Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

People like to talk about how bad Sabonis is at defense or whatever but he’s honestly better than most of the bigs we already have on the roster on that end.
yeah I watched enough highlights to see that he’s a capable and willing defender. I’m more interested in how Holiday and Lamb fit in the rotation as they actually have some size and length

Jeremy Lamb - 6’11 wingspan
Justin Holiday- 6’11.5 wingspan

FINALLY

The last couple of weeks has given us the blueprint to competent defense though. Davion on the point of attack and Harkless pressuring off the backside, have the big play adjusted drop. Don’t know why it took us half a season to realize that our defense would improve if we started using our best defenders but it’s finally happening.
Bill Waltons Son may have had something to do with that

I think the FO knows that part of Fox's regression was due to Haliburton's great play. It's not like they could tell the coach to put the ball in Haliburton's hands less, and Fox is not an off-guard. I still have a hard time believing that Fox can't play as well as he did last year. I think they ultimately saw Haliburton's level of play this year as an opportunity to swap for a high-level player at a position that will still allow Fox to have the ball in his hands at a high rate. I think it will work out. More minutes for Davion as well.

I think the FO knows that part of Fox's regression was due to Haliburton's great play. It's not like they could tell the coach to put the ball in Haliburton's hands less, and Fox is not an off-guard. I still have a hard time believing that Fox can't play as well as he did last year. I think they ultimately saw Haliburton's level of play this year as an opportunity to swap for a high-level player at a position that will still allow Fox to have the ball in his hands at a high rate. I think it will work out. More minutes for Davion as well.
And Terence Davis is the Bahamian's logical replacement (much cheaper contract) to go forward as well.

Last edited:
yeah I watched enough highlights to see that he’s a capable and willing defender. I’m more interested in how Holiday and Lamb fit in the rotation as they actually have some size and length

Jeremy Lamb - 6’11 wingspan
Justin Holiday- 6’11.5 wingspan

FINALLY
And Lamb is a smart off the ball mover. This is a much welcome boost. I think he can turn it around in Sac if given a consistent role.

because at least - ON PAPER - we actually got the best player .
Not in the long term, they didn’t.

I don’t even remotely believe Sabonis is the better basketball player in the here and now.

I’d be willing to bet that if both players were made available to all teams, Tyrese would be more in demand.

Not in the long term, they didn’t.

I don’t even remotely believe Sabonis is the better basketball player in the here and now.

I’d be willing to bet that if both players were made available to all teams, Tyrese would be more in demand.
I'm not sure I don't agree in some ways, but Sabonis is better now. For sure. Tyrese could be more in demand but this is why you can't build 3 PG teams. It doesn't work. At least Monte used Haliburtons uptick at the right time rather than waiting for him to potentially regress as time went on next to Fox.

And Terence Davis is the Bahamian's logical replacement (much cheaper contract) to go forward as well.
I don't know if he is the replacement, but he sure made Buddy expendable, didn't he?

The way I see this whole thing is that we lucked out and got a really good player with the #12 pick 2 years ago, which ultimately netted us Sabonis.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Monte traded potential for an established All-star player. This is one reason why Monte's BPA approach is the right approach because if you have redundant positions, you can trade one of them for an asset. Hali needs the ball in his hands to be effective and so too does Fox. Monte made the decision that Fox is his guy for the time being and I'm okay with that decision. Fox needs to get right mentally and physically and only then will we witness his true potential. In the meantime, I hope they keep the lottery pick and go BPA again and continue to surround Fox and Sabonis with complimentary talent.

I'm not sure I don't agree in some ways, but Sabonis is better now.
Based upon what?

As a basketball player, Tyrese clearly is far more skilled. Better passer, play maker, shooter and scorer from anywhere on the court. He’s a guard. A wing. A ball handler. And FAR more impactful than a 20/10 dude that needs others to get him involved. And will never be a go to player with the game on the line. Most bigs aren’t.

This isn’t Shaquille O’Neal or Tim Duncan were talking about here. He’s only considered good in a league devoid of traditional big men. And he doesn’t provide a Ben Wallace type impact defensively.

So he grabs some rebounds and makes some nice passes for a big man. Big freaking deal. The KINGS already had that in DeMarcus Cousins, who was a better version of Sabonis. And selected also as an All-Star (which means $&#@). They won nothing.

And the league has tilted even further toward guards and wings since that time.

It’s like nobody considers why Indiana was willing to give up Sabonis for Tyrese. Because they know he’s the better player now and for the future too. And their evaluation is far more qualified than the KINGS. Period, end of story.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Monte traded potential for an established All-star player. This is one reason why Monte's BPA approach is the right approach because if you have redundant positions, you can trade one of them for an asset. Hali needs the ball in his hands to be effective and so too does Fox. Monte made the decision that Fox is his guy for the time being and I'm okay with that decision. Fox needs to get right mentally and physically and only then will we witness his true potential. In the meantime, I hope they keep the lottery pick and go BPA again and continue to surround Fox and Sabonis with complimentary talent.
There's a lot of truth here - taking BPA and then managing assets accordingly can net solid returns.

But I have a couple of (obvious) thoughts (not necessarily for kingsboi, just in general):

I think Monte would rather have kept Tyrese over Fox due to style of play and contract, but Fox couldn't bring the right return in this trade. Indy probably demanded that Tyrese be included instead. It takes two to tango, and I think some here just keep assuming that it was OUR decision to trade Tyrese instead of Fox (as if either was equal to Indy in trade).

We still have 1.5 days left until the deadline. Who says Fox (or any Kings player) is still here on Friday, or after this summer? I see a lot of certainty in statements in this thread about who will be here and who won't - who we build around long term, etc. I see Sabonis as a key to our future success, as that was who Monte wanted. But trading Tyrese should be a clue that nobody is untradable on this team for the right return.

If Fox cannot win with this l (healthy) line up he's officially a scrub, it's on him now he's got shooters and another way above average scorer with him to take the pressure off.

I mean, we really wanted Sabonis. It was pretty clear reading the tea leaves he was option 2 behind Simmons if that was even really there. Perhaps we have another trade or two lined up that will make it make more sense two. Surely Monte knows what he can get for Holmes or Barnes and factored that in. And please, if "other GMs knew" like they don't call and ask? Maybe they called and low-balled and now they're butt hurt about it? I am guessing suddenly other GMs have their feet to the fire because a promising young player went out nobody thought was gettable?
Exactly. Announcing every move and letting a bunch of other teams in on certain plans, is exactly how we lost Bogie for nothing. We don't owe these teams anything or any special courtesy when Sabonis was clearly our guy all along. It's not about Haliburton being on the trading block because he clearly wasn't. A deal you may not refuse is different than someone flat out being on the trading block IMO.