lot. Our main hole now is a paint protector/rebounder, very interested to see what's the next move. Jalen McDaniels anyone?
Jalen would be another fun upside swing. Just let him Duarte, Jones and Kessler Duke it out for the 9-11 roles

Monte has a habit of getting something of value for nothing. Terrence Davis, Delon Wright, Trey Lyles, DD, Kessler Edwards, and now Chris Duarte. Like it a lot. Our main hole now is a paint protector/rebounder, very interested to see what's the next move. Jalen McDaniels anyone?
And almost forgot about Red Velvet!

Duarte and Sabonis remain friends. Also - Duarte’s dribble handle and efficiency numbers (league average) we’re pretty good when he was a rookie and Sabonis was on the floor. Not so much without Sabonis.

So - a young, athletic guy that has good chemistry with our offensive hub for controlled salary. That’s how you build a deep rotation.

Basically all true. I guess Monte either sees titles or figures just let the league settle and take a few cheap shots on talent.

Duarte and Sabonis remain friends. Also - Duarte’s dribble handle and efficiency numbers (league average) we’re pretty good when he was a rookie and Sabonis was on the floor. Not so much without Sabonis.

So - a young, athletic guy that has good chemistry with our offensive hub for controlled salary. That’s how you build a deep rotation.
Unless something changes, Duarte is going to find it quite hard to get any time. This is a why not move. Once Monte lost out on Beal he must have been like alright, lets just stay the course and go for value even if it doesn't really do much because of opportunity. This is basically what he did when drafting 2 PG's with Fox already here. The difference is they actually got to play. You can't keep adding to the back end of your rotation unless Brown is just going to play everyone 20-25 mpg around Fox and Sabonis. Which is possible but usually teams that do that are loaded with a HOF offensive duo.

Unless something changes, Duarte is going to find it quite hard to get any time. This is a why not move. Once Monte lost out on Beal he must have been like alright, lets just stay the course and go for value even if it doesn't really do much because of opportunity. This is basically what he did when drafting 2 PG's with Fox already here. The difference is they actually got to play. You can't keep adding to the back end of your rotation unless Brown is just going to play everyone 20-25 mpg around Fox and Sabonis. Which is possible but usually teams that do that are loaded with a HOF offensive duo.
Having serviceable depth is not bad.

In my opinion, you want to play? Earn it and knowing that there could be so many serviceable guys out there is great imo.

I still think we need just one studliish piece rather than like a back end depth piece but even a Bruce Brown would do for that.

I don't think we need a star but we need a little more talent

Having serviceable depth is not bad.

In my opinion, you want to play? Earn it and knowing that there could be so many serviceable guys out there is great imo.

I still think we need just one studliish piece rather than like a back end depth piece but even a Bruce Brown would do for that.

I don't think we need a star but we need a little more talent
Sure, but then Monte better get those pieces out of the way that get replaced. Which he's shown he will do with the PG conundrum. The great thing about depth is if you consolidate talent you have pieces already there waiting. The downside is when you wait too long you can create another Holmes scenario. The one on the radar now is Huerter. If Huerter falls back in the pack (which I don't expect) Monte better get out of that sooner than later and recoup some value out of him. Monk is a looming decision as well. If anything Duarte is actually a 2/3 which the Kings don't have a ton of so that could very easily bridge a gap if one of Huerter or Monk aren't here after next season. If there is a direct plan, this is a part of a consolidation type of move.

I was just coming on to ask this question..... Assuming Duarte replaces Terrance Davis, are we getting a better defensive/heady player than Davis? Davis can make plays, but often out of control and a rollercoaster (both offensively and defensively).
Duarte is naturally much more of a swingman sort of in between the SG and SF spots whereas Davis was much more of a combo guard for us. So I wouldnt assume him to be a direct replacement for TD and if I was going to I'd kind of think Colby Jones might be the one better suited to fill those shoes

Last edited:
Sure, but then Monte better get those pieces out of the way that get replaced. Which he's shown he will do with the PG conundrum. The great thing about depth is if you consolidate talent you have pieces already there waiting. The downside is when you wait too long you can create another Holmes scenario. The one on the radar now is Huerter. If Huerter falls back in the pack (which I don't expect) Monte better get out of that sooner than later and recoup some value out of him. Monk is a looming decision as well. If anything Duarte is actually a 2/3 which the Kings don't have a ton of so that could very easily bridge a gap if one of Huerter or Monk aren't here after next season. If there is a direct plan, this is a part of a consolidation type of move.
Yea in this scenario I don't think it creates a glut like the fox Hali Davion situation so in this scenario I think it's all the better.

I see Duarte is kind of competing with Colby Jones for minutes at the moment, perhaps Kessler Edwards as well although I think Kessler can play more of a 3-4?

I don't know much about Chris Duarte and whether he can flex up to a 4 not sure but if not I guess his main competition would be Colby Jones.

But you are right that depth could be bad in the scenario that you have talent that's not really able to showcase their talent due to gluts on the roster.

In that case you lose out on value which kind of sucks.

In this case though I think we're alright

Yea in this scenario I don't think it creates a glut like the fox Hali Davion situation so in this scenario I think it's all the better.

I see Duarte is kind of competing with Colby Jones for minutes at the moment, perhaps Kessler Edwards as well although I think Kessler can play more of a 3-4?

I don't know much about Chris Duarte and whether he can flex up to a 4 not sure but if not I guess his main competition would be Colby Jones.

But you are right that depth could be bad in the scenario that you have talent that's not really able to showcase their talent due to gluts on the roster.

In that case you lose out on value which kind of sucks.

In this case though I think we're alright
Colby Jones averaged almost 5 assists per game last season for Xavier.
I think, perhaps, whats being overlooked is that the Platoon of Malik Monk and Colby Jones might be able to handle the 3rd string PG duties. Jones being 6'6" and listed at SG maybe that has thrown people off the scent of this being a possibility. We did play Terence Davis at PG in elimination playoff games so honestly I couldnt rule this out just yet, cuz generally speaking I'd sure trust Jones PG skills over TD's, he's far more natural, TD is a guy you put out there at PG and say "now lets hope he doesnt make mistakes, shoots 3's and defends well"..

Now if this is the case, Jones and Duarte dont overlap on the depth chart or step on each others toes quite as much as you might think. It'd be Edwards functioning as a combo forward, Jones a combo guard and Duarte the swingman.

Last edited: