[Game] Kings @ Jazz, 3/20/2022 6pm Pacific 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huerter and Lyles are "Doubtful," and I take that literally. It would be nice to have one or both back for Boston tomorrow night, though.

No one expects another 60% shooting night from three, but you never know. The bench has been on fire lately.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Looks like the jazz will be sitting three starters tonight. Marketon, Clarkston and Sexton. Sort of looks like they were surprised even being the plan and are fixing their error.

Looks like the jazz will be sitting three starters tonight. Marketon, Clarkston and Sexton. Sort of looks like they were surprised even being the plan and are fixing their error.
Just saw this on ESPN. Interesting the Jazz are only a half game out of the 8th position. I guess one explanation is their actually injured but 3 starters?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Just saw this on ESPN. Interesting the Jazz are only a half game out of the 8th position. I guess one explanation is their actually injured but 3 starters?
I suspect management is not happy about being a low seed team in the play in. They started the season trying to position for the draft this year I think they plan on ending it that way.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Jazz are also in a weird place. Clearly the Gobert and Mitchell trades were signifying the beginning of a rebuild, but then some of the guys they got back were playing so well that they were probably reconsidering their goals and timelines.

Markkanen in particular has taken a huge leap this year.

He's still a young player, but at 26 he's not going to be on the same timeline as all the kids they're poised to draft the next couple years. And Clarkson is 30. I think they would like to make the playoffs for their fans, but outside of Walker Kessler I'm not sure anybody on their roster now will still be there in a few years. We'll see.

I suspect management is not happy about being a low seed team in the play in. They started the season trying to position for the draft and next year I think they plan on ending it that way.
I'll take it. We play the Jazz again in a few days and I wouldn't be surprised if Portland who we also play twice, has a similar plan.
50 wins looking easier all the time.

Maybe we should consider some minute restrictions for our main guys? Their 2nd and 3rd best players tonight will be Kelly Olynyk and Horton-Tucker….
Eh, don't think so quite yet. Maybe after another strong 4-5 game showing you can start cooling guys off a bit, but we still haven't guaranteed a top 3 seed, we're fighting MEM for a 2 seed and the 1 seed technically is still in play.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, don't think so quite yet. Maybe after another strong 4-5 game showing you can start cooling guys off a bit, but we still haven't guaranteed a top 3 seed, we're fighting MEM for a 2 seed and the 1 seed technically is still in play.
I've been looking at tomorrow's Celtics game as a schedule loss, so would definitely be good to take care of business tonight.

This definitely feels like a trap game against the Jazz, but if the Kings could really take care of business we could rest the starters in a blowout win. That'd be the best case scenario.

The Jazz are also in a weird place. Clearly the Gobert and Mitchell trades were signifying the beginning of a rebuild, but then some of the guys they got back were playing so well that they were probably reconsidering their goals and timelines.

Markkanen in particular has taken a huge leap this year.

He's still a young player, but at 26 he's not going to be on the same timeline as all the kids they're poised to draft the next couple years. And Clarkson is 30. I think they would like to make the playoffs for their fans, but outside of Walker Kessler I'm not sure anybody on their roster now will still be there in a few years. We'll see.
Was shocked that they gave away Vanderbilt. Good, young player on a cheap contract, signed for next year too on the cheap. Was the 2027 Lakers pick enough for that? Doubt it, and will remain convinced that they gave in to pressure, likely from the agents.

Yeah I want to see them cement the 2nd seed. Higher odds of playing a much weaker team in the first round.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was shocked that they gave away Vanderbilt. Good, young player on a cheap contract, signed for next year too on the cheap. Was the 2027 Lakers pick enough for that? Doubt it, and will remain convinced that they gave in to pressure, likely from the agents.
Could be. But Ainge's MO has always been to rebuild with picks and keep the cap sheet clean. Holding on to Vanderbilt for next season would have meant potentially losing him for nothing or signing him to a long term deal.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Could be. But Ainge's MO has always been to rebuild with picks and keep the cap sheet clean. Holding on to Vanderbilt for next season would have meant potentially losing him for nothing or signing him to a long-term deal.
Sounds about right. I looked at the trade as a pure cap space move to make a play for a big FA this off-season.. all things considered, Ange knows he will have to flat outbid other teams to get talent now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds about right. I looked at the trade as a pure cap space move to make a play for a big FA this off-season.. all things considered, Ange knows he will have to flat outbid other teams to get talent now.
I don't remember him making many splashy FA signings with Boston. The current Celtics team was built through the draft and developing their own guys. The Celtics championship team was built on a combination of drafted players (Rondo, Pierce) and trades for KG and Ray Allen.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I don't remember him making many splashy FA signings with Boston. The current Celtics team was built through the draft and developing their own guys. The Celtics championship team was built on a combination of drafted players (Rondo, Pierce) and trades for KG and Ray Allen.
It's a whole lot easier to get a free agent to come to Boston than it is to get them to come to Utah. It also explains building up what is starting to look like a word chest for salary this next season.

Addendum: I really did not give your post the thought and attention it deserves. You have a good point about how Ange built up Boston without big FA's and maybe the Vanderbilt trade was just about the 1st from the Lakers. Seems like a lot of salary to eat for a pick, but it could be. Who knows it might have just about taking one of the Laker's last tradeable pics to screw them... if I am down for that. But I would stipulate that Ainge will still have to overpay for most FA's even roll players and deep bench guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.