[Game] Kings @ Mavs, Sunday May 2nd, 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern

My fear heading into this summer has been that in order to create potentially necessary cap space they'll use Bagley in a dump. If they do that it's a yikes of epic proportions.
His inability to stay on the court is my only concern (besides his dad). I would like to see what he can do under Monte's preferred coach and system. I hope we get that chance next season. But I think that means finding a taker for Buddy.

At what point does Holmes go from being a helluva a steal at 6m per to whatever the current overpay for an MLE level meme player is?
Honestly, for them he might be worth far more. They are obviously looking specifically for a pnr partner for Luka. Holmes isn't as offensively talented as Collins but his defense and ability to play center while eventually making less than Collins would be my first choice if I were them. In fact, looking at the stats Holmes is one of the best pnr bigs in the NBA. He's up around the 85th percentile.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/roll-man/?sort=PERCENTILE&dir=1&CF=POSS*GE*3:pLAYER_NAME*E*&SeasonType=Regular Season

Well, I’m expecting atleast 4-4 to close out the season, but pretty much all of the games are winnable. Jazz may be sitting everybody last game too....so, yeah.

We are unfortunately not at OKC level. They know when to properly sink to the occasion and won’t be blowing any games vs. us.

While we blow our draft position. I hope Marvin really strings together quite a few games like tonight.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Honestly, for them he might be worth far more. They are obviously looking specifically for a pnr partner for Luka. Holmes isn't as offensively talented as Collins but his defense and ability to play center while eventually making less than Collins would be my first choice if I were them. In fact, looking at the stats Holmes is one of the best pnr bigs in the NBA. He's up around the 85th percentile.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/roll-man/?sort=PERCENTILE&dir=1&CF=POSS*GE*3:pLAYER_NAME*E*&SeasonType=Regular Season
the Mavs number one priority in the off season should be to find a taker for Porzingis

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Like clockwork. Kings are virtually eliminated from a 10 team playoff field (!!) and now it's safe to go on a "feel good" winning streak and secure that all important #10 spot in the lottery. We've got to keep this treadmill going fam! No playoffs and no shot at an elite prospect just like 9 out of 10 Kings seasons is how we manage to stay irrelevant indefinitely. Cheaping out on the head coaching spot is just the icing on the cake.

Here's a bit of a silver lining though -- watching the Kings at the end of the season kindof makes the last 12 months feel like they never even happened. Or was that the last 12 years?

on
Like clockwork. Kings are virtually eliminated from a 10 team playoff field (!!) and now it's safe to go on a "feel good" winning streak and secure that all important #10 seed in the lottery. We've got to keep this treadmill going fam! No playoffs and no shot at an elite prospect just like 9 out of 10 Kings seasons is how we manage to stay irrelevant indefinitely. Cheaping out on the head coaching spot is just the icing on the cake.

Here's a bit of a silver lining though -- watching the Kings at the end of the season kindof makes the last 12 months feel like they never even happened. Or was that the last 12 years?
Lmao, but I mean, so many guys are out and they're playing hard what can you do

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wait..... what Slab????? You being serious that they retain NoCoach Walton for another season??? Or am I detecting sly sarcasm.....hmmmmm but I’ll take the three either way
I don’t think it’s set in stone he’s gone. Especially with these BIG wins against better teams, and some presumed wins against these upcoming bad teams. A strong finish with our best players missing, the team seems to like him. Playing good ball to close the season, why reset everything?!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
on

OKC seems to be managing just fine! Tell your players they'll get a nice fat bonus for laying down or something. Tell Luke that ownership will buy him a Lambo if he stops playing the vets 40 minutes a night. Honestly, I don't know what we can do. It's just that watching this team trip all over themselves in the last 3 weeks and ruin a perfectly decent tank which was months in the making is even worse than slogging through those 9 game losing streaks in February and April because it virtually guarantees next season won't be any better.

on

Right? It’s not like we’re playing fox Barnes buddy holmes and Mo 40+ mins a game. Fox Barnes are out. Holmes was out for awhile. We giving ty, metu, Jones and the new guys more mins. We even see jj and guy get minutes. You can’t make the players tank. You can sit your starters but that’s basically what we did with the injuries. It just so happens these bench guys are playing hard and are squeezing out some wins

SLAB

Hall of Famer
OKC seems to be managing just fine! Tell your players they'll get a nice fat bonus for laying down or something. Tell Luke that ownership will buy him a Lambo if he stops playing the vets 40 minutes a night. Honestly, I don't know what we can do. It's just that watching this team trip all over themselves in the last 3 weeks and ruin a perfectly decent tank which was months in the making is even worse than slogging through those 9 game losing streaks in February and April because it virtually guarantees next season won't be any better.
I wish I could like this multiple times.

Yeah Holmes is a great P&R threat with Luka. He has a high BBIQ and finishes well. The only problem is he isn’t a huge rim protector.

I sure hope Tyrese’s injury isn’t serious. That’d sting hard.

On a lighter note, let the “KINGS are better w/o Tyrese“ narrative officially begin. That campaign can join Swipa and Barnes.

Well, I’m expecting atleast 4-4 to close out the season, but pretty much all of the games are winnable. Jazz may be sitting everybody last game too....so, yeah.

We are unfortunately not at OKC level. They know when to properly sink to the occasion and won’t be blowing any games vs. us.

While we blow our draft position. I hope Marvin really strings together quite a few games like tonight.
Yeah my bet is looking good. I have Buddy Hield the King of winning shots that don’t matter.

I don’t think it’s set in stone he’s gone. Especially with these BIG wins against better teams, and some presumed wins against these upcoming bad teams. A strong finish with our best players missing, the team seems to like him. Playing good ball to close the season, why reset everything?!
I don't know how you can possibly keep him. Just the inconsistency this team displays alone to me that means our biggest impediment isn't scoring in the draft but having a coach that can make adjustments and recognize when the square peg isn't fitting the round hole before a 10 game losing skid.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know how you can possibly keep him. Just the inconsistency this team displays alone to me that means our biggest impediment isn't scoring in the draft but having a coach that can make adjustments and recognize when the square peg isn't fitting the round hole before a 10 game losing skid.
Not saying it’s what I would do. Would just be so on-brand for this franchise how could you not expect it to go down that way?

on

Don’t spend 2nd round draft picks at this stage for players like Wright and Harkless??

I think Davis was okay value but notice the team with who many consider the smartest basketball ops guy in the NBA is close to securing our 7 spot. Apparently Ujiri thought in that draft position sending out Davis for a 2nd was a good idea. If you had to bet your life on it with whom would you cast your lot, McNair or Masai Ujiri?

McNair's moves made sense for a team you “knew” was a playoff team. For a non-play-off team McNair's moves were a guarantee of the 9-10 pick.

Attachments

Last edited:
I think that Walton thinks he still has a chance of coaching this team next season. Personally, I think those chances were at 0% before the season started. He has shown that his coaching does more to hinder the team's chances of winning than the other way around. I just hope he makes the right choice when he hires a new coach.

Don’t spend 2nd round draft picks at this stage for players like Wright and Harkless??

I think Davis was okay value but notice the team with who many consider the smartest basketball ops guy in the NBA is close to securing our 7 spot. Apparently Ujiri thought in that draft position sending out Davis for a 2nd was a good idea. If you had to bet your life on it with whom would you cast your lot, McNair or Masai Ujiri?

McNair's moves made sense for a team you “knew” was a playoff team. For a non-play-off team McNair's moves were a guarantee of the 9-10 pick.
Obviously, Ujiri's record speaks for itself, but this deadline was an interesting one for him. Even in that position, he did hold on to Lowry, after all.

Obviously, Ujiri's record speaks for itself, but this deadline was an interesting one for him. Even in that position, he did hold on to Lowry, after all.
He did. But let’s face it the pro most likely went from 10 to 7. The rookie went from 7-10. Trading Davis at the deadline was part but certainly not all of the equation.