Sasha Watch 2022-2023

if I’m reading that correctly that is 23 mil plus the room exception (around 6 mil) no? In other words 29 mil
Yeah, I think Tim is thinking you go sign Vezenkov with the room and then take a massive swing for like a Cam Johnson/Kyle Kuzma (ugh)/Jerami Grant type guy with the 23 mil. I'd rather value hunt though than really overpay that Kuzma/Jerami Grant tier.

Ok I'm geeking out on this. Dirk and Curry -esque. I almost never see this in the NBA.

Look at the angle of his body when he catches - I said before he "wasn't fully square" - dude was exactly 90° perpendicular to the hoop. Immediately rises - squares up PERFECTLY in the air and at the moment of release his shoulders are 100% square to the hoop.

He is twisting in the air before the shot, and uses his legs like gyroscopic rudders to hold square to the basket during release. That's phenomenal.

Here's the sequence:

View attachment 11939

View attachment 11940

View attachment 11941

View attachment 11942
Couple of more things that make it more impressive - the shot clock was winding down and he was covered. Still swished the shot.

Yeah, I think Tim is thinking you go sign Vezenkov with the room and then take a massive swing for like a Cam Johnson/Kyle Kuzma (ugh)/Jerami Grant type guy with the 23 mil. I'd rather value hunt though than really overpay that Kuzma/Jerami Grant tier.
I have a gut feeling Monte will be conservative with that 23-29 mil. I don't think we'll see any big splash moves. I think with this roster you need to let them cook a bit - especially Keegan. I have predicted previously that by the end of next year Keegan will be our clear number three - and a borderline all star the year after that. If you lock in a Kuzma or Grant - you end up having a crowded roster and misallocation of capital if your star rookie goes where everyone thinks he can go.

This looks like the cleanest route to get everything done. Lyles back on a good deal and we get $23 mil to split between Vezenkov and a Naz Reid type of FA. I believe this holds onto the TO for Edwards as well, which I think is a must after the flashes he had with us.

Fox || Davion
Huerter || Monk
Keegan || Edwards
Naz || Vezenkov
Sabonis || Lyles

and hopefully you could work out keeping Queta as the 3rd C and continue to develop Keon Ellis in Stockton.
IMHO, I can't see the Kings stretching Holmes. It's not like he is complaining and being a distraction to the team. He always seemed like a team player to me.

His contract actually becomes a big asset next summer and an even bigger asset at the next year trade deadline.

IMHO, I can't see the Kings stretching Holmes. It's not like he is complaining and being a distraction to the team. He always seemed like a team player to me.

His contract actually becomes a big asset next summer and an even bigger asset at the next year trade deadline.
Meh, not really. We had a pile of expiring this year too and nothing came of it.

If the money freed up from stretching Holmes gets you a useful player for the next few years, you do it. The Kings basically won't be an under the cap team past next season anyway

I have a gut feeling Monte will be conservative with that 23-29 mil. I don't think we'll see any big splash moves. I think with this roster you need to let them cook a bit - especially Keegan. I have predicted previously that by the end of next year Keegan will be our clear number three - and a borderline all star the year after that. If you lock in a Kuzma or Grant - you end up having a crowded roster and misallocation of capital if your star rookie goes where everyone thinks he can go.
Unless Monte was always deadset on re-signing Barnes I expect Monte to be in mid stream when it comes to "his" plan. He's known what that cap will afford him this summer and likely how quickly it will close. The time is now. If he's after Kuz I question his opinion of Kuz as a talent but not Monte's plan by any stretch. It's very rare when you have a team with two all stars, a franchise that turned around pretty effectively by FINALLY riding one of them rather than jerking them around, a recent number 4 pick to help that build, and potential space to add to it. Keegan developing into that or not shouldn't be affected by any signings. However, I will say this, in looking at Sasha, I can see the potential there for Brown to choose between Sasha and Keegan at times. They effectively fill the same roles in some ways unless one can replace Harrisons ability to draw contact and create in iso.

Meh, not really. We had a pile of expiring this year too and nothing came of it.

If the money freed up from stretching Holmes gets you a useful player for the next few years, you do it. The Kings basically won't be an under the cap team past next season anyway
And Monte has so far been pretty direct in what he's done. Like letting Bogdan go. That was never even a question in his mind from the looks of it. Thank goodness he didn't re-sign him. Otherwise, both he AND Hield are possibly sitting on his cap to this day if it continued to make both look lesser.

Unless Monte was always deadset on re-signing Barnes I expect Monte to be in mid stream when it comes to "his" plan. He's known what that cap will afford him this summer and likely how quickly it will close. The time is now. If he's after Kuz I question his opinion of Kuz as a talent but not Monte's plan by any stretch. It's very rare when you have a team with two all stars, a franchise that turned around pretty effectively by FINALLY riding one of them rather than jerking them around, a recent number 4 pick to help that build, and potential space to add to it. Keegan developing into that or not shouldn't be affected by any signings. However, I will say this, in looking at Sasha, I can see the potential there for Brown to choose between Sasha and Keegan at times. They effectively fill the same roles in some ways unless one can replace Harrisons ability to draw contact and create in iso.
I think Sasha replaces Barnes (and I love Barnes). And I think Monte targets interior defense, rebounding, and shot blocking like a Hartenstien (is he a FA?) to plug the biggest skill hole on the roster.

When you have Mike Brown blaming the loss against the Ws in the post game presser on lack of offensive rebounding - you can bet dollars to donuts we'll be looking to add that any way we can.

A roster like that will give you flexibility to put shooters shooters shooters on the floor, or throw out a Hartenstien and Sabonis if you need to lock down the glass. We needed both against Golden State.

Last edited:
Keegan has maybe the three most important and unteachable qualities of a contemporary NBA player - size, elite shooting, and professionalism. Most everything else can be taught and refined from that foundation. All-star next year would be nice but over the next 10 years he might have a ceiling higher than any player who's ever worn a Sacramento jersey

I think Sasha replaces Barnes. And I think Monte targets interior defense, rebounding, and shot blocking like a Hartenstien (is he a FA?) to plug the biggest skill hole on the roster.

When you have Mike Brown blaming the loss against the Ws in the post game presser on lack of offensive rebounding - you can be dollars to donuts we'll be looking to add that any way we can.

A roster like that will give you flexibility to put shooters shooters shooters on the floor, or throw out a Hartenstien and Sabonis if you need to lock down the glass. We needed both against Golden State.
For sure part of it was offensive rebounding, but I don't think Monte thinks that's the hole after watching his presser. Size? Yes. Especially on the wing. Monte even pretty much said as much any GM will about how small the Kings played with those G units at times. Monte also seemed to understand what the result told him. They have a major leap to go. 48 wins and 3 seeds don't usually happen and it most likely for sure won't next year and the teams figuring they could capitalize on it did exactly that. 2 seed and 3 seed fell to the teams thinking it was all pixie dust and illusion. Sasha could replace Barnes but that's a gamble. What if Sasha gets to the line as much as Keegan has thusfar? What if he also doesn't show up in the iso stats? That's a huge hit for a team looking outgunned once the playoffs started. I do think Sasha, and even Keegan if used right possess that ability. I will say, I don't see Keegan hitting those contested jumpers Sasha does. I can see Keegan driving that defender, getting to his spin drop step and either drawing contact or getting a layup though.

Keegan has maybe the three most important and unteachable qualities of a contemporary NBA player - size, elite shooting, and professionalism. Most everything else can be taught and refined from that foundation. All-star next year would be nice but over the next 10 years he might have a ceiling higher than any player who's ever worn a Sacramento jersey
Well stated.

I'll add that it took him three games to get his sea legs in the playoffs - as a rookie. After that he was back to ridiculous shooting %s and pretty darn good defense and rebounding.

Possibly, but we shall see. Monte gave Holmes that contract, so it’s not like it was a leftover Vlade contract. So I think Monte will try to either use his contract in a trade as salary filler or let it run its course. I think Monte had already said during the season that he would not stretch Holmes contract.

Well stated.

I'll add that it took him three games to get his sea legs in the playoffs - as a rookie. After that he was back to ridiculous shooting %s and pretty darn good defense and rebounding.
There was a vocal disappearing act betting kinda guy who was around this board in the before times who argued with me that Murray was a Barnes clone, and I countered that Murray would be a better and more clutch player than Barnes.

Paydirt. Murray gonna be ok.

I'm not sold on Vezenkov. I appreciate what he is doing, but his defense STINKS. It's putrid. He will only be playable when matchups dictate it, or when you need an offensive shot in the arm.

Vezenkov is no Murray, and neither is he a Barnes on defense or getting to the line. Pinning your hopes on him being anything other than a sparkplug shooter is a fools errand.

I think Sasha replaces Barnes (and I love Barnes). And I think Monte targets interior defense, rebounding, and shot blocking like a Hartenstien (is he a FA?) to plug the biggest skill hole on the roster.

When you have Mike Brown blaming the loss against the Ws in the post game presser on lack of offensive rebounding - you can bet dollars to donuts we'll be looking to add that any way we can.

Sasha replaces Lyles at PF not Barnes imo, Murray will have to replace Barnes if the Kings let him go.

You might be right but Sasha's lack of defense is worrisome as a starter. I guess you can start him if you're ready to sit him and bring Lyles in and maybe even plan on starting Lyles down the road if Sasha just can't get the hang of defense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
For those worried about defense, compare is and Denver or just look at their core
Jokic is not good at D
Porter Jr is really not good at D
J Murray, unless I’m mistaken is not good or average. Maybe I’m missing the mark there
Gordon is good, Brown is good, etc

I think you can use Sasha 100% but you will need to make sure you have defensive pieces in place to mix and match
I don’t see a problem with it.

For those worried about defense, compare is and Denver or just look at their core
Jokic is not good at D
Porter Jr is really not good at D
J Murray, unless I’m mistaken is not good or average. Maybe I’m missing the mark there
Gordon is good, Brown is good, etc

I think you can use Sasha 100% but you will need to make sure you have defensive pieces in place to mix and match
I don’t see a problem with it.
And if Sasha is able to play PF he should have more than enough lateral footspeed to be fine. Certainly no worse than someone like Metu or Lyles.

If we drafted Kris, I feel like we'd have to blow up the team to go get Dejounte Murray and Jamal Murray. Can't pass up the Murray-Murray-Murray-Murray starting lineup
I'm more committed to the pipedream of an all left-handed starting lineup and sixth man off the bench. :D

I think we'd need to get Julius Randle, Kelly Oubre, draft Kris Murray and bring over Sasha Vezenkov to be a few steps closer.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Then the question is whether or not Sasha is so good that he simply replaces one of the other sieves. He might just be. If he's even a total sieve at all.
I mean, Barnes is certainly a sieve..... maybe Sasha at the 4 is the move if Monte is confident in his ability to be more reliable on offense in "big moments" even if he's just as useless on D.

I'd prefer bringing either of those guys off the bench (if we do keep Barnes) if we can somehow get a 4 who can defend and stretch the floor - much easier said than done.