Tyrese Haliburton

What’s Halliburton’s best comparison as an NBA player? Good at everything basically. His elite skills seems to be vision and anticipation - jumping passing lanes on D, no look passes on offense which also set up some great hesitation moves and ball fakes to break down defenders. Decent size and strength that will probably improve. Seems to be able to score from anywhere and is a good shooter. Able to run the offense and plays very well sharing duties when he’s on the floor with Fox. The only thing we haven’t seen yet from him is doing this in major minutes as a starter with much higher usage and volume. And smart as hell, very serious quick learning high character guy. Can’t think of anyone to really compare that to exactly
I'm not really sure what his comp is. I think the weaknesses of his games on offense are his shot creating and getting to the rim. I don't think he'll ever be a high volume scorer. He just doesn't really look for his shot that much. I think he's the ultimate 3&D PG who can slide to SG. As a playmaker, I'd like to see him breakdown the defenses a bit more. I think he has potential to be an elite playmaker in the NBA, but I don't think he can reach that potential while playing alongside Fox. He's his own unique archetype that fits perfect in this "modern" (not so modern anymore) basketball. He can do a bit of everything on the floor.

His IQ, vision, passing, and playmaking remind me of Chris Paul. I can't really think of a player comp for him. In the draft, I previously went with Malcom Brogdon. I think Haliburton is a better playmaker than him, but Brogdon is the better scorer.

I really haven’t seen enough to give a good comp. I had some players in mind until that hesi-dunk against Toronto and the fake hand off dunk against Miami. I didn’t know Ty had those in his bag. What he is showing now may be just the tip of the iceberg. I really don’t know where his ceiling is.
I think it’s wise not to put a ceiling on anybody. If a player has talent, work ethic and is as smart as Hali seems to be, there really is no ceiling over how good they can become.

Last edited:
The other thing about Tyrese that’s hard to predict is strength. He’s going to get stronger. If he gets to 215 pounds of muscle, then the league is in trouble. Also, his handle and shot are going to get better. He’s just so advanced mentally for his age (really period) that he’s going to maximize his gifts.

Right now my comp would be skinny Iguadala with a better 3. And that’s high praise from me.

I actually don’t see where adding Doug Christie to Jason Kidd gives Jason Kidd any more abilities. Kids was a better defender than Christie. And better at every facet of offense than Doug. And I love me some Doug Christie.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I actually don’t see where adding Doug Christie to Jason Kidd gives Jason Kidd any more abilities. Kids was a better defender than Christie. And better at every facet of offense than Doug. And I love me some Doug Christie.
To be fair, for their careers Doug was a better shooter across the board than Kidd was. FG%, eFG%, TS%, 2pt%, 3pt%, FT%, all skewed towards Christie. Not to detract from Kidd's HOF career but Christie did have him on that count.

Our wonder boy is out of sink on offense. He is shooting less than 34 percent from 3 in the last 11 games and has had a bunch of unforced turnovers. The good news is he is still deflecting passes and setting up teammates for easy buckets. It will be interesting to see if he can find a rhythm again this month. We have a really rough stretch of games coming up so we are going to need him at his best.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our wonder boy is out of sink on offense. He is shooting less than 34 percent from 3 in the last 11 games and has had a bunch of unforced turnovers. The good news is he is still deflecting passes and setting up teammates for easy buckets. It will be interesting to see if he can find a rhythm again this month. We have a really rough stretch of games coming up so we are going to need him at his best.
I mentioned this in the game thread but I think he's just hit the rookie wall. Still able to do a lot out there just because of his smarts & anticipation but his shooting woes seem like tired legs to me.

His last college game was nearly a year ago and he had no Summer League and a very short training camp. It may take a bit but I think he'll get his second wind after a bit.

I mentioned this in the game thread but I think he's just hit the rookie wall. Still able to do a lot out there just because of his smarts & anticipation but his shooting woes seem like tired legs to me.

His last college game was nearly a year ago and he had no Summer League and a very short training camp. It may take a bit but I think he'll get his second wind after a bit.
Sometimes I think he outsmarts himself. He prides himself on not taking bad shots which is great but occasionally he loses aggression when he isn't making shots. I don't want him to force anything, but he can still pressure defense by getting in the paint.

He's exact same height (6-5) as Pete Maravich but he's no Pistol Pete, never will be. He's Haliburton and at this point the 20 year old sensational young talent. I member when Jason Williams (6-1) arrived on the scene in Sac and people were comparing him to Maravich - laughably ridiculous. One thing for sure, Jason entertaining, flashy until he was no longer flashy enough and Kings went out got Mike Bibby to run the point to perfection. Halburton WAY better right now than J-Will ever was (and nothing against the dude). We are so lucky to have Tyrese in Sac and he's going to get better and better. Kind of scary when you think about it, just like Fox scary-dangerous for sure - now elevating into all-star territory.

You should think about leaving. You can think that if you want, but saying it out loud is a serious offense.