Kings after OG

OG could not be a more seamless fit, but I'm going to be furious if Keegan is included in any trade this summer. Anything without Keegan? Eh, I might complain a bit, but as long as you're adding to Fox/Domas/Keegan, it'll probably end up being okay.
It's probably a salary thing for Toronto. Expiring salaries and a draft pick most likely.

Obviously, their biggest key is to be healthy come playoff time. They still have to make the playoffs. The Lakers had more depth last season (and theirs sucked prior to the trade), and it still took an astronomical amount of help from the refs for them just to make the play in. The Suns starters have to stay healthy or they are in a lot of trouble IMO.
It was a short sample size but when KD played they were 8-0. Be mindful if not flat out scared if you're an opposing GM looking to bump up to the next level.

A 4? I've always thought that Annunoby was primarily a starting 3. Isn't that where he has played with Toronto, with Barnes or Siakam at the 4?
The Raptors are all kinds of janky as far as fit. They don't fit and yet they keep squashing the potential of Barnes who actually is a point F in the mold of a Giannis type at his peak to keep that team intact. OG is like Murray, he's a F. The real stars at F are the ones like Tatum/Brown, KD, Bron, soon to be Banchero probably where they are F size but really play like a guard. Guard skills are all over the top 25-30 of the NBA's top scorers. The Kings now just kind of have two F's. Is Barnes the 3? Is Murray? Eh, doesn't really matter. They're actually both closer to what used to be called small ball 4's although Barnes treads into some floor game you'd see from a guard. Neither can truly play G though and neither is playing C. Brown typically has Barnes guarding the stronger player although I still think Murray's length is much better off closer to the rim.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If we get og and keep keegan, does that negate what phx just did? I would think our roster would be more balanced despite the star power of phx
We had two All-NBA players this season which should put us in the conversation already for top dog in the West next year. It won't because we're Sacramento and the conversation starts and ends with big markets (and shiny new toys) but Fox and Sabonis are worthy of that level of respect.

Keegan also needs to take another step foreward which isn't guaranteed and OG would need to contend for DPOY like he was at the start of this past season. Obviously I'm biased but if both of those things happen, I'd take the Kings with OG over the Suns. Mike Brown was unanimous coach of the year for a reason. I'd love to see what he can do with a defender like Anunoby.

We had two All-NBA players this season which should put us in the conversation already for top dog in the West next year. It won't because we're Sacramento and the conversation starts and ends with big markets (and shiny new toys) but Fox and Sabonis are worthy of that level of respect.

Keegan also needs to take another step forward which isn't guaranteed and OG would need to contend for DPOY like he was at the start of this past season. Obviously I'm biased but if both of those things happen, I'd take the Kings with OG over the Suns. Mike Brown was unanimous coach of the year for a reason. I'd love to see what he can do with a defender like Anunoby.
Just think what Anunoby could do when paired with Kessler Edwards! Then Coach Brown would have some real stoppers on the court when he needs to protect a lead or get a rally going.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Raptors are all kinds of janky as far as fit. They don't fit and yet they keep squashing the potential of Barnes who actually is a point F in the mold of a Giannis type at his peak to keep that team intact. OG is like Murray, he's a F. The real stars at F are the ones like Tatum/Brown, KD, Bron, soon to be Banchero probably where they are F size but really play like a guard. Guard skills are all over the top 25-30 of the NBA's top scorers. The Kings now just kind of have two F's. Is Barnes the 3? Is Murray? Eh, doesn't really matter. They're actually both closer to what used to be called small ball 4's although Barnes treads into some floor game you'd see from a guard. Neither can truly play G though and neither is playing C. Brown typically has Barnes guarding the stronger player although I still think Murray's length is much better off closer to the rim.
I think that will change as Murray gets physically stronger. He still seems a lot more like a 4/3 to me than a 3/4, especially long term, but we'll see.

Keegan also needs to take another step foreward which isn't guaranteed and OG would need to contend for DPOY like he was at the start of this past season. Obviously I'm biased but if both of those things happen, I'd take the Kings with OG over the Suns. Mike Brown was unanimous coach of the year for a reason. I'd love to see what he can do with a defender like Anunoby.
Calling it now: Kings Nugs WCF in epic showdown. Kings in 7.

If we do make a trade for OG I wonder if we will hear anything before our pick.
I think OG is going to end up staying. Sounds like the Raps are already putting out the noise as an excuse as to why they're going to be running back their team again. My bigger question is I wonder if the Raps don't relent if that causes Monte to try and really open up a bit more cap space using that pick. Once OG is gone that means trades are out and it might be time to make a play in FA for some like Grant or Kuz (hopefully not Kuz). To do that though he's going to need more space likely.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Man, Masai really just running on autopilot/simulate season at this point.
How in the hell are you going to watch this roster flounder for two straight seasons and decide to just run things back again like the problem is solved?
We hired a new coach who could handle either a full rebuild and growth or manage a contender!

So we'll do neither.

The Suns 4 is extremely extremely good, but this isn't a Warriors with KD scenario at all where it was basically 100% guaranteed they'd win the title if they all stayed healthy. There's a lot of injury concern they have to fade, they have to get Ayton back to his 2020 playoff levels, they have to field somewhat of a roster and depth chart.

Obviously need to see the rest of the off-season, but I do think they'll be comfortably like a top 3ish team to start the year. But certainly not an unbeatable juggernaut.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone is just pretending Chris Paul fell off for some reason? He was better than Beal last year and he's the engine that makes Ayton go when they want to. Hard to rely on 38 year old CP3 to keep it up for sure, but I think you could pretty easily make the case that this move probably makes them worse next season than if they just held CP3 one more year. After that? Sure, Beal gives you more value.

How in the hell are you going to watch this roster flounder for two straight seasons and decide to just run things back again like the problem is solved?
Especially for a team that isn't a contender. They have the talent to be a playoff team but so what. I personally still think Barnes can be the kind of talent that if used right could be 1B for any team. With all the skills he's got it would be one of the easiest things possible to build around him too. When I watched Toronto it seemed like with one of OG or Siakam next to him Barnes was more comfortable. With both he faded a bit.

The Suns 4 is extremely extremely good, but this isn't a Warriors with KD scenario at all where it was basically 100% guaranteed they'd win the title if they all stayed healthy. There's a lot of injury concern they have to fade, they have to get Ayton back to his 2020 playoff levels, they have to field somewhat of a roster and depth chart.

Obviously need to see the rest of the off-season, but I do think they'll be comfortably like a top 3ish team to start the year. But certainly not an unbeatable juggernaut.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone is just pretending Chris Paul fell off for some reason? He was better than Beal last year and he's the engine that makes Ayton go when they want to. Hard to rely on 38 year old CP3 to keep it up for sure, but I think you could pretty easily make the case that this move probably makes them worse next season than if they just held CP3 one more year. After that? Sure, Beal gives you more value.
I mentioned earlier, I think the Suns offense last year was actually better in terms of net ratings when Booker ran PG. Vogel is a good coach, he'll figure it out. And with the ability to run point from all 3 of their big 3, it's not going to be hard. You just iso one up top, set screen, repeat. They can all do everything you could ask from a modern star with almost no weakness offensively.

As for titles, that takes a lot the only thing we can care about is that the Kings can build upon last year, and not fall back at all. The goal is at the very least more than 48 and advancing in the playoffs. With trades like this and the ones made at the deadline it makes it tougher.

We're going to "Run it Back" is code name for "y'all better improve yo' damn offers"! LMAO

I think the "noise" about the Raptors wanting to keep Anunoby is meant to raise the price of a trade higher. They cannot afford to have the guy just walk at the end of next season--it would be a disaster.
i agree but unless OG told them he won’t come back I still don’t understand why they don’t build around Barnes and OG and trade Siakam. His contract is coming up soon if I remember right and he is older. Barnes OG, their only lottery pick this year and the haul they could get for pascal would be a really solid start for a rebuild.

I think the "noise" about the Raptors wanting to keep Anunoby is meant to raise the price of a trade higher. They cannot afford to have the guy just walk at the end of next season--it would be a disaster.
Who knows with Masai though, they may very well be letting their star PG walk this year. I guess we shall find out. It will be interesting to see what they do with Poeltl as well.

i agree but unless OG told them he won’t come back I still don’t understand why they don’t build around Barnes and OG and trade Siakam. His contract is coming up soon if I remember right and he is older. Barnes OG, their only lottery pick this year and the haul they could get for pascal would be a really solid start for a rebuild.
Well the easy answer is because they are already giving up some of the cap space they could use to build around Barnes. I agree though, I don't know if they need to move both OG and Siakam but together it always looked like Barnes was less of an option.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

I think the key for the Suns is finding a way to unlock Ayton's potential. If Vogel can run more of the offense through Ayton and take advantage of his ability to isolate and drive or pick and pop with all those other weapons on the floor they'll be a real problem for the rest of the league. If it's going to be Booker, Beal, and KD taking turns firing up jumpers while Ayton is a $30 million per year rebounder I see them continuing to disappoint.