Kings exercise Marvin Bagley's fourth-year option for 2021-22 season

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Why so early?

He's set to make 11.3 million next year. May as well get a look at him and his health first.
Didn't we go through this with Giles? If you don't pick up the option he is an unrestricted FA and we can't outbid the extension. That would be the most foolish thing ever given he was a 2nd overall pick and not remotely as injury plagued as Giles.

Didn't we go through this with Giles? If you don't pick up the option he is an unrestricted FA and we can't outbid the extension. That would be the most foolish thing ever given he was a 2nd overall pick and not remotely as injury plagued as Giles.
The deadline for teams to exercise third- and fourth-year 2021/22 options for players on rookie scale contracts will be December 29

Why not wait until then?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
But 11.3 million is a decent amount of the cap, he hardly played last year. Why wouldn't you see how things go during camp and preseason first?
Because either a) he's been given a clean bill of health or b) (and more likely) they are going to do it even if he misses the whole season because there is no way they are going to admit defeat on this pick at this moment.

Because either a) he's been given a clean bill of health or b) (and more likely) they are going to do it even if he misses the whole season because there is no way they are going to admit defeat on this pick at this moment.
I guess that's possible, someone else mentioned establishes some goodwill in a situation where the relationship isn't perfect at another site. I'm just worried he gets hurt again right off the bat.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The deadline for teams to exercise third- and fourth-year 2021/22 options for players on rookie scale contracts will be December 29

Why not wait until then?
Because you don't want to go into a season with that option hanging over a player's head. Not exercising it before the season starts is a vote of no confidence. Until this year, that has never been an issue because the option came due during training camp. This year things are crazy, and the NBA made a decision (a poor decision in my opinion) to extend that option deadline a week into the season. McNair got out in front of that and picked up the option before the season started and took all the "drama" away. Good. Let Marvin focus on basketball, and not worry that every little turnover or missed layup or sprained ankle might cost him $11M.

Would be nice to see him play a full year. Trending towards a bust until proven otherwise. And for the record, I’m high on Bag’s potential.

Before Bagley got injured his rookie season, he showed flashes of being dominant in several games. He still can become a good player if staying away from getting injured. But It doesn't look like he will become a dominant player consistently - maybe an average to above-average starter, like Barnes.

I doubt he's going to be worth it this year, probably not next year either. And on the open market he wouldn't get that much on a one year show me deal. But his upside is worth the gamble, much like Harry's should've been.

Seems many still can't see Bagley's as a player. Yes he's been hurt. All minor injuries trying to do too much if you ask me. Malcolm Brogdon took him out on a dirty play also. The Kings drafted Bagley to mesh with Fox since they are similarly fast.

Right now, not a clue what the Kings are trying to do. Since day one, I thought they would join Bagley/Hield/Fox at the hip in the starting lineup. Joerger did not buy in, turned into a drama queen and is now Doc River's water boy.

Fox is not hitting 3's but worse is being at 70% Ft's for 3 years... Small guys with that style of play must be at least 80% or the team can't win.

And Bagley is a superstar and top 5 player in this league but the Kings keep FIUP.

Seems many still can't see Bagley's as a player. Yes he's been hurt. All minor injuries trying to do too much if you ask me. Malcolm Brogdon took him out on a dirty play also. The Kings drafted Bagley to mesh with Fox since they are similarly fast.

Right now, not a clue what the Kings are trying to do. Since day one, I thought they would join Bagley/Hield/Fox at the hip in the starting lineup. Joerger did not buy in, turned into a drama queen and is now Doc River's water boy.

Fox is not hitting 3's but worse is being at 70% Ft's for 3 years... Small guys with that style of play must be at least 80% or the team can't win.

And Bagley is a superstar and top 5 player in this league but the Kings keep FIUP.
Bagley a superstar? I'd settle for the following:

1. Has the poise and BBIQ to recognize opposing defenses instead of doing his usual back down his defender, on his left hand, into a double team.
2. Become a league average passer from the high post.
3. HIt 35% from 3.
4. Stay healthy for a full year.
5. Block a shot with his right hand. Deflect a shot with his right hand. Rebound with his right hand. Rebound with both hands. Drive with both hands.
6. Box out his man.

What he has improved on? Pivoting off of either shoulder. Finishing with his right hand from time to time.

1. Has the poise and BBIQ to recognize opposing defenses instead of doing his usual back down his defender, on his left hand, into a double team.
3. HIt 35% from 3.
5. Block a shot with his right hand. Deflect a shot with his right hand. Rebound with his right hand. Rebound with both hands. Drive with both hands.
6. Box out his man.

What he has improved on? Pivoting off of either shoulder. Finishing with his right hand from time to time.
Dude, it has been TWO games:) Preseason at that.

I hope Bagley improves but it seems like he will never live up to his draft position. I've always said that you shouldnt put a lot of recources on players that arent good shooters, cant create offense for others AND if they are big men that arent good defenders. You can get play finishing big men very easily and very cheaply on free agency. Post offense in general is very low efficency unless you are an anomaly at scoring from there or unless you are awesome at passing from the post.

The question becomes: if you cant create offense for others, what are you going to do and how will you create value both offensively and defensively? On offense can you stretch the floor and help the team that way? Are you mostly finishing plays under the basket on situations that are created by others? What if there is already a guy under the basket and if you go there too the spacing will be horrible?

Then on defense are you a big net positive? Especially for a big man thats an important question since big men are very important on how good the team is defensively. You can be a productive player even if you cant create for others offensively and arent a net positive defensively. That just puts a big limit on your potential value as a player whatever the box score stats are.

I don’t understand the Bagley hate. He has a long way to go. He’s raw. Really raw. And he needs game experience. But he looks like he’s a worker and he’s at least seeing the passes he should be making now (even though he can’t execute them yet). Also - playing next to Holmes is not a great fit at this stage of his career.

I don’t understand the Bagley hate. He has a long way to go. He’s raw. Really raw. And he needs game experience. But he looks like he’s a worker and he’s at least seeing the passes he should be making now (even though he can’t execute them yet). Also - playing next to Holmes is not a great fit at this stage of his career.
No hate. I hope he thrives, but he's entering his 3rd year. Regardless of whether he's played or not, the things that he still does, they're inexcusable for someone who has been in a pro environment for 2+ years.

I'm evaluating him as a third year pro.
And you seem to be obsessed with his right hand as you mentioned it like 6 times.

3. HIt 35% from 3.
6. Box out his man.

No hate. I hope he thrives, but he's entering his 3rd year. Regardless of whether he's played or not, the things that he still does, they're inexcusable for someone who has been in a pro environment for 2+ years.

And you seem to be obsessed with his right hand as you mentioned it like 6 times.
Learning to pass from the high post, recognize defensive schemes, or use your right hand to block shots rather than to turn your entire body so you can go for blocks with your left hand (and thereby lose crucial nano seconds) are things that should be easily learned after two years in a professional environment.