2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

I think it's pretty much assumed we're banking on Brown being a miracle worker after letting one of our only good defenders walk out the door without a QO. So if we're going to punt defense, we may as well be good on O, which Monk is an upgrade on over DDV and Holiday.
Brown has no choice but to walk on water with those two on the perimeter. Turnstiles. Color me not impressed with the direction.

The Kings acquiring Holiday and trying to play him at 2 made a lot sense to me. Length and defending on the perimeter.

Monk + Fox are like 6'4 (maybe) and 6'3. An undersized and zero defending starting back court is a complete head scratcher. Brown better be a miracle worker if that is indeed the starting back court. Now, if the intent is for Monk to be a 6th man? I can get behind that.
They don't carry much beef but both do have pretty good length. Yes, still quite undersized overall though. I don't know how Monk can be a 6th man moving forward unless Davion starts and then you go from undersized to insanely undersized, haha.

Brown has no choice but to walk on water with those two on the perimeter. Turnstiles. Color me not impressed with the direction.
Yeah I dunno. My thinking with Monk back on my initial FA list is he would have been an outstanding pairing with DDV to make a great defense/offense 2 guard rotation. Fox/DDV/Mitchell/Monk would have been a super explosive young back-court that checks all the boxes and all compatible with each other. Removing DDV out of that though and there's a big hole with perimeter defense. Maybe they find a way to get GPII somehow as well? Okogie?

The Kings acquiring Holiday and trying to play him at 2 made a lot sense to me. Length and defending on the perimeter.

Monk + Fox is like 6'4 (maybe) and 6'3. An undersized and zero defending starting back court is a complete head scratcher. Brown better be a miracle worker if that is indeed the starting back court. Now, if the intent is for Monk to be a 6th man? I can get behind that.
Holiday is a SLOW station to station SG.... With Fox and Monk they can whip the ball around and put defenses on their heels.. Monk has a fast trigger on his J and jumps very high to get it off.

Same with DDV, these players are SLOW compared to Monk. These guys are a pumpfake into 1 dribble and then a midrange J guys.. Monk can get into the lane (and pass from the drive) or shoot his floater.

the word is dynamic... The offense can be far more dynamic with a player like Monk..

I'll tell ya who its good for too on the roster -- Sabonis, he will have an easier time getting high percentage looks (and assists).. Also stands to reason it'll benefit Keegan Murray, who will also convert a very high percentage of his shots if we can move defenses around and make them react instead of anticipate.

The Kings were bottom half of the league in FG % and tied for 7th worst in the league in 3pt shooting percentage, the additions we've made this summer all will help improve that..

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I get what you're saying, but that's not totally the case, in fact, this would be a total Fox call. They know eachother. The question is whether or not this move puts the Kings in a position to compete and whether Monk can continue to play at this level or it was a contract year thing.
The question is whether Monk is a starter in the NBA. My answer: No way. If you can get a legit starting 2G and then have Monk come off the bench, then hip, hip hurray. But I'll believe that when I see it. Also, if you're trying to get a team identity of defense and toughness then substituting Monk for DDV is counterproductive, to put it mildly. Your team just got worse defensively.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah I dunno. My thinking with Monk back on my initial FA list is he would have been an outstanding pairing with DDV to make a great defense/offense 2 guard rotation. Fox/DDV/Mitchell/Monk would have been a super explosive young back-court that checks all the boxes and all compatible with each other. Removing DDV out of that though and there's a big hole with perimeter defense. Maybe they find a way to get GPII somehow as well? Okogie?
Bingo.

Yea, I don't know. Maybe they'll force feed Holiday into that 2 spot again. As is, the Kings are looking at a repeat of last year. Score 140, but still lose by 15.

The one benefit i see with Monk vs Buddy is that he actually doesnt make dumb bonehead Buddy type plays. He tries to play within himself. In Charlotte he was sorely lacking confidence. In LA LeBron did a good job mentoring him back to a serviceable player, and here is will be in the loving embrace of his BFF Fox who is the franchise player. So his head will at least be straight. They will be as fast in the open court as Ivey and Fox would have been too...BUT he plays zero defense. Not sure he knows how. Hopefully mike brown can fix it. I think he and DDV are a wash as far as helping this team win, they just do it differently. Not sure anything done this post season helps us win now (keegan though. I think will help win in the future).
Monk has much better handles than Buddy. Between the two, I think Mike Brown has a much better chance getting Monk to be at least respectable level then Buddy

The question is whether Monk is a starter in the NBA. My answer: No way If you can get a legit starting 2G and then have Monk come off the bench, then hip, hip hurray. But I'll believe that when I see it. Also, if you're trying to get a team identity of defense and toughness then substituting Monk for DDV is counterproductive, to put it mildly. Your team just got worse defensively.
I think Monk is a starter, absolutely. Or at least a guy deserving of starter minutes. Question is, can a Fox-Monk starting rotation anchored by Sabonis ever be better than like 24th on defense? Probably not.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Monk is a starter, absolutely. Or at least a guy deserving of starter minutes. Question is, can a Fox-Monk starting rotation anchored by Sabonis ever be better than like 24th on defense? Probably not.
depends on how confident Mike Brown is in Fox’s defense.

Yea, I don't know. Maybe they'll force feed Holiday into that 2 spot again. As is, the Kings are looking at a repeat of last year. Score 140, but still lose by 15.
The difference is we might actually be a good offensive team this year while playing fast (faster?). That's going to be the only route to wins; we certainly aren't going to be winning many slow-paced slugfests 101-98. Turn the jets on and bring back that "Scores" mentality where teams are tired by the start of the 4th.

You know me. I think faster is the wrong direction. We'll see.
This is such a bad take.. We have De'Aaron Fox the fastest player in the league going left, why would we want to play slow?

The Kings not only have guys who are fast but they fake fast, and then can drive and pass. this is what will open the offense up. Having station to station 3pt shooters will allow defenses to key in on Fox. Now we can make the opposition pay much quicker for making bad switches and give them less time to recover on cuts, and give them less spots they can hide sub-optimal defenders

Keegan murray thrives in transition and is a very effective cherry picker, Monk too. Why would we not want to speed teams up and get them to play our pace.

The brand of basketball will be much more enjoyable to watch too. Having the ball whip around crisply without players who use much of the shotclock is infectious and hopefully can spark a big turnaround in the 3pt shooting and success will follow that.

Last edited:
I understand the issues with Monk as a defender, but Kings 100% need perimeter shooters, and as much potential as DDV showed in that area, he didn’t get it done. With Fox and Ox manning their roles, 3 pt shooters are absolutely crucial for clearing out space to let those guys do their things and balance out the offense. I have concerns about the defensive end as well, but without shooters around our 2 best players, it doesn’t matter how good the defense is.

This is such a bad take.. The Kings not only have guys who are fast but they fake fast, and then can drive and pass. this is what will open the offense up. Having station to station 3pt shooters will allow defenses to key in on Fox.

The brand of basketball will be much more enjoyable to watch too. Having the ball whip around crisply without players who use much of the shotclock.
I don't necessarily want "enjoyable", though. I want what gets us wins. What gets us back to the playoffs. What has the best potential to make us championship contenders. If "enjoyable" does the trick, then so be it. But if we have to go down the same route that San Antonio took, and implement a defense that, in its natural form, slows down the game, then I will gladly accept that style of basketball. Not enjoyable to some, but the rest of us won't care as long as it gets us wins. And rings.