Welcome Davion Mitchell

Here’s what Donovan Mitchell had to say about the rookie after the game: “First off, he’s as advertised. … He’s physical. He’s quick, you know, does a lot of solid things defensively. That disrupted not only myself but a lot of us, you know? He set the tone defensively, you know, got the crowd involved. … They call him ‘Off Night,’ you know, and they feed off of that. In my five years, this is probably the most physical I would say that (the Kings) have been as far as kind of hitting and doing those things.”

it's fun to imagine what he can be if he actually develops into an offensive threat on top of his elite defense
Time will tell and hopefully he'll be a force on both ends, but needless to say, such players are very very rare.

While in no way qualified to make such statements, I guess the preparation, both mental and physical, is quite different for the two ends of the court. The current structure of the team does him no favors, as he will often be asked to guard bigger players. Additionally, the team has multiple offensive players, but few (none) that have the elite defensive mentality that's his signature. That might change over time though.

Of course, we don't need him to be an elite offensive weapon. If he can (and he should as he and the team get more familiar with the game and his role in the team), be a better offensive threat/facilitator, it will help us a lot.

1. How insane is it this dude has a 4 min defensive highlight reel in 2 games?

2. I think this is why he's been short on a lot of his jumpers. He's exerting so much energy on defense, that he's losing his legs on offense. Something for him to work on for sure to be a little more balanced in how he uses his energy.
At 2:42, I don't know how he stays on his feet during that play. I would bet that 95% of the players would be on their ass after trying to make a cut like that. His balance is insane and it's a very good sign that the refs have been letting him play so far. Good timing for the league to start attempting to crack down on the terrible officiating.

That strip on Donovan is easily the best defensive play of the year for this team. The bench and crowd went nuts.

Here’s what Donovan Mitchell had to say about the rookie after the game: “First off, he’s as advertised. … He’s physical. He’s quick, you know, does a lot of solid things defensively. That disrupted not only myself but a lot of us, you know? He set the tone defensively, you know, got the crowd involved. … They call him ‘Off Night,’ you know, and they feed off of that. In my five years, this is probably the most physical I would say that (the Kings) have been as far as kind of hitting and doing those things.”
I think it really does pump everyone up, especially the crowd. Fox has honestly been significantly better on defense to start the year than offense and his ball-pressure has been really impressive as well. Just makes sense too where you don't want to be the guy lagging on defense while you watch Mitchell work his ass off against some of the best offensive players in the league.

It’s only been two games so far, so yeah small sample size and all that. But this kid is a stud. Barring injury, he absolutely will be a candidate for ROY and DPOY. He’s a godsend for the Kings.

Davion loves it here in Sacramento and loved our story of helping to keep our Kings in Sacramento. #BiggerThanBasketball
When we picked him on draft night, I was worried he was pissed to get drafted by the kings. Just didn’t have a pleasant expression. Now I realize that’s basically his only expression. The dude is just intense, cold steel AT ALL TIMES. Every picture is the same. Hahah.

I’m not so sure he will ever be a vocal rah rah leader, but I suspect he will be the heart and soul of this team, and quiet leader, for a long time.

Yet another thing to love about Davion: he's absolutely unperturbable. When Whiteside decked him on that pick (and picked up the foul), what does Davion do? Bounce up and walk back on offense. I don't think he even looked at Hassan. Someone described Whiteside's shot as a "message," but, if so, I don't think it was received.

Ingles was ejected for bodying Davion as he was flying in for a massive dunk. I don't think it was deliberate but it was definitely very dangerous and in the heat of the moment Davion could be forgiven for taking issue with it. What does he do? Again, bounce to this feet, accept Ingles' apology, keep chomping that gum. Completely untroubled, by the look of it.

I love that. And it's important. He's a rookie who'll be buggin' the crap out of a LOT of guys this year and beyond. Some will bark at him, get physical with him, try to get under his skin. Looks like that won't be easy to do!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes, his defense is extraordinary. But it's his intangibles that will cause a major shift in this team in the fullness of time. I see someone who is not willing to compromise the will to win for anything. Longer term, players not willing to adopt his mentality will be jettisoned. He's the winnower - if you don't buy into his fierce winning mentality, you're going to be gone.

Any thoughts on Off night 8 games into the season? I'm liking some of his finishes at the rim. The shot looks good overall. I am sure it will take some time to adjust to the way teams are screening him but his defense has been kinda just ok (at least by his standards) He has gotten roasted by backups more than I expected. I really hope he finds his groove on D because a lot of losses could turn into close wins if he does.

Any thoughts on Off night 8 games into the season? I'm liking some of his finishes at the rim. The shot looks good overall. I am sure it will take some time to adjust to the way teams are screening him but his defense has been kinda just ok (at least by his standards) He has gotten roasted by backups more than I expected. I really hope he finds his groove on D because a lot of losses could turn into close wins if he does.
Uhh what? Davion has been the best defensive player on the team, fairly easily.

Uhh what? Davion has been the best defensive player on the team, fairly easily.
He has been solid no doubt but I wouldn't say he has been spectacular. He is 20th I think in Defensive win shares which is very good for a rookie I just haven't seen as much disruption the last few games. He did struggle against Elf and has been blown by more than I expected. Still early and I assume he will get even better as the season progresses.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He has been solid no doubt but I wouldn't say he has been spectacular. He is 20th I think in Defensive win shares which is very good for a rookie I just haven't seen as much disruption the last few games. He did struggle against Elf and has been blown by more than I expected. Still early and I assume he will get even better as the season progresses.
ya, he’s guessed wrong a bunch of times on these non-stars moves these last few games.

Man, I don't know what your expectation for him was then if you don't think he's been a spectacular defensive player, regardless of being a rookie or not. He's had an utter murderers row of offensive guards in the early stretch of the year and has given them an extremely tough assignment and played them better than we've seen a Kings player do probably since Doug Christie almost 20 years ago. And while the offense has been a bit inconsistent, you see the signs (especially after tonights game) of him developing into a force on that end as well.

I get what Jamal is saying, but I get what you’re saying as well. There have been more than a few underwhelming moments against backup guards. ”More than I expected”, just as you stated.

But I’m also sure my expectations are way too high. On the whole, he’s been very good for a rookie.