Woj: Kings let Bogi go

Taking the purple tinted glasses off and besides fox, you have and injury proned player, a player that slid down the draft in one of the weakest drafts in recent history and 2 second round picks. Ok putting them back on now
It remains to be seen if this draft really was "weak" or if it just didn't get built up when all the conference and NCAA tourneys were cancelled and the combine didn't happen. So much happens during that period to hyping a class without it, its all a bit circumspect and so I think that's why people kept calling out value in the 30s and there were guys like Haliburton that some people had in the top 4 and apparent reaches all over the place. Because nobody ever got to see these kids when everything was on the line.

This again? Might as well say you don't care when Buddy Hield dribbles it off his leg out of bounds. Why the salary cap matters to the fans even if it's not your money is just... so... basic...

BTW, those who talk about acquiring assets mean draft picks or players under 25 on a rookie contract. Not a ho-hum shooting guard just good enough to put the 2021 draft (which btw is just as good and top-heavy as 2018). Signing Bogi is signing George Hill all over again.
Technically George Hill got us Shumpert, filler and a second round pick, and shumpert then got us another second round pick and filler. So we did end up with some assets. Then end results of couple 2020 second round picks aint much, but it's better than nothing

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It remains to be seen if this draft really was "weak" or if it just didn't get built up when all the conference and NCAA tourneys were cancelled and the combine didn't happen. So much happens during that period to hyping a class without it, its all a bit circumspect and so I think that's why people kept calling out value in the 30s and there were guys like Haliburton that some people had in the top 4 and apparent reaches all over the place. Because nobody ever got to see these kids when everything was on the line.
Ramsey in particular strikes me as a guy who was a couple of hot games in March away from suddenly shooting up into the mid-lotto.

Technically George Hill got us Shumpert, filler and a second round pick, and shumpert then got us another second round pick and filler. So we did end up with some assets. Then end results of couple 2020 second round picks aint much, but it's better than nothing
If that means even marginally putting our chances for a 2021 pick at risk, then I don't really care. Even if Bogi would've gotten us back a more realistic package like... I don't know KCP and a late first... I don't care.

which is why im praying that Monte is a great talent evaluater and scored us a few late draft steals.

Agreed. I don't think the draft was weak in that the players sucked, it was weak in the sense that value likely would vary from team to team which makes it hard to game plan and prepare for. That and there wasn't any real, clear cut superstars. Like with Haliburton. He's got potential for sure but if you think he's purely franchise altering talent in the form of a number 1 option you might be a bit disappointed. He could be but he might be more of a rich mans Doug Christie with hopefully a more consistent shot. By the way, I think DC was franchise altering for the Kings and was more capable of productivity himself. In Toronto he was putting up some numbers offensively. With the Kings he was one of the most important pieces on that team if not the most important. Like Dennis Johnson was with the Celtics although prior to taking the glue spot he was all star level talent. Still those teams weren't where they got to without them.

Agreed. I don't think the draft was weak in that the players sucked, it was weak in the sense that value likely would vary from team to team which makes it hard to game plan and prepare for. That and there wasn't any real, clear cut superstars. Like with Haliburton. He's got potential for sure but if you think he's purely franchise altering talent in the form of a number 1 option you might be a bit disappointed. He could be but he might be more of a rich mans Doug Christie with hopefully a more consistent shot. By the way, I think DC was franchise altering for the Kings and was more capable of productivity himself. In Toronto he was putting up some numbers offensively. With the Kings he was one of the most important pieces on that team if not the most important. Like Dennis Johnson was with the Celtics although prior to taking the glue spot he was all star level talent. Still those teams weren't where they got to without them.
I'd be over the moon if he is a 2020 Doug Christie.

I see a lot of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in him. Maybe not as creative a finisher, but a bit better of a shooter and playmaker.

All of this over Bogi? I'm truly surprised. You can't will a deal into existence. Sometimes you have to let go in order to move forward.
well we had that deal and it blew up. Bogi and Buddy both seems intent on tanking their trade value, buddy’s twitter activity case in point. If your assets are screaming to high heavens that they want to leave, they really aren’t much of assets at all. Vlade left us this mess it’s better to just let it move on

This again? Might as well say you don't care when Buddy Hield dribbles it off his leg out of bounds. Why the salary cap matters to the fans even if it's not your money is just... so... basic...

BTW, those who talk about acquiring assets mean draft picks or players under 25 on a rookie contract. Not a ho-hum shooting guard just good enough to put the 2021 draft pick in jeopardy(which btw is just as good and top-heavy as 2018). Signing Bogi is signing George Hill all over again.
LMAO about “basic”. It’s 100% truth. Prove me wrong. I won’t bother holding my breath.

Next, smart guy, if you had the ability to think more than one dimensionally, retaining that ho-hum shooting guard could have netted exactly what you outlined. It already did if not for the incompetence of the MIL Bucks.

If just for a little bit of patience, it would have done so again.

If you can’t see past retaining Bogdanovic for the lame reason you cite, there’s really no helping you. You just don’t get it.

I see a lot of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in him. Maybe not as creative a finisher, but a bit better of a shooter and playmaker.
I've heard that an maybe in some ways for sure. I don't think he's as good a natural scorer but there is one thing in particular I think that sets Haliburton apart. His athletic ability and mostly his first step. I mean, he's just about as quick off the step as Fox is. Also in the open floor with or without the ball he's got that same gazelle like speed and fluidity that DC had. Haliburtons strides are next level. But he's got to get some size on him otherwise it might not mean much.

Signing free agents isn’t the only way to utilize cap space
And enlighten me how that matters too?

It’s not like Bogdan’s contract would be on the books forever. We’re not talking about Kenny Thomas or John Salmons here. Is one year gonna hinder the chances at some pipedream acquisition with the available cap space.

C’mon now. You guys are really reaching for excuses.

It’s not like Bogdan’s contract would be on the books forever. We’re not talking about Kenny Thomas or John Salmons here. Is one year gonna hinder the chances at some pipedream acquisition with the available cap space.

No contract is on forever. It just has to be on long enough and at the wrong time to mess up your plans. This team is at a crossroads. Are they good enough to compete? Are they not? And if not what's the play from there. More salary means more possibilities of missing out on potential somewhere. More bodies means someone getting paid or with high hopes is getting squashed out of your rotation. I mean, I guess people never learn. We just saw years of Hill/Dedmons situations and it showed exactly why it's unwise to just simply "acquire assets and figure it out later".

This isn't NBA 2K. Having a few disgruntled guys in your team will not do anyone anything good
More excuses.

Who gives an eff if the players are unhappy? Is that all that’s holding this team back from greatness?? SMH.

Besides, I thought 85% of this forum wants to purposely tank and lose games in order to play a low odds game of lottery craps the KINGS have largely been unlucky at anyway ... so wouldn’t it just help that cause?

These player’s are under contract. Screw them of they don’t like their role. It’s only temporary anyway. These player’s being happy and content sure wasn’t landing the KINGS in the postseason the past 14 years.

So what’s the next excuse?

I was going on the trade Buddy bandwagon. It’s sucks that we lose Bogi for nothing, but I’m not gonna get up in arms about it. As mentioned, the time to do this trade was last year.
Commence the tank!

we've been fans since day one. I appreciate you not liking this move, I really do. But how many times in 35 years have we seen it work in our favor? We have maybe had 5 trades that we definitively won in 35 years. (Rock, Webber, Miller, Artest, Buddy) Of those 5, we took Webber and Artest on as last chance reclamations and Buddy was trashed up and down until Cousins went down with a career altering injury a year later. Miller was a S&T deal, which really only leaves Richmond as the only blatantly favorable trade in our history, and that is because our top draft pick (#3 overall, the 3rd highest in our Sacramento history) refused to play for us.

I get that it is a bitter pill, but really if the reality was trading him last season for KCP or Kuzma, would you have been happier?

also, consider what we got for IT and for Reke. Losing a RFA is always painful. We're getting a fresh start, and just based on the draft this GM seems a mile ahead of anyone we've had since the Maloofs started overruling Petrie.
No on Kuzma, of course. ;)

But this FO lined up the MIL trade, didn’t they? If not for incompetence by MIL, that trade would have went through. So what makes you so certain they couldn’t have lined up a similar deal at the deadline, or next offseason??

IMO, this reeks of cheap ownership struggling financially. Cause I don’t believe for one moment McNair wanted to make this decision. That’s why they waited til closer to the 11th hour.

Things are never going to change with this franchise. Not with this ownership group.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

4 years is forever in basketball terms

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

But this FO lined up the MIL trade, didn’t they? If not for incompetence by MIL, that trade would have went through. So what makes you so certain they couldn’t have lined up a similar deal at the deadline, or next offseason??

IMO, this reeks of cheap ownership struggling financially. Cause I don’t believe for one moment McNair wanted to make this decision. That’s why they waited til closer to the 11th hour.

Things are never going to change with this franchise. Not with this ownership group.
because the contract the Bucks were trying to trade for and the contract Bogi signed are completely different.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
As much as people complained about Vlade, they were more comfortable with him shuffling chairs on the deck than they are with a GM remaking and building a team.

McNair is removing obstacles that would keep the young players from developing. When they develop, they become better assets.
God, could you imagine the implosion if McNair had enacted a full blown Process Tankathon?

LMAO about “basic”. It’s 100% truth. Prove me wrong. I won’t bother holding my breath.

Next, smart guy, if you had the ability to think more than one dimensionally, retaining that ho-hum shooting guard could have netted exactly what you outlined. It already did if not for the incompetence of the MIL Bucks.

If just for a little bit of patience, it would have done so again.

If you can’t see past retaining Bogdanovic for the lame reason you cite, there’s really no helping you. You just don’t get it.
I mean, god... the cap affects your ability to make trades and sign FAs. It affects everything your team does so as a fan watching you should be affected watching your team stagnate or be able to make moves to make themselves better. (Why even bring up John Salmons and Kenny Thomas, it ain't your money...)

I don't give a flying **** about Divencenzo... I don't even give a flying **** about Divincenzo and the 24th if it means risking depreciating the 2021 pick. Divencenzo was a nice get in the face of a sign-and-trade for a RFA. If that's the type of deal you're holding out for, I don't care.

We'll never quite know what the MIL deal was but it was rumored to be in the 15 mil/per range. So taking him at 20 mil in a future trade may not have been in the cards.