Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
True. However, I think one difference is that he would have been an RFA, which would have given us more leverage. Not that you want to get there with such a major piece, but the option to negotiate is there.

Unless I am wrong about this, I don't think we have that option with Sabonis.
We do not. However, it has been mentioned in the past that the Kings have lost very few players in unrestricted free agency who they really wanted to keep.

It's become increasingly clear to me that, more than anything else, Monte McNair is betting on... himself! He picked Tyrese Haliburton at 12 in 2020 and Davion Mitchell at 9 in 2021. With De'Aaron Fox already in the starting lineup, these selections created a logjam at the PG position that had rather predictable consequences with respect to suppressing the impact of all three players (and I think recency bias may have played a part in Kings fans forgetting how poorly Hali was playing early this season... and just how outstanding Fox was last season).

While I was advocating for a variety of wings in the last two drafts, Monte was picking whom he thought was the best player available. He was stockpiling the best young talent he could get his hands on to position himself to take a big swing when the time was right. He did not hesitate to move on from his 2020 draft selection despite the fact that Haliburton likely represents the only Kings acquisition in the last decade that's been universally lauded. Even though I was pretty firmly in the rebuild camp prior to the trade, I have still felt compelled to keep banging on this drum: Monte McNair traded for a 25-year-old two-time all-star just entering his prime while parting with only a single asset of note. That never happens in the NBA, especially if said player has not demanded a trade and is not a malcontent who threatens to poison the well upon arrival.

Regardless of whether or not ownership is demanding a "win now" approach from Monte, it takes some balls of brass to ship out a fan favorite and Twittersphere obsession who's easy to love, who's an easy fit alongside most players, who's style of play is in-demand, and who's on a rookie scale deal. Pundits around the league and many Kings fans may have been left scratching their heads, because conventional wisdom certainly suggested that the Kings would be better off bottoming out and building around Haliburton/Mitchell/[2022 first round draft pick]. That's what I wanted, even if it wasn't what I expected.

But neither was I expecting McNair to pull a damn rabbit out of his hat. Domantas Sabonis is only 25 years old. De'Aaron Fox is only 24 years old. They have a lot of prime basketball left in front of them. They may not be able to put together a dynastic-styled run of success, but if the Kings are seeking respectability and legitimacy for the first time in the last fifteen years, they could do worse than competing in the playoffs for a half-decade or so on the backs of these two young talents. There remain many questions about how to actually build a sustainable winner around Fox/Sabonis. Perhaps a few answers were hinted at in the rather surprising win tonight against the Timberwolves. Now Monte's got to do the real work of making it happen. Trade deadline's tomorrow. Curious to see if he's got anything else up his sleeve.

Regardless of whether or not ownership is demanding a "win now" approach from Monte, it takes some balls of brass to ship out a fan favorite and Twittersphere obsession who's easy to love, who's an easy fit alongside most players, who's style of play is in-demand, and who's on a rookie scale deal. Pundits around the league and many Kings fans may have been left scratching their heads, because conventional wisdom certainly suggested that the Kings would be better off bottoming out and building around Haliburton/Mitchell/[2022 first round draft pick]. That's what I wanted, even if it wasn't what I expected.
This. Monte knew what the reaction was going to be when he pulled the trigger on that trade. Can't say the dude doesn't have stones. I hope this puts to rest the narrative that all he's doing is sitting on his hands waiting for easy trades to come to him. It sounds like he went out, identified his target, and did what it took to get him. And I know it's only one game, but it's looking like he might just be on to something here.

This. Monte knew what the reaction was going to be when he pulled the trigger on that trade. Can't say the dude doesn't have stones. I hope this puts to rest the narrative that all he's doing is sitting on his hands waiting for easy trades to come to him. It sounds like he went out, identified his target, and did what it took to get him. And I know it's only one game, but it's looking like he might just be on to something here.
I like that Monte always does his homework. Sabonis addresses a lot of our scoring, rebounding and passing issues while being a tough pro. Minny is not known for their defense but the improved spacing that a legit inside presence provides is undeniable. Picking up Holiday and Lamb while getting out of Hield's contract is genius. Both of these players work so well with Sabonis and give us solid wings with excellent length.

What's crazy is it didn't even take that much. I know that might sound like heresy around these parts given how popular Tyrese Haliburton has become, and I know that most would have preferred if Fox had been shipped out in the deal instead, but setting aside speculation that McNair tried to shop Fox to Indiana and others before pulling the trigger on trading Haliburton, it's still a trade McNair clearly won in my eyes. Not only did McNair get the best player in the trade (a 25-year-old two-time all-star and analytics juggernaut just entering his prime), but he snagged a couple of versatile utility wings whose affordable contracts are winding down and he dumped Buddy's contract, to boot!

Buddy Hield has utility for the right team/the right system, and there will always be the occasional game where he simply cannot miss from three, but many are in for a seriously rude awakening if they believe that Hield is a prized asset the Kings should be ridiculed for including in the deal rather than a sh*tty contract the Kings should be grateful they were able to dump.

My opinion certainly does not represent the prevailing view, but this would be a trade that the talking heads would categorize as a heist if it were any other team receiving Domantas Sabonis. The Kings parted with only a single noteworthy asset. They kept all of their first rounders. They didn't even trade a second rounder! They got out from under Hield's contract in the process! They didn't take on any deadweight or commit to any pricey, long-term role players! If not for the risk of Sabonis walking at the end of his second year with the team, this might be the least KANGZ-iest trade they've ever made! Yet they're supposed to be the losers in this deal?! The f*** outta here with that nonsense.

Tyrese Haliburton is a very promising young talent. He's super easy to like. He's a consummate professional and the kind of glue guy that any and every team would want on their roster. But is he a surefire all-star? Does he vault the Pacers back into playoff contention? Will he guarantee future success for that franchise? I like the kid a lot, but I'm not ready to make that bet.

To be clear, I don't know that Sabonis necessarily delivers the Kings back to the promised land, either, and I still have some reservations about a Fox/Sabonis pairing. But I also have a bit of optimism about the chances for a franchise anchored by an all-star big man who, as a passer, is second only to the greatest passing big man in NBA history, paired with the fastest PG in the league who is a fringe all-star candidate himself and has time yet to reach that echelon.

You guys did it to us again....you fleeced us in the Artest deal....now u fleeced us with the Sabonis deal...

Good to see things work out nicely for Sabas and company in their first game...he possesses skills that have almost become a forgotten art for big men these days....we are flat out stupid for never really using him in a way to maximize his capabilities or give him his due....Shame on us...

He is tough...He is highly skilled...He has incredible basketball IQ...He was our best player...and you practically stole him :)

We will regret this move for many, many years to come..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You guys did it to us again....you fleeced us in the Artest deal....now u fleeced us with the Sabonis deal...

Good to see things work out nicely for Sabas and company in their first game...he possesses skills that have almost become a forgotten art for big men these days....we are flat out stupid for never really using him in a way to maximize his capabilities or give him his due....Shame on us...

He is tough...He is highly skilled...He has incredible basketball IQ...He was our best player...and you practically stole him :)

We will regret this move for many, many years to come..
Nah man, you guys are really really going to enjoy Tyrese. The kid’s got a winning personality and has BBIQ out the wazzo. Hopefully Carlisle figures out how to really get him shift Into attack mode because if he does, you’ll have you new star to replace Domantas.
as for Buddy, you’ll enjoy the one or two random games a month when he randomly catches fire and goes 8 for 11 from three or something. He’s also for better or worse one of the more entertaining watches in the league.

all in all, I think this is one of the rare trades that could really work out for both teams. I hope you all will treat Tyrese well and I promise we’ll do the same with Sabonis.

Nah man, you guys are really really going to enjoy Tyrese. The kid’s got a winning personality and has BBIQ out the wazzo. Hopefully Carlisle figures out how to really get him shift Into attack mode because if he does, you’ll have you new star to replace Domantas.
as for Buddy, you’ll enjoy the one or two random games a month when he randomly catches fire and goes 8 for 11 from three or something. He’s also for better or worse one of the more entertaining watches in the league.

all in all, I think this is one of the rare trades that could really work out for both teams. I hope you all will treat Tyrese well and I promise we’ll do the same with Sabonis.
absolutely, I hope this trade works out well for both teams. Hated Reggie Miller but otherwise nothing but love for the Pacers.

What's crazy is it didn't even take that much. I know that might sound like heresy around these parts given how popular Tyrese Haliburton has become, and I know that most would have preferred if Fox had been shipped out in the deal instead, but setting aside speculation that McNair tried to shop Fox to Indiana and others before pulling the trigger on trading Haliburton, it's still a trade McNair clearly won in my eyes. Not only did McNair get the best player in the trade (a 25-year-old two-time all-star and analytics juggernaut just entering his prime), but he snagged a couple of versatile utility wings whose affordable contracts are winding down and he dumped Buddy's contract, to boot!

Buddy Hield has utility for the right team/the right system, and there will always be the occasional game where he simply cannot miss from three, but many are in for a seriously rude awakening if they believe that Hield is a prized asset the Kings should be ridiculed for including in the deal rather than a sh*tty contract the Kings should be grateful they were able to dump.

My opinion certainly does not represent the prevailing view, but this would be a trade that the talking heads would categorize as a heist if it were any other team receiving Domantas Sabonis. The Kings parted with only a single noteworthy asset. They kept all of their first rounders. They didn't even trade a second rounder! They got out from under Hield's contract in the process! They didn't take on any deadweight or commit to any pricey, long-term role players! If not for the risk of Sabonis walking at the end of his second year with the team, this might be the least KANGZ-iest trade they've ever made! Yet they're supposed to be the losers in this deal?! The f*** outta here with that nonsense.

Tyrese Haliburton is a very promising young talent. He's super easy to like. He's a consummate professional and the kind of glue guy that any and every team would want on their roster. But is he a surefire all-star? Does he vault the Pacers back into playoff contention? Will he guarantee future success for that franchise? I like the kid a lot, but I'm not ready to make that bet.

To be clear, I don't know that Sabonis necessarily delivers the Kings back to the promised land, either, and I still have some reservations about a Fox/Sabonis pairing. But I also have a bit of optimism about the chances for a franchise anchored by an all-star big man who, as a passer, is second only to the greatest passing big man in NBA history, paired with the fastest PG in the league who is a fringe all-star candidate himself and has time yet to reach that echelon.
The initial reaction was solely focused on who the Kings gave up. Not on the return. Speaking for myself, I’ve rated Sabonis highly for a long time and stated that the value was fine. It was purely the gut punch of losing the one player, who I deemed to be untouchable. And I think Tyrese is going to become a perennial all star in Indy, so over the long term it’s going be a win for both teams.

That said, the initial return looks positive. The two things that I overlooked were Sabonis’ toughness and Holiday’s connecting. I have felt, for sometime, that the Kings need two connectors on offense and two connectors on defense. The Kings have their two offensive connectors in Sabonis and Holiday. They need another defensive connector, which I suspect they’ll get later today (Grant?), and they also reshaped the team’s toughness by anchoring it with Sabonis with Davion.