2021 Free Agency Mega Thread

Do the Kings make a surprise Free Agency splash?

• Total voters

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I guess this move cost us 1 or 2 million in luxury tax refunds but I'm kinda laughing at dudes that went to LA being shipped to Memphis. If Kings did that nobody would ever ... oh nevermind.

Whats your deal against Fox? You impressively find a way to bring him into every conversation and how "flawed" he is as a player. Are you secretly Lonzo Ball?
Well I don't see anything about me talking about Fox's flaws at all in that post. And I've only been talking about Fox because there are lots of other posters who aren't even considering trading him for Simmons or other star players, while I am of the position that doing so given the current roster makeup might be better for the TEAM. By nature of such an argument, I'm going to be pointing out his flaws more often than I'm focusing on his strengths, since those are already covered by the posters I'm debating. For all the talk about how I'm always the guy with some sort of shtick for either Buddy or Fox, I'm also one of the few who actually attempts to put forward an argument with reasoning and stats, something that used to be a lot more commonplace here. You're no stranger to that, being one of the first few "advanced stats" guys here from a decade ago. 90% of the "arguments" here today consist of pure sentimental/eye-test logic (Buddy is dumb! Fox wants to be here! Hali speaks so well to the media! Harrison Barnes is such a professional!), and you wonder why I feel the need to pick on them? I believe you recently made a post saying that Buddy's production can be replicated by Terrence Davis and Ramsey. I mean, do you really believe that is a reasonable judgment on such a small sample size for Davis and Ramsey playing well for 3 summer league games? Start the "Fox will never improve, let's trade him for Mike Conley" thread and I'll be in there pointing out Fox's strengths (if no one else does).

In this particular instance though my post really had nothing to do with Fox, and everything to do with taking a lighthearted jab at Kings fans lol, in particular Tetsu who bashes 90% of what other teams do, while for the Kings he defends 95% of what they do (in all fairness he actually bashes 100% of what they do in hour 1, then "comes around" by hour 2).

Last edited:
Well I don't see anything about me talking about Fox's flaws at all in that post. And I've only been talking about Fox because there are lots of other posters who aren't even considering trading him for Simmons or other star players, while I am of the position that doing so given the current roster makeup might be better for the TEAM. By nature of such an argument, I'm going to be pointing out his flaws more often than I'm focusing on his strengths, since those are already covered by the posters I'm debating. For all the talk about how I'm always the guy with some sort of shtick for either Buddy or Fox, I'm also one of the few who actually attempts to put forward an argument with reasoning and stats, something that used to be a lot more commonplace here. You're no stranger to that, being one of the first few "advanced stats" guys here from a decade ago. 90% of the "arguments" here today consist of pure sentimental/eye-test logic (Buddy is dumb! Fox wants to be here! Hali speaks so well to the media! Harrison Barnes is such a professional!), and you wonder why I feel the need to pick on them? I believe you recently made a post saying that Buddy's production can be replicated by Terrence Davis and Ramsey. I mean, do you really believe that is a reasonable judgment on such a small sample size for Davis and Ramsey playing well for 3 summer league games? Start the "Fox will never improve, let's trade him for Mike Conley" thread and I'll be in there pointing out Fox's strengths (if no one else does).

In this particular instance though my post really had nothing to do with Fox, and everything to do with taking a lighthearted jab at Kings fans lol, in particular Tetsu who bashes 90% of what other teams do, while for the Kings he defends 95% of what they do (in all fairness he actually bashes 100% of what they do in hour 1, then "comes around" by hour 2).
Fair post but paragraphs would be nice :)

Fair enough! Good post. It was just an observation because I do enjoy reading your stuff and it had gotten... a little sole-focused on Fox with every topic related to the Kings. But I get it.

I'll clarify the TD/Ramsey comment a bit more; it's a production/$ sentiment. They cost a combined 5 mil while Buddy is 22 mil. Buddy is clearly the better player, but he's not worth 4x the money if you replaced his minutes with TD and Ramsey.

Now, something I'm really coming around on is Buddy just moving to the 3 90% of the time, something I'm not confident TD or Ramsey could do for big minutes. We have a big sample last season of us having a dominant lineup with him at the 3. There just aren't that many dominant scoring wings that would truly take advantage on defense. I think it's actual a really good move for him because he is a bulkier/stronger player with bad lateral quickness, but with the big wingspan. That helps matched up on the bigger/slower wings rather than him trying to stay in front of guards, which he struggles with. Buddy as a guard doesn't have a future with this team; Buddy as a 3 however could very well continue to be a core player for the next few years. I think that drastically changes his outlook

If Kings made this trade you'd probably be all "Fox learning from Rondo and facing Bev in practice can only be a good thing. Finally some dogs on the team! #FoxMVP2022"
yah I’m surprised our fans are still have glass is half full mentality when it’s never been half full for forever. #BeRealistic

Fair enough! Good post. It was just an observation because I do enjoy reading your stuff and it had gotten... a little sole-focused on Fox with every topic related to the Kings. But I get it.

I'll clarify the TD/Ramsey comment a bit more; it's a production/$ sentiment. They cost a combined 5 mil while Buddy is 22 mil. Buddy is clearly the better player, but he's not worth 4x the money if you replaced his minutes with TD and Ramsey.
Actually, I don't think Buddy is "clearly" a better 2-guard than Davis when both ends of the floor are taken into account. Certainly, Buddy has the better 3-ball, which is important, and appears to be physically stronger. But, hypothetically, no, subbing Davis for Buddy over 30 min would not make the Kings' starting lineup appreciably weaker IMO. And when you take the salaries into account...

Actually, I don't think Buddy is "clearly" a better 2-guard than Davis when both ends of the floor are taken into account. Certainly, Buddy has the better 3-ball, which is important, and appears to be physically stronger. But, hypothetically, no, subbing Davis for Buddy over 30 min would not make the Kings' starting lineup appreciably weaker IMO. And when you take the salaries into account...
Depends if Davis can rebound some of his rookie defensive form. He took a massive massive leap back last season compared to what he did as a rookie.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's the maximum he could get based on the last year of his current contract
Is it just because it's an extension? I'm not saying he should get more just confused why a 7 year vet with one team isn't eligible for even 20 per but most guys on the end of their first contract seem to want that minimum even when they are garbage.

think moe harkless is overlooked by this board. He’s a jumbo wing, who is just entering his prime.
Indeed.

Metu, Harkless, King, Buddy, even Bags - I'd much prefer to see what those guys can do than add Hart, Oubre, Markkanen... If we can't get someone who would really upgrade the spot opposite HB then the only very plausible gettable I'm genuinely curious about is Vanderbilt. The_Jamal has done a nice job selling his virtues. More defense and rebounding would be welcome.

Is it just because it's an extension? I'm not saying he should get more just confused why a 7 year vet with one team isn't eligible for even 20 per but most guys on the end of their first contract seem to want that minimum even when they are garbage.
I'm not what criteria makes it so, but he was only eligible for an extension that started at 120% of his 21-22 salary. I'm assuming they used his bird rights and each year his salary goes up 8%, but I'm not sure on that at all