[Game] Sacramento Kings (3) vs Golden State Warriors (6) (WCDS Game 2, 1-0) 4/14/2023 7:00pm Pacific 10:00pm Eastern (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I know it's been a long time, but I didn't think we had local broadcasts anymore during the playoffs.
We didn't for Game 1. But yeah, it's been a long time.

For some bizarre reason the official NBC Sports Net website's TV listings are broken. I found a zero-reputation random TV listings website that says NBC Sports Net California is carrying the game. I guess we'll see?

I had to drive into SF for work this morning. I had a good idea what Dave and Jason would be saying on 1140, so I decided to listen in to KNBR 680, listening from about 5:15-8:30 (sigh, why does it have to take 3+ hours to get from Sac to SF on a weekday morning...) I also read some Warriors fan posts once I got to the office to see if the radio takes were consistent. My takeaways from hosts, callers, and posters:

1) the Warriors played poorly and the Kings played well, and despite that, and despite a huge home court, the Kings only won by 3
2) Klay WILL shoot better
3) Wiggins WILL shoot better
4) Steph WILL be more impactful
5) Looney and Green WILL continue to shut down Sabonis
6) Kuminga WILL have at least 1-2 monster games where he will flip the game completely
7) GPII and Wiggins WILL lock up Fox tonight
8) Kings fans are irrational to think Sabonis will play better because see #5.
9) Kings fans should not expect more from Keegan (a rookie) or Huerter (a guy who shrank from the big moment)
10) Barnes will not play better than that, and we are lucky he hit such a big, out of character shot
11) Lyles will never play like that again. See #6 and Kuminga is better.
12) The Warriors will have a plan to take away Fox, Sabonis, and Monk, and not let any of the other guys get going. In short, they can take away everything we do offensively, without leaving any gaps to let anyone get going, because they are the Warriors

So basically, it is a given that every one of their players will play better, and also a given that all of our players have played their best games of the series.
The reason we've been so hard to stop offensively this year is you can't key in on one or 2 guys to stop and expect our offense to slow down. One of Fox or Sabonis have to be rolling for sure. But if Monk or Lyles are off tonight? It's very likely Keegan and Huerter get back to their norm and pick them up. The Kings have 7 guys in their 9 man rotation that can be a real impact offensively. Occasionally Davion too, but it's clear he'll have his hands full chasing Steph and Poole around. There's just no game-planning to stop all 7. Basically, just have to hope for an off shooting night and that Fox/Domas aren't sharp.

A- I live in Tokyo
B- started out as a performer, now have pretty much shifted to a lot of behind the scenes stuff (translation/fixing/editing/etc.). Just got done helping with the edits and revisions for the subtitles for a pretty big (in a sense) guys in suits fighting guys in monster suits movie that got picked up for North American release last week. This meeting’s for a bit role in some dude’s indie movie that I’m mainly doing as a favor for a friend. In addition to all that I also am a professional (whatever the hell that means) ramen cook and teach the occasional English class (mainly at this point just private lessons for friends more than as an occupation because I don’t have the patience for that anymore lol)
OMG your Ultraman!

We didn't for Game 1. But yeah, it's been a long time.

For some bizarre reason the official NBC Sports Net website's TV listings are broken. I found a zero-reputation random TV listings website that says NBC Sports Net California is carrying the game. I guess we'll see?
ABC has full rights to the games on their broadcasts. There will be home broadcasts for TNT games.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
In the prior game I kept looking at Warrior faces in the game or on the bench and I know it's a very subjective thing, but I didn't see a lot of happy faces out there. They didn't look like they were having fun to me. They had a look of concern on their faces, like they knew they were in for a royal battle that was going to take everything they had in order to (possibly) come out on top. Curry, of course, did his schtick of hand and facial gestures that he does after making baskets, but I got the feeling that it was forced and fake. Once he went to the bench he looked spent and concerned. On the other hand, I saw Fox with more swag out there than I've seen all season. On one occasion he came off the floor with a strut that I loved to see. I like where the Kings are psychologically right now, and if I'm a Warrior's fan I'd be a little worried.

Lets go!! I'm not sure Poole potentially being out is a good thing. He can heat up quick, but personally doesn't seem like a winning player for them.

Someone else needs to get hot from 3 as I don't think we can count on Fox's three point shot falling as well as it did in the second half of game 1. We'll definitely need better shooting from Kevin and Keegan in this one. If nobody is hitting, I wouldn't mind seeing TD get a 5 minute run just to see if we get "good" TD. When he's on fire he can turn a game in a hurry.

I think we see an even higher scoring game tonight than in Game 1. Kings know they need to try to bury them with an offensive onslaught.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I had to drive into SF for work this morning. I had a good idea what Dave and Jason would be saying on 1140, so I decided to listen in to KNBR 680, listening from about 5:15-8:30 (sigh, why does it have to take 3+ hours to get from Sac to SF on a weekday morning...) I also read some Warriors fan posts once I got to the office to see if the radio takes were consistent. My takeaways from hosts, callers, and posters:

1) the Warriors played poorly and the Kings played well, and despite that, and despite a huge home court, the Kings only won by 3
I will kind of ignore the rest because everything the dubs fans believe pretty much rests on this fallacy.

Allow me to retort:
Steph played lights out, and the Warriors got contributions from guys that casual fans would say was "unexpected". And actually even legends like Doris frankly, since she was hyping the Warriors up during the period the Warriors had a comfortable lead. Steph is still playing near his prime when he has to. The other guys not so much. Maybe Wiggins will warm up a bit and play better but I'm really struggling on how much room for improvement this team has without turning back the clock 3-4 years vs. the Kings who just played their first playoff game in 17 years and had a lot of learning to do in 48 minutes.

The Kings succumbed to the moment early. A few of the guys never got out of the funk because the team did not have time to allow Kevin and Keegan to shoot out their slumps. Domas had one of those quiet double-doubles where he gets 12 and 16 in what most would call an "off night". Another way to say this is: Domas put up 12 and 16 despite the Warriors "shutting him down" and Looney and Green getting rave reviews. Home court will be meaningful the remainder of the series but I think it was a wash in game one just because the team struggled early and I'm sure that not wanting to disappoint this crowd played into it.

The Kings success all season hinges on Fox and Sabonis being all-stars and 2 of the 3 shooters putting up 15-20 each. Monk carried the load for the others on Saturday, but this team will be at its best if all can contribute. We have too many weapons for the Warriors to stop them all/count on us to have bad nights. Keegan looked like the kid who shot 9 threes and then spent the next 6 quarters on 185. (or something that felt like that because maybe he got 1). When he got his swag back he got about 20 in the final 6-7 games of the season.

The Dubs are going to need to make a lot of adjustments without their defensive guru who is now coaching our team. This is no disrespect on Kerr who is an Arizona guy who I've loved my whole life but I think I'm giving Brown an edge. He coached most of those guys last year and I think he has inside knowledge that Kerr doesn't. It's like the time that Gruden coached the Bucs against the Raiders in the Super Bowl the year after he was Raiders coach. Raiders were probably the better team that year too. In 2-3 years it wouldn't be an edge but right now I really do think the team is close enough that Brown is going to have some idea what they are going to change and be ready for it. At the same time he's going to do his own thing and hopefully our guys shake off their playoff yips and send them home down 2-0.

I will kind of ignore the rest because everything the dubs fans believe pretty much rests on this fallacy.

Allow me to retort:
Steph played lights out, and the Warriors got contributions from guys that casual fans would say was "unexpected". And actually even legends like Doris frankly, since she was hyping the Warriors up during the period the Warriors had a comfortable lead. Steph is still playing near his prime when he has to. The other guys not so much. Maybe Wiggins will warm up a bit and play better but I'm really struggling on how much room for improvement this team has without turning back the clock 3-4 years vs. the Kings who just played their first playoff game in 17 years and had a lot of learning to do in 48 minutes.

The Kings succumbed to the moment early. A few of the guys never got out of the funk because the team did not have time to allow Kevin and Keegan to shoot out their slumps. Domas had one of those quiet double-doubles where he gets 12 and 16 in what most would call an "off night". Another way to say this is: Domas put up 12 and 16 despite the Warriors "shutting him down" and Looney and Green getting rave reviews. Home court will be meaningful the remainder of the series but I think it was a wash in game one just because the team struggled early and I'm sure that not wanting to disappoint this crowd played into it.

The Kings success all season hinges on Fox and Sabonis being all-stars and 2 of the 3 shooters putting up 15-20 each. Monk carried the load for the others on Saturday, but this team will be at its best if all can contribute. We have too many weapons for the Warriors to stop them all/count on us to have bad nights. Keegan looked like the kid who shot 9 threes and then spent the next 6 quarters on 185. (or something that felt like that because maybe he got 1). When he got his swag back he got about 20 in the final 6-7 games of the season.

The Dubs are going to need to make a lot of adjustments without their defensive guru who is now coaching our team. This is no disrespect on Kerr who is an Arizona guy who I've loved my whole life but I think I'm giving Brown an edge. He coached most of those guys last year and I think he has inside knowledge that Kerr doesn't. It's like the time that Gruden coached the Bucs against the Raiders in the Super Bowl the year after he was Raiders coach. Raiders were probably the better team that year too. In 2-3 years it wouldn't be an edge but right now I really do think the team is close enough that Brown is going to have some idea what they are going to change and be ready for it. At the same time he's going to do his own thing and hopefully our guys shake off their playoff yips and send them home down 2-0.
I like your Raiders analogy, but the only problem here is that we actually have a competent coach who knows what he's doing, and what systems he needs to run. The Raiders had freaking Bill Callahan - that should tell you all that you need to know.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I like your Raiders analogy, but the only problem here is that we actually have a competent coach who knows what he's doing, and what systems he needs to run. The Raiders had freaking Bill Callahan - that should tell you all that you need to know.
I think you mean "they" because obviously I'm already giving us an edge.

True about Callahan. Like I said, I love Kerr but Luke Walton coached his team to a better record than he did once. lol.

perhaps we need to clarify that he needs to feel like Peja in the 2003 first round and not Peja in the 2002 WCF.
Hope not 2002, cause Peja was injured during that series. He missed the first 4 games of the series then came back playing only 18,19 minutes the next couple games. Dude wasn't ready but played anyway. I'll never damn him for that. Most would be crying harder if he chose not to come back and play at all.

I'm going to tonight's game. I'll be in my Bobby Jackson jersey; say what's up. I think I'm just going to park a mile away in a free parking lot and walk. Probably faster than waiting to get out of a parking garage.
For those who frequent home games, how's the rideshare situation, both drop off before the game, and pick up after the game? I only ask because I, myself, have a physical disability, and it would probably be more economical and safer, along with efficient, for me to grab an Uber to and from games.

Also, I ask so I can be prepared for when I return to my HOME and invest in season tickets, just in case anyone's wondering...:p:p:p

I'm going to tonight's game. I'll be in my Bobby Jackson jersey; say what's up. I think I'm just going to park a mile away in a free parking lot and walk. Probably faster than waiting to get out of a parking garage.
I'm sure tonight will be different because it's a weeknight, but I was pleasantly surprised by how quick it was to de-garage after the game as I bet a lot of people stayed in DoCo to eat/party for a bit.

I should also mention that Warriors fans on the radio today are convinced that they will have tons of fans tonight, and that Game 1 was our big hurrah and effort to block Warriors fans. They are predicting upwards of 25% fans tonight. There may be some truth to additional Dubs fans tonight (maybe a few hundred more), and that STH were more likely to sell Game 1 than Game 2, but I don't know how they can predict 25% after what happened in Game 1. Warriors fans continue to amaze.

Status
Not open for further replies.