2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Rumors are saying Jazz want 5-7 1st round picks for Mitchell and players. They want a better Gobert package.

I’m almost certain the Kings name being thrown around in these Mitchell talks is to be a third party. Mitchell just doesn’t make any sense for this team. The Raptors are rumored to be hot in pursuit of Mitchell however, and if that’s the case I’d assume OG is on the move. Now I could see the Kings trying to third party for a trade involving OG
It seems pretty obvious that the Jazz are hitting the OKC-style reset button. It's not a question of filling out their front court with high-level role players, it's a question of filling out their larders with high-value draft picks. We're not in a position to do that. Donovan and the Knicks seem like a match made in heaven, and yes, our name is probably just out there to sweeten the pot.

Kings name popped up in possible Donovan Mitchell trade. Utah as of now has zero frontcourt players with experience. Barnes, Holmes, metu for Mitchell?
Huh? They want like 7 FRPs. I get that is probably too much, but there is no way they are trading their star for Barnes and matching salary. Like zero chance. Ainge would be fired in a minute.

It seems pretty obvious that the Jazz are hitting the OKC-style reset button. It's not a question of filling out their front court with high-level role players, it's a question of filling out their larders with high-value draft picks. We're not in a position to do that. Donovan and the Knicks seem like a match made in heaven, and yes, our name is probably just out there to sweeten the pot.
More than likely you’re right, kings just being thrown in there for leverage purposes. Jazz are definitely hitting the hard reset though, so picks, picks, picks is the only currency they’re looking for. Some expiring contracts or pieces that can be traded away for more picks as well. It’s a wild dream but I’m holding out a sliver of hope the Raptors interest in Mitchell is true, then they trade OG to us, some 1sts to the Jazz, we throw in more 1sts to the Jazz and Barnes. Whatever fillers could be added as needed but that would be the main component of the trade.

It’s more likely the Kings are involved in Donovan Mitchell talks as a third team in a potential Mitchell to somewhere else trade.

though it would be cool if they are in such a hurry to blow it up that some expiring salaries and maybe a couple first rounders would suffice

Regarding the Donovan Mitchell trade, a trade with the Raptors, Jazz and Kings could work:

Raptors get Mitchell
Kings get OG
Jazz get HB and Gary Trent Jr. and TOR 23, 25, 27 FRP and SAC 27 FRP (top 5 protected from us)

Kings:
Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk/
OG/TD/KZ/Chema
Murray/Lyles/Metu/KZ
Sabonis/Holmes/Len

Raptors Starting Lineup
FVF
Mitchell
Scottie Barnes
Otto Porter
Siakam

Jazz Starters: Who cares they suck.

With that said, I actually would like to keep HB around SOOO, it also works if we keep HB and send Holmes to Jazz and TD to Raptors.

That Huerter deal pretty much put the kibosh on any superstar level deals being made by Sac anytime soon. At least not without a huge complicated deal involving a bunch of pieces and teams. In this instance, it might be for the better.
Yeah, that's why I didn't think the Huerter pick really mattered all that much. The 5-7 FRP type deals are worth it for the KD tier player, but I think teams are seriously going to regret paying that tag for this Gobert/Mitchell/Beal level tier. They're all-stars, but none of them are actual title movers on their own without that top 5-7 player with them.

Regarding the Donovan Mitchell trade, a trade with the Raptors, Jazz and Kings could work:

Raptors get Mitchell
Kings get OG
Jazz get HB and Gary Trent Jr. and TOR 23, 25, 27 FRP and SAC 27 FRP (top 5 protected from us)

Kings:
Fox/Mitchell
Huerter/Monk/
OG/TD/KZ/Chema
Murray/Lyles/Metu/KZ
Sabonis/Holmes/Len

Raptors Starting Lineup
FVF
Mitchell
Scottie Barnes
Otto Porter
Siakam

Jazz Starters: Who cares they suck.

With that said, I actually would like to keep HB around SOOO, it also works if we keep HB and send Holmes to Jazz and TD to Raptors.
I think Toronto would say no for sure. I think you can make the argument they are better off with OG and Trent than Mitchell, and that is not even counting all the picks. And a FVF/Mitchell backcourt would get roasted. Sure the Barnes, Porter, Siakam lineup is defensive fire on the wings, but with zero shotblocking I think the point of attack issues with Mitchell and FVV would be too much. This seems like a move to lock in top 4 in the East, but with little potential to actually win it all.

Also, why would Utah want us involved? Wouldn't they just want OG instead of Barnes and a 27 pick? If they are rebuilding they probably don't really want OG or Barnes long term, but I would guess they can fetch WAY more for OG than they would for Barnes.

I think Toronto would say no for sure. I think you can make the argument they are better off with OG and Trent than Mitchell, and that is not even counting all the picks. And a FVF/Mitchell backcourt would get roasted. Sure the Barnes, Porter, Siakam lineup is defensive fire on the wings, but with zero shotblocking I think the point of attack issues with Mitchell and FVV would be too much. This seems like a move to lock in top 4 in the East, but with little potential to actually win it all.

Also, why would Utah want us involved? Wouldn't they just want OG instead of Barnes and a 27 pick? If they are rebuilding they probably don't really want OG or Barnes long term, but I would guess they can fetch WAY more for OG than they would for Barnes.
It would seem the Jazz are tearing it down to the studs, gaining OG makes this seasons team better, they’re not trying to do that. Barnes isn’t a target for them with thoughts of keeping him, they’d be looking to move him at the deadline to a competing team in need for more picks. The Jazz may also want the Kings 1sts more than Raptors 1sts for reasons you just stated, the Raptors with FVV, Mitchell, Barnes, Siakam and other pieces is a sure fire playoff team in the east. The Kings even with OG are competing with the likes of the Blazers, Lakers and other teams for a play in spot in the west. Meaning Kings 1sts are likely to be earlier.

The Huerter trade doesn’t necessarily end another trade involving picks from happening, the Kings would just have to be willing to part with a 1st or two in the coming years altogether, no playoffs = the jazz get it, playoffs = the hawks get it.

Also, until this dream is dead, I’d much appreciate if we didn’t hypothetically shoot it down. Let me have this.

I Think Toronto would rather do a similar deal for Durant:

Raptors get Durant, TD
Kings get OG
Nets get Holmes, Siakam +Tor 23,25,27 and Kings 26,28 1sts

Thats 5 1sts for nets
Tor gets to keep Scottie Barnes
Kings get OG and keeps Barnes for trade deadline

Kings:
Fox/Mitchell/Cook?
Huerter/Monk/
OG/Barnes/Chema/Ellis
Murray/Lyles/Metu/KZ
Sabonis/Queta/Len

Last edited:

Raptors get Durant, TD
Kings get OG
Nets get Holmes, Siakam +Tor 23,25,27 and Kings 26,28 1sts

Thats 5 1sts for nets
Tor gets to keep Scottie Barnes
Kings get OG and keeps Barnes for trade deadline

Kings:
Fox/Mitchell/Cook?
Huerter/Monk/
OG/Barnes/Chema/Ellis
Murray/Lyles/Metu/KZ
Sabonis/Queta/Len
Kings cant trade their 1st round pick till 2028 unless it conveys to Atlanta earlier. And cant trade the 2030 pick until next year due to the 7 year rule.

Kings cant trade their 1st round pick till 2028 unless it conveys to Atlanta earlier. And cant trade the 2030 pick until next year due to the 7 year rule.
Is that how it works though? I believe I’ve read the Kings can still trade their 1sts considering they own the protected rights to their future 1sts. So they’d be trading their rights to the protected half.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Is that how it works though? I believe I’ve read the Kings can still trade their 1sts considering they own the protected rights to their future 1sts. So they’d be trading their rights to the protected half.
You still have to consider the Stepien Rule, which says you can't make a trade that even *might* leave you with no first-round pick in two consecutive years.

Since we might send '24 or '25 or '26 to Atlanta, we can't make a (straightforward) trade that might send away '23 or '27.

We *could* send '27 contingent on the pick to Atlanta conveying in '24 or '25, but with the caveat that if the Atlanta pick does not convey by '25, then the '27 pick has to roll over instead into second round picks or something.

It's far trickier to try to send the protected bit of a pick. That's where pick swap options come in, because we would retain *a* pick in those years, either our own or the other team's (Jazz).

You still have to consider the Stepien Rule, which says you can't make a trade that even *might* leave you with no first-round pick in two consecutive years.

Since we might send '24 or '25 or '26 to Atlanta, we can't make a (straightforward) trade that might send away '23 or '27.

We *could* send '27 contingent on the pick to Atlanta conveying in '24 or '25, but with the caveat that if the Atlanta pick does not convey by '25, then the '27 pick has to roll over instead into second round picks or something.

It's far trickier to try to send the protected bit of a pick. That's where pick swap options come in, because we would retain *a* pick in those years, either our own or the other team's (Jazz).
Gotcha, appreciate the explanation.

OG for 2 firsts + Holmes and TD? Seems steep. No thanks from my pov
Well maybe 2 firsts is steep but if just the 28 yr pic? Sounds like 26 yr pic can’t be used anyway but a backup big and 3rd string sg for a starting sf with 3 yrs on his contract? Sounds tempting to me but not sure if a 28 yr 1st is enough to get us as a third team maybe add a couple of 2nds too ?

Revised:

Raptors get Durant, TD
Kings get OG
Nets get Holmes, Siakam +Tor 23,,26PicSwap,25,27 and Kings 27 Pick Swap,,28 1st

Thats 4 1sts for nets and 2 Swaps
Nets get all star Siakam, cost effective help at C
Tor gets to keep Scottie Barnes, get off OG and Siakam Salary
Kings get OG and keeps Barnes for trade deadline or a Backup Deal (3 yrs 10M)

Kings:
Fox/Mitchell/Cook?
Huerter/Monk/
OG/Barnes/Chema/Ellis
Murray/Lyles/Metu/KZ
Sabonis/Queta/Len

Kings Fans have been hoping for a Holmes deal that brings a starting SF
Metu can help as backup C with Queta
I just dont see a path for a Barnes for SF upgrade is out there
Need TD in deal to get salary to match and is an ender for Raptors
Our picks are 4-5 yrs down the line

Makes a lot of sense to me

Since we keep hearing the “we’re not done” reports, I’m wondering if the plan is to move Barnes for a younger, better defending SF who can still space the floor. I wouldn’t be unhappy with going after any of…

OG Anunoby
DeAndre Hunter
Devin Vassell
Cam Johnson

Anunoby would be my preference but he’ll also be the most costly to obtain but a lineup of…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk / Davis
SF - Anunoby / Moneke
PF - Murray / Lyles / Metu
C - Sabonis / Holmes / Len

If Murray becomes a plus defender and Brown gets Fox to commit defensively, we actually could be an okay defensive team considering Anunoby ability to play excellent defense.

Another intriguing idea is to trade for Hunter while lessening the protections on our 2024 1st since we lottery protected it in the Huerter trade.

Harrison Barnes
Loosening of the protections for 2024 1st

for

DeAndre Hunter
Justin Holiday

Barnes gives the Hawks a great starting 5 to stay competitive/relevant this year (Young-Murray-Barnes-Collins-Capela) while having a solid bench in Bogdanovic, Griffin, Johnson, and Okongwu. Long term, they don’t have to worry about giving Hunter a big pay raise with all of the money they have tied up already while getting a lightly protected 1st round pick.

Kings get an upgrade defensively at SF who can still space the floor and fits the age timeline of the core (he’s 24). Also, the loosening of the protection might make it easier to trade future 1sts in follow up deals since it should convey sooner.

The obvious red flag is Hunter’s ability to stay healthy and stay on the floor, but his skill set and age would be a great fit on paper next to our core.

I would like to keep Barnes and resign him.

I wanna keep the picks too.. We've already traded away the 2024 pick (protected) for a team like the Kings to 'go for it' is fine but for a team in their position to be trading away multiple first rd picks is extremely, extremely dangerous/risky IMO.

and I can see why one might think "we wont need the picks if we have X" but the picks are also insurance for injuries.. If you trade the picks then sustain big injuries, then your doubly screwed..

Last edited: