REPORT: Bogdan Bogdanovic in S&T to Bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in the context of Bogi's being a restricted free agent, he easily could have been lost for nothing. The problem was that the Kings were in a lose-lose situation. Lose him for nothing or S&T him for pretty much nothing. At least this way if Donte or DJ pan out to useful players, there's some benefit
RFA literally means we *can’t* lose him for nothing as long as we’re willing to match an offer sheet

Jrue Holiday is not worth 3 1st round picks and picks swaps! He is not a top 20 player
It's not about Jrue, it's about making an appeal to Giannis saying "Hey, we went all-in can you sign your max-extension now?"

Wouldn't surprise me if we see the Giannis extension here soon and they got some assurances he'd resign if they went and got a star. That's what this is. It's putting all the chips in the middle and hoping Giannis thinks its enough to continue to compete for championships.

The other thing is there is a tendency to over value picks. People would have been thrilled to get a first round pick for bogi. Guess what? We just got
The 17th pick in the 2018 draft with nba playoff experience.
We also have to #2 pick in the 2014 draft on our team. So what? The value in a future first round pick is that we can potentially pick a better player as opposed to a player already drafted a few years back. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t see many people mad about divincenzo, we just thought we would get more.

It's not about Jrue, it's about making an appeal to Giannis saying "Hey, we went all-in can you sign your max-extension now?"

Wouldn't surprise me if we see the Giannis extension here soon and they got some assurances he'd resign if they went and got a star. That's what this is. It's putting all the chips in the middle and hoping Giannis thinks its enough to continue to compete for championships.
I understand that and my point still stands. NO again makes out like bandits amidst a rebuild...again, and the kings are left with scraps and toiling around with blah trades . I like Donte and he is improving, but this is just kind of pointless here.

We also have to #2 pick in the 2014 draft on our team. So what? The value in a future first round pick is that we can potentially pick a better player as opposed to a player already drafted a few years back. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t see many people mad about divincenzo, we just thought we would get more.
What more are you going to get since he's a RFA? Certain number of teams he'd be willing to sign with AND that team has to agree to give up assets to do it. How do you protect against ATL offering 20 mil/season?

I agree with you here. Retaining Giannis >>>>>>>> anything Milwaukee could possibly give up to do it

Donte is good.
He is a hard-nosed defender with amazimg advanced stats (per 36) 9th in stls, 3rd in def rating. . .
The NBA cares about offense. What we need is guaranteed youth, wings, and defense. DD is a huge shot in the arm for our needs.

Bogi could have been lost for nothing, but instead we got a "real asset" Woj.
Giles is a question mark (DJ is guaranteed). I'll be honest I don't know mich about DJ.
Justin was not doing anything a G-league player was doing better.

What if Lewis is gone and the Kings aren't sold on Maxey or other guards. Now we can look at a defensive wing or a big. Bey?

My simple take. Donte is some 5 years younger than Bogdan and is likely to not question coming off the bench. From what I am hearing hes got a lot of promise.
I like that Wilson is from the Sacramento area. I was surprised how high he went in the 2017 draft.

I understand that and my point still stands. NO again makes out like bandits amidst a rebuild...again, and the kings are left with scraps and toiling around with blah trades . I like Donte and he is improving, but this is just kind of pointless here.
No, you're seeing the power of a forward thinking front-office that isn't content to be a 6-8 seed for all eternity. Jrue Holiday is an awesome, awesome player, but there was a good chance he'd be leaving next season and the Pelicans virtually have no chance to win a championship with their current core; even expecting a big leap from Zion next season.

This move from the Kings is a step in that direction. Maybe Bogi gives us a win or 2 more than Donte D (even though I don't think that's necessarily true with the leap I expect from Donte), but you're not getting any closer to the goal of winning a championship and you're not bottoming out enough to be in real contention for a high draft pick.

considering most late first rounders don’t pan out id take the under on finding a better player than Donte in a future draft. If we had Bogi under contract for a couple years, yeh id expect more. I’d say an additional first for sure. But the more I think about it, the more fair I think it is.

No, you're seeing the power of a forward thinking front-office that isn't content to be a 6-8 seed for all eternity. Jrue Holiday is an awesome, awesome player, but there was a good chance he'd be leaving next season and the Pelicans virtually have no chance to win a championship with their current core; even expecting a big leap from Zion next season.
not sure what we are debating here. NO FO is and has been doing it right and they have a bright future and assets. Kings continue to not do it right

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
not sure what we are debating here. NO FO is and has been doing it right and they have a bright future and assets. Kings continue to not do it right
what else could they have done in this situation? A pick would have been nice in addition to Donte but the Bucks literally had none left

How is this trade not doing it right? You get a significantly younger wing prospect who plays on both ends; a project big to fill the Giles slot and you don't tie up your cap space to a core that won't make the playoffs or get much better. I fail to see the downside here.

How is this trade not doing it right? You get a significantly younger wing prospect who plays on both ends; a project big to fill the Giles slot and you don't tie up your cap space to a core that won't make the playoffs or get much better. I fail to see the downside here.
well then you and I disagree. This is not a trade that netted assets. You can argue Donte could be a valuable asset at some point, but that remains to be seen.

what else could they have done in this situation? A pick would have been nice in addition to Donte but the Bucks literally had none left
I have no clue. Tired of watching other teams like NO, OKC etc, that were in the same boat as the kings, make the right moves that net them assets and still allow them to be competitive ..,then you have the kings

Then the Hawks say "Lol F U", sign him to a big offer sheet, we balk and match and later have to attach assets to get rid of a bloated contract like we would Barnes.
No this means we’re smart and if he signs some stupidly overvalued contract with the Hawks we let him go and let them deal with that mess

There is a happy medium between a S&T, matching a decent offer, or letting him walk for an overvalued sheet, and that’s called leverage.

What we’re really competing against is Bogi signing the qualifying offer and waiting out for free agency next year. But it’s obvious Bogi wants to go to a contender and that contenders will want him (something I’ve been saying for a while and has just been proven). So that’s the resolution all sides are driving towards while also competing with each other for maximizing their value.

That resolution was achieved with Bogi and Jrue going to the Bucks, 3 picks + 2 swaps going to the Pelicans, and a 3rd year player with potential to be a decent outside rotation role player going to the Kings. We lost that race and lost badly

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
well then you and I disagree. This is not a trade that netted assets. You can argue Donte could be a valuable asset at some point, but that remains to be seen.
He already is. Honestly I’m kinda surprised the Bucks valued Bogi enough to offer Donte up in a trade. Considering their cap situation, a young cost controlled defender/secondary ball handler is pure gold.
He’s not gonna be a superstar but if I had to chose between him and a late first, I’d probably take him

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So glad this happened. Bogdan as a franchise building block is a crappy losing franchise. This team is in no position to give a big deal to a player of Bogdan’s quality. He should actually slot in nicely with the Bucks as a lower option behind other superior players.

Status
Not open for further replies.