Kings exercise Marvin Bagley's fourth-year option for 2021-22 season

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date
I don’t understand the Bagley hate. He has a long way to go. He’s raw. Really raw. And he needs game experience. But he looks like he’s a worker and he’s at least seeing the passes he should be making now (even though he can’t execute them yet). Also - playing next to Holmes is not a great fit at this stage of his career.
Speaking the truth is called hate now a days fine he’s on a path to be a superstar

Speaking the truth is called hate now a days fine he’s on a path to be a superstar
Where in the quote you posted did they mention anything about superstar? I saw raw, worker and seeing things he should but not executing yet. To me that is much closer to saying potential than anything close to superstar. He is a King and he still is young. Most everything else is still to be determined.

I’m one of the people that wanted to draft Bagley. As of right now, it doesn’t look like he’s gonna be all that good in terms of living up to his draft choice and potential. Lets see if this dude can even be healthy for a full season first.

"Bagley can't grab a rebound with two hands" Not the truth...
It's the fundamentals. Like boxing out and boarding with two hands--there is no reason he can't play with centers. Reason why he gets mauled by Ayton and others is he's still trying to out athletic them (easy to do in AAU ball when you're the biggest and most athletic player) when he needs to out fundamental them. Like making sure he actually plays 6'10 rather than 3'5 by using both hands on defense instead of only blocking with his left hand.

There seems to be some important reason to hold expectations of MBIII to a lofty level.

IMO due to his injuries I evaluate him by the number of games he has played. It is almost like he was red shirted last season IMO. Almost like Harry Giles was in his first season as a King..

If you change your perspective on Marvin it helps. Forget the 2018 draft for a moment and just see a talented young player who is 21 years old. he has so much upside, he just needs time on the court.

Those arguing that they want to see it all NOW are being unrealistic IMO. He is currently not big enough to bang with the biggest centers, He can play some minutes at the 5, but not matched up to the Adams of the Association. Give Marvin the time Bam Adebayo has had to develop and then evaluate what kind of player he is.

Can we just watch the young man learn to play in the Association and appreciate him for what he is?

There seems to be some important reason to hold expectations of MBIII to a lofty level.

IMO due to his injuries I evaluate him by the number of games he has played. It is almost like he was red shirted last season IMO. Almost like Harry Giles was in his first season as a King..

If you change your perspective on Marvin it helps. Forget the 2018 draft for a moment and just see a talented young player who is 21 years old. he has so much upside, he just needs time on the court.

Those arguing that they want to see it all NOW are being unrealistic IMO. He is currently not big enough to bang with the biggest centers, He can play some minutes at the 5, but not matched up to the Adams of the Association. Give Marvin the time Bam Adebayo has had to develop and then evaluate what kind of player he is.

Can we just watch the young man learn to play in the Association and appreciate him for what he is?
Why is he not big enough he’s had all this time to add strength this is about to he is third season than he’ll be asking for a max deal after.

Im just saying I don’t see that star potential that people claim just because we took him at 2

Why is he not big enough he’s had all this time to add strength this is about to he is third season than he’ll be asking for a max deal after.

Im just saying I don’t see that star potential that people claim just because we took him at 2
I see a 21 year old who has played in 75 NBA games. He has looked pretty good when he has played. Does he have the "star potential" you speak of??? Heck I don't know:) I'm just going to watch him develop and keep my expectations realistic. If he puts in the work and is coached correctly I think he can be pretty good.

His deal is for two more seasons, right?

It's the fundamentals. Like boxing out and boarding with two hands--there is no reason he can't play with centers. Reason why he gets mauled by Ayton and others is he's still trying to out athletic them (easy to do in AAU ball when you're the biggest and most athletic player) when he needs to out fundamental them. Like making sure he actually plays 6'10 rather than 3'5 by using both hands on defense instead of only blocking with his left hand.
BS, Ayton has not mauled Bagley. If you saw the games instead of blah, blahing to put Bagley down you would know it. You keep blowing the same wind side to side.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don’t understand the Bagley hate. He has a long way to go. He’s raw. Really raw. And he needs game experience. But he looks like he’s a worker and he’s at least seeing the passes he should be making now (even though he can’t execute them yet). Also - playing next to Holmes is not a great fit at this stage of his career.
His name is(n't) Luka...

That's all there is to it.

BS, Ayton has not mauled Bagley. If you saw the games instead of blah, blahing to put Bagley down you would know it. You keep blowing the same wind side to side.
Ayton has outplayed Bagley each time they've matched up. Long term, I prefer Bagley to Ayton (if Bags stays healthy), but until the game slows down for Bagley and until he stops trying to out athletic bigger, just athletic dudes, he's going to look like a kid playing against monsters.

Would be nice to see him play a full year. Trending towards a bust until proven otherwise. And for the record, I’m high on Bag’s potential.
Ayton has outplayed Bagley each time they've matched up. Long term, I prefer Bagley to Ayton (if Bags stays healthy), but until the game slows down for Bagley and until he stops trying to out athletic bigger, just athletic dudes, he's going to look like a kid playing against monsters.

Attachments

They have played three nba games against each other. Ayton has definitely not outplayed Marvin.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/deandre_ayton_vs_marvin_bagley_iii.htm
Note: 2 -1 equals team wins. Not individual wins.

The first game was a Kings blow out until they allowed the Suns to come back in the 2H when the Suns started pressing.

The other two games, Ayton mauled Bags. Look at the FG% in the last two games. Ayton was close to 2X more efficient. Blocks 100% to 400%x.

Last edited:
It's your mind brother..Imagine what you want, the stats bear out that Ayton averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds while Bags Averaged 20 and 9 Rebounds and the Kings won two out of the three....And I saw the games, and saw no evidence of mauling.

You can keep on nit picking whille watching Lou Dobbs but I'm done with this.

It's your mind brother..Imagine what you want, the stats bear out that Ayton averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds while Bags Averaged 20 and 9 Rebounds and the Kings won two out of the three....And I saw the games, and saw no evidence of mauling.

You can keep on nit picking whille watching Lou Dobbs but I'm done with this.
Volume and efficiency doesn’t matter apparently. Marcus Thornton had numbers too.

There are people still actively rooting against him let's not pretend otherwise and we all know why that is.
Yes... we all know why! It's staring us right in the face.

It's because...

Marvin Bagley is worse than a bust! He's a Wiggins-class franchise destroying torpedo! He won't bumble and stumble around like a bust and he'll past the eye test to a certain extent, but he's our Wiggins. With a bust you can tell he sucks right away and cut your losses, but Bagley has enough counting stats, highlight plays, and potential to dedicate coaching, money, and playing time to a net negative player. And because of this, you know the fanbase/media is going to fling back and forth on the whole "Is he good? Is he bad? shtick". Gross.

As for why, well it's what I said on another thread.

"Same thing with Bagley; you can be athletic as hell, you can have expert body control, but no one posts-up or faces-up their big anymore, especially their 4. The moment you try you're already losing."