Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

Not quite the same thing.

The West is a freaking meat grinder. With a lot more parity. The East is top heavy.

Back in the early 2000’s, the East just wasn’t very good. Most the elite talent was in the West.

The reverse is not the case in the here and now. Most of the elite talent is still in the West.
I disagree, but it's only my opinion. I think the East is better than the West by far this year. But I do think you're right about the meat grinder. The West is pretty much stacked on talent, and a lot of teams that are out of the top 10 like Utah, OKC or Portland are only a 5 game win streak from being in the play-in tournament.

I think in the West you have a team like Denver which will be the #1 seed. Then you have these teams below which are about equal talent wise, and in any other year could be where we are right now;

If I was rating teams like the NBA games on PS5 or whatever you would get something like this... (The higher number the better, capped at 100)

1. Denver 95
2. Sacramento 88
3. Memphis 86
4. Phoenix 84
5. Golden State 86
6. Minnesota 82

7. Dallas 83
8. Los Angeles Clippers 85
9. Los Angeles Lakers 84
10. New Orleans 79

11. OKC 80
12. Portland 79
13. Utah 80

14. San Antonio 63
15. Houston 64

I disagree, but it's only my opinion. I think the East is better than the West by far this year.
Based upon what? Please lay out your reasoning, as I’m genuinely interested in reading it.

You kinda sorta just admitted the West is more stacked on talent.

As I stated previously, most the elite talent is in the West. Which should lead anyone to conclude the better teams are in the West.

You can’t judge by record, as Eastern teams play far more games against their own conference and vice versa. And you can’t fairly judge solely off the 2 game litmus test both conferences play against each other, with factors such as longer distance travel and playing teams in the midst of a 5, 6, or 7 game roadie.

In terms of what I believe most would consider “elite talent”, the East has Giannis, Embiid, Tatum, and Donovan Mitchell.

Meanwhile, the West boasts: Jokic, Dame, Steph, Klay, Kawhi, LBJ, AD, KD, Booker, #77, Kyrie, and Ja.

It’s really not even close.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

I have moved the Kings to #2, because we currently hold the tiebreaker against Memphis, but the tiebreaker is not final.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (7):
Boston def. POR
NOP def. DAL
Chicago def. DEN
PHX def. OKC
LAC def. Toronto

Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):
DEN (46-20) 25, 16 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
SAC (38-26) --, 18 games remaining
MEM (38-26) 19, 18 games remaining, TB 2-2 (best conference win% gets TB, Kings currently lead)
PHX (37-29) 16, 16 games remaining, TB=Suns
GSW (34-32) 13, 16 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
DAL (34-33) 12, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Playoffs ---
MIN (34-33) 12, 15 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
LAC (35-33) 11, 14 games remaining, TB=Kings
NOP (32-34) 11, 16 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
POR (31-35) 10, 16 games remaining, TB 1-1, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
--- Play-In Games ---
LAL (32-34) 10, 16 games remaining, TB=Kings
UTA (31-35) 10, 16 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
OKC (31-35) 9, 16 games remaining, TB=Kings

Tomorrow's games (4):
UTA at Orlando, 4 PM
GSW at MEM, 4:30 PM
New York at SAC, 7 PM

Im very very dumb, so, sorry for this question.

Bolded number is how many wins we need to not care at all what the other team does? So if we win 12 more games, DAL cannot pass us, even if they run the table?

Im very very dumb, so, sorry for this question.

Bolded number is how many wins we need to not care at all what the other team does? So if we win 12 more games, DAL cannot pass us, even if they run the table?
Kind of. The number goes down with either a win by the Kings or a loss by that team. So while your statement is true that if the Kings win 12 more games of 18 left and DAL runs the table, DAL cannot pass us, what the number really means is any combination of Kings wins and Dallas losses that equals 12 or more leads to Kings finishing in front of Dallas.

At least he stayed healthy long enough for the KD vs. Kyrie showdown everyone was waiting for. Meanwhile.... Mikal Bridges is averaging 26.5 per game for the Nets. No take-backs Phoenix.
I agree bad trade for the Suns.....too much injury downside and whole bunch of picks ( I also like Cam Johnson)

Based upon what? Please lay out your reasoning, as I’m genuinely interested in reading it.

You kinda sorta just admitted the West is more stacked on talent.

As I stated previously, most the elite talent is in the West. Which should lead anyone to conclude the better teams are in the West.

You can’t judge by record, as Eastern teams play far more games against their own conference and vice versa. And you can’t fairly judge solely off the 2 game litmus test both conferences play against each other, with factors such as longer distance travel and playing teams in the midst of a 5, 6, or 7 game roadie.

In terms of what I believe most would consider “elite talent”, the East has Giannis, Embiid, Tatum, and Donovan Mitchell.

Meanwhile, the West boasts: Jokic, Dame, Steph, Klay, Kawhi, LBJ, AD, KD, Booker, #77, Kyrie, and Ja.

It’s really not even close.
Without getting into the debate on which conference is more stacked, I think we need to redefine the term "better", in terms of talent in the West.

Certainly, more recognizable top level talent is in the West. Guys who have been dominating the league for years, have won multiple championships, MVPs, and are first ballot HOFers; the West is certainly lot more stacked with these guys.

OTOH, many of these guys have missed a ton of games, which has impacted their teams' standing. That too is a function of age (to some extent at least, though obviously it varies from player to player). In another thread, we had another controversial debate on "availability being the best ability". Again, don't want to get into that, but availability is certainly a factor.

Some time back I had said that the league had seen a huge talent infusion since the early 2000s, but last few years have been relatively underwhelming. Bron, Durant, Irving, Curry, Dame, George, Kawahi etc. continue to remain some of the top stars. The last 4 MVPs have been won by guys drafted in 2013 (Giannis, MVP in 19, 20) and 2014, (Jokic, in 21, 22, and likely 23). One of their major competitors has been Embiid, also drafted in 2014.

The only guys since who have had a reasonable chance since are Luka, and to a lesser extent, Tatum. There have been some good players (including our 2 all-stars) since, but not many who have owned the league, at least not yet.

There is still time, particularly for the more recent draft classes. Ultimately, someone will fill the vacuum that will be created at the top as guys retire/play fewer games due to injuries. Teams like Lakers, Suns, Wolves, and Mavs have mortgaged a lot of their future for a shot at the title, and as they slip (hopefully), other players and teams will replace them. It's already happening. Apart from injuries, we are also seeing decline of some stars like Paul and Klay.

I personally believe the gap is minimal. West loses in age and injuries, what it gains in big name recognition (and guys who can still take over games on their own). Unless it can prove otherwise, West can't dismiss games lost due to injuries as a freak coincidence, particularly if it continues to happen to older stars.

Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

I have moved the Kings to #2, because we currently hold the tiebreaker against Memphis, but the tiebreaker is not final.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (7):
Boston def. POR
NOP def. DAL
Chicago def. DEN
PHX def. OKC
LAC def. Toronto

MEM (38-26) 19, 18 games remaining, TB 2-2 (best conference win% gets TB, Kings currently lead)
--- Playoffs ---
MIN (34-33) 12, 15 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
POR (31-35) 10, 16 games remaining, TB 1-1, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
--- Play-In Games ---
UTA (31-35) 10, 16 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)

Tomorrow's games (4):
UTA at Orlando, 4 PM
New York at SAC, 7 PM

Barring injuries (like Fox out a bunch; if hamstring, Kings ought to think about shelving him for playoffs) I think 8 or 9 wins is the most likely win total, so only OKC they outright eliminate while the #10 teams are also possible,

Hamstring injury is a minefield. The tendency is to rely on your burst to beat defenders which unfortunately increases the likelihood of re-injury.

I think the reason why there's so much more "parity" in the West this year is 100% because of injuries. hat have dealt with substantial injuries this year where there stars missed more than 20+ games:
  1. Suns
  2. Clippers
  3. Pelicans (they were a top seed at one point)
  4. Warriors
  5. Lakers
  6. Timberwolves
Not to take anything away from our accomplishments, but our health has been a big reason why we've been able to hold onto our playoff seedings, and even move up in the stands. We've had 6 different players participate in over 60 games this season.. 8 players in over 89% of our games. Check around the league, and most teams aren't anywhere near as fortunate as us.. knock on wood.

I don't think the East is better than the West this year. I would say they're equal, however, their top teams might be better than our top teams. The West has gone through an injury outbreak while the East has been relatively healthy

Kings Playoff Tracker

Today's games (7):
Boston def. POR
NOP def. DAL
Chicago def. DEN
PHX def. OKC
LAC def. Toronto

--- Playoffs ---
--- Play-In Games ---

Tomorrow's games (4):
UTA at Orlando, 4 PM
New York at SAC, 7 PM
hey Captain great stuff.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Grizz record without Steven Adams is worse than without Ja. With Brandon Clarke also out, could see them dropping down the rankings dramatically.
With Clarke and now Adams out for the season, it would be a "perfect" opportunity for the NBA to actually come down hard on Ja. They aren't going anywhere anyway, and they've got a pretty rough schedule going forward - it's kind of "no harm, no foul" at this point.

Well, I'm still rooting for the Suns but glad to see the Kings still playing well. Sure did hate to see Bridges leave in the trade because
he is such an ironman. Hopefully KD can make a return somewhat soon.