Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yes, but Boston has the experience from getting to the Finals last year. They have a lot of fire power too
Oh they 100% have the talent advantage right now. Just saying, since folks are finally starting to come around Brown over Mazz. But I still think for some dumb reason the media will hand Coach of the Year to the guy who inherited a finals squad and exec to New York because New York.

IDK about Malone being overrated. He's doing with Jokic what could have been done with Cousins, and the fact that he has THAT roster, which is dependent upon its starters, as the current 1 seed, is nothing short of miraculous.

I don't know that we have the length to neutralize Jokic in a 7 game series, but we can definitely make it hard on the supporting cast. Fox is definitely tailored for the playoffs - I'd love to see him against the Nuggets.
All fair points. Nuggs Kings in a seven game series would be absolutely epic.

That's what everyone seems to want to believe. But until we see it, I don't believe it.

The likes of KD, LBJ, AD, Steph, Klay, etc, seem to keep getting injured on a routine basis and you never know when it's going to happen or for how long.

Not only that, remember when the supposed Miami "super team" was put together? And vowed to win 5, 6, 7 Championships?

Well, that team wasn't that old and they still got beat down by Dallas in their 1st Finals and were a lucky bounce to Ray Allen away from only winning 1 title with that team. A title which was only won against a very young and immature OKC squad.

This PHX core is a lot older than that MIA core was. IDK that they got it in them to get at least one title. We'll see.
Well, the first 3 games were looking pretty good for them. The Suns aren't going to win Jordan or Spurs types of titles due mainly to age, but they certainly have the most talent up top if healthy and talent usually wins. Shooting as I've said before has made up a bit of difference but every year, the usual suspects are in it at the end.

You know its odd, I was looing at the 2004-2005 season, and I have no memory of their playoffs loss against the Supersonics. Lost 4-1 but couldn't recall a single game looking at boxscores.....contrast that to the Timberwolves and Spurs series before and after that, and I have clear memory of both series......Aging.
That was the "black trash bag" series. Jerome James was upset when the Kings cut him and put everything into a black trash bag. Then he proceeded to have a crazy good series. After that he disappeared.

IDK about Malone being overrated. He's doing with Jokic what could have been done with Cousins, and the fact that he has THAT roster, which is dependent upon its starters, as the current 1 seed, is nothing short of miraculous.

I don't know that we have the length to neutralize Jokic in a 7 game series, but we can definitely make it hard on the supporting cast. Fox is definitely tailored for the playoffs - I'd love to see him against the Nuggets.
Domas during his 2 years with Gonzaga played his best basketball during the march Madness. Same goes to his stay in Indiana. When Pacers hired Rick, I was like bleep, stuff hit the fan. Rick Carlisle should retire from HC jobs. He got lucky in Dallas, should have retired with the Dirk. Personally, when i look at Rick, i have a sensation that I'm wiping my arse with the low grade sand paper instead of Angel Soft.

Seems like not many have noticed that all five of these Super Elite All Time Greats are on ~.500 teams (exception of Durant who's been largely inactive since the trade).

I don't think people have realized that the changing of the guard may have already happened. Too much invested (incl endorsements) to see it.

Eyes on games says other things are happening.
I think the younger lot has to earn it in the playoffs, before it can be anointed.

It is bound to happen soon. Most of the old guard is, well, old. Plus, as this year in particular has shown, can't be counted on to soldier through a long season. Will some of them get healthy enough for a deep post season run, knock off some of the upstarts, and say, "wait some more"? We'll see.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm watching the LA NYK and every time it looks like NY gonna put them away they climb back in. Just went up even after being down 8 a min ago :(

The Lakers still have a shot in the post season. Most matchups they will have 2 of the 3 best players (or close) and the depth pieces are pretty solid. Knicks need this one to stop the skid

How could a former Celtic/King/Blazer do that?
As I said a couple of times, I guess agents pressurize the GMs.

This is purely conjecture though. I have not heard any chatter, so perhaps unfair of me to blame the agents and GM. Per Occam's razor though, the simplest explanation is often the correct one. We do know that agents do have a lot of power, and helping out Lakers, Bron, and Davis is good for the league as well as the agents. A little carrot and stick approach might force some GMs to give in.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

I have moved the Kings to #2, because we currently hold the tiebreaker against Memphis, but the tiebreaker is not final.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (5):
Nets def. DEN
NOP def. POR
OKC def. Spurs
Knicks def. LAL

Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):
DEN (46-22) 21, 14 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
SAC (40-26) --, 16 games remaining
MEM (40-26) 17, 16 games remaining, TB 2-2 (best conference win% gets TB, Kings currently lead)
PHX (37-30) 13, 15 games remaining, TB=Suns
GSW (35-33) 10, 14 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
LAC (36-33) 9, 13 games remaining, TB=Kings
--- Playoffs ---
MIN (34-34) 9, 14 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
DAL (34-34) 9, 14 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
NOP (33-35) 8, 14 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
UTA (33-35) 8, 14 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
--- Play-In Games ---
LAL (33-35) 7, 14 games remaining, TB=Kings
OKC (33-35) 7, 14 games remaining, TB=Kings
POR (31-37) 6, 14 games remaining, TB 1-1, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)

Tomorrow's games (6):
UTA at Heat, 4:30 PM
MEM at DAL, 4:30 PM
PHX at GSW, 7 PM
Bucks at SAC, 7 PM

Yahoo has an article titled "Who Will Emerge in a Wide-Open West?" Not one mention of Sacramento as a possible title contender. The Lakers, currently tied for ninth place, yes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/who-will-e...inty-around-grizzlies-warriors-190959460.html
Note quite, the final sentence does mention them (hardly). Earlier in the season I wouldn't have given the Kings a chance at title, but of late, there have been hard fought wins and signs that indicates a chance. I doubt the author watches them. They are currently a top 10 team by record.

Oh they 100% have the talent advantage right now. Just saying, since folks are finally starting to come around Brown over Mazz. But I still think for some dumb reason the media will hand Coach of the Year to the guy who inherited a finals squad and exec to New York because New York.
That, and they can't be bothered to stay up long enough to actually do their job by watching the West Coast games.

Instead, I'm certain they catch up online the next morning by reading the sports news and watching highlights, which, of course, we know almost never includes anything the KINGS are doing or have done.

Yahoo has an article titled "Who Will Emerge in a Wide-Open West?" Not one mention of Sacramento as a possible title contender. The Lakers, currently tied for ninth place, yes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/who-will-e...inty-around-grizzlies-warriors-190959460.html
Actually, I liked the article. Analysis of all the teams is the same as if it was done in October last year. And, at the end, just subtly, like btw, maybe the best playing team right now - Sacramento Kings :)

I'll give you that he's got his roster overachieving. I'll push back a bit on the Jokic/Cousins comparison. While I do think Malone and Cousins were a great match - I think Jokic would be succesful with any coach, while cousins needed a Ferrari mechanic - and even then we don't know if he would have stabilized long term.

Would have loved to see it though.

I remain very, very curious to see what Kessler could do on Jokic, yes, Jokic.

Lineup:
Fox
Davion
Kessler
Barnes
Sabonis

Kessler double teams on Jokic - Fox and Davion cover the permiter (KCP etc). Has Monte not created a machine that can cause problems for every contending team in the west?

Nuggs are Jokic pnr + shooters. You can gameplan against that. You can't gameplan against us though.

Yikes. Jokic definitely ain't getting that MVP, this may finally be Embiids time
Jokic shouldn't get it.

The two best and most dominant players in the league are Giannis and Embiid. Both of whom are elite TWO WAY players.

With both the Bucks and Sixers owning better records than DEN -- there really shouldn't be an argument for Jokic.

Unfortunately some pundits and fans get too wrapped up in things like "averaging a triple double" vs. players that are great or elite on BOTH ends of the floor -- which is clearly more valuable and more impressive.

Looking at it another way, in a re-draft conducted tomorrow -- how many would take Jokic over either Giannis or Embiid? Almost nobody.

For me, I think the Embiid has tipped the scales in his favor. He's been on a tear, hitting game-winners and such.

I hope Kings
Jokic shouldn't get it.

The two best and most dominant players in the league are Giannis and Embiid. Both of whom are elite TWO WAY players.

With both the Bucks and Sixers owning better records than DEN -- there really shouldn't be an argument for Jokic.

Unfortunately some pundits and fans get too wrapped up in things like "averaging a triple double" vs. players that are great or elite on BOTH ends of the floor -- which is clearly more valuable and more impressive.

Looking at it another way, in a re-draft conducted tomorrow -- how many would take Jokic over either Giannis or Embiid? Almost nobody.

For me, I think the Embiid has tipped the scales in his favor. He's been on a tear, hitting game-winners and such.
Joker is by far the best player in the league according to every imaginable advanced impact stat.And by quite a margin.There is absolutely no other player more important to the their team then Jokic.And that team leads the west by a wide margin.If there was a legit argument last year because Denver had a middling seeding , this year there is no doubt imo