[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Andrew Bogut rates Delly's chances of signing with the Kings.

“I heard Matthew Dellavedova is being considered to sign with the Sacramento Kings,” he said on his Rogues Bogues podcast.

“Mike Brown loves him. I have a feeling they might bring him in. They need someone that’s a pro everyday. Harrison Barnes is that guy but it would help to have another guy like that in the locker room with the young guys.”
News link

I was iffy when I first heard about the Kings potentially signing Dellavedova but I've come around to thinking it makes a lot of sense.
Yeah I think a big difference is in the past, we'd sign a Delly type and need them to be a 20 MPG contributor and key rotation guy. But as a guy who knows Brown's system, is an emergency ball-handler and can be the "player-coach" type of vet, I think he makes a lot of sense.

Why would either team do that?

Now Davion for one of the Pels young wings might be interesting.

Keon Ellis is 6’ 3” barefoot with a 6’ 8” wingspan and weighs 175lbs max. He isn’t guarding an NBA 3 but he could slide into a guard stopper role.
Just trying to rationalize why Cunningham would say another big move is coming with what makes sense for the Kings. Otherwise, yea, kinda hard to see what else they could do.

Ellis? He's not guarding NBA threes for another three years. He's just too skinny. Dude tends to jump ball handlers, but bigger or more composed/mature/seasoned wings will just counter his springiness and drive to the hole or manufacture a foul if/when he does that.

I was just watching a recent episode of Locked On Kings in which Matt George is talking about Sabonis' 3-pt shooting. He notes that Sabonis is just shy of 32% career from 3 and what a big deal it'd be if he could make a jump to mid-30's this season.

And that feels right, doesn't it? 32% is below average; 35% is about average; high-30's is very good; and 40+ is generally considered elite, assuming it's on decent volume.

But if two players both average 5 3's/game, the difference between 32% and 37% amounts to ONE extra made 3 every FOUR games for the better shooter. Framed that way, hard to see what the fuss is about, yet on the floor it's probably the difference between "good, we want him to take that shot" and "can't leave him open from there."

I was just watching a recent episode of Locked On Kings in which Matt George is talking about Sabonis' 3-pt shooting. He notes that Sabonis is just shy of 32% career from 3 and what a big deal it'd be if he could make a jump to mid-30's this season.

And that feels right, doesn't it? 32% is below average; 35% is about average; high-30's is very good; and 40+ is generally considered elite, assuming it's on decent volume.

But if two players both average 5 3's/game, the difference between 32% and 37% amounts to ONE extra made 3 every FOUR games for the better shooter. Framed that way, hard to see what the fuss is about, yet on the floor it's probably the difference between "good, we want him to take that shot" and "can't leave him open from there."
The Kings' had an average point differential of -5.46 per game last year. That's two buckets. Make two more 3s per game and they have a > .500 record.

It doesn't seem like much, but when the league has a points differential that ranges from +7.5 (3 to 4 made shots) to -8.88 (3 to 5 missed shots) per game, an extra made 3 point shot from Domas would be huge for the Kings W-L record.

It is why, though I loved Boogie's fire, critics were right when they criticized his techs. You can't gift points to the other team when margins were already so tight. Essentially a 20% to 40% winning edge to the other team whenever he got a tech.

Or why I hated Buddy doing Buddy things and gifting turnovers to the opposing team (usually off his foot in crunch time).

Or Fox running and running and running, which enabled the Kings to score 110 points per game last year, but also allowed the opposing, more efficient team to score 115+ points per game.

Edit: Points differential source can be found here: https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=nba+teams+points+differential+per+game+2021-22

33% is basically the same as shooting 50% from 2.

I love how Sabonis seems like a great locker room unifier guy. He gives me the whole "Vlade" vibe, as a "Father" figure player that can bring the whole locker room together to run through walls. That's what made the "Greatest Show on Court" era possible, the team unity that everyone had everyones back and they were all family. Hopefully, this is the start of something special! :)

Anyone know the Kings policy on babies at Kings games? We have a 7 month old but am tossing around the idea of flying out for a game this season and wasn’t sure if babies need a ticket? Google says every team has a different policy on that

Anyone know the Kings policy on babies at Kings games? We have a 7 month old but am tossing around the idea of flying out for a game this season and wasn’t sure if babies need a ticket? Google says every team has a different policy on that
I'm pretty sure if under 2 and can sit on the lap and no ticket needed, I'd maybe suggest some ear covers for the noise though.

I brought my son when he was 8 months. He just sat in our laps so we did not buy a ticket for him. He wore baby earmuffs for most of it and did not seem bothered by the noise. We sat about halfway up the lower level, from what I recall. It was one of those early Sunday games, and lot of families brought their young children as well. The kings won, and I haven’t been able to take him since, so at least he has an undefeated record in attendance!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I've never brought a baby to a game, but one note of caution if you haven't been to the Golden1 Center before - the upper level is surprisingly steep.

Not ridiculously so, but enough that I'd have some worries about carrying a baby around. Just my $0.02.
I'll second that. The upper level is like disconcerting, vertigo-inducing steep. Up isn't so bad, but down...man, you want to be grabbing the handrail with both hands and not carrying stuff like babies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yep! Went to the 2nd Paul McCarthy concert in the upper deck. Will never sit up there again for anything.
Actually, I have to admit that dead-on center court, absolute front row of the upper deck (so that's actually below the entrance to the upper deck) is a very nice seat. Nobody in front of you, just the rail, kind of steep viewing angle but acceptable (and interesting perspective), not so far from the floor as to make the game "too small" and best of all, directly in the center of a row, so nobody moving across in the middle of the game to go get food, etc. And quite a bit cheaper than the lower deck, where you get various reasons for obstructed views.

I shouldn't really give that secret away. In fact, yeah everything in the upper deck is terrible.

Actually, I have to admit that dead-on center court, absolute front row of the upper deck (so that's actually below the entrance to the upper deck) is a very nice seat. Nobody in front of you, just the rail, kind of steep viewing angle but acceptable (and interesting perspective), not so far from the floor as to make the game "too small" and best of all, directly in the center of a row, so nobody moving across in the middle of the game to go get food, etc. And quite a bit cheaper than the lower deck, where you get various reasons for obstructed views.

I shouldn't really give that secret away. In fact, yeah everything in the upper deck is terrible.
One of the bonus' of Covid is no more vendors walking up and down the aisles.

Do they have the sausage cart back on the second level? That was always the best deal, in terms of pricing and wait time. With just the one by the entrance open, though, it gets a little crowded.

Unfortunately I didn’t think that weight gain really helped him last year. Quite the opposite and he still had issues absorbing contact at the rim
Yet he still averaged the 2nd highest ppg total of his career to date (23.2) while shooting above his career average from the field. His FT shooting even improved.

And he was even better once the team acquired Sabonis.

The results don’t exactly support your opinion.