Jake Fisher article: Sabonis extension expected to be around 4years/120 million

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Barnes’ likely departure from Sacramento, coupled with the Kings creating roughly $35 million in cap space following the draft night trade of Holmes and the No. 24 pick to Dallas, has rival front offices wondering what big swing the Kings are planning in free agency. Outright selling a first-round pick for savings, even in this economy, left many league personnel of the mind that Sacramento has a specific move up its sleeve — not just renegotiating and extending All-NBA center Domantas Sabonis for what’s expected to be in the ballpark of four years, $120 million, sources said.

Sacramento going after Bucks All-Star guard Khris Middleton has been a popular theory floated by league figures, but all signs are pointing to Milwaukee and Middleton finalizing a new agreement once free agency begins Friday after Middleton declined his 2023-24 player option last week. The Kings and head coach Mike Brown stealing Draymond Green from the Warriors would be quite the story, while Portland and Detroit are also expected to make plays for Green, sources said. Although all indications continue to point to Green returning to the franchise he’s won four championships with.

The name that’s gained plenty of momentum as a potential Sacramento target is Kuzma, who once thrived down the road in Los Angeles and was nearly dealt to the Kings in 2021 before the Lakers rerouted Kuzma to the Wizards instead and acquired Russell Westbrook. Even with a new deal for Sabonis, plus the Kings expectation to bring back versatile forward Trey Lyles, sources said, Sacramento could have more than $25 million to play with in cap room, according to salary projections provided to Yahoo Sports.
4/120 is waaaaay less than the max and if that’s all it took, Monte would be dumb not to just get pen put to paper as soon as he possible could.

also fret not, people concerned we weren’t being Trey back. It looks like that’s still a priority.

Last edited:
Just to emphasize this: 4-120 is roughly the same deal Kuzma is currently reported to be looking for in free agency
Jerami Grant wants MORE lol.

I'm not entirely sure why he would ink such a discount, but I'm guessing it's to really put down roots for his family and lock in this situation. Also speaks to the Kings org too; who woulda thought a top 20 NBA player would be willing to take a massive discount to stay?

I hope this is true but I think Jake made an error in this report. If somehow it is true, we could have the full 35 mil to spend and if it ends up being Kuzma, maybe you talk him into a 21 24 27 30 deal and you would have 14 m to go sign another guy at slightly above the mid level

I would be SHOCKED if 4/120 was the final number on a Sabonis extension lol.
Sometimes players really do want to win a ring and are willing to take a more "reasonable" deal in order to spread the money around to the rest of the guys he'll be playing with. Certainly would match his behavior on the court.

120M will still buy you a nice bottle of wine in Napa.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yes, as all are saying, 4/120 is a strange number. We wouldn't even have to renegotiatie this year at all to get up to that value (with the usual 8% raises). In fact, it's basically the max (4/123) we could do without any renegotiation. My guess is that somebody is running with that no-renego max and totally whiffing on the alleged reason we opened up cap space.

Yes, as all are saying, 4/120 is a strange number. We wouldn't even have to renegotiatie this year at all to get up to that value (with the usual 8% raises). In fact, it's basically the max (4/123) we could do without any renegotiation. My guess is that somebody is running with that no-renego max and totally whiffing on the alleged reason we opened up cap space.
the weird part is he says “renegotiate and extend” in the article.

I'm not entirely sure why he would ink such a discount, but I'm guessing it's to really put down roots for his family and lock in this situation. Also speaks to the Kings org too; who woulda thought a top 20 NBA player would be willing to take a massive discount to stay?
If the KINGS are going to overpay for a player that’s in no way going to put them over the top, please let it be Jerami Grant and not that other crap player.

If the KINGS are going to overpay for a player that’s in no way going to put them over the top, please let it be Jerami Grant and not that other crap player.
I think you're being a little bit harsh, but I agree to an extent. I think it would be better to pay a player like Grant 30-35, than a Kuzma 25-30. Both would help overall though.

I'll believe the Kuzma thing when I see it. Toughness, defense and competitive spirit aren't exactly the adjectives that are heard in talk about Kuzma.
Well, there's smoke because the Kings technically did trade for him once. Apparently. Now, the question is what were the reasons behind that? I mean, the Kings were trying to unload Buddy so who knows if they were targeting Kuz specifically.

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/...reviously-traded-to-the-kings-for-buddy-hield

I can't remember the exact timelines but supposedly the Kings and Lakers were discussing THT first and the Kings rebuffed. The teams settled on Montrez and Kuz IIRC. If the Kings were specifically targeting Kuz I think there would have been some way to get him prior to now. Waiting 2 years until FA could be a plan, but if you really, really want a player you make it happen. Like Monte did with Domas. The Kings have been tied to Collins, who went for nothing. Grant, who is also out there now but then went for a 1st and cap space but really not a lot, but something I think the Kings could offer in return when it came to cap space.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, there's smoke because the Kings technically did trade for him once. Apparently. Now, the question is what were the reasons behind that? I mean, the Kings were trying to unload Buddy so who knows if they were targeting Kuz specifically.

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/...reviously-traded-to-the-kings-for-buddy-hield

I can't remember the exact timelines but supposedly the Kings and Lakers were discussing THT first and the Kings rebuffed. The teams settled on Montrez and Kuz IIRC. If the Kings were specifically targeting Kuz I think there would have been some way to get him prior to now. Waiting 2 years until FA could be a plan, but if you really, really want a player you make it happen. Like Monte did with Domas. The Kings have been tied to Collins, who went for nothing. Grant, who is also out there now but then went for a 1st and cap space but really not a lot, but something I think the Kings could offer in return when it came to cap space.
I just don't see the fit. If the Kings need more physicality, toughness, length and defense at the 4 Kuzma isn't the first player that comes to mind. As you imply, maybe a few years ago he would have made more sense, especially because he would have allowed the Kings to unload Hield, but with the current roster I don't see how he fits. I'll take a player like Grant Williams any day over a Kuzma.

I think you're being a little bit harsh, but I agree to an extent. I think it would be better to pay a player like Grant 30-35, than a Kuzma 25-30. Both would help overall though.
How am I being harsh?

Someone needs to explain to me WTF does Kyle freaking Kuzma bring to the table? Some defensive rebounding?? What else???

People on this site complain about De'Aaron Fox' 3-point shooting. Well guess what? Kuzma pretty much matches him on that front. It's a marginal 1 percent difference.

So now we'll have TWO starters to complain about WRT to 3-point shooting?

Someone needs to explain to me why in the world it's a great idea to drastically overpay for a stretch 4 that (a) isn't a good 3-point shooter and is only marginally better than our star player that fans already complain about not being a good enough 3-point threat (b) isn't a top tier defensive addition nor has ever been considered a defensive player (c) that provides nothing special to put this team over the top?

It seems to me some are so enamored with 6-9 wings that they overvalue many of them.

I mean, you just tried to sell me that Richaun Holmes at 11-12M per season was the WORST contract in the league. Kuzma at 25-30M per would be the ultimate albatross contact. The dude does NOTHING special to warrant that kind of deal.

Being a decent defensive rebounder doesn't in any way justify that contact. Nor does scoring 20+ point on a bad team on low 30's three point shooting. Lots of players can do that.

Our own Harrison Barnes can do that. And is a much better 3-point shooter (and defender) while doing it. Yet many here want to run him off the team. All to pay some dude even MORE money because he's, what, 1 inch taller?? But isn't even as good as HB.

The only thing he does "marginally" better than HB is defensive rebounding. And even then his career average is like 1 more rebound per game.

This fascination with Kuzma is beyond belief. But especially the willingness to pay the dude 7-12M more per season than HB was getting on his last contact.

For that, the dude better be a significant upgrade. In some area. But he's not.

At least Jerami grant would provide something the team doesn't really have. And he's an apt defender and does shoot the 3 ball at a respectable 36% career wise (was over 40% last season).

Is Grant worth that money?? I don't believe so. But he's much more worthy of it than Kuzma.

Last edited:

I fully expect DS to give a discount to benefit the team but not that kind of discount.That just seems unrealistically low

Awesome! I hope so. I don't like when numbers are leaked out before deals are sealed and delivered but if we can keep Sabonis for less than the max, i think that's HUGE!

I can not see any possible way that an all NBA player and a multiple all Star would be making "only" 30 mil a year for the prime 4 years of his career.And like I have said , him taking a discount is my expectation considering how invested he seems in the team( not playing for national team is quite a big indication of him viewing next season as extremely important, Lithuanians usually always play except big Z)but still that's way too low

I can not see any possible way that an all NBA player and a multiple all Star would be making "only" 30 mil a year for the prime 4 years of his career.And like I have said , him taking a discount is my expectation considering how invested he seems in the team( not playing for national team is quite a big indication of him viewing next season as extremely important, Lithuanians usually always play except big Z)but still that's way too low
It may be way too low in this market (I agree)... but five years ago this was premium.

I don't mean to be dramatic... but the next two years represent perhaps the BEST opportunity for Domas and the Kings to win a championship. You hear them talk about how youth is their strength and they can outrun teams? That has an expiration date. And that date is not five years from now. The time is over to keep planning for "when" the right time is. The time is now. If Domas taking a discount helps the team to sign even one more crucial piece, I wouldn't put it past him to make that calculation and tell Monte to go get it. Just sayin!!

Last edited: