Woj: Kings let Bogi go

i suspected so. i think the 15% is paid by and counts against the cap of the trading team (spread across the guaranteed years of the contract), ie the Kings. so the receiving team would be taking on 18.
Has been suggested (by folks lobbying for us to match, I might add) that we pay but the other team takes the cap hit.

IF what you are suggesting is true, he becomes almost impossible to trade without a ton of extra pieces, since it would jack up the whole matching salaries thing.

They were asking for Hinkie, but obviously they aren't ready for it. To really get some assets from this roster, you have to trade Fox. This is a much gentler rebuild.
I think what's lost on all of these people is to have it avoid coming to that regardless, you have to hit hard and hit fast. Not win 30 games for the 8th pick, not retain Bogi and trade him for a decent young player and a late first round pick Not build chemistry or whatever and not run it back with Vlade Divac's goddamn roster.

because the contract the Bucks were trying to trade for and the contract Bogi signed are completely different.
Bottom line: the KINGS rebuild just got longer, not shorter.

The “Financial flexibility’ excuse is just that. An excuse. Financial flexibility has done NOTHING for this franchise. Ever.

Just a few Summer’s ago, the KINGS were top 3 in money under the cap. How’d that work out?

When Petrie built the ONLY winner this city has ever seen, he didn’t do it with top 3 picks gathered by tanking. And he didn’t do it allowing a coveted all-around player that fit the style being played at the time walk away for no return.

And don’t tell me about Brian Grant. Grant‘s skillset didn’t fit a myriad of teams as Bogdanovic’s does today. A player that can handle, pass and shoot.

Some of you are making it personal about Bogdanovic. Because you don‘t like his game, perceived attitude or fit on the team. Well, I’m not a huge fan of Bogdanovic either. But I still can recognize the player is coveted because of his skillset. And the fact that he doesn’t cost max money. He’s totally worth holding on to in a game of poker.

But per usual with this franchise — and apparently to remain unchanged with this new FO —they continue to go left when they should go right and vice versa.

I’m glad some of you are happy that the rebuild got longer and harder. I’m not. So I’ll bow out of this thread and allow you to continue to feel victorious.

Eff this franchise.

I am not a happy fan tonight. But I understand. We are building around Fox. Hield and Barnes contracts get easier to deal every year. If Haliburton develops into a player and we find a player in next year’s draft - things will be looking up.

Come on man, I know it didn’t go the way you wanted but at least give Monte a year before you decide he sucks. I thought his team did a fantastic job with the draft and that alone is huge for our franchise. We still have assets to move. belly and Cojo could definitely go at the break. If Hali breaks out, I could see Buddy getting moved at the break but it won’t surprise me is he turns it around and ends up on the roster next year. You yourself expect the kings to have a top 5 pick next year and with the right talent evaluation we could really have something soon.
Look I am fine with the decision, I’m not fine with having another GM that doesn’t know the CBA and can’t think more than 2 steps ahead. This isn’t a team like Charlotte putting in a bid out of the blue and 20M over your top offer. Atlanta only had 19M left in the cap.

Figuring out what type of hostile offer Bogi would get was not hard. They had months to game plan out the options for this scenario....

1) if you want flexibility you fold early, maybe get a second and take your TPE which to some ones question does apply to teams under the cap:

210 Article VII
to Section 6(j)(5) below, a Team with a Team Salary below the Salary Cap may (i) replace a Traded Player with one (1) or more Replacement Players whose Player Contracts are acquired simultaneously and whose post-trade Salaries for the then-current Season, in the aggregate, are no more than an amount equal to the greater of: (w) the lesser of: (A) one hundred seventy-five (175%) of the pre-trade Salary of the Traded Player, plus $100,000; or (B) one hundred percent (100%) of the pre-trade Salary of the Traded Player, plus $5 million; or (x) one hundred twenty-five percent (125%) of the pre-trade Salary of the Traded Player, plus $100,000; or (ii) aggregate the pre-trade Salaries in two (2) or more Player Contracts for the purpose of acquiring in a simultaneous trade one (1) or more Replacement Players whose post-trade Salaries, in the aggregate, are no more than an amount equal to the greater of: (y) lesser of: (C) one hundred seventy-five (175%) of the pre-trade aggregated Salaries of the Traded Players, plus $100,000; or (D) the pre-trade aggregated Salaries of the Traded Players, plus $5 million; or (z) one hundred twenty-five percent (125%) of the pre-trade aggregated Salaries of the Traded Players, plus $100,000. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, no Player Contract acquired pursuant to an Exception may, for a period of two months from the date the Player Contract is acquired, be aggregated with any other Contract for purposes of a trade in accordance with this Section 6(j)(3).

2) if you are going to go all in and have them submit a hostile offer you match and trade Bogi at a later date.

To fold and get nothing was a big indication we have yet another GM in over his head. I’m just not in the mood to go through this movie a third time.

The “Financial flexibility’ excuse is just that. An excuse. Financial flexibility has done NOTHING for this franchise. Ever.

Just a few Summer’s ago, the KINGS were top 3 in money under the cap. How’d that work out?

When Petrie built the ONLY winner this city has ever seen, he didn’t do it with top 3 picks gathered by tanking. And he didn’t do it allowing a coveted all-around player that fit the style being played at the time walk away for no return.

And don’t tell me about Brian Grant. Grant‘s skillset didn’t fit a myriad of teams as Bogdanovic’s does today. A player that can handle, pass and shoot.

Some of you are making it personal about Bogdanovic. Because you don‘t like his game, perceived attitude or fit on the team. Well, I’m not a huge fan of Bogdanovic either. But I still can recognize the player is coveted because of his skillset. And the fact that he doesn’t cost max money. He’s totally worth holding on to in a game of poker.

But per usual with this franchise — and apparently to remain unchanged with this new FO —they continue to go left when they should go right and vice versa.

I’m glad some of you are happy that the rebuild got longer and harder. I’m not. So I’ll bow out of this thread and allow you to continue to feel victorious.

Eff this franchise.
Kings have lost one starter from last year and a few bench pieces. It's going to be ok.

Eff this franchise.
it’s worse than an excuse. It’s an indication of poor planning and not knowing the CBA. As a strategy it may not be my choice but had you at least executed it, I could have respected it....

if flexibility was your goal you should have folded early and come out with a TPE to increase your flexibility down the road. That would have maximized your flexibility. That would have been executing a well thought and executed strategy.

When Atlanta got down to 19M you should have known then whether you were in or out. To call their bluff then fold was not well prepared or executed. It’s the kind of dumb crap strategic planning that should make the ownership group rethink their choice.

I voted match the offer - but am not too bothered we didn't. There isn't enough room on the team for both Bogi and Buddy and results from the past two seasons don't offer strong support for the pairing. It would have been good to get something back for Bogi - and it seems the front office tried to do so with the Milwaukie trade - but I guess that window was not open long enough for McNair.

For me - under coach Walton's system - Bogi was the slightly better player than Buddy. But in a system with more constraints Buddy's value jumps. Maybe - during a simple sit down - McNair tells Walton 'Buddy + <3 dribbles = bucket, Buddy + >3 dribbles = turnover' and presto, Buddy Buckets makes his return.

I think lost in all this is that Vlade probably would have signed him to something more like $20 mil per. Everyone who is really upset is upset at the wrong guy. Monte didn't have months to prepare. He just got here. And he did put together the best deal he had (which was received lukewarmly at best, though arguably better than KCP or Kuzma) and then someone blew it up.

Come on man, I know it didn’t go the way you wanted but at least give Monte a year before you decide he sucks. I thought his team did a fantastic job with the draft and that alone is huge for our franchise. We still have assets to move. belly and Cojo could definitely go at the break. If Hali breaks out, I could see Buddy getting moved at the break but it won’t surprise me is he turns it around and ends up on the roster next year. You yourself expect the kings to have a top 5 pick next year and with the right talent evaluation we could really have something soon.
look I wish you all the best. Anyone that is still a fan of this team deserves something good to happen.

I’m just not up to watching this same movie a third time. It was an obvious situation that any competent GM could and should have had a game plan. Schenk made it easy for them and they still blew it.

if flexibility were your plan you should have folded early and gotten the TPE and a 2nd.

if you weren’t going to fold then you should have matched.

instead you just signaled the whole league you don’t do basic scenario planning and can’t play poker.

1) if you want flexibility you fold early, maybe get a second and take your TPE which to some ones question does apply to teams under the cap:
Are you thinking the Kings should have called up Atlanta and said, Hey for a second rounder and a TPE, bogi is yours? I'm assuming the Hawks were prepared to call the King's bluff. It's also possible that Monte offered something similar and was rejected.

I get what you are saying about signing and then trading him next year. A signed Bogi on a reasonable deal could potentially be worth a late first rounder. There is a solid argument to be made there.

I think Monte ultimately decided team chemistry, the opportunity to raise Buddy's value, 2021 draft considerations, financial flexibility and the need to shake up an unsuccessful roster outweighed *potential* future draft capital.

Eff this franchise.
Sorry your bummed, but since I brought up disappointment was losing Brian Grant for nothing, thought I’d say.
I too have been a Kings fan since 85, even before actually as I was originally from Omaha. We King fans have seen more than our fair share of disappointment and so much because of absolute crap for management and ownership, but back to Grant. We were dismal before drafting him and Michael Smith, they both at least gave many fans something to get excited about back in a day when Power forwards and Centers were most valued.
Yeah it sucks to lose a decent player for nothing, and Bogdans skillset aligns better with todays game, but IMO that felt like a more devastating lose.

Are you thinking the Kings should have called up Atlanta and said, Hey for a second rounder and a TPE, bogi is yours? I'm assuming the Hawks were prepared to call the King's bluff. It's also possible that Monte offered something similar and was rejected.

I get what you are saying about signing and then trading him next year. A signed Bogi on a reasonable deal could potentially be worth a late first rounder. There is a solid argument to be made there.

I think Monte ultimately decided team chemistry, the opportunity to raise Buddy's value, 2021 draft considerations, financial flexibility and the need to shake up an unsuccessful roster outweighed *potential* future draft capital.
good lord ...

For a second rounder Atlanta would have been happy to not put those restrictions in the contract that they have to live with.

A TPE is not something the Hawks give. It’s a function of a one sided trade.

I’m not arguing the strategy. I’m arguing he didn’t even execute his own strategy.

if flexibility were his goal he should have taken a TPE early.
It’s a fair critique. Outmaneuvered again—the hallmark of Vivek’s tenure. I guess we’ll see if Monte has a Plan B.

Also, Jason Jones is still a mediocre reporter and a Laker fan, and easily Sam Amick’s worst hiring decision. I’ll sign up for the Athletic when Sam finally, actually writes about the real machinations of the ownership group, and defines what input the COO has had on basketball ops and why no one dares mention the COO in any media. Until then....any meddling innuendo is just clickbait.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Will this get you off the ledge?

David Locke @Lockedonsports
According to @The_BBall_Index of 103 guards that played 1000 minutes Bogdan Bogdanovic 3pt% = C Pull up 3 pt% = D+ C&S 3pt% = C Perimeter Shooting = B Finishing Talent = D+ Isolation EFG% = B- Isolation Foul Drawing= D- Playmaking Talent = B- Offensive Reb = F Def Reb= C
It’s what I’ve been saying, he’s not that good. And tonight the Kings got better. McNair is killing it right now.